What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Oscars (1 Viewer)

LAUNCH

Footballguy
ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

NOMINEES

CASEY AFFLECK

Manchester by the Sea

ANDREW GARFIELD

Hacksaw Ridge

RYAN GOSLING

La La Land

VIGGO MORTENSEN

Captain Fantastic

DENZEL WASHINGTON

Fences

Winner - 

DENZEL WASHINGTON

Fences

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

NOMINEES

MAHERSHALA ALI

Moonlight

JEFF BRIDGES

Hell or High Water

LUCAS HEDGES

Manchester by the Sea

DEV PATEL

Lion

MICHAEL SHANNON

Nocturnal Animals

Winner - 

NOMINEES

MAHERSHALA ALI

Moonlight

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

NOMINEES

ISABELLE HUPPERT

Elle

RUTH NEGGA

Loving

NATALIE PORTMAN

Jackie

EMMA STONE

La La Land

MERYL STREEP

Florence Foster Jenkins

Winner -

EMMA STONE

La La Land

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

NOMINEES

VIOLA DAVIS

Fences

NAOMIE HARRIS

Moonlight

NICOLE KIDMAN

Lion

OCTAVIA SPENCER

Hidden Figures

MICHELLE WILLIAMS

Manchester by the Sea

Winner - 

NOMINEES

VIOLA DAVIS

Fences

DIRECTING

NOMINEES

ARRIVAL

Denis Villeneuve

HACKSAW RIDGE

Mel Gibson

LA LA LAND

Damien Chazelle

MANCHESTER BY THE SEA

Kenneth Lonergan

MOONLIGHT

Barry Jenkins

Winner - 

LA LA LAND

Damien Chazelle

BEST PICTURE

NOMINEES

ARRIVAL

Shawn Levy, Dan Levine, Aaron Ryder and David Linde, Producers

FENCES

Scott Rudin, Denzel Washington and Todd Black, Producers

HACKSAW RIDGE

Bill Mechanic and David Permut, Producers

HELL OR HIGH WATER

Carla Hacken and Julie Yorn, Producers

HIDDEN FIGURES

Donna Gigliotti, Peter Chernin, Jenno Topping, Pharrell Williams and Theodore Melfi, Producers

LA LA LAND

Fred Berger, Jordan Horowitz and Marc Platt, Producers

LION

Emile Sherman, Iain Canning and Angie Fielder, Producers

MANCHESTER BY THE SEA

Matt Damon, Kimberly Steward, Chris Moore, Lauren Beck and Kevin J. Walsh, Producers

MOONLIGHT

Adele Romanski, Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner, Producers

Winner - 

LA LA LAND

Fred Berger, Jordan Horowitz and Marc Platt, Producers

I'm out of it this year.  The only nominee I've seen is Fences.  Great acting and writing but not Best Picture caliber.

I wish there was a way to watch these without having to get to the theater (legally).  The only one that I've seen that's up for awards is Arrival.  Just don't get to the theater much anymore, so I am always behind.  I will still DVR The Oscars on Sunday, but between not seeing stuff and knowing there is going to be a lot of political stuff that will get old, I am sure I will be hitting the FF a bit.  

I've seen La La Land, Arrival, and Manchester of the Best Pic nods.  

I thought Manchester by the Sea was fairly boring, but did have a great performance by Casey Affleck.  I tend to hate musicals with a passion but thought La La Land was surprisingly decent which probably says something about.  I'm sure it will sweep everything,  I also think Chazelle should win to make up for not getting anything for Whiplash, which is an amazing movie.   

I hope Emma Stone wins because the Oscar would look good on our mantle after I marry her one day.  

Not looking forward to the inevitable anti-trump soapboxes that will be on display despite me probably agreeing with everything that will be said.  

Going to see Hidden Figures this week, I dig those historical type flicks.  Fences looked interesting but I couldn't get pumped to go to a theater and see it.  Saw Nocturnal Animals....not sure what to say about that flick.

I've seen Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge, Hidden Figures and Hell or High Water. I've listed them in the order than I would rate them but they were all fantastic movies.

Arrival - The most thought provoking of the lot. The other 3 were all good movies but this is the only one that lingered for several days.

Hacksaw Ridge - The s**t that the men and women of WWII went thru never ceases to amaze me. The fact that the vast majority volunteered is even more incredible. What Desmond Doss did is on a completely other level. Maintaining his faith and yet honorably serving his country in battle without a weapon is unbelievable. Mel Gibson did a heck of a job making Doss' experiences into a movie.

Hidden Figures - I lived, breathed and ate NASA as a kid growing up. Heck, I still do and yet I'd never heard the story of these women or their accomplishments in the Mercury program. The three leading ladies in this story all were fantastic and I thought Costner's character was also well done.

Hell or High Water - Last on my list but also thoroughly enjoyable. The highlights from this movie for me were 1) The Cinematography, 2) Bridges portrayal of Ranger Marcus Hamilton. I didn't see any of the other movies that contain Best Supporting Actor but Bridges absolutely deserved his nomination  3) The 70s style feel to the movie. I don't know exactly what it was about it but it gave me flashbacks to some of the great 70s cop/robber movies like The French Connection.

Was a time the week before the Oscars was a scramble to rent or go see all the films w major noms. Haven't seen a one this yr. Looking fwd to renting Moonlight, Hidden Figures (anything i hate more than Oscarbait, its OprahBait but these two flicks seem to have transcended NobleNegoritis) & LaLaLand (musicals being my thing, of course) but will probably wait til the rest are on TV. Time to get a smart TV & some Netflix, i think.

I'm in the same situation as wikkidpissah because I haven't seen one of these films either. I looked up the trailers for the ones I hadn't heard of and Captain Fantastic looks interesting. Whenever I would see this movie title for some reason I would confuse it with Doctor Strange and think it was the new Cumberbatch superhero movie. :bag:

I've seen them all, and I think La La Land was the best of the bunch. In any other year though, Lion is 100% a best picture caliber of film.

I wish there was a way to watch these without having to get to the theater (legally).  The only one that I've seen that's up for awards is Arrival.  Just don't get to the theater much anymore, so I am always behind.  I will still DVR The Oscars on Sunday, but between not seeing stuff and knowing there is going to be a lot of political stuff that will get old, I am sure I will be hitting the FF a bit.  
There is. They're called screeners. You just need to have a brother who works for Fox.

Shrugs said:
There is. They're called screeners. You just need to have a brother who works for Fox.
Screeners are great. Used to get em from director cousin alla time but he hasnt sent any since the Birdman year

My guesses:

Best Picture: La La Land

Best Actor:  D. Washington

Best Actress: E. Stone

Best Director: D. Chazelle

Best Supporting Actor: M. Ali

Best Supporting Actress: V. Davis

Best Animated Film:  Zootopia

Best Foreign Film: The Salesman

Best Original Screenplay: Manchester by the Sea

Best Adapted Screenplay: Moonlight

Best Costume: Jackie

Best Song: City of Stars

Best Score: La La Land

Best Documentary:  OJ: Made In America

Best Doc Short: The White Helmets

Best Makeup:  Star Trek Beyond

Best Production Design: La La Land

Best Editing:  La La Land

Best Cinematography: La La Land

Best Sound Editing: Hacksaw Ridge

Best Sound Mixing: La La Land

Best Visual Effects: The Jungle Book

Best Animated Short:  Piper

Best Live Short: Ennemis Interieurs

Last edited by a moderator:
Kimmel started slow but finished great.  Had some great lines.  The only happy ending of any of the Best Picture nominees was in the middle of Moonlight? :lmao: I saw the movie last night.  Definitely got that joke

Kimmel laying it on the POTUS.  Can't wait for the usual "We Don't Care About Hollywood" memes that will permeate the Alt-Right internet world tomorrow. 

Users who are viewing this thread