What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Corey Davis, Retired (1 Viewer)

I could see him fall to 1.5 if someone likes Mike Williams more and Mixon goes in the top four.  He definitely won't fall to 1.6
I think in a perfect storm of teams needing RB help and then drafting in a need based way, its not impossible for him to slip in that scenario. Its just so unlikely and also, not smart IMO

But yeah, I agree he is not really ever falling to 6 unless some time between now and then some weird injury or character concern shows up

I could see him fall to 1.5 if someone likes Mike Williams more and Mixon goes in the top four.  He definitely won't fall to 1.6
Sure he could it's naive to say anyone won't slip to 6.  Cook, Fournette, Mixon, McCaffrey, Williams.  That's a perfectly reasonable top 5.  Davis missed the combine and now his pro day it would be easy to slide those guys in front of him.  And if Kamara goes to a great situation like Green Bay there's another.  Maybe depending on need and league settings OJ Howard gets in there, or a QB.  It's just silly to say absolutely he won't be there at 6.

Sure he could it's naive to say anyone won't slip to 6.  Cook, Fournette, Mixon, McCaffrey, Williams.  That's a perfectly reasonable top 5.  Davis missed the combine and now his pro day it would be easy to slide those guys in front of him.  And if Kamara goes to a great situation like Green Bay there's another.  Maybe depending on need and league settings OJ Howard gets in there, or a QB.  It's just silly to say absolutely he won't be there at 6.
No one in 1 QB leagues should ever take a QB (especially this draft) in the top 5.  Kamara isn't in the same tier as those who should go top 5 either.  I will conceed McCaffrey in some leagues however, but not likely. 

He won't be there at 6. 

He won't be there at 6. 
In non-ppr it could definitely happen.  In PPR unlikely.

Non-PPR could easily see the 5 RB's go ahead of him provided they get drafted into good spots.  (LF, Mixon, Cook, McAffrey, Kamara).

I realize not many fantasy people like Kamara but that will change if he goes late 1st/early 2nd to good situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Western Michigan WR Corey Davis is visiting the Browns on Tuesday, according to Ian Rapoport.

This is just the second reported visit for Davis thus far in the process, a wide receiver many believe is the top prospect at his position. Davis is recovering from minor ankle surgery and might not workout for teams prior to the draft. He previously visited the Eagles.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 
Apr 4 - 9:39 AM

Rep: Do the Ravens have interest in Davis?

Decosta: No, Vernon Davis was resigned by the Redskins.

Rep: Not that Davis. 

Decosta: Jarrad Davis is a very solid linebacker, and we do have need after Orr's retirement.

Rep: Not that Davis.  Corey Davis.

Decosta: Mike Williams and John Ross are very solid WRs.
He might as well said "Dont draft Davis because we are drooling over him."

I'm not so sure of this.  You already stated Williams and Mixon in the top four; Fournette is typically at the top as well.  So you're saying there are no situations in which both of McCaffrey and Cook go before Davis?

I'm thinking about last year's draft in which Corey Coleman went to the Browns.  If a similar (i.e., "non-ideal) thing happens to Davis this year, and the other players I mentioned go to reasonably good (to great) spots, Davis could very easily slide to 1.6.

Thankfully, we only have another 14 days to wait to find out...

I'm not so sure of this.  You already stated Williams and Mixon in the top four; Fournette is typically at the top as well.  So you're saying there are no situations in which both of McCaffrey and Cook go before Davis?

I'm thinking about last year's draft in which Corey Coleman went to the Browns.  If a similar (i.e., "non-ideal) thing happens to Davis this year, and the other players I mentioned go to reasonably good (to great) spots, Davis could very easily slide to 1.6.

Davis has the talent to be a top 2 pick, but his situation could cause him to fall. He can't throw himself the ball, and as proved by Allen Robinson this year, the WR is dependent on at least moderate QB play.

Teams I'd most want to see draft Davis: San Fran, Dallas, New Orleans, Indy, Steelers.

San Fran, they have a pretty poor situation for 2017, but they could get Cousins next year and Shanahan has been known to product absolute powerhouse WRs.

Dallas, Dez seems to get injured every year and Dak could use a young WR to grow with.  Williams isn't the man.

NO, they just shipped out Cooks and could use another playmaker. Not a believer in Snead and I don't know that Thomas will be able to overcome a major shift in coverage coming his way. They'll get a WR sometime in the draft, why not grab the best one?

Indy, they were rumored to be after Alshon. I don't think the new GM likes Dorsett or Moncrief.  He's not tied to them, and wasn't involved in their coming to Indy. He could trade or cut them.  Also, Hilton isn't a big target, they could use a WR with size to be Luck's go-to guy.

Steelers, this would be bad for his fantasy value but as a Steelers fan I'd love them to get a player this talented at 30.

I don't believe both McCaffrey and Cook will go before Davis in most PPR leagues.  Keyword "most".

I don't believe both McCaffrey and Cook will go before Davis in most PPR leagues.  Keyword "most".
The way I feel about it, it's almost better that they will drop a bit instead of going top 10.  Makes it more possible they end up in a really good situation like GB/NO/PHI/etc.  More value for them in, say, GB then Jax.

The way I feel about it, it's almost better that they will drop a bit instead of going top 10.  Makes it more possible they end up in a really good situation like GB/NO/PHI/etc.  More value for them in, say, GB then Jax.
That's always a good point.

I keep seeing this as a possibility.  But, as a huge fan of Davis', I would hate to see this for 2 reasons.  1.  (the fantasy reason) They aren't a pass first offense .  2.  (the personal reason) I'm a Steeler fan and I don't want to root against him.  
They aren't pass first because they don't have anyone like Davis to throw to. 

I keep seeing this as a possibility.  But, as a huge fan of Davis', I would hate to see this for 2 reasons.  1.  (the fantasy reason) They aren't a pass first offense .  2.  (the personal reason) I'm a Steeler fan and I don't want to root against him.  
They had the most passing attempts in the NFL for 2 years in a row.

Last edited by a moderator:
They had the most passing attempts in the NFL for 2 years in a row.
And their best fantasy WRs ranked 23rd in 2016 and 31 in 2015. Flacco was the 26th QB in 2015, and the 20th QB in 2016.  Just because they threw a lot doesn't mean they completed a lot. Flacco isn't very accurate if he gets flustered, and since he tore his ACL in 2015 he has been playing scared.

I would be hesitant to invest long term in a Ravens WR, because even though lots of Ravens fans want a new QB, Flacco will be there for years to come.

And their best fantasy WRs ranked 23rd in 2016 and 31 in 2015. Flacco was the 26th QB in 2015, and the 20th QB in 2016.  Just because they threw a lot doesn't mean they completed a lot. Flacco isn't very accurate if he gets flustered, and since he tore his ACL in 2015 he has been playing scared.

I would be hesitant to invest long term in a Ravens WR, because even though lots of Ravens fans want a new QB, Flacco will be there for years to come.
Admittedly, I didn't watch as many Ravens games last year as I typically do, but I didn't see this.  Your last sentence reads like the biased Steelers fan that you are, I'm not aware of ANY Ravens fans calling for a different QB.

That's a different point altogether- his was that they aren't "pass first", which is completely incorrect.

FTR, Flacco actually completed the 2nd most passes in the NFL behind only Brees, and was 11th in completion %. Not saying he's elite or anything, but I certainly wouldn't avoid Davis if he ends up in Baltimore. They pass more than enough, and Flacco is good enough, for a WR to put up very good FF numbers.

The comment was that they weren't a pass first offense.  That comment couldn't be further from the truth.  Flacco had as many pass attempts as Brees.  He finished 2nd in completions and 7th in yards.  Where they sucked was finishing with TDs, as he only threw for just 20 last year. 

Their best WRs in 2016 were a 37 year old Steve Smith and the reclaimed-from-the-dumpster Mike Wallace.  In 2015 the 36 year old Steve Smith was paired with the astounding talent of Kamar Aiken.  And in 2015 Smith was a top 8 WR in the seven games he played.   

Flacco's not a top 10 QB, but he's good enough to support a top10 WR and he's been throwing to minus WR's since Trestman took over.  And the one thing Trestman will do is pass the ball. 

Flacco's not a top 10 QB, but he's good enough to support a top10 WR and he's been throwing to minus WR's since Trestman took over.  And the one thing Trestman will do is pass the ball. 
Trestman was canned mid season.  Marty Mornhinweg is the OC for the Ravens. 

Really?  Seems out of the norm of what they want to do though.  They haven't had a RB since Rice to be fair as well.  
Yep, first in passing attempts, last in run/pass ratio, etc- volume/opportunity should not be an issue.

At least they had Rice- their WRs have been pretty poor. Heck, Rice is 3rd in Ravens history for receptions (2nd is Heap, a TE who also has the most TDs).

tangfoot said:
Admittedly, I didn't watch as many Ravens games last year as I typically do, but I didn't see this.  Your last sentence reads like the biased Steelers fan that you are, I'm not aware of ANY Ravens fans calling for a different QB.
Living in Baltimore I'm friends with too many Ravens fans, so maybe it's my group specifically, but about 75% of them want a new QB.  When asked who, they usually don't know, but they want a new one.  Again, might not be the overall consensus, but they think he's overpaid and won't get them back to the top, they'd rather restart and have the $$ to invest in their up and coming players, like Wagner and Jernigan (already traded).

And the "looks scared" just comes from his rushed throws.  He often checks down to the easy throw that's a couple yards down field while there is an open route further down the middle that needs just a bit more time to develop. Also, he's thrown a fair amount of passes in the dirt or over receivers heads in what seemed like a rush. Just didn't see as many of these types of passes in previous years, so I attributed it to his injury. Could have been that he didn't mesh well with Trestman's scheme, but he seemed to rush more of this throws this year than in years past.

The main point of my post was that just because they throw it a lot, it doesn't mean Davis will be a top fantasy prospect.  I get that it wasn't necessarily the point of the post I was responding to, and I don't think that many people knew the Ravens were throwing that much. Also, I think Davis is way more talented than the WRs Flacco has had to work with recently, but Baltimore is a run-first town (this is why Trestman was fired).  I would be surprised if they don't get back to running the ball more and throwing less.  Maybe other people in Baltimore have gotten a different vibe, but from the games I went to this year, people weren't happy when Flacco was throwing the ball a lot.  They usually see Flacco throwing a lot as an expected loss.  Less than 40 pass attempts 4 wins, 1 loss. 40+ pass attempts 7 losses, 4 wins.  I know a lot more goes into that than just the amount he's throwing, but people here see that as a direct correlation.

Users who are viewing this thread