What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Pre-combine / Pre-NFL Draft rookie rankings 2017 (1 Viewer)

Zyphros

Footballguy
Well there wasn't a thread that I could find so I figured I'd kick it off.  I only have a top25 as of this writing and I haven't finished watching some guys but here's my list.  My list is based on 1QB/3RB/3WR/2TE .5ppr.  Let me know who pops and who doesn't cause I'd like to hear perspectives on guys I might be too high/low on.  Hopefully others post theirs as well and we can get a good discussion going.  

1.  Leonard Fournette

2.  Corey Davis

3.  Dalvin Cook

4.  JuJu Smith-Schuster

5.  Christian McCaffrey

6.  Joe Mixon (Totally dependent on where/if he gets drafted)

7.  OJ Howard

8.  Mike Williams

9.  David Njoku

10.  Dede Westbrook

11.  Cooper Kupp

12.  Ardarius Stewart

13.  Evan Engram

14.  Samaje Perine

15.  Wayne Gallman

16.  John Ross

17.  Zay Jones

18.  Jamaal Williams

19.  D'Onte Foreman

20.  Jake Butt

21.  Travin Dural

22.  Kareem Hunt

23.  Elijah McGuire

24.  Artavis Scott

25.  Amba Etta-Tawo

My favorites in this class right now are Corey Davis, Cooper Kupp, Ardarius Stewart, and Kareem Hunt out of this list.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Big Mixon fan. Great talent. He's like a more athletic LeVeon Bell. When you factor in his pass catching, I think he's the best FF prospect in this draft. Versatility is huge in the NFL these days and the guys who can both catch and run are the ones you really want in FF (i.e. Bell, DJ, Forte). I see Mixon being another one.

Never liked Fournette as much as the hype, but he's really big/fast with decent quicks. I think he'll have some big seasons in the NFL.

I like JuJu too. Very good player. People are missing the boat there. He's going to have a very solid pro career. Should be a first round pick IMO, regardless of what happens.

Thanks for taking the time!

This is where I'm at right now, 1PPR with TE premium:

1. Corey Davis
  2. Christian McCaffrey
  3. Dalvin Cook
  4. Leonard Fournette
  5. Mike Williams
  6. John Ross
  7. David Njoku

if you're going to dump on mine, where's yours?  No I didn't by the way, but feel free to add something enlightening.  
I certainly appreciate you going out on a limb and posting your honest opinion. Or a very clever smokescreen I suppose. I also appreciate seeing Amba Etta tawo getting a mention. He's a later round guy I like, even if I didn't know his name in a previous thread (tawa etto). Anyone can regurgitate Daniel Jeremiah and Mel kiper. You're taking a stance.

Thanks for posting your rankings.  I'm not personally as high on Davis or JuJu and not as low on Williams (I agree there are big question marks but I wouldn't drop him that far).

My list is based on 1QB/3RB/3WR/2TE .5ppr

22.  Kareem Hunt

My favorites in this class right now are Corey Davis, Cooper Kupp, Ardarius Stewart, and Kareem Hunt out of this list.  
Odd, you say hunt is among your favorites but he's about 8 spots too low imo - especially if you're starting 3RB and only 3WR. (That's an uncommon lineup which skews value).  Hunt is one of the top  5 backs  (again imo) in ppr.  He's a bit under weight but has everything else we look for in a back.  Maybe I'll be wrong (we often are) but I suspect hunt will be on a lot of my teams unless he goes higher than expected. 

Thanks for starting this thread.  I usually don't start scouting heavily until after the combine.  I like to have some numbers to look at and compare/contrast against what I see on game tape.  What I have seen in my limited scouting so far, and I usually focus on rb more than other positions this early, is that I think Cook is the cream of  the Rb class.  Mixon would be pretty high to, but it is dependent on how teams perceive his off the field issues.  I am not happy at all that you listed Samaje Perine.  He is a guy that I could see being a developmental stash and steal late rounder in dynasty, but if he is on peoples radar this early I may have to find another prospect.

Thanks for starting this thread.  I usually don't start scouting heavily until after the combine.  I like to have some numbers to look at and compare/contrast against what I see on game tape.  What I have seen in my limited scouting so far, and I usually focus on rb more than other positions this early, is that I think Cook is the cream of  the Rb class.  Mixon would be pretty high to, but it is dependent on how teams perceive his off the field issues.  I am not happy at all that you listed Samaje Perine.  He is a guy that I could see being a developmental stash and steal late rounder in dynasty, but if he is on peoples radar this early I may have to find another prospect.
I think it's pretty safe to say Perine is on everybody's radar. If you thought you were going to steal him in the 3-4th round it wasn't happening. 

Odd, you say hunt is among your favorites but he's about 8 spots too low imo - especially if you're starting 3RB and only 3WR. (That's an uncommon lineup which skews value).  Hunt is one of the top  5 backs  (again imo) in ppr.  He's a bit under weight but has everything else we look for in a back.  Maybe I'll be wrong (we often are) but I suspect hunt will be on a lot of my teams unless he goes higher than expected. 
I haven't heard a lot about Hunt going into the combine so very little hype kind of left me with an unknown feeling of where to place him.  I have yet to see him in anyones top5 actually. He's in the same tier on my rankings as Jamaal Williams, D'Onte Foreman, Alvin Kamara, and Elijah McGuire.  I think that tier will sort its self out after the combine more and I can see Hunt moving up if he performs well cause I don't really expect the others to rise during the combine.  

Too high on JJSS 

Too low on John Ross
Why?  JuJu looks like the real deal and a better version of Mike Williams with more depth to his game.  I think the consensus is too low on him cause he looks good to me.  

Ross on the other hand doesn't give me the same feeling when I watch him.  He tracks the ball well but I'm under the impression he's going to test very well but his play speed isn't as good as that.  He won't be on my teams because I am low on him, and I'm fine with that.  

I certainly appreciate you going out on a limb and posting your honest opinion. Or a very clever smokescreen I suppose. I also appreciate seeing Amba Etta tawo getting a mention. He's a later round guy I like, even if I didn't know his name in a previous thread (tawa etto). Anyone can regurgitate Daniel Jeremiah and Mel kiper. You're taking a stance.
For Amba Etta-Tawo, I remember adding him to my "watch list" after going through ZWK's rankings.  His numbers on his rankings, from memory, were one of the top 3 WR's from this based on his formula, that struck me I guess and he looks good enough for him to crack my top25.  

Big Mixon fan. Great talent. He's like a more athletic LeVeon Bell. When you factor in his pass catching, I think he's the best FF prospect in this draft. Versatility is huge in the NFL these days and the guys who can both catch and run are the ones you really want in FF (i.e. Bell, DJ, Forte). I see Mixon being another one.

Never liked Fournette as much as the hype, but he's really big/fast with decent quicks. I think he'll have some big seasons in the NFL.

I like JuJu too. Very good player. People are missing the boat there. He's going to have a very solid pro career. Should be a first round pick IMO, regardless of what happens.
How does he compare talent-wise to Christine Michael?

I think it's pretty safe to say Perine is on everybody's radar. If you thought you were going to steal him in the 3-4th round it wasn't happening. 
Just to make this point, I'm on vacation right now. This 12 yr old kid sitting in the pool was touting perine as the guy he wants his Vikings to go after in the mid rounds. So he's a household name.

D'onte foreman seems low 

And Kamara didn't even make the top 25...? Hasn't he been touted as a borderline first rounder? 

D'onte foreman seems low 

And Kamara didn't even make the top 25...? Hasn't he been touted as a borderline first rounder? 
Kamara is 27th on my list, so just off my cut.  Like I said in a previous post he's in that same tier as Foreman/McGuire/Hunt/J. Williams.  I'm starting to get a little deeper than 25.  He's a guy I can't quite put my finger on, he looks fantastic sometimes then completely inept other times.  When it's all said and done, I doubt he's a 1st/2nd rounder in the NFL draft.  If that isn't the case then I'll have to re-watch some of him (and others that go earlier/later than expected) and move him accordingly.  He's another guy along with Ross that I just don't see myself taking anywhere because I'm lower than most on him.  

I try not to move people to a new tier in my rankings until I know situation and the combine.  Basically they move within a tier after the combine, and then situation is what could vault someone into another tier but other than that I keep the tiers relatively locked in place until pre-season.

I was hoping that the buzz around Fournette, Cook, and McCaffery would let him fall through the cracks.  Rb's go for a premium in my dynasty league so I was hoping he would fall to the 2nd-3rd round.  Considering I will be picking 10th in this years rookie draft I might give him a serious look there, if he falls that far.

I was hoping that the buzz around Fournette, Cook, and McCaffery would let him fall through the cracks.  Rb's go for a premium in my dynasty league so I was hoping he would fall to the 2nd-3rd round.  Considering I will be picking 10th in this years rookie draft I might give him a serious look there, if he falls that far.
Combine will shift that 2nd tier around a bit I think. He's probably there at 10, but highly doubt he's there at 2.10. 

My preliminary top 20 that is incredibly volatile, with 9-18 bunched together pretty closely.

1. Dalvin Cook

2. Leonard Fournette

3. Corey Davis

4. Mike Williams

5. Christian McCaffrey

6. Joe Mixon

7. JuJu Smith-Schuster

8. John Ross

9. Samaje Perine

10. Alvin Kamara

11. Isaiah Ford

12. KD Cannon

13. D'Onte Foreman

14. OJ Howard

15. Kareem Hunt

16. David Njoku

17. Carlos Henderson

18. Curtis Samuel

19. Zay Jones

20. Evan Engram

Question for all you guys doing rankings... if Mixon goes in the 2nd or 3rd round where does he land on your lists?  I've seen him ranked anywhere from #5 overall to not ranked. Any chance he unseats one of the top 2 WRs if taken in rounds 2 or 3?  Obviously situation (which team) will play a role...

Question for all you guys doing rankings... if Mixon goes in the 2nd or 3rd round where does he land on your lists?  I've seen him ranked anywhere from #5 overall to not ranked. Any chance he unseats one of the top 2 WRs if taken in rounds 2 or 3?  Obviously situation (which team) will play a role...
I have him ranked as if he will be picked in the 3rd-4th round. 2nd round would bump him over McCaffrey, debatable with Mike Williams. Being picked in the 5th round would likely bump him below some 2nd round RBs in my mind (whoever that ends up being).

I don't even follow college football much but I have been interested in Perine since 2014.

Thanks for the list Zypros. I am curious about why you do not like John Ross?

I haven't watched Ross at all yet, I just note that he has been mentioned in a lot of top 5 and top 10 lists recently and I was meaning to watch him soon because of that. What are some flaws in Ross's game that cause you to think he wont be a successful player for fantasy?

Ross reminds me of Cooks but I don't think he's going to test as fast nor do I think he plays as fast. He would have to land in an ideal situation like Cooks is in now to generate much interest for me.

Ross reminds me of Cooks but I don't think he's going to test as fast nor do I think he plays as fast. He would have to land in an ideal situation like Cooks is in now to generate much interest for me.
It could be nothing, as many of these tales prove to be BS.  But he claims to have just run a 4.30 lazer timed.  

I agree that Ross doesn't look as fast on tape as his supposed 40 time. Davis looks faster to me when I watch both of their 'tape'. 

My preliminary top 20 that is incredibly volatile, with 9-18 bunched together pretty closely.

1. Dalvin Cook

2. Leonard Fournette

3. Corey Davis

4. Mike Williams

5. Christian McCaffrey

6. Joe Mixon

7. JuJu Smith-Schuster

8. John Ross

9. Samaje Perine

10. Alvin Kamara

11. Isaiah Ford

12. KD Cannon

13. D'Onte Foreman

14. OJ Howard

15. Kareem Hunt

16. David Njoku

17. Carlos Henderson

18. Curtis Samuel

19. Zay Jones

20. Evan Engram
Love this list, except for McCaffrey who I have in the mid teens.

1. Dalvin Cook

2. Leonard Fournette

3. Corey Davis

4. Mike Williams

5. Christian McCaffrey

6. Joe Mixon

7. JuJu Smith-Schuster

8. John Ross

9. Samaje Perine

10. Alvin Kamara

11. Isaiah Ford

12. KD Cannon

13. D'Onte Foreman

14. OJ Howard

15. Kareem Hunt

16. David Njoku

17. Carlos Henderson

18. Curtis Samuel

19. Zay Jones

20. Evan Engram
I got a bad taste in my mouth when watching Ford, just didn't like the awkwardness to his movements or what I thought looked like sloppy athleticism, for lack of a better word.  Cannon though looked good but I'm a little worried he only has that "go" speed and no patience to let this develop and then surprise DB's with speed.  Not much finesse.  I liked Cannon with some caveat's and didn't really like Ford.  So what makes you high on those 2?

6.  Joe Mixon (Totally dependent on where/if he gets drafted)
This makes no sense to me.  Where/if one gets drafted affects every player and is not unique to Mixon.  Mixon is going to play whether he is drafted or signs as a FA.  I can see rankings based on the risk of future offenses but where/if he gets drafted???  Irrelevant....he's going to play and frankly for fantasy purposes a FA contract benefits him.

I'm hoping we can start seeing discussion on Mixon as a player.  The off the field issues have been discussed ad-nauseum.  Frankly, I see his chances for re-habilitation much higher than if he had substance issues.  

Pedigree is going to matter for Mixon just like it matters for anyone with question marks. The higher you're drafted, the longer your leash, the more invested the team is in your success, the more likely you are to get on the field early, the more likely they'll work with you through growing pains, etc. The higher he's drafted the better for dynasty owners interested in acquiring him, even if his talent would have gotten him a shot as an UDFA. 

Never mind the fact that the further he falls, the more likely it is that he's taken as a luxury pick by a team who already has a stud RB, just because the value's good and they can take the risk. Fantasy owners don't want that. We want a team to invest in him, invest enough that he's assured a shot at the starting job regardless of who else is there or what the media says. 

This makes no sense to me.  Where/if one gets drafted affects every player and is not unique to Mixon.  Mixon is going to play whether he is drafted or signs as a FA.  I can see rankings based on the risk of future offenses but where/if he gets drafted???  Irrelevant....he's going to play and frankly for fantasy purposes a FA contract benefits him.

I'm hoping we can start seeing discussion on Mixon as a player.  The off the field issues have been discussed ad-nauseum.  Frankly, I see his chances for re-habilitation much higher than if he had substance issues.  
Completely agree. 

Crowell is the most recent off-field-issued running back to Mixon. I was taking Crowell in the 1.12-2.4 range in rookie drafts that year, and expect Mixon to be in that #10-#16 range when the dust settles, even if he is UDFA. There will always be a couple owners in every league to chase the upside. 

Crowell is the most recent off-field-issued running back to Mixon. I was taking Crowell in the 1.12-2.4 range in rookie drafts that year, and expect Mixon to be in that #10-#16 range when the dust settles, even if he is UDFA. There will always be a couple owners in every league to chase the upside. 
If Mixon is around at 1.12, I'm a chaser of the upside.

Never mind the fact that the further he falls, the more likely it is that he's taken as a luxury pick by a team who already has a stud RB, just because the value's good and they can take the risk. Fantasy owners don't want that. We want a team to invest in him, invest enough that he's assured a shot at the starting job regardless of who else is there or what the media says. 
I don't know if that applies to any position but QB, but especially RB. La'el Collins was a luxury pickup by the Cowboys but was official starter by game 6 because he was clearly better than their other G. Teams draft RB in mid rounds for depth and then use them more if they are better than the veterans, like Perkins and Howard. There are possible dead zones like PIT and LA, but that can be true for RB taken early like Derrick Henry and Tevin Coleman. Is there much difference between Derrick Henry and Karlos Williams' rookie year? Karlos fits Mixon's profile a little bit, and the fact that he dropped put in him in that bad situation you warn about, yet he was able to flash enough for his value to go up, at least until he got in trouble again.

If Mixon is around at 1.12, I'm a chaser of the upside.
If he's a 4th rounder in a good spot, he probably goes as high as #5.

If no team drafts him and he lands as a UDFA, he probably is around #10-#14, I'd guess depending on roster space and league mates. 

If he's a 4th rounder in a good spot, he probably goes as high as #5.

If no team drafts him and he lands as a UDFA, he probably is around #10-#14, I'd guess depending on roster space and league mates. 
Agree. I highly doubt he is there at the 1.12. If he interviews well I see him going as high as the 3rd. Some team that feels comfortable with him will take a chance (not sure how much of a chance it is...I think he is super talented). 

Agree. I highly doubt he is there at the 1.12. If he interviews well I see him going as high as the 3rd. Some team that feels comfortable with him will take a chance (not sure how much of a chance it is...I think he is super talented). 
Agree, unless he tells teams he's planning on battering further women there s no chance he isn't drafted.

Agree, unless he tells teams he's planning on battering further women there s no chance he isn't drafted.
I really don't understand your comment, but I'm glad you agree. In the end, I think some players come across much more sincere and show remorse from mistakes they have made. GM's and coaches should be able to see through the BS. 

I really don't understand your comment, but I'm glad you agree. In the end, I think some players come across much more sincere and show remorse from mistakes they have made. GM's and coaches should be able to see through the BS. 
Yeah, I was just saying unless he says something really stupid in his interviews he will absolutely be drafted. 

These will change a bunch, but early on this is what I have for PPR:

Fournette, Leonard

Cook, Dalvin

Williams, Mike

Davis, Corey

Mixon, Joe

Ross, John

McCaffrey, Christian

Foreman, D'onta

Kamara, Alvin

Hunt, Kareem

Henderson, Carlos

Howard, OJ

Smith-Schuster, Juju

Ford, Isaiah

Njoku, David

Engram, Evan

Godwin, Chris

Samuel, Curtis

Jones, Zay

Hansen, Chad

Perine, Samaje

Mack, Marlon

Kupp, Cooper

Williams, Jamaal

Westbrook, Dede

Dupre, Malachi

Gallman, Wayne

McNichols, Jeremy

Watson, Deshaun

Taylor, Taywan

Hodges, Bucky

Butt, Jake

Cannon, KD

Stewart, Ardarius

Kizer, DeShone

Mahomes, Patrick

Darboh, Amara

Reynolds, Josh

Brown, Noah

Leggett, Jordan

Everett, Gerald

Clement, Corey

Hood, Elijah

McGuire, Elijah

Conner, James

Trubisky, Mitch

Sprinkle, Jeremy

Rudolph, Travis

Dural, Travin

Hill, Brian

I've finished watching a lot more guys in the past couple of days since I posted my rankings and I can see why some of you are high on Carlos Henderson and Curtis Samuel.  I can't imagine either one not in my top20 after my review of each, unless they totally bomb the combine.  I won't insert them into my rankings yet, but those are 2 that I think should be up there that I just hadn't gotten to yet.  

If I was basing my rankings solely on my formulas (which incorporate production, size, and projected 40 time), then they would look something like this:

1    RB    Dalvin Cook    FSU
2    RB    Joe Mixon    Oklahoma
3    WR    Taywan Taylor    Western Ky
4    WR    Corey Davis    W Mich
5    WR    JuJu Smith-Schuster    USC
6    RB    Samaje Perine    Oklahoma
7    RB    Leonard Fournette    LSU
8    RB    Christian McCaffrey    Stanford
9    RB    Curtis Samuel    Ohio State
10    WR    Dede Westbrook    Oklahoma
11    WR    Jalen Robinette    Air Force
12    WR    Amba Etta-Tawo    Syracuse
13    WR    Josh Malone    Tennessee
14    WR    Shelton Gibson    WVU
15    TE    Evan Engram    Mississippi
16    RB    Elijah Hood    N Carolina
17    RB    James Conner    Pittsburgh
18    RB    Jeremy McNichols    Boise St
19    RB    Wayne Gallman    Clemson
20    RB    Kareem Hunt    Toledo
21    RB    D’Onta Foreman    Texas
22    RB    Elijah McGuire    La-Lafytte
23    TE    David Njoku    Miami FL
24    TE    Jordan Leggett    Clemson
25    TE    O.J. Howard    Alabama
26    TE    Darrell Daniels    Washington
27    WR    Carlos Henderson    La Tech
28    WR    Josh Reynolds    Texas A&M
29    WR    Keevan Lucas    Tulsa
30    WR    Cooper Kupp    EWU
31    WR    Chad Hansen    California
32    WR    Tanner Gentry    Wyoming
33    WR    ArDarius Stewart    Alabama
34    WR    KD Cannon    Baylor
35    TE    Gerald Everett    South Alabama
36    WR    Kenny Golladay    N Illinois
37    WR    DeAngelo Yancey    Purdue
38    WR    Austin Carr    N'western
39    WR    John Ross    Washington
40    WR    Chris Godwin    Penn State
41    WR    Nicholas Norris    Western Ky
42    WR    Mike Williams    Clemson
43    TE    Cole Hikutini    Louisville

I have smushed together tiers rather than trying to make a precise set of rankings (hence the long strings of players at the same position). I'm ignoring off-the-field issues, injuries, tape, reputation, etc. This is not the ranking that I would use if I was actually drafting today, although it does give a pretty good idea of which players I see as underrated vs. overrated (and thus which players I'd be likely to end up with if I did have a draft today).

I'm not going to dispute Mixon's talent.  But asserting he will absolutely be drafted is an overreach IMO.  Ever hear of a guy named Ray Rice?  Proven stud RB in the NFL.  Physically abused a woman and when that tape broke that was the last time he touched a football in a NFL game.  And he has since shown contrition - something Mixon has not done.

I'm not taking the absolute position that Mixon won't be drafted, but it would not surprise me in the least if he weren't.  The guy is poison to even the most secure GM and organization.

Users who are viewing this thread