What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland has 106 Million in cap space (1 Viewer)

And nobody wants to play there for the most part. They'll need to overpay and know that whoever they get was chasing the biggest paycheck. Good luck.

On top of what I said before they should probably work to improve their entire defense as well.  Wouldn't hurt to get better on special teams too.  Goo thing they have a lot of money because they need a lot of help.

That's astonishing and indicative of the fact that they have no upper tier talent worth paying top dollar to.
Just lots and lots of young players they've drafted the last couple years.  I think they had like 26 draft picks just in the last two years.

If they were smart they'd get a good QB, protect him and give him good players to throw to.
That 1st part is their #1 obstacle. As far as good players to throw to these guys drafted 4 WRs in arguably the worst WR class in the last decade.

That's astonishing and indicative of the fact that they have no upper tier talent worth paying top dollar to.
Joe Thomas. They'd be wise to trade him as, at 32, he probably doesn't figure into their "rebuilding" plans. Might not go over well with the fan base but I think they could still get a premium pick and maybe a young player with upside from a contender. 

Joe Thomas. They'd be wise to trade him as, at 32, he probably doesn't figure into their "rebuilding" plans. Might not go over well with the fan base but I think they could still get a premium pick and maybe a young player with upside from a contender. 
They will be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for him IMO.

They will be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for him IMO.
You think? I figured they'd be able to get a 2nd. He's still one of the best LT's in the league and has never missed a snap. The top LT's historically have shown the ability to play at a high level into their mid and even late 30's, so I figure he has at least another 2 to 3 years of high level play left in the tank. And he would immediately add a strong veteran presence to any locker room.

Honestly, I wonder if they are just better off not trying to spend all of it.  You need to add as much young talent to this roster as you can and then when the young guys come together you have cap space available to make a run.  Kind of a poor example but let's say like the Jaguars last year.  They were coming off a year where they really made strides and they were a major player in free agency.  Now, it fell flat because they bombed out last year but I think the plan was right, the execution failed.  Keep your young guys together.  Add some talent.  When you are ready to make a run you spend to fill out a team.  They seem to need a QB and defensive upgrades.  The RB they have seem OK.  Coleman and Pryor seem like they could be a decent couple of WR.  It seems to always come down to fixing the QB spot.  

There's no cap minimum, but there is a cash minimum spread over 4 years as you say.   What did you actually pay in that 4 year span, not what were your cap figures.  From 2013-2016 and then 2017-2020. Teams had to have written checks worth 89% of the combined cap over that time.

So as an example, a $20m signing bonus given last year on a 5 year contract, would have the full $20m count towards the 2013-2016 floor since $20m was PAID in that period. Even though $16m of the cap hits would fall in caps in the 2017-2020 seasons.

Trade for Garopollo and extend him to a 10 year contract with a $105M signing bonus.

Oh, wait - it gets distributed across the length of the contract?  Nuts.

Sorry Jimmy.

Last edited by a moderator:
They probably have all that cap room because they offered rebates to their players then didn't honor them.

I think that's all the jokes I have for this one.

You think? I figured they'd be able to get a 2nd. He's still one of the best LT's in the league and has never missed a snap. The top LT's historically have shown the ability to play at a high level into their mid and even late 30's, so I figure he has at least another 2 to 3 years of high level play left in the tank. And he would immediately add a strong veteran presence to any locker room.
Good points and I agree that he would be great addition. But unless a QB is the target you rarely see decent compensation for someone north of 30. With that being said if I was in need of a tackle I would be happy to pay a 2nd for Joe Thomas.

It may be 10 years now, but there was a time when their highest paid player was a long snapper.  With that said, they have had some talent, i.e. Gabriel, they just chose not to re-sign them. 

Users who are viewing this thread