What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Corey Davis, Retired (3 Viewers)

Living in Baltimore I'm friends with too many Ravens fans, so maybe it's my group specifically, but about 75% of them want a new QB. 

And the "looks scared" just comes from his rushed throws.  He often checks down to the easy throw that's a couple yards down field while there is an open route further down the middle that needs just a bit more time to develop. Also, he's thrown a fair amount of passes in the dirt or over receivers heads in what seemed like a rush. Just didn't see as many of these types of passes in previous years, so I attributed it to his injury. Could have been that he didn't mesh well with Trestman's scheme, but he seemed to rush more of this throws this year than in years past.
I think your B'more group does not appreciate what they have. Flacco to me is very similar to in many aspects to Eli. Not elite but he's good and what's a lot more than that he's outstanding in playoffs and crunch time because he does not get rattled. To me he is the polar opposite of playing scared and he's almost always available.

Mike Wallace just sent for 1,000 yards  for the first time since 2011 and in 2015 in a sample size covering almost half a season Steve Smith was on pace for 100/1500 and he was 36.  Flacco has been so devoid of weapons through most of his career it can easily be argued that old Steve Smith was the best WR he had to work with.

Personally I have total confidence that if you give him a good WR he will absolutely maximize his talents and be a big time producer and Corey Davis would be an outstanding fit.

Fair enough. 

Recent rumors have Davis falling to the late 1st (25-32) but that seems like it's just the typical anonymous speculation that pops up as the draft approaches.  Also, Mcshay and Kiper think Williams goes first. 
I think the draft community is just getting nervous because they have those blank spots in their profile on  all the athletic numbers. I am sure there are some teams that have bumped him down for this as well, but I think that is the minority. It seems most teams either believe in the tape and the interviews for WR -especially when we are looking at non speedster types. I mean, is there any doubt that Davis has NFL WR speed? I don't think so. At the same time, doubt there are many people that think Davis is a guy that needs great speed to win either.  Davis isn't a high end prospect because people see him an elite athlete. He is a high end prospect because he was insanely productive for a long time, is a polished route runner and has above average size. Those are things that can't change from a couple workouts. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Western Michigan's Corey Davis will visit the Titans on Sunday and Monday.
He'll meet with the Ravens on Monday and Tuesday. Davis would be a logical fit for both teams. Tennessee lost Kendall Wright and showed interest in Brandin Cooks and Alshon Jeffery in free agency. The Ravens are looking to replace Kamar Aiken (Colts) and Steve Smith Sr. (retirement). Many consider Davis the top receiver in this year's draft class.

Related: TitansRavens

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Western Michigan's Corey Davis will visit the Titans on Sunday and Monday.
He'll meet with the Ravens on Monday and Tuesday. Davis would be a logical fit for both teams. Tennessee lost Kendall Wright and showed interest in Brandin Cooks and Alshon Jeffery in free agency. The Ravens are looking to replace Kamar Aiken (Colts) and Steve Smith Sr. (retirement). Many consider Davis the top receiver in this year's draft class.
I will be praying for the Titans to trade up 1 spot ahead of the Ravens to get Davis. I don't want to face this guy twice a year.

Best WR this year and last and it's not even close, imo. If he drops out of the top 10 or so, some team is gonna get a real bargain!

One NFL executive believes that Western Michigan WR Corey Davis might slide to the second round.
"I like Corey Davis as a player, but he's been out of sight, out of my mind in the spring," the executive said, adding that "[t]he fact that he won't run a 40 isn't a huge deal but it could impact the thinking of some teams around the league." We have heard these kinds of rumblings over the past few weeks. The 6-foot-3, 215-pounder has been largely unable to participate in the pre-draft process due to a minor ankle surgery he underwent in February. Davis was mocked in the top-10 during some industry exercises this winter, though, and could end up being one of the steals of the draft if he does, indeed, take a little tumble.

Source: NFL.com 
Apr 18 - 4:43 PM

One NFL executive believes that Western Michigan WR Corey Davis might slide to the second round.
"I like Corey Davis as a player, but he's been out of sight, out of my mind in the spring," the executive said, adding that "[t]he fact that he won't run a 40 isn't a huge deal but it could impact the thinking of some teams around the league." We have heard these kinds of rumblings over the past few weeks. The 6-foot-3, 215-pounder has been largely unable to participate in the pre-draft process due to a minor ankle surgery he underwent in February. Davis was mocked in the top-10 during some industry exercises this winter, though, and could end up being one of the steals of the draft if he does, indeed, take a little tumble.
He said with hope in his eye.

Best WR this year and last and it's not even close, imo. If he drops out of the top 10 or so, some team is gonna get a real bargain!
No kidding.  Outstanding work ethic/good character, plus he was coached by PJ Fleck for four years who was a former WR and also coached WRs at Tampa Bay under Schiano.  Fleck just raves about Corey. 

"The fact that he won't run a 40..." Seems the unnamed executive doesn't believe Davis actually has an injury. 

While I don't think it's that important for some prospects to do the combine/pro day, when a guy is coming from a small school it is nice to be able to confirm that he doesn't just look fast/big/whatever against weaker opponents. Plus, if Davis is faking an injury that's not a good thing either. I am NOT saying that he is but if this is what this executive believes then I think his comments make a little bit more sense. 

More fake injury news for Davis. Said exec is probably that renob from Washington. Go ahead and "red flag" him if you want. Pure internet speculation. 

Hey, Putin has one of Robert krafts super bowl rings, maybe the Russians are doing the spying for him now. More facts in that statement than in any fake injury speculation. 

They had the most passing attempts in the NFL for 2 years in a row.
They throw a lot which is surprising based on their weak points output. Here's their problem. The coaching staff is stupid. No team throws more 20+ yard deep, low %, sideline passes than the Ravens do on 3rd and less than 5. Owning Tucker I don't mind when they are inside the 40 but they piss me off when they are outside Tucker's range and they do this ####. Many times the ball is completely uncatchable.

Agreed. I wonder how far Amari Cooper or Sammy Watkins would have fallen if they hadn't run 40's, because I think Davis absolutely has a similar level of talent as those guys.

No dude.  While I could get on board with the "best WR this year" train, it would still be close.  Mike Williams is a freak.  

lod001 said:
They throw a lot which is surprising based on their weak points output. Here's their problem. The coaching staff is stupid. No team throws more 20+ yard deep, low %, sideline passes than the Ravens do on 3rd and less than 5. Owning Tucker I don't mind when they are inside the 40 but they piss me off when they are outside Tucker's range and they do this ####. Many times the ball is completely uncatchable.
So, what, anything outside the 50?  Dude has the biggest leg in the NFL, they just don't let him use it.

In a Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel poll on the class' top receiver, Western Michigan WR Corey Davis narrowly topped Clemson's Mike Williams and Washington's John Ross to finish best in show.

"I don’t know how fast he could run but Michael Irvin ran 4.57 and he makes all those plays like Michael Irvin," one scout said. "Watch the games against Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin. Strong, quick, can break tackles. He’s the best." Davis' pre-Draft process has been quieter than most after he missed the NFL Combine due to minor ankle surgery he underwent in February. "He’s good, but not like some of the top guys from the past two years," said a third scout. "He’s like the kid from the Eagles (Jordan Matthews). Little better hands."

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel 
Apr 23 - 2:53 PM

Western Michigan WR Corey Davis visited the Ravens, Titans, Eagles, Browns, and Cardinals.

It is usually foolish to put much stock into where a prospect visits, but Davis' list could be important considering he was not able to work out at the Combine or his Pro Day because of ankle surgery. Davis did post a video showing him running routes, and he expects to be back at full health in a few weeks. Of the visits, Davis noted the "feel" with the Ravens was "a lot different" than the others. Owners of the No. 16 overall pick, Baltimore could certainly use a receiver with Davis' skill set.

Related: CardinalsRavensBrownsEaglesTitans

Source: ESPN 
Apr 25 - 10:55 AM

Greg Cosell thinks wide receiver is a possibility for the 49ers

Excerpt:

“I really like him [Davis]. Now, you’re going to hear the small school argument. Hey, I get it, there’s merit to that. But I think this kid has a chance to be really special. He’s 6’3, 210, he’s explosive. I’m not going to invoke any names, but when you watch him on tape and take quick slants and just burst with tremendous explosion. There’s a lot of guys who can do that. I’m not going to tell you he’s Julio Jones. I think he’s more like that than just a big possessive receiver. I think there’s an explosiveness in his game and that’s what separates him.”

The Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson reports the Ravens have "considerable interest" in Western Michigan WR Corey Davis, and Davis is "one of their stronger options" at the No. 16 overall pick.

Wilson presently covers the Texans, but he wrote for the Carroll County Times and Baltimore Sun for many years on the Ravens' beat, so his reporting is noteworthy. The Ravens' wideout group is among the weakest in football with Mike Wallace and Breshad Perriman returning atop the depth chart. Davis has the best game film of any receiver in this draft. He played in the MAC, however, and did not work out before the draft due to ankle surgery.

Related: Ravens

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter 
Apr 26 - 9:35 PM

Fox Sports' Peter Schrager reports that the Ravens' interest in Western Michigan WR Corey Davis is "real."
"They'll go best player as they typically do, but that's a strong connection," Schrager wrote. Depending on the way the board falls, Davis -- if he's there -- could easily be the top player on Baltimore's board when they come on the clock at No. 16.

Source: Peter Schrager on Twitter 
Apr 27 - 6:21 PM

I may just select him 1.2 in a league I traded for the pick last year.

The dream is alive.  Mariotta to Davis is going to be a deadly combo for years to come.  Probably one of best spots imaginable for him.

2017 NFL Draft Live Analysis: Fantasy Football Values Round 1

Excerpt:

Tennessee Titans: Corey Davis, WR – LOVE this pick. Marcus Mariota was inside my Top 5 for way too early rankings, and he’s staying there. Davis was my No. 1 rated receiver, and when I say he looks like Terrell Owens, that’s not hyperbole. Davis has the NFL body, athleticism, route running skills and moves to succeed Day 1. Davis will challenge Rishard Matthews as the team’s No. 1 option, even as a rookie. Matthews finished as the 13th best receiver despite seeing limited work to start the year. Davis is my 1.01 pick in dynasty and a high-end WR3 in redraft. Seeing him 100 percent healthy and acclimating to the offense this offseason will push Davis into the mid-low WR2 range. He’s the real deal.

Titans selected Western Michigan WR Corey Davis with the No. 5 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.

uated as the NCAA’s all-time leader in receiving yards (5,278), tallying 331 career receptions (15.9 YPR) and 52 touchdowns and earning 2016 MAC Offensive Player of the Year. Also smart, Davis scored 31 on the Wonderlic Test. Post-season ankle surgery prevented Davis from testing before the draft, and he did drop 11 passes as a senior. A plus-sized wideout who moves like a smaller man, Davis showed impressive quickness for his size on tape and dominated after the catch a la early-career Brandon Marshall. Davis drew pre-draft comparisons to Michael Thomas and Keenan Allen. Tennessee is a strong fit for Davis' immediate fantasy outlook with high-level quarterback play and non-dominant talent in the rest of the Titans' pass-catcher corps.

Cant say i agree, Davis landed in a very good spot, but that's based on opportunity to be the unquestioned #1 there. I say this as someone that will heavily consider him at 1.01 but there were a heck of a lot better offensive scheme landing spots that don't focus on playing defense and pounding the running game.

The Titans have also done a ####ty job developing Wr's the past few years and have squandered a 1st & multiple 2nd round picks at the position prior to this so there's some small concern there as well.

Any post-draft reflection on this guy?   I'm high on Mariota but the proficient run-game could hold both he and Davis back in 2017.  Still...safe to assume he should have many years of studly potential ahead of him?

Users who are viewing this thread