What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Schtick needed - owner is trying to be "inspiring" (1 Viewer)

Jayrod

Footballguy
Below is an email one of the owners in our company sent out.    Advice needed for how to handle this:

Vultures and Hummingbirds

Would you rather be a vulture or a hummingbird, metaphorically speaking?  Our thoughts matter.

A vulture exerts little effort, flapping infrequently, as it glides around in a spiral of decline.  He is in search of death and decay, and an opportunity to capitalize on another’s misfortune.  Even minor mistakes or shortcomings can produce such opportunity for a meal, once the actual battles have been fought.  He dwells in the past and eats what he looks for.

A hummingbird zips around with wings beating a million miles per hour.  He’s focused on beautiful things, and he quickly moves beyond the rest.  His efforts always result in the sweetness of nectar.  Results are life giving and energizing to the future.

You can find them both working the same desert.

Our thoughts precipitate results in our lives.  How we think is a choice.  Philippians 4:8 gives us a frame of reference to the moral excellence on which we can choose to focus our thoughts and efforts.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.  Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

I’ve prayed you are blessed to produce life giving, morally excellent results this week in your lives and in our business, and you’re an light to all around you.

(Granted, I’m a little uncomfortable comparing myself to a little hummingbird.  I wish I could have found a metaphor for a tiger or something more masculine.)  Hopefully, y’all don’t laugh at my writing this morning.  I’m trying to commit to being more of who I want to be as a leader, and I hope to share some research and a thought each week with you.
Jokes/schtick welcome.  The best part is that this is a construction company with several office staff being former blue-collar guys.  F-bombs are a daily occurrence and most of the staff is blunt and insensitive.  This email is so out of place it's not funny.  I worked for a marriage counselor once and I don't think even he would send something this absurd.

Once the mocking begins (and it will) I'd like to have a couple of jokes ready to go.

TIA, will answer yours.

Vultures live, too. It's in their nature. I have no jokes or shtick. 

Vultures are vultures like people are people. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzGnX-MbYE4

Though no construction worker is sending him Mode.  

And honestly, Jayrod, it's not that bad a metaphor for people.  I worked construction, too. For a while. People would get this email; they'd ##### if the boss sucked and lost them bids. They wouldn't care if the business was successful, well run, and working conditions were good.  

Where's our next job/haul/etc.?

My Name Is Jonas

Last edited by a moderator:
I do find it interesting, based on your seeming interest to be a man of the cloth (or at least the study of) that you would be actively seeking to join in on mock and ridicule of a boss because they want people to think about the way they conduct themselves. Sure, a different medium or metaphore could have been had, but the overall message shouldnt be lost on someone in your position IMO. 

I do find it interesting, based on your seeming interest to be a man of the cloth (or at least the study of) that you would be actively seeking to join in on mock and ridicule of a boss because they want people to think about the way they conduct themselves. Sure, a different medium or metaphore could have been had, but the overall message shouldnt be lost on someone in your position IMO. 
Honestly, I'm probably more mocking because of this.  It seems hokey and insincere to people who find religion flakey to begin with.  Hummingbirds and vultures?  What about making enough money to pay my mortgage and my marriage that is in shambles and my parent who is dying of cancer?  Those are the kind of discussions that need to be had if you want to reach people.

Honestly, I'm probably more mocking because of this.  It seems hokey and insincere to people who find religion flakey to begin with.  Hummingbirds and vultures?  What about making enough money to pay my mortgage and my marriage that is in shambles and my parent who is dying of cancer?  Those are the kind of discussions that need to be had if you want to reach people.
I only have one parent left, so I'll see what I can do about getting my mother cancer so I have something worthy of discussion.

If that doesn't work, I'm not opposed to going in the other room and smacking the wife in the mouth and throwing our marriage into shambles.

I only have one parent left, so I'll see what I can do about getting my mother cancer so I have something worthy of discussion.
I just want to listen to David Comes To Life seeing your avatar, frankly. 

Can this be the new music draft thread?  

And you got me on a Hidden World trip. Probably have spun that 3 times since you brought that up
Think David makes his first appearance there.  

####ed Up! was never my favorite band, but I've grown to appreciate certain things about them over the years. Namely, the fusing of prog rock with punk, which sounds good when they do it. 

Below is an email one of the owners in our company sent out.    Advice needed for how to handle this:

Jokes/schtick welcome.  The best part is that this is a construction company with several office staff being former blue-collar guys.  F-bombs are a daily occurrence and most of the staff is blunt and insensitive.  This email is so out of place it's not funny.  I worked for a marriage counselor once and I don't think even he would send something this absurd.

Once the mocking begins (and it will) I'd like to have a couple of jokes ready to go.

TIA, will answer yours.
Here's the answer you're looking for:

The best schtick here is to pretend that you're super into ththe analogy. Pretend like it's putting you into a super hyperbolic and almost mind controlled state.

The lolz will start from there, so many different directions to take. Trust me, I'm a professional.

67:19

Do they not see the birds above them, spreading out their wings and folding them in? None upholds them except the Most Beneficent (Allah). Verily, He is the All-Seer of everything.

TIA, will answer yours.
Serious question:

Is this owner an important part of the company's success? Or, is he just a stock holder who has little influence in day to day operations?

I once had a boss who took over as CEO into the middle of a #### storm.  The company also had many former blue collar guys in key management positions (e.g. plant managers, shipping manager, etc.)

They mocked techniques such as the one you posted. It didn't help the efficiency of the company at all, as the poor morale just trickled down the chain. And the CEO, clearly impacted by the response, doubled down thinking that the others just didn't get it...but would eventually.

Finally, some of us who had been there for many years, took the guy aside and gave him some perspective into the history of the company and the personnel who were responding poorly.

If, we had initially been a part of the mockingbirds, then I seriously doubt he would have heeded any of our advice. In the end, he did improve...and the company as a whole improved.

If you wish to help the people you work with, I would not become a mocker...rather a first responder.

If the guy has no real influence on the company's success, does it really matter what he says and how it is taken by the team? 

If so, then I would treat it as the same as above.

If not, mock away...it may help morale where it is needed.

I'd quietly move said email to the trash and update my resume at my convenience.  Maybe call a few old colleagues to let them know I was looking for something new.

In the interim, I'd also probably quietly install one of these in the company break room.

Barge in to his office and let him know he is a joke and everyone is laughing at him and quit.

Then showup Monday and pretend it was a joke. 

Then slip him a mickey.

Btw in all seriousness I would sue.

The boss should not be sending religious emails like that. Gotta be able to sue for something.

A woman walks into a pet store looking for a new pet. After a few minutes of browsing around, she's not impressed by what she finds. She's about to walk out, until she looks behind the sales counter and spots the most unusual bird she's ever seen. She asks the salesman what it is.
"Oh, that's a crunch bird!" he says.
"Crunch bird? Never heard of it. What does it do?" she asks.
"Just watch!" he says as he opens the cage. "Crunch bird, chair!" He points to a wooden chair in the corner of the store. The bird flies out of the cage and heads straight for it. Within a matter of seconds, it's reduced to a pile of sawdust.
The woman is impressed, but asks for another demonstration.
"Crunch bird, desk!" the salesman says, pointing at a nearby desk. Once again, the bird aims straight for it, and turns it to dust in a matter of seconds.
"I'll take him!" the woman says.
He tells her it's not for sale, but she begs and tells him money is no object. Finally put in a corner, he accepts her offer, and she takes the bird home.
Her husband arrives home from work a while later and immediately spots the cage.
"What the hell kinda bird is that?" he asks.
"It's a crunch bird!" she says. He's not impressed.
"Oh yeah? Crunch bird, my ###

If that doesn't work, I'm not opposed to going in the other room and smacking the wife in the mouth and throwing our marriage into shambles.
What the heck?

Not even close to what I was getting at, but I think you already knew that.  The point was that someone who is interested in your life and there to help when you do have problems is much better way to show the love of Jesus than a group email with a touchy-feely bird analogy and a Bible verse.

So I just realized something; he didn't send it to everyone.  Most notably, nmy boss, the other manager in my department and one of my co-workers were left off of the email...basically the main people who would have laughed at this.

This is way less fun now. :kicksrock:

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just realized something; he didn't send it to everyone.  Most notably, nmy boss, the other manager in my department and one of my co-workers were left off of the email...basically the main people who would have laughed at this.

Oof.

You are in his inner circle.

The humble vulture is doing a service to the world, taking away rot and stench, cleaning death and recycling nutrients to bring new life. 

Meanwhile, the hummingbird is basically just going around engaging in oral sex with one plant after another. 

Users who are viewing this thread