What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Diego question (1 Viewer)

KCitons

Footballguy
We are heading to SD in April for my sons Marine corp graduation. We are arriving on Monday and family day/graduation isn't until Thurs/Fri. We are thinking about renting a hotel for Weds and Thursday night only. We want to drive up the coast after we land and don't know where we may end up. (we will just find a place at the end of each days journey) Since this is our first time in California, would you suggest staying in SD the whole time or stick to our plan? We have no desire to see Sea World, or Lego land, or any of the large tourist type things. We will spend Weds evening and Thurs morning checking out the downtown shops. (probably going to book our hotel for those two nights in that area)

Born and raised in SD.  There's plenty to do to fill up that time, Gaslamp and Seaport Village, Balboa Park, Coronado, etc etc but a drive up the coast into Orange County is nice too.   It's a win win really.   I'd stay away from LA but to each is own I guess.  

My suggestion though would be to stay in SD and get to know Americas Finest City.  It's an awesome place!    

Best of luck.  

We are heading to SD in April for my sons Marine corp graduation. We are arriving on Monday and family day/graduation isn't until Thurs/Fri. We are thinking about renting a hotel for Weds and Thursday night only. We want to drive up the coast after we land and don't know where we may end up. (we will just find a place at the end of each days journey) Since this is our first time in California, would you suggest staying in SD the whole time or stick to our plan? We have no desire to see Sea World, or Lego land, or any of the large tourist type things. We will spend Weds evening and Thurs morning checking out the downtown shops. (probably going to book our hotel for those two nights in that area)
Stay in San Diego the whole time. You will spend half your day driving on a Monday and Wednesday for not much upside compared to what you can do in San Diego.

Can you fly into somewhere other than San Diego on Monday?
We can. We looked at flying into LA (or surrounding area). We also looked at flying into Vegas and driving over. 

Thanks everyone for the input. We don't want to spend more than a few hours in the car each day. I was in Ft Lauderdale last week and the drive along the coast there was pretty slow with traffic. Is SD going to be the same way? Camp Pendleton is about an hour North. We want to go at least that far, as he may be stationed there in the near future. 

The vineyards sound cool. The micro breweries sound great. We are looking at staying downtown. (Weds/Thurs) We can get a discount rate at either the Hampton Inn or Porto Vista. (both have discounts for Marine parents). Looking at the map, these should both be within walking distance (or quick uber) to everything downtown? 

We can. We looked at flying into LA (or surrounding area). We also looked at flying into Vegas and driving over. 

Thanks everyone for the input. We don't want to spend more than a few hours in the car each day. I was in Ft Lauderdale last week and the drive along the coast there was pretty slow with traffic. Is SD going to be the same way? Camp Pendleton is about an hour North. We want to go at least that far, as he may be stationed there in the near future. 

The vineyards sound cool. The micro breweries sound great. We are looking at staying downtown. (Weds/Thurs) We can get a discount rate at either the Hampton Inn or Porto Vista. (both have discounts for Marine parents). Looking at the map, these should both be within walking distance (or quick uber) to everything downtown? 
If you wanted to do wineries your best option would be to fly into Burbank (Santa Barbara airport is likely too small) and go up to Solvang).  Then drive down PCH to go back to San Diego.

Other option is to fly into LAX and go to Long Beach (or Long Beach airport if it is an option) where you can go to Catalina Island for a couple days then drive to San Diego.

The latter would likely be more fun / less driving which can be a nightmare in Southern CA.

:blackdot:

Might be doing a Napa to San Diego trip in September. Looking forward to the drive. This will finish off the entire west coast for us since Big Sur to LA is the only part we haven't driven yet. A few days in Napa area and a few in SD. Haven't been to SD in 20+ years.

We are going back to SD and Palm Springs in a couple weeks.  Our plan is 2 days in Temecula Wine Valley (north of San Diego), 2 days in Palm Springs, and 2 days in San Diego.

If you're into wine Temecula is awesome.  It isn't Napa but it is definitely decent.  Also plan to hit a half dozen breweries over the course of the trip.

bananafish said:
I'd go for the drive but I love driving. It really gets nice once you get above LA and even moreso above SF and into Oregon...like driving through a calendar. IIRC there are hundred-mile stretches where the speed limit is 55 but you won't get close to that unless you're in a sports car with impecable handling as the road is so curvy. Really, really fun if you are into that sort of thing (the wife would probably be the limiting reagent). There's also alot of wineries where you can stop and stretch your legs. I don't know if you want to spend that much time in the car, though. I would but, like I said, I'm weird that way.

San Diego is a great city as well so you really can't go wrong. Also, congrats on your son, that's a monumental achievement. You must be very proud.
No way it is feasible to fly into San Diego on Monday; drive to SF, much less Oregon; and drive back in time for graduation on Thurs/Fri. SD to SF is 500 miles, much of it subject to heavy traffic. Plus, you seem to be suggesting taking PCH, which is slower still.

bagger said:
Stay in San Diego the whole time. You will spend half your day driving on a Monday and Wednesday for not much upside compared to what you can do in San Diego.
IMO this is the best advice.

Heading back to Camp Pendleton to see my son's graduation from Marine Combat Training. Three days left at my job. (Being laid off) Going to road trip it out to Oceanside. Then spending at least 3 days in Vegas.

After that..... just meander the countryside on my way back home?

Users who are viewing this thread