Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Heatman

*** Minnesota Vikings: OFFICIAL

The Vikings need to win on Monday. I am not even really thinking about things past that.

Winning on the road will be difficult no matter the opponent.

1 hour ago, Biabreakable said:

The Vikings need to win on Monday. I am not even really thinking about things past that.

Winning on the road will be difficult no matter the opponent.

Sure but do you want to go to Dallas or New Orleans?

10 minutes ago, mr roboto said:

Sure but do you want to go to Dallas or New Orleans?

Thats pretty obvious that it would be easier to beat the Cowboys than the Saints.

The Cowboys had themselves a game against the Rams though so who knows.

I love how the Vikings defense played recently. Hopefully they can keep playing well. I think that is needed for the Vikings to go anywhere in the playoffs.

It would be great if they are getting hot at the right time. They did play very well. I'm pretty sure the Chargers offensive line is not very good though.

5 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Thats pretty obvious that it would be easier to beat the Cowboys than the Saints.

The Cowboys had themselves a game against the Rams though so who knows.

I love how the Vikings defense played recently. Hopefully they can keep playing well. I think that is needed for the Vikings to go anywhere in the playoffs.

It would be great if they are getting hot at the right time. They did play very well. I'm pretty sure the Chargers offensive line is not very good though.

Chargers beat themselves. But we handily put away 2 teams we were supposed to. Vikes teams in the past would play down to competition. 

They can beat anyone. Even SEA, SF and NO. I hope they play up to their best in the playoffs. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mr roboto said:

Chargers beat themselves. But we handily put away 2 teams we were supposed to. Vikes teams in the past would play down to competition. 
They can beat anyone. Even SEA, SF and NO. I hope they play up to their best in the playoffs. 

Maybe, with a few turnovers and some other luck.. But Right now, the way our defense gives up passing yardage like it's candy....  NO and SF = :eek:  

Rodgers isn't Rodgers of old so hopefully the defense goes after him.. No more of this .. 3rd and 7 rush 3 crap.. bring the heat!

8 hours ago, snogger said:

Maybe, with a few turnovers and some other luck.. But Right now, the way our defense gives up passing yardage like it's candy....  NO and SF = :eek:  

Rodgers isn't Rodgers of old so hopefully the defense goes after him.. No more of this .. 3rd and 7 rush 3 crap.. bring the heat!

I think NO is the much worse matchup for the Vikes.  Their passing game is too good when matchup up to our DB's.  We will get torched.  SF on the other hand struggles passing at times so I would rather play against them.  Regardless finishing 5th and playing the Cowgirls is the best choice. 

Well, we're officially in.  Do we focus on getting everyone fully healthy for the playoffs or do we go all out in the hope of grabbing a first round bye?

4 hours ago, encaitar said:

Well, we're officially in.  Do we focus on getting everyone fully healthy for the playoffs or do we go all out in the hope of grabbing a first round bye?

Good question. Especially for Thielen owners. He's supposed to play but how much? 

On 12/17/2019 at 5:28 AM, snogger said:

SF wouldn't scare me much unless they get some rest and get healthy. Saints look dominant. 

10 hours ago, encaitar said:

I think in a weird way we can do both. I wouldn't shut it down, but I also wouldn't play Cook or Mattinson either. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, encaitar said:

I think we have to beat the Packers otherwise the narrative will be ‘backing into’ the playoffs. 

But, if Cook/Mattison/Thielen need to heal sit them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, -OZ- said:

Good question. Especially for Thielen owners. He's supposed to play but how much? 

Theilen should be a full time participant this week.

Stefanski needs to go after that pathetic, crapfest of a game plan.. Top 2 RB's out, but we are going to run, run and run some more no matter the outcome... Oh, and our OL can't block 3 rushers, and our QB has proven that he can succeed on roll out's, but pocket passes is a winning formula.. :rant:

Edited by snogger
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, snogger said:

Stefanski needs to go after that pathetic, crapfest of a game plan.. Top 2 RB's out, but we are going to run, run and run some more no matter the outcome... Oh, and our OL can't block 3 rushers, and our QB has proven that he can succeed on roll out's, but pocket passes is a winning formula.. :rant:

The Packers lost to the chargers and were humiliated by the 49ers.  The 49ers, they laid a turd against Atlanta.  The Seahawks, well their offense has been MIA for weeks.  Sometimes you just chalk a game up and move on from it.  The Vikes are in.  They are better than  the NFC representative and a couple of AFC ones.  They have Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph and can have Cook back and at more or less full strength.  They have a tough road, but they are in.  If I were a Vikes fan I would want to reintroduce Stafanski to Rudolph. 

Shake it off, have a Merry Christmas, and see you again on Sunday.

45 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

The Packers lost to the chargers and were humiliated by the 49ers.  The 49ers, they laid a turd against Atlanta.  The Seahawks, well their offense has been MIA for weeks.  Sometimes you just chalk a game up and move on from it.  The Vikes are in.  They are better than  the NFC representative and a couple of AFC ones.  They have Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph and can have Cook back and at more or less full strength.  They have a tough road, but they are in.  If I were a Vikes fan I would want to reintroduce Stafanski to Rudolph. 

Shake it off, have a Merry Christmas, and see you again on Sunday.

:hifive: .. only issue is... I consider the Saints the class of the NFC and, barring some huge upsets, the Vikes will be heading there on opening weekend.. Although the defense played well enough to win last night, I just don't see them shutting down Brees and company.. Not to mention the Saints D, other then the shoot out with the 49ers, has been pretty good as well. 

Heck who knows, maybe things shake out that the Vikings can get their revenge in the NFC Championship game in Green Bay . ;)

Merry Christmas to you also.

Edited by snogger

Hopefully Kendricks and Barr are ok...the good news (have to take something positive out of that mess from last night) is that they get a "bye" this coming week and can rest everyone if they want. As much as I was hoping to win the division, the Pack losing at Detroit probably isn't going to happen anyway so use this week to get healthy for the playoff run. 

11 minutes ago, FunkyPlutos said:

Hopefully Kendricks and Barr are ok...the good news (have to take something positive out of that mess from last night) is that they get a "bye" this coming week and can rest everyone if they want. As much as I was hoping to win the division, the Pack losing at Detroit probably isn't going to happen anyway so use this week to get healthy for the playoff run. 

:yes: I expect Theilen, Cooks, Mattison, resting.. Kirk and Diggs  may play a series or two and should let 2nd and 3rd string defense players play to get some experience.. it's basically a pre-season game.

Edited by snogger

7 hours ago, snogger said:

:yes: I expect Theilen, Cooks, Mattison, resting.. Kirk and Diggs  may play a series or two and should let 2nd and 3rd string defense players play to get some experience.. it's basically a pre-season game.

I disagree about resting to some degree.  Last night was an overall pathetic offensive showing.  They need to work on some things and gain some confidence.  Taking the game off will not be good.  They actually need to get Thielen back in the gameplan.  He needs work.  

I rest Cook, Mattison, and Kendricks.  Everyone else needs to get ready for the playoffs.

• Like 1

The Cooks/Mattison thing is being overplayed, IMHO. They need to roll with a 3rd stringer, just like a lot of teams do without going completely off the rails. Got to say, it's a little unsettling that Kubiak's game plan netted 140 yards. It seemed like they schemed a pocket pass game, but this OL can't be relied upon for that. They'd better figure that out quick to face Mack. Hopefully the Bears don't see a reason to play Akiem Hicks in a meaningless week 17 game. The Vikings should consider going with the Aviante Collins jumbo package like they've successfully done. Seattle used it as a base against our DLine and it was pretty successful.  

Merry Christmas guys.

I have slept on it and so what I am about to say is not just a knee juerk reaction.

The Vikings offense did not seem to have learned anything from when they last played the Packers and they still could not move the ball on them after playing pretty well on offense since the last time they played the Bears and the Packers.

Now I do think the Packers and Bears deserve credit. They have very good defenses, but there is something more to it than just that. Denver has a good defense but the offense found a way to put points on the board and beat them. There is something specific about these division opponents who know the Vikings offense too well it seems for it to be effective.

I think thats inexcusable. All game long they can't do anything well and I don't think it is the scheme or the play calling.

I think it is Cousins. 

I noticed watching pre game (which I don't usually see) that Kirk Cousins was wound up as tight as a wet rag around a leaky pipe. He looked nervous. He was sweating for no reason. Clearly worked up and under stress. THe only player I saw who looked more scared and shook than Cousins was Xavier Rhodes who was sweating bullets and almost crying even before the game started.

If I can see that from my very distant perspective I can only imagine what the other players are feeling about that. Its not good.

I want the Vikings to trade away Cousins in the off season. I have seen enough. 

Bring back Teddy.

I don't agree.  Cousins didn't even have time for a 3 step drop most of the game.  He didn't play well, to be sure, but to blame that game on him is wrong IMO.  Peak Tom Brady or Peyton Manning would've looked like #### with that gameplan and blocking.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

Merry Christmas guys.

I have slept on it and so what I am about to say is not just a knee juerk reaction.

The Vikings offense did not seem to have learned anything from when they last played the Packers and they still could not move the ball on them after playing pretty well on offense since the last time they played the Bears and the Packers.

Now I do think the Packers and Bears deserve credit. They have very good defenses, but there is something more to it than just that. Denver has a good defense but the offense found a way to put points on the board and beat them. There is something specific about these division opponents who know the Vikings offense too well it seems for it to be effective.

I think thats inexcusable. All game long they can't do anything well and I don't think it is the scheme or the play calling.

I think it is Cousins. 

I noticed watching pre game (which I don't usually see) that Kirk Cousins was wound up as tight as a wet rag around a leaky pipe. He looked nervous. He was sweating for no reason. Clearly worked up and under stress. THe only player I saw who looked more scared and shook than Cousins was Xavier Rhodes who was sweating bullets and almost crying even before the game started.

If I can see that from my very distant perspective I can only imagine what the other players are feeling about that. Its not good.

Bring back Teddy.

Too much egg nog. (Meant in light hearted way... happy holidays)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

Merry Christmas guys.

I think it is Cousins. 

Bring back Teddy.

No way Cousins shoulders all the blame.. The OL might as well not even been out there for how poorly they played... This was obvious to all but the coaching which continued to call runs up the middle and pocket passes... Cousins has proven all year that he is very good at called roll out pass plays, yet the idiot calling plays decided that it was better to stand there and take a beating....

On a side note, I always felt it was a mistake to let Teddy go and sign Cousins.. Thought they should have kept Teddy as the starter and either keep Case, or bring in a journey QB to back him up.... 

My Gut feeling is Teddy is starting for McCarthy in Carolina next season. :kicksrock:

6 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

Merry Christmas guys.

I think it is Cousins. 

Bring back Teddy.

Cousins... meh maybe. Not saying hes great but this game was not all on him. 

The defense can't stop anyone right now. Teams drive down the field at will. If they don't get a big play, a fumble recovery,  interception,  sack etc. They give up points. Zimmer hand picked these guys and the free agants got paid to keep the defense intact. Yet there has been an obvious an inexplicable regression.

The offensive play calling is horrible against good teams. Monday it was run up the middle, run up the middle, pass deep. Little to no short passing game to keep the defense honest, even with Thielen back in the game. 

I am becoming more convinced every time we play a decent team that Zimmer gets way to conservative and afraid to lose big games. They come out flat and play not to lose. In reality they play not to win by allowing teams to stay in the game even if they get a lead. 

I hate to say it but they are going nowhere in the playoffs unless Zimmer learns to coach to win the game. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Cousins... meh maybe. Not saying hes great but this game was not all on him. 

The defense can't stop anyone right now. Teams drive down the field at will. If they don't get a big play, a fumble recovery,  interception,  sack etc. They give up points. Zimmer hand picked these guys and the free agants got paid to keep the defense intact. Yet there has been an obvious an inexplicable regression.

The offensive play calling is horrible against good teams. Monday it was run up the middle, run up the middle, pass deep. Little to no short passing game to keep the defense honest, even with Thielen back in the game. 

I am becoming more convinced every time we play a decent team that Zimmer gets way to conservative and afraid to lose big games. They come out flat and play not to lose. In reality they play not to win by allowing teams to stay in the game even if they get a lead. 

I hate to say it but they are going nowhere in the playoffs unless Zimmer learns to coach to win the game. 

good post.  their defense played their buts off.  offense was offensive.   I agree that Zimmer is afraid to open it up.  In today's NFL most teams have to establish the pass to establish the run.  IMHO

Bears.. Might want to look for a new coach and QB..  They played their "best players" vs. 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers and barely won. 

Was nice to see the backups play as well as they did.. heck, I think the "Backup" tackles played better than the starters have been playing.

Now onto the saints :eek:    Not sure the Vikings Defense can keep that offense in check.. 

• Like 1

This Bears' game told me that the Vikings need to draft a QB!! 

I really like Kirk, but Mannion is terrible. They need to find someone capable of playing decent if the starter goes out.

Cousins is only under contract next season so they definitely need to go into the draft looking for someone. Hopefully Herbert has had his draft stock dip enough to make to the second half of round one!

4 hours ago, FunkyPlutos said:

I really like Kirk, but Mannion is terrible. They need to find someone capable of playing decent if the starter goes out.

Cousins is only under contract next season so they definitely need to go into the draft looking for someone. Hopefully Herbert has had his draft stock dip enough to make to the second half of round one!

Or, you know, they could just go grab Teddy  and tell Kirk "Open tryout!!" ;) 

7 hours ago, FunkyPlutos said:

If the Vikes prioritize back-up QB over fixing the OL for the guy who, you know, is actually needing to be kept healthy, I'll be displeased.

16 hours ago, BigJim® said:

If the Vikes prioritize back-up QB over fixing the OL for the guy who, you know, is actually needing to be kept healthy, I'll be displeased.

I agree! But also can't ignore something that needs to be addressed...

54 minutes ago, FunkyPlutos said:

I agree! But also can't ignore something that needs to be addressed...

I agree they should find a better vet than Mannion. I wasn't sure how he became a #2 to begin with. Not in the 2020 draft though. The draft has to be about finding contributors to improve game day talent, and OL is top of the shopping list if they want to win trenches against Green Bay/Chicago in 2020.   

44 minutes ago, BigJim® said:

I agree they should find a better vet than Mannion. I wasn't sure how he became a #2 to begin with. Not in the 2020 draft though. The draft has to be about finding contributors to improve game day talent, and OL is top of the shopping list if they want to win trenches against Green Bay/Chicago in 2020.   

Who was the kid the sliced his leg open breaking into his own house. I thought they were pretty high on him. Lots of experienced choices on the market: Keenum(!?), Mariota, Eli, Bortles, Dalton, Foles, Carr, Flacco.

5 minutes ago, simsarge said:

Who was the kid the sliced his leg open breaking into his own house. I thought they were pretty high on him. Lots of experienced choices on the market: Keenum(!?), Mariota, Eli, Bortles, Dalton, Foles, Carr, Flacco.

Chad Kelly? They can do better than a 7th round headcase. Anyone on your list would be fine but I don't see Eli becoming a journeyman backup at this point... he'll retire.

Short of a shocking run in the playoffs, more than likely Zimmer and Kirk won't get extensions in the off season..

Meaning there is a chance the Vikings will be looking for a new QB and head coach for '21....

Then of course there is the talk about the possibility of Dallas trading for Zimmer this off season... :oldunsure: 

Edited by snogger

12 hours ago, simsarge said:

Taylor Heinicke.

He was not in the NFL last season.

Of the players you mention I think they all may have a higher price than I would want the Vikings to invest in the position at this time (for a back up). If the starter were going to be a rookie or something then maybe you could fit a player like this into your budget.

I wouldn't mind having Keenum back if it were not too expensive. He can win some games. He isn't a starter or long term solution though.

I don't see how the Vikings can afford this with Kirk Cousins eating up a large chunk of the salary cap pie right now.

I would rather have Teddy than any of those guys.

The Vikings are going to have to cut some important players as it is because of the cap.

A rookie makes the most sense money wise for the Vikings right now. The hit rate on QB drafted later than the 1st round isn't good, so hard to expect much from any guy they might take in the 3rd or later rounds of the draft.

4 hours ago, snogger said:

Short of a shocking run in the playoffs, more than likely Zimmer and Kirk won't get extensions in the off season..

Meaning there is a chance the Vikings will be looking for a new QB and head coach for '21....

Then of course there is the talk about the possibility of Dallas trading for Zimmer this off season... :oldunsure: 

Yeah I heard that too. 

Crazy stuff there. It almost makes sense that there may be something going on here.

On 12/31/2019 at 9:56 PM, Biabreakable said:

Yeah I heard that too. 

Crazy stuff there. It almost makes sense that there may be something going on here.

There's too much smoke out there for it not to be true.  Would make sense as to why they're dicking around with Garrett this week if they're planning on making a run at Zimmer next Monday(potentially).  

I'm ok with that.  I think Zimmer has lost a bit of his command in Minnesota.  I also think his authoritarian ways would change things quickly in Dallas.  If they offer a 2nd rounder or better for Zim, then I say let Stefanski take the reigns and see what the kid can do.(Even more on board with this if Kubiak is willing to stick around as an advisor)

2 hours ago, encaitar said:

There's too much smoke out there for it not to be true.  Would make sense as to why they're dicking around with Garrett this week if they're planning on making a run at Zimmer next Monday(potentially).  

I'm ok with that.  I think Zimmer has lost a bit of his command in Minnesota.  I also think his authoritarian ways would change things quickly in Dallas.  If they offer a 2nd rounder or better for Zim, then I say let Stefanski take the reigns and see what the kid can do.(Even more on board with this if Kubiak is willing to stick around as an advisor)

Based on what?

Posted (edited)

Apparently the NFL has some sort of “hype video” for the playoffs. The Vikings were not included in the video. , I did not see the video for myself.

Also, Cam Jordan went out of his way to take a shot at Kirk Cousins. I guess that sort of stuff is to be expected when you have an arrogant jackass running the team.

Edited by Cjw_55106

I don't think the Vikings have much of a shot against the Saints.  I think it was the worst matchup of the playoff teams.  The Vikes can't stop the pass and Thomas can catch 25 balls for 200 yds if they want him to.  We cannot stop him.

The only chance I see is if the Vikes start out in no huddle and set a pace by throwing to set up the run.  Move the pocket and get Cousins outside and let Thielen and Diggs work across the field while also setting up the screen game.   They will need to start off fast to put NO on their heels. 

On defense the front 4 must put pressure on Brees because we can't hold on the back end.  They must get sacks and force turnovers.  They must keep them in 3rd and long.  If they cannot get pressure with the front 4 it will be a long day.

I see one of two things happening.  The Saints get off to a fast start while the offense goes ultra conservative early while the defense cannot put any pressure on Brees.  If this happens it will be over early and something like 45-17.   The other option is the Vikes come out fast with a creative offensive game plan and put up a TD or two early.  The front 4 gets to Brees and forces a fumble or a couple bad passes that get picked off and then the Vikes hold on down the stretch for a tight win.  Something like 28-24 with the Saints scoring late to bring it into a one score game. 

I don't really see any other outcome. 

1 hour ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Based on what?

Based on we came out and laid an absolute egg in a big home game against the Packers.  They weren't just better than us that day, they outplayed us.  When a team doesn't get up for a huge game like that it tells me the coach's message isn't hitting home anymore.

59 minutes ago, encaitar said:

Based on we came out and laid an absolute egg in a big home game against the Packers.  They weren't just better than us that day, they outplayed us.  When a team doesn't get up for a huge game like that it tells me the coach's message isn't hitting home anymore.

No offense intended but this is nonsense. The Seahawks laid an egg against the Cardinals in a must win game for them. I assume that you think Pete Carroll has lost the Seahawks players as well?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, encaitar said:

I agree there is something going on. Doesn't mean it will amount to anything.

I wouldn't be okay with letting Zimmer go. I don't think he has lost command of the team at all. In fact most of the evidence shows that players love Zimmer and will make sacrifices to stay with him. I was just listening to Sam Bradford on ESPN talk about how Zimmer was his favorite coach to play for. 

Remember the defense before Zimmer? It was terrible!! The defense has been a top 10 group every year with ZImmer including this season. I do not think that gets carried forward if you give the head coaching job to Stefanski or anyone else. 

Remember when the Vikings had to trade 1st round picks to KC for Jared Allen because all of their top picks there were busts? Well Andre Patterson who most certainly would leave with ZImmer (unless the Vikings were to make him the DC??) he has been able to develop later round draft picks such as Griffen, Josh Robison, Danielle Hunter and the next star in the making Ifedi Odenigjbo into top level starters. I don't have a lot of confidence in the new coaching staff being able to replicate that success. It would be hard for ZImmer and Patterson to keep doing this even, they have done so well.

That is the main problem for Vikings fans. The team has been so good for so long the expectations are extremely high. It feels like the Vikings have been failing on defense, yet they were still 5th best in points allowed.

You don't normally get draft picks for coaches, so in that sense its sort of tempting, because its like free money. but the coach being aligned with the front office is probably the most important component for how a team grows and develops over time.

I think the Vikings could do a lot worse as far as leadership than what they have right now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I’m torn on Zimmer. Totally agree with Bia that the players like him and play hard for him. That’s a big thing. OTOH I can’t help feeling like his butt puckers up for the big games and he brings checkers game plans due to his nature to be ultra conservative. With that approach, effort put out by players really doesn’t matter. Also, he’s definitely changed up his defense this year, I don’t care where they rank. It’s not a talent level thing in our secondary... that’s absurd. It’s that elite players cannot do what he is asking them to do. I’ve always liked Zimmer, but I don’t think his game plans give the Vikes any coaching advantage. I’m not real confident that they would take a step forward vs a step backwards with a change though.

Edited by BigJim®
  • Like 2

Mike McCarthy is available.  Would totally get some cross talk going between Vikings and Packers fans.

As for the recent loss to the Packers indicating something global about the franchise, I don't know. Sometimes there are just anomalies.  Sometimes things snowball.  Some losses are best just put in the rearview mirror.

11 hours ago, BigJim® said:

I’m torn on Zimmer. Totally agree with Bia that the players like him and play hard for him. That’s a big thing. OTOH I can’t help feeling like his butt puckers up for the big games and he brings checkers game plans due to his nature to be ultra conservative. With that approach, effort put out by players really doesn’t matter. Also, he’s definitely changed up his defense this year, I don’t care where they rank. It’s not a talent level thing in our secondary... that’s absurd. It’s that elite players cannot do what he is asking them to do. I’ve always liked Zimmer, but I don’t think his game plans give the Vikes any coaching advantage. I’m not real confident that they would take a step forward vs a step backwards with a change though.

I agree that the biggest deficiency is conservative play in the big moments.  That just doesn't get you to the next level when you are playing against teams that live with creative offenses.  You just can't get behind and play as conservative as Zimmer does.  Its why the only chance I think the Vikes have on Sunday vs the Saints is to come out throwing and no huddle.  Move the pocket and throw to set up the run.  Don't just start with two runs and a short pass.  You need to go down the field and take chances.  Open the field up.  If that doesn't happen the defense will get picked apart and this team cannot play from behind. 

Posted (edited)

ETA: Better offseason discussion than playoff week discussion.

Edited by BigJim®

4 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Mike McCarthy is available.  Would totally get some cross talk going between Vikings and Packers fans.

As for the recent loss to the Packers indicating something global about the franchise, I don't know. Sometimes there are just anomalies.  Sometimes things snowball.  Some losses are best just put in the rearview mirror.

You are kidding right?

While I am sure it would amuse Packers fans a ton if the Vikings did this I don't think it would be a good move for the team. It will be interesting to see how he does with a 2nd shot at this role I just dont want it to be with the Vikings.