What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Corey Davis, Retired (1 Viewer)

I'd wager he goes 1.01 more often than Fournette or McCaffery. But it won't be a near concensus like Zeke. 
Agree, we won't have a consensus 1.1 but when all said and one Davis will be sitting atop the ADP lists.

I'd imagine Fournette and McCaffrey are considered as "decent to pretty good" situations while Davis landed in THE best spot.  
If we look at the pre-draft big 4 RB's and big 2 WR's the only one that I feel landed in a good spot was Davis. That is not to say other 5 players landed in bad spots, but none I felt were a positive to their value.

All ive got to say is Rishard Matthews nearly had 1000 yards and double digit TDs. 

And I was going to say the exact same thing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Took him at 1.01 in a rookie draft yesterday. Team was a total rebuild after I imploded my team last year when Calvin retired. The longevity of the WR position over RB won out for me. I still have my reservations about Davis but I think you can say there is something to not like about all of the top pick options.

Titans first-round WR Corey Davis (ankle) believes he could play a game right now if necessary.

Davis required "minor" surgery after injuring his ankle training in January. The Titans are taking it slow with him in OTAs. The No. 5 overall pick should be full bore for training camp.

Source: Paul Kuharsky on Twitter 
May 25 - 2:04 PM

Corey Davis ran with the first-team offense in the first full-squad practice at Titans camp.

Davis manned X receiver with Rishard Matthews at Z, presumably in a formation that used two tight ends and/or a fullback. Once Eric Decker fully grasps the offense, he is expected to rotate between Z and slot receiver along with Matthews. Either way, being immediately installed with the starters is a good sign for Davis, who was limited all spring after ankle surgery.

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter 

Jul 30 - 4:32 PM

Don't want to overreact but since he's coming off ankle surgery a bit worried that about 30 minutes ago he left practice with a trainer and was reportedly to be walking gingerly.

Man, hope he's ok, he was putting on a show before he left.

It's reportedly a hammy, getting an MRI. Obviously not good, but slightly less-bad than if it was the same ankle IMO.

Titans coach Mike Mularkey said first round WR Corey Davis (hamstring) will be out at least a week.

Davis had an MRI on his injured hamstring after going down in Thursday's practice. It sounds like he avoided structural damage, but he's going to miss valuable training camp time. Davis was immediately inserted as the starting X receiver prior to his injury. The Titans are likely targeting a return before their third preseason game.

Aug 4 - 6:41 PM

Corey Davis (hamstring) said he's still week to week.

Davis has already been out for six days, and a return doesn't appear to be in sight. His goal remains to be ready for Week 1. But we've seen in the past that rookies who miss significant time in training camp tend to have slow starts to the season. Davis remains the favorite to open the year as the Titans' starting X receiver.

Source: ESPN.com

Aug 9 - 1:23 PM

Titans coach Mike Mularkey said Sunday that Corey Davis (hamstring) remains on track to play in a preseason game.

He's missed the Titans' first two preseason games with a hamstring injury after recovering from ankle surgery all spring. Nevertheless, Mularkey said Davis' recovery is "ahead of schedule." If Davis can shake the injury bug, he will offer the highest fantasy football ceiling in Tennessee's receiver corps.

Source: Terry McMormick on Twitter 

Aug 20 - 4:07 PM

Thankful our 12 team redraft is Sunday. His current ADP is 10.09, I've been consistently getting him in mocks around the 12th/13th.  I'll probably be targeting him around the 10/11 turn, maybe even 8/9. Love the situation and he's a legit talent, only concern is health (hammys can linger sometimes with WRs - this one seems manageable.)

Mularkey just backtracked some. He said idk where the 4th game came from, we're trying to get him ready for the regular season. Ummm he said it, yesterday!

Anyway, looks like he's not playing in preseason now

Monday

(on if wide receiver Corey Davis will return to practice this week)

No, I'm not sure where the fourth game came in, but we're being smart with him. It's a day-by-day thing. I think he's in a good position right now. I don't know when that day is, I wish I could tell you that, I wish he knew. We'll be overly cautious with him. We want him for the regular season games.

Sunday

(on if he anticipates rookie wide receiver Corey Davis playing in the final preseason game)

On track to do that if he continues to progress like he is. I think he’s ahead of schedule with that.

Mularkey said Davis is running on an Ultra G treadmill and they'll know more when he runs on a traditional treadmill.

I've googled and that's an antigravity treadmill. http://www.mygcphysio.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Britt-Alter-G-run-051.jpg I think maybe he pronounced Ultra G but it's Alter G.

Also googling, three weeks for a normal person on alter G before using traditional treadmill. Davis is a super athlete and not normal, just something else to "take in" is all.

Corey Davis (hamstring) is expected to miss the entire preseason.

Davis has been shut down since going down in early August. Coach Mike Mularkey said he was on track to play in the preseason finale, but the Titans don't want to risk a setback. Davis' Week 1 status remains up in the air.

Source: titansonline.com

PTSD flashbacks to Devante Parker, who I also had in 3 dynasty leagues as a rookie.  I may need some opioids to go through this again.

Mularkey said it was fair to say Taylor is well ahead of Davis right now.

I would in no way bank on this but for you people that do- that would mean Matthews opposite Taylor with Decker in the slot.

The Titans have spoken a ton about moving guys around and have done so. They even line up RBs and TEs wide. 

Matthews will get the lion's share of snaps. No one even came close to taking his spot this summer. He IS the #1 guy. Otherwise, it is going to really fluctuate each week, geesh each quarter even. They will be real difficult to project in FF this year

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Corey Davis (hamstring) is expected to be ready for Week 1.

Davis has been out since early August. There was some hope he would return for the fourth preseason game this week, but the Titans are playing it safe. After missing the entire preseason and most of camp, Davis will almost certainly start out behind Eric Decker and Rishard Matthews in the pecking order.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Aug 29 - 10:31 AM

Corey Davis (hamstring) returned to Titans practice on Tuesday.

The No. 5 overall pick hadn't practiced since Aug. 3. He will head into Week 1 having missed the entire preseason, but is expected to be active for the opener. Davis is a special talent — a prerequisite for being a top-five pick — but a slow start seems like a lock. Coming from small-school Western Michigan, he'll be fighting for targets in a crowded receiver corps.

Aug 29 - 4:15 PM

Mularkey was saying that Davis has still been limited and he won't be able to get him a full practice before week one.

I would GUESS it's possible he sits week one or does less than anyone imagined. Davis owners certainly need to consider this if anyone was rolling with him for week one

Corey Davis isn't expected to be on a snap count in the Titans' opener, but will only be used in "specific situations."

In other words, a snap count. There's a reason Davis was the No. 5 overall pick, but he wasn't on the field enough this summer to push for one of the Titans' starting jobs. Provided he stays healthy, Davis' role should grow quickly.

Source: Paul Kuharsky on Twitter 

Sep 4 - 2:42 PM

Not on a snap count but used in specific situations. He didn't say "unlimited snaps, playing every down"

People looking for good news. 

What type of projections do you guys have for Davis. Talented rookie on a run first team with lots of mouths to feed?

What type of projections do you guys have for Davis. Talented rookie on a run first team with lots of mouths to feed?
Id expect a slow start mostly due to him missing so much of pre season activities. I think they are transitioning away from the exotic smashmouth stuff, they put a lot of resources into receiving weapons for MM this off season. Id expect his second half stats to be very nice

Mularkey reiterated today that they are not going to put Davis in a position to fail. They're only giving him what they know he can do well.

Still hasn't practiced the whole time- limited today.

Mularkey said he made a catch few people can make.

Everything still is limited

Still hasn't practiced the whole time- limited today.

Mularkey said he made a catch few people can make.

Everything still is limited
Bri - Titans fan if I remember correctly.  Any chance they're hiding him, playing games with the injury report and teasing Oakland, only to unleash him on Sunday?

Oakland's secondary is ... not great.

Bri - Titans fan if I remember correctly.  Any chance they're hiding him, playing games with the injury report and teasing Oakland, only to unleash him on Sunday?

Oakland's secondary is ... not great.
I don't think that's really possible. Oakland (and everyone) knows he was the top WR in the draft and is a wow athlete.

He's barely practiced. Everyone seems to want these reasons to consider him like Odell. ODB missed most of the offseason and still came in and rocked. He was like the first ever to do that out of thousands of WRs before him. 

People keep asking me what I think his limited plays will be- block (because Mularkey and his staff are old school and WRs must block well) and he is a big dude. Go deep. And red zone to use that huge frame and ups. 

Everyone seems to be confused or thrown or some word because the worst team in football in 2015 is suddenly deep on offense. That was the goal and it appears all of the draft picks panned out for a change. 

Mularkey wants defenses confused all year. This is not good for FF, not at all.

FF people love past data but Mularkey has been running a 3 TE offense for a few years now. He was Whis' assistant head coach. They played mostly 2 TE (1 WR) and 2 WR sets this summer. They did use 3 WRs a good amount, but those two sets were used primarily. That's the change we wanted for FF, but the historical data is pretty useless for this.

The confusion-

Both TEs have lined out wide and in the slot. Murray and Henry have been both as well. Matthews, Decker, Taylor, and Davis are a real real good four. One could make an argument for any playing over the other. This is exactly what Mularkey wants- a good luck to defenses preparing for this O and mismatches on Sunday.

Here's this grand passing offense with a wonderful young QB and....they prefer to run as often as possible. Mularkey would be the happiest man on earth if they never passed. 

In FF we usually have this thought that "week one should give us starters" that we consider the primary two WRs. Can you really say that with Taylor an upstart and Davis learning the ropes? What about if a rook does well and then the next game is "off?" Don't ya think Decker or Matthews replaces them as the primary WR there?

They're gonna be an FF nightmare this year.

I don't think that's really possible. Oakland (and everyone) knows he was the top WR in the draft and is a wow athlete.

He's barely practiced. Everyone seems to want these reasons to consider him like Odell. ODB missed most of the offseason and still came in and rocked. He was like the first ever to do that out of thousands of WRs before him. 

People keep asking me what I think his limited plays will be- block (because Mularkey and his staff are old school and WRs must block well) and he is a big dude. Go deep. And red zone to use that huge frame and ups. 

Everyone seems to be confused or thrown or some word because the worst team in football in 2015 is suddenly deep on offense. That was the goal and it appears all of the draft picks panned out for a change. 

Mularkey wants defenses confused all year. This is not good for FF, not at all.

FF people love past data but Mularkey has been running a 3 TE offense for a few years now. He was Whis' assistant head coach. They played mostly 2 TE (1 WR) and 2 WR sets this summer. They did use 3 WRs a good amount, but those two sets were used primarily. That's the change we wanted for FF, but the historical data is pretty useless for this.

The confusion-

Both TEs have lined out wide and in the slot. Murray and Henry have been both as well. Matthews, Decker, Taylor, and Davis are a real real good four. One could make an argument for any playing over the other. This is exactly what Mularkey wants- a good luck to defenses preparing for this O and mismatches on Sunday.

Here's this grand passing offense with a wonderful young QB and....they prefer to run as often as possible. Mularkey would be the happiest man on earth if they never passed. 

In FF we usually have this thought that "week one should give us starters" that we consider the primary two WRs. Can you really say that with Taylor an upstart and Davis learning the ropes? What about if a rook does well and then the next game is "off?" Don't ya think Decker or Matthews replaces them as the primary WR there?

They're gonna be an FF nightmare this year.
Bri, do you mind if I read that response as "yes, they've been hiding him, will unleash him on Sunday, and like manna from heaven, the FF points for his owners will be miraculous & bountiful?"

Is that OK by you?

From Ask Jim:

Question:  Will Corey Davis be at 100% or 90ish?

Jim: Hey Cadius. Corey had a good week of practice. He did more in Wednesday’s session than he did during any session in of training camp, according to coach Mike Mularkey, and his workload was steady throughout the week. Corey was asked if he’s 100 percent, and he pretty much said he’s around 90%, and closing in on 100%. He’s obviously going to have to work himself into better playing shape, but he’s looked good to me. Mularkey said on Friday the team planned to watch his play count, so it will be interesting to see just how much he plays.  

From Ask Jim:

Question:  Will Corey Davis be at 100% or 90ish?

Jim: Hey Cadius. Corey had a good week of practice. He did more in Wednesday’s session than he did during any session in of training camp, according to coach Mike Mularkey, and his workload was steady throughout the week. Corey was asked if he’s 100 percent, and he pretty much said he’s around 90%, and closing in on 100%. He’s obviously going to have to work himself into better playing shape, but he’s looked good to me. Mularkey said on Friday the team planned to watch his play count, so it will be interesting to see just how much he plays.  
Do you think Taywan will play more?

Users who are viewing this thread