What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Minnesota Vikings (3 Viewers)

Vikings Grind Out Win Over Ravens With Defense, Special Teams

Minnesota has kept Keenum from being sacked in three consecutive games, including his second-half appearance in Chicago. He was last sacked in the fourth quarter against the Detroit Lions in Week 4. According to Pro Football Focus, Keenum has the lowest sack percentage under pressure of any NFL quarterback.
It has been an amazing turnaround for the Vikings offensive line compared to last season. They are doing a really good job in pass protection and also blocking for the running game.

Something that disappoints me about the defense when looking at the scores across the league this week, 3 other NFL teams were able to post shut outs today but the Vikings were not one of them. I don't think they could have shut out the Ravens. The 57 yard field goal by Tucker for example just not something you can prevent them from doing all game. They could have prevented the Ravens from scoring a TD however and with them having no receivers of note playing in this game, I think they should have. So giving up 78 yards and a TD to close out the game bothered me. The Ravens gained 37.5% of their total yards on that drive.

No it didn't matter in the overall outcome of the game, but I do think the lax play and prevent style of defense at the end of games is a bad habit for the team to get in. Good that the Vikings have been in a commanding enough position to give up garbage yards and points at the end of games I guess, but its not good training for the defense as far as winning close games ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vikings vs. Ravens: Game Notes

Offensive Line Somehow Manages To Do Well

The Ravens have a very good defensive front, led by Suggs, Williams and Pierce. And yet, the Vikings offensive line once again manages to not allow any sacks, while also leading the way in over 160 yards rushing. Both Riley Reiff and Mike Remmers had very good games at tackle. Reiff held off Suggs all day- who is not only a good pass rusher, but also stout against the run - allowing only one pressure and some good run blocking en route to his highest PFF grade of the season at 83.4.

Meanwhile Mike Remmers allowed just one hurry while also leading the way for big runs off the right side. According to Pro Football Focus, the Vikings averaged 9.1 yards/carry on eight runs off the right side. Remmers is the highest graded Vikings offensive lineman so far this season, and is on pace to have the best season of his career. Remmers finished the game with an 87.1 grade from PFF.

But apart from the tackles, and Joe Berger for the most part, the rest of the offensive linemen that have seen duty so far this season have been given much lower grades. Nick Easton and Pat Elflein, for example, both have overall season grades in the low-40s - very much in ‘poor’ territory. Jeremiah Sirles isn’t much better at 50.8 overall in less than two complete starts.Danny Isidora, who came in replacement of Sirles at LG, seemed to start well, getting to the second-level on a block that led to a big run by Murray, didn’t finish as well, missing some assignments and finishing with a 39.4 grade overall. In Isadora’s defense, it was his first start, and at left guard as well, not right guard where he has spent nearly all his time in practice. Rashod Hill also saw 19 snaps of action for the injured Riley Reiff (believed not serious), and turned in a 49.1 grade overall.

Perhaps the notion that it’s more important that the offensive line function well as a unit, rather than focus on individual performances, holds true here. Keenum’s mobility has also helped, as has his feel for the pocket and ability to get the ball out quickly most of the time. But the Vikings have also averaged 4.3 yards/carry rushing the ball this season, tied for 10th in the league, while only allowing 9 sacks on the season (4th best) - both of which shows how well the offensive line has been performing overall so far, despite some weak individual performances along the interior line.

What are the chsnces Keenum gets Diggs and Floyd back this week? We obviously care more about Diggs
Too soon to know yet.

Zimmer said they will work out today and do some film review of the game yesterday. Then a day off tomorrow before they fly to London for the game against the Browns this coming Sunday.

Seems unlikely there will be any news as they aren't practicing until Thursday.

With the bye week 9 any of these players with injuries might just be shut down until after the bye.

Bradford and Teddy also in the mix perhaps following the bye which would change things.

The play where he scores is at the 1:48 mark of these clips.

The Vikings have a tight bunch on the left side of their formation with a WR offscreen to the right. Murray is in the dot.

Suggs attacks hard to the inside and Ridolph is able to ride him out of the hole before Murray arrives to it. This is the key block and Rudolph does a good job here but Suggs pursuit works against him here. Adam Theilen blocks Weddle and Wright blocks his man preventing them from filling the hole and creating the crease for Murray to run through. 98 gets the double team block from Reif and Isidora at the point of attack. Reif only helps Isadora briefly before getting on the middle linebacker CJ Mosley. Reif gets a very effective block on Mosley and while Isidora doesn't block 98 for long, it is enough that he is too slow in pursuit to get to Murray before he breaks through the line.

The corner 22 JImmy Smith who is unblocked takes a bad angle to the ball, he could have filled, but he stays to the outside for contain outside of Jarius Wright and the two receivers blocking their guys on the left side screen him off from being able to attack the hole.He takes a bad angle and is too close to the line but on the outside when Murray comes through, putting him in a bad spot chasing Murray from behind on the play.

Murray cuts the play to the left when Smith is behind him, Murray is running full speed by this point after being able to hit this run straight from the dot. The other safety Tony Jefferson reacts to this move to the outside and over pursues it. then falls down when Murray shifts to run it straight instead of continuing with the outside angle. As he is falling down he tries to reach an arm out but his momentum is going in the opposite direction so get gets no force behind his attempted arm tackle at all with his bodys momentum still going to the left (his right). Jefferson does touch Murrays right knee as he is falling down which causes Murray to stumble as he is running forward, Murray ends up leaping forward into the end zone after this because he is losing his balance from the tap on his knee.

It was the only TD the Vikings scored today, I am happy they scored, and it was a good run, but it really wasn't an exceptional move on Murrays part in my opinion. It was more due to mistakes by the defense and very good blocking by the Vikings.

I think Murrays run at the 38 second mark of the clips is more impressive than this. Murray changes direction after pressing the left side, this play is really well blocked as well with Berger and Isidora getting blocks on the LBers at the second level early on in the play (about the time when Murray stops then cuts the run back to the right). He gets some luck that a Ravens defender blocks 90 on the backside of the play (90 was making sure Keenum didn't keep the ball before pursuing back to Murray) but Murray reads the opening and is able to get to it on the right side. Murray then weaves behind the blocks of Treadwell and Wright, stuff arms Jefferson in the face knocking him down to the ground, then gets behind Theilen who is blocking downfield on rookie cornerback Humphrey for extra yards. This play Murray demonstrates more skill on his part than the TD, which was more just Murray hitting the hole full speed, cutting to the left then running straight forward after Jefferson over pursues and takes himself out of the play.

Ok, juking an NFL safety and scoring a touchdown is nothing special.  Got it.

Teddy Bridgewater's return? Week 10 at the earliest

Patience with injuries could soon pay off for the Minnesota Vikings.

Teddy Bridgewater (knee) could return as early as Week 10, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on GameDay Morning Sunday. The former first-round pick, who lost his entire third season due to a gruesome injury in 2016, was cleared by doctors and returned to Vikings practice this past week.
@ Redskins or Week 11 @home vs. the Rams???   hmmmmmmmm :popcorn:

Ok, juking an NFL safety and scoring a touchdown is nothing special.  Got it.
I guess it depends on what you mean by special?

Could Matt Asiata have done what Murray did? Probably not.

Could a lot of other NFL RBs do what Murray did? Probably as long as they have enough speed.

I wouldn't describe his move as juke as defined as a zig zag motion. He does a step over change or direction with his left foot to go vertical instead of continuing his diagonal path of motion.

The safety Tony Jefferson is not particularly good. I think a lot of safeties would be able to make that tackle and not fall down on the play.

It was the only TD the Vikings scored today, I am happy they scored, and it was a good run, but it really wasn't an exceptional move on Murrays part in my opinion. It was more due to mistakes by the defense and very good blocking by the Vikings.
Thank you for the writeup(s).

Just a thought - I'm not sure if it matters to me that that run at the the end of the link wasn't a work of art. I'll take the good blocking. And Murray did indeed hit that hole like he needed to.

I think Murray is a start or not issue for most people, is that fair? The Vikes worked hard to create a system and a line for Cook and it's still there though maybe McKinnon and Murray take on different aspects of what that system is supposed to do. The hard running takes pressure off Keenum, and maybe eventially Bridgewater, so maybe this is a good but not great back in a solid role who maybe also is getting a little healthier. Maybe this is a positive spin.

I think Murrays run at the 38 second mark of the clips is more impressive than this. Murray changes direction after pressing the left side, this play is really well blocked as well with Berger and Isidora getting blocks on the LBers at the second level early on in the play (about the time when Murray stops then cuts the run back to the right).
This is a good run and again the blocking has a lot to do with it, they basically sealed off the d-line. And Murray had the vision to, again, jump the through that hole.

Anyway it doesn't have to all be about Murray. I didn't follow the Vikes' line remake this off-season but I keep hearing about it so it must be something. They looked good in those clips IMO.

Thank you for the writeup(s).

Just a thought - I'm not sure if it matters to me that that run at the the end of the link wasn't a work of art. I'll take the good blocking. And Murray did indeed hit that hole like he needed to.
I agree it doesn't matter, he scored. Just trying to be accurate with what I see and what actually happened on the play.

I think Murray is a start or not issue for most people, is that fair?
Yeah that is the thing people are going to be asking about Murray and McKinnon for the rest of the season. Both are getting the ball enough to be viable but questionable options. Based on Zimmers comments I don't expect this to really change either. Perhaps with Bradford or Teddy back they won't try to run the ball as much as they have (both RB have been getting about 15 or more opportunities a game the last 3 weeks). In games where the Vikings are behind in the score (hopefully not many because of the defense) they may be forced to abandon the run though. McKinnon has done more as a receiver than Murray so far and I think that is likely to continue, but Murray will be in there at times as well. Both of them can block and catch. From what I have seen in previous games McKinnon was blocking better than Murray, but Murray has a good reputation in that area from his time with the Raiders. So in situations where the Vikings are forced to pass more, it is still somewhat up in the air as far as which RB would be better to have.

I think McKinnon is a start I would feel more comfortable with than Murray, but as we see from this game, Murray will have his days too. My perspective about that has changed. Murray really hadn't shown anything good prior to this game.

The Vikes worked hard to create a system and a line for Cook and it's still there though maybe McKinnon and Murray take on different aspects of what that system is supposed to do. The hard running takes pressure off Keenum, and maybe eventially Bridgewater, so maybe this is a good but not great back in a solid role who maybe also is getting a little healthier. Maybe this is a positive spin.
This is an important point that goes into me thinking McKinnon is the better option if you have to choose between the two. I think he fits the outside zone blocking system that the Vikings have installed for Cook better than Murray does. That said from what I have seen I think Murray has better vision to consistently identify holes and cut back lanes than McKinnon does, and that is important.

This is a good run and again the blocking has a lot to do with it, they basically sealed off the d-line. And Murray had the vision to, again, jump the through that hole.
The run we are talking about I think Murray goes off script of how the play was designed. I mean that in a good way. I am not sure if McKinnon would have saw that opportunity or not.

Anyway it doesn't have to all be about Murray. I didn't follow the Vikes' line remake this off-season but I keep hearing about it so it must be something. They looked good in those clips IMO.
The offensive line is doing a very good job. It is like night and day compared to how bad they were last season. Riley Reiff is a very important part of that. So while they say his injury is minor, I do think that would be a major concern if Reiff were to miss games. Hill has shown to be okay but Reiff has been playing very well. There was a stat (may have posted earlier in the thread I posted a few of them) where Reiff has been performing at a similar level as Joe Thomas over the first six games. Hard for anyone to do any better than that. 

Remmers has played well also, but not at the same level as Reiff has. Still a vast improvement compared to last season.

The rookie Elflien has played good as well. RG Berger has been beaten but overall he has been solid and has been the best lineman for the Vikings the last couple seasons as well.

The weak spot has been more the left guard, but Sirles hasn't played that much worse than the starter Easton (who may be healthy enough to start again) Isidora was forced to play there due to injury to Sirles and I think he may have actually been better than SIrles was, which is a really good sign considering he is a rookie and a pretty late draft pick. That is going to be huge for the Vikings moving forward if Isidora can continue playing well, as Berger is expected to retire after this season opening a spot for Isidora perhaps when he does.

Isidora fits the outside zone blocking system perhaps better than Sirles does.

Easton , Sirles and Isidora are the reasons why the Vikings let go Boone after the preseason. So far that looks like the right move. They have all played well enough that Boone is not missed.

Reiff misses Wednesday’s practice, Diggs and Keenum limited

Zimmer has indicated that Reiffs injury isn't serious. Hopefully he can play. If not the Vikings will need to rely on Rashod Hill who Zimmer did talk about benefiting from additional practice with the first teams, which should help him to not be rusty.

Hill (or anyone) obviously not playing as well as Reiff has been. 

Sirles also didn't practice, which matters because he is another back up a tackle if Reiff is not able to play and something happened to Hill or Remmers, Sirles may not be available. So I am not sure who would play at tackle in such a situation.

One thing from Zimmers press conference that stood out to me, is when he was asked about if Teddy would be available to play after the bye week, is that while he says it is up to the doctors as far as if Teddy can play, he mentions that he does have an idea about what will happen with the 3 QBs following the bye. Of course he doesn't share that information, but him saying this definitively has me thinking he will start Teddy when if he becomes available.

He is seeing Teddy practice. I am not sure what else this could have meant other than he will start Teddy if he can. Perhaps Teddy is practicing well? I don't know what else he could mean by that statement.

All 3 QBs are traveling with the team to London.

Seemed to be sleep walking through most of the first 3 quarters.. But woke up and won as they should..

If at the beginning of the season someone had told you The Vikings would be starting their 3rd string QB for most of the first half of the season, lose their Starting RB and be 6-2 at the half way mark we'd have asked you to share whatever it was you were smoking.. But here they are.. 6-2 and leaders of the North going into the bye.  :thumbup:

It was a very rough start to the game and the defense did not play as well as I think they have for most of the season, which was frustrating. I have higher expectations of the defense than how they played for most of this game. But they pulled off the win anyways, so I'm happy.

Hopefully Mike Remmers is ok. He got knocked out of the game pretty early. The bye week should help there. The offensive line as a whole, including the depth has been vastly improved though and that is very encouraging.

I don't want to bag on Keenum as he has won five of these six games, which is GREAT!! It a lot better than I would expect with him at the helm. The Vikings can win with him, but the Vikings would be a much better team with improved QB play and I think they need Teddy back fully healthy to really push this team forward and be able to contend in the post season.

Let's just assume Keenum and Bridgewater are active. What do you guys see happening with Bradford and Sloter?

I'm not counting on Bradford until he proves otherwise. I'm worried more about losing Sloter. Keep 3 QBs on the active 53? Delusional?

Let's just assume Keenum and Bridgewater are active. What do you guys see happening with Bradford and Sloter?

I'm not counting on Bradford until he proves otherwise. I'm worried more about losing Sloter. Keep 3 QBs on the active 53? Delusional?
Not at all I can see them having 3 QB active until they have made up their mind about Bridgewater.

The Vikings have been carrying extra WR active in recent games but not using them. Not even using them as kick returners. Its a waste of the active spots that can be shifted towards a 3rd QB being active instead.

I do think Zimmer wants to start Teddy. So if he ends up doing that, then Keenum becomes the back up and either Bradford or Sloter in reserve but inactive.

I don't think they have any intent for Sloter to play this year. So if they need the roster spot he might get cut and added to the practice squad while they keep Teddy Bradford Keenum on the roster. Just having one of them be inactive.

If Teddy isn't ready then they will put him on IR and move forward with the other 3 QB.

I think Zimmer wants Teddy to be the starter. No idea when/if Bradford might be able to practice or play again.

We should have some answers pretty soon (the next 2 weeks) in regards to Teddy. No idea about Bradford though.

Mike Zimmer, Rick Spielman talk about Teddy Bridgewater

Exactly one week from today, the Minnesota Vikings will have to make their final decision on the 2017 status of quarterback Teddy Bridgewater. The team has three weeks from the date they allowed Bridgewater to begin practicing with the team to decide whether or not to place him on the active roster, and that deadline will hit at 3:00 PM Central time next Wednesday, 8 November.

Spielman on QB Situation, Lessons Learned From Last Year

5 takeaways from Rick Spielman’s midseason media session

Based on what I have seen of Teddy (which isn't much) I haven't seen examples of him demonstrating mobility he is going to need to start. Maybe the Vikings are seeing something different than this, but if they are I wonder why they haven't put out some video showing that?

From Colliers article above:

Spielman said:

“When he’s out there practicing, he’s out there dropping back, you see him out there throw a pass on the move or you see him scramble…we’re not having  live scrimmages out there. That’s the thing we probably can’t replicate.”

“I think we’re all looking at his mobility, his mechanics throwing the ball, everything is just like a normal evaluation be,” Spielman said.
So no live scrimmages is not showing them how Teddy is reacting to pressure or movement in the pocket. I wish I felt more optimistic about Teddy's return but I haven't seen reason to be and what Rick and Zimmer have said doesn't give me the sense that they are confident. The only thing that Zimmer said that had me leaning towards Teddy possibly being ready was him saying that he knows what he wants to do, but he is telling the media. That suggested to me that he wants Teddy to start. Wanting that and Teddy actually being able to do that are not the same things though.

I’ve said it before - and could very well be wrong- but i’d be shocked if Bridgewater played this season.

CanadianNFLJunkie said:
I would have to think that Teddy will only be activated if Bradford has to shut it down. A VERY tough decision for Rick and his team
I could see them putting him in somewhere between now and the end of the season in a non emergency situation. He's a Free Agent after this year and I would think the Vikings need to see him in some kind of game situation in order to make a judgement on his contract status. Several people (in here too) have noted that the team is pretty high on him and want to resign him. But i think an "I'm all better audition" would be merited. Especially considering Bradford and Keenum are FA's also. I'm guessing they'll be keeping one (hopefully two) and if TB is their preferred option, they need to see him on the field even if it's for a test drive.

As the Vikings are on bye this week there really hasn't been too much news or information about the team to discuss recently.

Everson Griffen did win defensive player of the month for October. Yes he has been playing very well but he has been playing well for a pretty long time now. It isn't really news worthy in my opinion although nice for him to get recognized for his play nationally.

Zimmer said they are looking at some things they want to try to fix over the bye week. I think this is likely mostly related to the QB play. The offensive line has played great. Better than anyone could have expected really considering how bad they were last year. The offensive line as a whole has been better than just an average one, they have played like a top 10 line over the first 8 games as far as pass protection and opening up room in the running game. Hopefully that high level of play continues.

The defense has also been very good. The main improvement there has been how well they are playing against the run. This seems a bit like addition by subtraction than anything else. Greenway was a weakness in the defense that doesn't exist anymore. Anthony Barr has been playing well after a kind of off year last season. Nothing else has really changed much besides these two things as factors in why the run defense has improved. The Vikings still playing well against the pass as they have the last couple years. Alexander has played more and played well enough that the loss of Munnerlyn hasn't been a problem. Anthony Harris not as good as Sendejo against the run against the Browns, but was decent in coverage when he was out with suspension.

Its remarkable how well Diggs and Theilen have been compared to other WR around the league, and Case Keenum deserves credit for that even though Keenum does have some flaws. Part of the credit for that goes to the offensive line being so good in protection, but Keenums mobility helps as well I think.

I came across this video of Jon Gruden talking to Keenum as a rookie prospect that I hadn't seen before. I am starting to get used to the idea of him as the Vikings starter although I do wish the Vikings could do better than him, he has helped the Vikings win 5 games. The status of Bradford and Teddy still very much in the air. Keenum has played so well that I think we have to wonder if Bradford or Teddy would actually be an upgrade from him or not, which seems weird to say, but there it is. Hard to argue with the results of Keenum as the starter for most of the year so far. He has only been sacked 5 times and only thrown 3 interceptions, at least one of those interceptions wasn't his fault but Treadwells in my opinion.

A couple of updates regarding the QB situation in MN:

Per Schefty (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/927945233828057089)

Vikings will activate Teddy Bridgewater this week and also discussing probability that Sam Bradford will be placed on IR, per @mortreport.
Per Mort (https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/927945720426090497 & https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/927946118830358528)

Bradford not in building. Sources say he is visiting Dr. Andrews again, which means exploratory arthroscopic procedure is possible.
Case Keenum remains the starter this week but team does believe Bridgewater will be ready to start relatively soon, if necessary.

Looks like Bradford had knee surgery so that settles the decision on qbs for now.

ETA: so turns out surgery minor so nothing decided yet...

Looks like Bradford had knee surgery so that settles the decision on qbs for now.

ETA: so turns out surgery minor so nothing decided yet...
Exploratory surgery to identify whats wrong and why Bradford still was having pain in his knee.

Really just as well. It's disappointing that Bradford came out blazing week 1 and has been forced to the sideline since, but how he looked in Week 5 was disturbing. I was pessimistic initially with the move to Keenum, but he's definitely been good enough. Seems to have the agility to roam behind a still developing OL. He's a bit inconsistent for my tastes in either being surgically on or way off in terms of accuracy on a game-to-game basis, but I think he's the best option the Vikes have. JMHO, I'd prefer letting Teddy ride out the season as an emergency option.

Just posted a link to this article by Arif Hasan in regards to this in the Teddy Bridgewater thread where he makes an argument for why Teddy should be physically ready to start and why he would be an upgrade over Keenum.

It has been over 400 days since Teddy was injured and other QBs with ACL knee injuries were coming back after 300 days to play well. I think Teddys injury was more severe than just an ACL injury, so I still have a wait and see approach to this. If Teddy is healthy enough to play though I do think he would be an upgrade over Keenum. Teddy is much more consistently accurate, with better ball placement than Keenum has.

Teddy hasn't played for a long time as well. There may be some rust there because of that. The only way to move past that rust is by playing him. As Shurmur said in article I linked above, they don't really have live scrimmages in practice to test how a QB is going to react to live defensive pressure they will face in the games.

I just have to see Teddy play again before drawing any conclusions about his readiness to play. As we saw with Bradford against the Bears, they thought he was ready to play in that game and he clearly wasn't.

Only time will tell. That would be great if Teddy is fully recovered. He is a younger player and was at the time of the injury. Younger players can recover from these injuries more often than older players can. So he does have that working in his favor.

If Teddy is fully healthy I do think he is a better QB than Keenum is. How much better we really don't know. Teddy was still developing when he was injured and hadn't taken the next step yet. Its still just a lot of potential as far as how good Teddy can be.

Seems to me that no matter what, we can expect to see Teddy playing.. Be it a half, garbage time, or taking over for Keenum when he has a bad game. is the question

But with Bradford not under contract for next year and showing his true colors again of not staying healthy and Teddy not being under contract for next year, they have to decide if Teddy is indeed the future, or look to draft and sign someone else in the off season.

Can't imagine signing him to a new contract and not knowing if his recovery is "Game Time" ready. :shrug:

Zimmer on Bradford's Knee, Plan for Teddy, Redskins

Zimmer mentions that maybe they can get Bradford back when he gets healthy. Bradford is an option to activate from IR later this season if he gets healthy. He describes the surgery as a clean out. Not major.

He  says Keenum will start against Washington.

He says Teddy has looking excellent in practice. Moving around well, throwing the ball well. They just need to get him up to speed. He missed training camp. He says Bridgewater is moving fine. He doesn't know if everything is the same as before the injury, but he is moving around well. Throwing the ball well. He maybe had one day where he thought Teddy looked rusty.

Teddy will dress for the game against Washington. Sloter will be active too. He has 100% confidence in Teddy being able to play if he needs to. When asked if they might have Teddy play at the end of the game, he jokes this sounds like a Tomasson question. Everything is possible. They will just play it by ear.

He talks about Washington doing a good job of rushing against Seattle. He says they are a pretty mistake free team as far as penalties and force other teams into penalties.

As far as next year ZImmer said he has a great relationship with Sam, but he doesn't know at this time the status of his health and what will happen in free agency. He is focused on this year.

He says Bradford has spent a lot of his own money trying to get back healthy. That Braford really wants to play, he just wasn't able to get healthy.

Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen misses practice with foot injury

Also not practicing were tackle Mike Remmers, who suffered a concussion on the first series against the Browns, offensive lineman Jeremiah Sirles and defensive end Stephen Weatherly. Sirles and Weatherly both sat out against Cleveland because of knee injuries.

Listed as limited in the workout were safety Anthony Harris (hamstring) and guard Danny Isidora (ankle).
It's a bit troubling that Remmers is still out after having a week to recover already.

Users who are viewing this thread