What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Office Chair Recommendation (1 Viewer)

Jayrok

Footballguy
Greetings,

My home office chair is about shot and I believe it is the prime culprit for my recent back pain.  Is your office chair comfortable and one you'd recommend?

I'd like to stay somewhere around $300 or below.  I thought about the multi-functionality of the Edward VII chair, but figured it was wildly out of my price range.  

Thanks in advance for your input and recommendation. 

I work out of the house and have had a Herman Miller Aeron chair for 15+ years.  It is more than you want to spend but it is a great chair and it has 12 year warranty.
I've read nothing but good things about the Herman Miller chairs, but I may have a hard time convincing the wife it's worth a thousand dollars.  

I work out of the house and have had a Herman Miller Aeron chair for 15+ years.  It is more than you want to spend but it is a great chair and it has 12 year warranty.
I've read nothing but good things about the Herman Miller chairs, but I may have a hard time convincing the wife it's worth a thousand dollars.  
Remind her of that when you're buying your third $300 chair in five years.

ETA: I've never gone out of pocket for home office stuff, & getting approval is 5 step walk across the hall. Slightly different dynamic.

Last edited by a moderator:
We spent a #### ton on a bed, wife had no issue with that because you spend so much time in it. 

I'd make the same case to the wife about the chair, although since she doesn't sit in it, she might push back... But a little guilt should bring you home. I'm in this chair 8 hours a day.

fantasycurse42 said:
We spent a #### ton on a bed, wife had no issue with that because you spend so much time in it. 

I'd make the same case to the wife about the chair, although since she doesn't sit in it, she might push back... But a little guilt should bring you home. I'm in this chair 8 hours a day.
It's a good point.  Incidentally, she wants us to get a new bed pretty soon.  

BobbyLayne said:
Remind her of that when you're buying your third $300 chair in five years.

ETA: I've never gone out of pocket for home office stuff, & getting approval is 5 step walk across the hall. Slightly different dynamic.
Interesting, I hadn't thought much about asking my company to spring for one.  He may just go for it.  Thanks. 

I didn't like the chairs at work, so I bought a Herman Miller Mirra 12 years ago from the outlet store (HM factory is in the same town I work in) for $400.  

Looks like they're about $450 online used.  $500 new at that outlet store.  If I call it 40 hours per week, with vacations let's call that 20,000 hours in this dream chair.  Over that time, the crap chairs at work wore out, so they upgraded them.  The upgraded chairs wore out on everyone, they upgraded again, and those are breaking down now as well.  The twice-upgraded company chairs are pretty decent, maybe 75% as comfortable as the HM chair.  When I bought it, I worried at the price, but man what a great buy.

The fabric on the back where my back belt loop hits is starting to fray.  Otherwise, it's in perfect condition.  Weird - there seem to be versions with fabric across the back like mine and others with no fabric.

Also, I don't know what your home office floor is like, but I really like Rollerblade wheels on the bottom of my home chair.

Last edited by a moderator:
My company has some great exclusive chairs built by Sitmatic.

However, when we have an ergonomic issue...I've had to order specific chairs to fit those needs.

I've found that the Steelcase Leap chair is universally loved by all walks of life who have complained about their previous chairs.

https://www.amazon.com/Steelcase-Leap-Fabric-Chair-Black/dp/B006H1QYBA

You can find it cheaper from different suppliers...I link that link because it was quick and I think it has a video of the chair's features.

I really like the Knoll Generation for its flexibility that allows you to lean back better than any other chair I've ever used.

However, when we have an ergonomic issue...I've had to order specific chairs to fit those needs.

I've found that the Steelcase Leap chair is universally loved by all walks of life who have complained about their previous chairs.

You can find it cheaper from different suppliers...I link that link because it was quick and I think it has a video of the chair's features.
Have a Steelcase Leap Chair at work.  It has been great and that is surprising to me since I've not ever had a good one (until now)

Steelcase chairs are always near the top of ratings too.  It's on my list to sit and try.  

I didn't like the chairs at work, so I bought a Herman Miller Mirra 12 years ago from the outlet store (HM factory is in the same town I work in) for $400.  

Looks like they're about $450 online used.  $500 new at that outlet store.  If I call it 40 hours per week, with vacations let's call that 20,000 hours in this dream chair.  Over that time, the crap chairs at work wore out, so they upgraded them.  The upgraded chairs wore out on everyone, they upgraded again, and those are breaking down now as well.  The twice-upgraded company chairs are pretty decent, maybe 75% as comfortable as the HM chair.  When I bought it, I worried at the price, but man what a great buy.

The fabric on the back where my back belt loop hits is starting to fray.  Otherwise, it's in perfect condition.  Weird - there seem to be versions with fabric across the back like mine and others with no fabric.

Also, I don't know what your home office floor is like, but I really like Rollerblade wheels on the bottom of my home chair.
I have hard wood floors in my office.  The Herman Millers are always at the top of the ratings I've seen.  I'd be interested in a used one only if I could sit and try it out.  

I have hard wood floors in my office.  The Herman Millers are always at the top of the ratings I've seen.  I'd be interested in a used one only if I could sit and try it out.  
Hard wood (hehe) is why I picked up the Rollerblade wheels at home - didn't want normal wheels to mar the wood.  It's been 9 years and the floors aren't scratched.

This is the one my gf got me a couple Christmases ago.  Big fan, can't recommend it highly enough:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Turcotte-Luxura-High-Back-Office-Chair-Brown/product_934102#/id='swatch_934103'

Steelcase chairs are always near the top of ratings too.  It's on my list to sit and try.  

I have one as well.  Been using it for 10 years.  Did some searching and saw it on this site for a great deal so I ordered another one.  Says open box but for 25% of list price thought it was worth it anyway.  

https://www.madisonseating.com/leap-chair-by-steelcase.html

I have one as well.  Been using it for 10 years.  Did some searching and saw it on this site for a great deal so I ordered another one.  Says open box but for 25% of list price thought it was worth it anyway.  

https://www.madisonseating.com/leap-chair-by-steelcase.html
Great find!  Have you received your ordered one yet?  I understand the idea of the open box and I've found great deals in the past with open box/scratch/dent type products.  I'm curious how your open box looks to you from the Madison company.  

Thanks!  

I've used all sorts of material in office chairs and haven't really had a preference.  Mesh back chairs or okay but I don't sweat that much and never really saw a significant difference.  That said, I wouldn't turn down a chair because it had a mesh back.  

Great find!  Have you received your ordered one yet?  I understand the idea of the open box and I've found great deals in the past with open box/scratch/dent type products.  I'm curious how your open box looks to you from the Madison company.  

Thanks!  
Just ordered it yesterday.  Free standard shipping for 10-14 days delivery.  I will definitely let you know when I receive it.

Thanks!  
Arrived last night.  Brand new and undamaged.  Great buy for a high-end office chair.

Arrived last night.  Brand new and undamaged.  Great buy for a high-end office chair.
Thank you for following up.  I looked at the Madison seating site again and noticed these chairs are only available in the low back, and I noticed it said "no lumbar."  Does that mean the lumbar option is not available on these sale chairs?  Did yours come with the lumbar support lever?  

Thank you for following up.  I looked at the Madison seating site again and noticed these chairs are only available in the low back, and I noticed it said "no lumbar."  Does that mean the lumbar option is not available on these sale chairs?  Did yours come with the lumbar support lever?  
Looking at the new chair it does not have the lumbar lever.  My old one didn't either so that is probably why I didn't look into it.  I do see the high back on the site for $299.  I am pretty short and low back has been fine for me.

Sounds like we have some fans of the HM Aeron. Anyone tried one of the new "remastered" Aerons?

Also, anyone have any experience with the Knoll Chadwick? Same designer as the Aeron and looks pretty similar but maybe a slightly simpler design.

Tell her you're going to the doctor about your back.  Go to the bar and come back 2 hours later and tell her the doctor recommended the chair.  Tell her he said it could save you the inevitable back surgery down the road without it.

Ya know she could sit in it if you did reverse cowgirl on the chair!  Tell her it's much easier on your hips with this chair in that position. Problem solved!!

I can't tell from the description - is the seat a plastic mesh or a fabric mesh?
Plastic mesh. It's extremely comfortable, I've had 6-8ish hour study sessions sitting on it and save breaks and getting up to use the bathroom, comfy the entire time. Better than the POS chair I have at work, considering asking my boss if I can just buy one and bring it in at the price. Reviews back this up, people rave about this chair and the price point just seals the deal.

Very interested.  Likely buying a chair this weekend for my home office as it's time it install the Varidesk work sent me.  As some know I'm dealing with bad sciatica from spinal stenosis right now.  Actually sitting doesn't hurt right now but looking to get the best ergonomic one I can find that's also comfortable, easy to go back and forth between sitting and standing.

These tech mesh chairs from Staples I can vouch for. Studying for a test for work so putting in long hours in this chair on the weekends, and could be the best pound for pound money I've spent in a real long time: https://www.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Technical-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black/product_990119
I sat in one of these at the store - the seat is not all that deep. Measurements show an ok depth but the line up of the chair back takes away 3 or more inches from what I could see. I'm 6'3' and would like a bit more support for my legs. Other issue was the neck support - it was a bit short. Back was extremely comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread