What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE David Njoku, CLE (1 Viewer)

That's too bad. I still have high hopes for him. Especially in this offense. I guess you could say "who doesn't need to get better?" But it definitely gives you pause. I gotta assume with the talent on the field that he will get his. I know OBJ will be the top dog but I don't see why Njoku and Landry wouldn't be duking it out for 2nd. The RBs too.

That's too bad. I still have high hopes for him. Especially in this offense. I guess you could say "who doesn't need to get better?" But it definitely gives you pause. I gotta assume with the talent on the field that he will get his. I know OBJ will be the top dog but I don't see why Njoku and Landry wouldn't be duking it out for 2nd. The RBs too.
Even before hearing what sounds like the coach's frustration t Njoku's slow development, the above was enough to make me question if Njoku will "get his."

OBJ is in credibly talented and will definitely get his. Landry is no slouch either, and Higgins looks to be having a great camp as well. Will remain to see if Calloway turns it around, but if he does that's another mouth to feed. Then you throw in -- per your very own post -- Chubb and Duke who can catch the ball.

Even if Njoku had seasoned pass catching ability -- that's a lot of dilution in the passing game, which made me shy away from Njoku this year as volume will be affected by the sea of hands CLE has to catch the ball.

Add in that he's still struggling to develop? 

Even before hearing what sounds like the coach's frustration t Njoku's slow development, the above was enough to make me question if Njoku will "get his."

OBJ is in credibly talented and will definitely get his. Landry is no slouch either, and Higgins looks to be having a great camp as well. Will remain to see if Calloway turns it around, but if he does that's another mouth to feed. Then you throw in -- per your very own post -- Chubb and Duke who can catch the ball.

Even if Njoku had seasoned pass catching ability -- that's a lot of dilution in the passing game, which made me shy away from Njoku this year as volume will be affected by the sea of hands CLE has to catch the ball.

Add in that he's still struggling to develop? 
I think he can compete for being #2 on the team in targets. At TE that would make him very relevant for fantasy. If Landry gets #2 targets (very possible) then it will be questionable whether that makes him relevant. There is a higher bar for WRs than TEs. Of course it will be watered down after OBJ. But I expect a normal level of targets for the RBs. A normal level for the other WRs. Njoku vs Landry is what this comes down to for me. But if he really is having this much trouble then yeah I will hesitate to draft him. Not good news at all. I just don't know who else will catch TE passes for them. 

I'm also curious if Kitchens is more openly vocal about players than most coaches. I remember him criticizing OBJ for not being in practice. I don't recall if it was minicamp or OTAs or what. But coaches usually have some negatives to say about players, whether we ever hear it or not is a different story.

I'm probably bumping Andrews up past Njoku at this point.

David Njoku (knee) has been cleared for individual drills.

Njoku missed the last week with a knee injury. It was never thought to be serious. Returning to practice gives Njoku a chance to return for Cleveland's third preseason game.

SOURCE: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter

Aug 19, 2019, 11:45 AM ET

David Njoku was credited with four catches for 37 yards and a touchdown on six targets Sunday in Cleveland’s Week 1 loss to the Titans.

Njoku tied Travis Kelce for the most drops among tight ends last season with eight, a shortcoming that has apparently followed him into 2019 as the 2017 first-rounder was charged with two drops in Sunday's opener. He looked shaken up after taking a lick from Titans safety Kevin Byard in the first half, but was cleared to return shortly after. His touchdown—which came on a three-yard bullet from Baker Mayfield on first-and-goal—cut the Titans' lead to three with 2:10 to go in the third quarter, though it was all downhill from there as Tennessee exploded for 28 unanswered points to win by an overwhelming 43-13 margin. Njoku will remain a borderline TE1 when the Browns make their way to Metlife Stadium to face the Jets in Week 2.

Sep 8, 2019, 6:18 PM ET

David Njoku suffered a concussion Week 2 against the Jets and will not return.

This is Njoku's first documented NFL concussion. He was upended after going up in the air for a short target from Baker Mayfield. As he came down, Njoku landed on his head and crunched his neck. Before leaving in the first quarter, Njoku didn't catch a single pass on that lone target. He should be considered iffy for Week 3 with the Browns already on a short week.

Sep 16, 2019, 9:06 PM ET

David Njoku (concussion) is not practicing Wednesday.

Njoku was concussed Monday night, so this isn't at all a surprise. On a short week, it will be a challenge for Njoku to gain clearance from his first documented NFL concussion in time for the showdown with the Rams on NBC's Sunday Night Football. If Njoku sits, Demetrius Harris will soak up the snaps at tight end.

SOURCE: Nate Ulrich on Twitter

Sep 18, 2019, 10:46 AM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports David Njoku (concussion, wrist) is seeking a second opinion on his injured wrist.

Not only is Njoku dealing with a concussion, there's a chance he's out for an extended period if wrist surgery is indeed required. There's no timetable in place at this moment. Demetrius Harris is currently the Browns' direct backup, but the team will likely look for additional options if Njoku's out for the foreseeable future.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 18, 2019, 6:04 PM ET

Multiple sources confirmed David Njoku suffered a broken wrist.

Njoku is looking at missing at least one month, but he's still seeking opinions on if he needs surgery or not. The Browns have a Week 7 bye, so Njoku might not make a return until Week 8's matchup in New England. In the meantime, the Browns are likely scanning the free agent and trade markets because Demetrius Harris is the current backup. It's possible that Jarvis Landry becomes slightly more involved over the middle.

Sep 18, 2019, 6:29 PM ET

David Njoku (wrist) has been placed on the injured reserve list.

Njoku suffered a broken wrist and will be sidelined for at least eight weeks. Demetrius Harris and Ricky Seals-Jones should each see plenty of snaps during his absence. Still, both are thin fantasy options until we have a better idea of their involvement in the passing game.

SOURCE: Browns on Twitter.

Sep 20, 2019, 5:03 PM ET

David Njoku (IR, wrist) elected to not have surgery to repair his broken wrist.

Njoku will still miss at least seven more games, but by not undergoing surgery, Njoku's chances of returning to game action in 2019 are reportedly higher. The Browns can activate Njoku off injured reserve on November 24th against the Dolphins if he's healthy. In the meantime, the Browns will use Demetrius Harris and Ricky Seals-Jones at tight end.

SOURCE: Cleveland.com

Sep 24, 2019, 6:40 PM ET

David Njoku (wrist, injured reserve) expects to return this season.

Njoku also shared on Thursday that he has cleared the concussion protocol. The earliest Njoku could return is Week 12 against the Dolphins. Ohter candidates could pop up, but there is a strong chance Njoku will indeed be one of the Browns' "return" players.

Oct 3, 2019, 2:25 PM ET

David Njoku (wrist, IR) has yet to be cleared to practice.

Njoku is eligible to come off IR in Week 12. He had his cast removed earlier this month and told reporters he's "optimistic" about getting cleared next week, but that looks unlikely. ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi expects Njoku to need 1-2 weeks once he returns to practice.

SOURCE: Tony Grossi on Twitter

Nov 16, 2019, 10:33 AM ET

Browns designated TE David Njoku (wrist) for return from injured reserve.

Njoku is practicing Wednesday and is eligible to play this week against the Dolphins. He hasn't been on the field since breaking his wrist in Week 2, but Njoku will catch a plus matchup this Sunday if he's active. Unfortunately, it's unclear if he'll be able to play a full complement of snaps in his first game back.

Nov 20, 2019, 10:05 AM ET

Updating an earlier report, Browns coach Freddie Kitchens said David Njoku (wrist) won't be activated for Week 12 against the Dolphins.

Njoku resumed practicing this week, though clearly he hasn't convinced the coaching staff he's game-ready. With Njoku headed for another absence—it will be his ninth straight—look for the Browns to employ some combination of Demetrius Harris, Pharaoh Brown, Ricky Seals-Jones and Stephen Carlson at tight end Sunday against Miami.

Nov 22, 2019, 12:51 PM ET

Rotoworld:

David Njoku (wrist) expects to play Week 14 against the Bengals.

The expectation is the Browns will activate him off injured reserve and plug him into the lineup by Sunday. Njoku may be on a snap count in his first game back and should be viewed as a touchdown-dependent TE2 until we see how much he's involved. The Browns have a lot of mouths to feed, so it's likely that Njoku sees less than six targets in most contests.

Dec 6, 2019, 1:25 PM ET

This is why he needs to be owned. If he does go and looks good this week, you don't want him against you next weekend.
Yup I made this move in leagues I could. Will either start him over Waller or drop him to where he's locked before his game against Cardinals

About to drop Latavius Murray to add him... I have the most FAAB left, and I really want to wait until tomorrow so I can add Murray back, but it's a shark league and someone is gonna grab him momentarily if I don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked him up, if I make it without him this week it’ll be an easy choice sliding him in next week vs ARZ

Browns activated TE David Njoku (wrist) from injured reserve.

Njoku is expected to return Sunday against the Bengals. His snaps may be scaled back after a long layoff, but it's a nice boost to the Browns' pass offense. Njoku is best treated as a touchdown-dependent TE2 in his first game back.

Dec 7, 2019, 12:45 PM ET

David Njoku caught 1-of-3 targets for four yards in the Browns' Week 14 win over the Bengals.

It was Njoku's first game since breaking his wrist in Week 2. Njoku had a second catch ripped away from him as he fell to the ground for a Baker Mayfield interception. Njoku gets the Cardinals' sieve-like tight end defense in Week 15.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Andrews owner who picked him up this week to block an opponent from using against AZ, curious if anyone knows what his snap count was today.

Might have to consider him myself :bag:

1-4 doesn’t give me high hopes, but AZ, idk.

David Njoku (knee) was a limited participant for Wednesday's practice.

Previously shelved with a broken wrist, Njoku apparently banged up his knee in his limited showing against the Dolphins. This injury is just another hoop for the 23-year-old to jump after he was held to 21 snaps (38%) and only nine routes run in his first game action since Week 2. Proceed with caution if simply looking to start him for 'flow chart' reasons against the Cardinals.

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter

Dec 11, 2019, 4:30 PM ET

David Njoku (knee) was upgraded to "full" on Thursday.

It turns out Njoku's knee issue was as minor as possible. He can now be trusted to be out there against the Cardinals' truly pathetic tight end defense. Njoku contributed nothing in his long-awaited Week 14 debut, but the matchup puts him in the TE2 streamer mix.

Dec 12, 2019, 4:31 PM ET

David Njoku said he's "not sure" he'll be back if coach Freddie Kitchens returns next season.

This adds Njoku to a growing list of Browns players that have had fallouts with Kitchens. Njoku got into it with Kitchens in Week 14 after he dropped a pass on the opening drive that was picked off. He's been a healthy scratch since and could sit out the regular season finale. Njoku has another year and team option remaining on his rookie deal, but the Browns may look to shop him if Kitchens stays.

SOURCE: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Dec 28, 2019, 11:21 AM ET

ESPN's Jake Trotter believes the Browns will consider trading David Njoku this offseason.

This isn't a surprise after Njoku said he wasn't sure if he'll be back with the Browns next season. Cleveland has since fired Freddie Kitchens and brought in a new front office, but it's possible they also move on from Njoku, who has never really clicked with Baker Mayfield. Coming off a lost 2019, Njoku likely wouldn't return more than a Day 3 pick.

SOURCE: ESPN

Feb 14, 2020, 6:21 PM ET

ESPN's Jake Trotter believes the Browns will consider trading David Njoku this offseason.

This isn't a surprise after Njoku said he wasn't sure if he'll be back with the Browns next season. Cleveland has since fired Freddie Kitchens and brought in a new front office, but it's possible they also move on from Njoku, who has never really clicked with Baker Mayfield. Coming off a lost 2019, Njoku likely wouldn't return more than a Day 3 pick.

SOURCE: ESPN

Feb 14, 2020, 6:21 PM ET
Not really, he was just speculating.

That's why the 2017 first-round selection might be better off attempting to resuscitate his career elsewhere -- especially if the Browns can get something that can help them in return. -- Jake Trotter

Browns GM Andrew Berry hinted Tuesday that the team will exercise David Njoku's fifth-year team option for 2021.

"I wouldn’t disclose any of those kind of business decisions in this setting," Berry said. "But it’s safe to say we view both those guys as very, very talented members of our roster and we look forward to seeing what they’re going to do over the next few years." The "other guy" is Myles Garrett. Something of a perennial tease through the first three years of his career, Njoku did not get along with since-fired coach Freddie Kitchens. ESPN has posited Njoku as a trade candidate, but Berry's words strongly suggest he will be staying.

SOURCE: Akron Beacon-Journal

Feb 25, 2020, 5:52 PM ET

Browns exercised the fifth-year option for TE David Njoku.

Austin Hooper could feasibly find himself in a quasi-committee system with Njoku. After all, Kyle Rudolph (48 targets) and Irv Smith (47) were nearly equally involved in coach Kevin Stefanski's offense last season. Hooper is a great real-life TE; his status as fantasy's No. 1 option at the position to start last season isn't likely to occur again anytime soon. There's a chance he finishes behind each of Landry, Beckham and Hunt in targets. Njoku almost certainly won't work ahead of Hooper in snaps or targets.

Apr 27, 2020, 11:42 AM ET

Anyone know what Njoku's 5th year option costs the Browns? I imagine pretty cheap. 

Sigh, looks like another roster clogger TE. Would love a trade to AZ or Washington, but they sound intent on keeping Njoku. 

Users who are viewing this thread