What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dentist help (1 Viewer)

rascal

Footballguy
My wife missed her last cleaning and went yesterday to dentist and today to endodontist and received unfortunate news.  A previous root canal needs be redone as the material is leaking out and bacteria entered and caused an infection in the root/bone.  They also discovered that she needs a cavity on another tooth which may require a root canal as well due to its size/proximity to nerve.

My wife brushes her teeth and flosses three times a day so she is furious.  I was furious when the cost estimate came back at $1600 with potential up to $3000 if a second root canal is required with no crown factored in.  Both teeth are molars.  Is that cost typical?  Why would the root canal material leak?  Is our endodontist/dentist a quack?

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid $1800 for a root canal/crown about six years ago.  The price seems normal to me.

How old is that root canal/ crown?  A crown or a tooth can crack and let in bacteria.  That same crack can let the stuff that's inside leak.  (Some of it is gutta percha.  Golf balls were made of that over a hundred years ago.)  

Your wife's age matters, too.  My dentist told me that as I get older, my teeth will become more brittle.  (My husband doesn't get cavities, the little weasel.)

I'm not a dentist--but I just had some recent dental work done (2 root canals on molars that are towards the back of my mouth)--and I can tell you that a $1500 average price for a root canal is not out of this world if you are going to a really good dentist.  My guess is there are probably dentists out there that would do it for less--but my recommendation is to go with the best dentist and not the cheapest one.   Cutting corners with the quality of dental work will always bite you in the a** in the long run. 

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/how-much-does-a-root-canal-cost/

I added the link--looks like the average cost of a root canal for molars are $1000-1300--but can run up to $2000 each.  However--as another poster mentioned--if you have insurance--I imagine that would cover some of the costs.  

Is that with insurance?   I've had multiple root canals and never paid anywhere near that.   The only thing that cost much at all was the crown which ran about $400.   

Tell your wife to start making dental hygiene a priority and quit missing cleanings, or this is just the tip of the iceberg for dental work. A full arch fixed hybrid denture is $10-25k and is less likely to be covered by insurance than simple crown/root canal work. 

@Dentist - hey GB - question if you have a minute.  Was swimming last night at my BIL's pool and out of the blue when I would dive down in the deep end I would feel the pressure and it was causing some decent pain in one of my teeth - what was really odd was I would also have a audible whistle like noise that I would hear for a couple of seconds and then it would go away - the pain would stay until I came up out of the deeper water or got out completely.  I know I need to call/go see my dentist but have three questions for you:  1. Have you ever heard of something like this and 2. should I be trying to see him ASAP because it could mean something really bad or can it wait and 3. assuming I can live with the pain is there any reason to avoid this activity - my tooth isn't going to explode or something is it?  :oldunsure:

AAABatteries said:
@Dentist - hey GB - question if you have a minute.  Was swimming last night at my BIL's pool and out of the blue when I would dive down in the deep end I would feel the pressure and it was causing some decent pain in one of my teeth - what was really odd was I would also have a audible whistle like noise that I would hear for a couple of seconds and then it would go away - the pain would stay until I came up out of the deeper water or got out completely.  I know I need to call/go see my dentist but have three questions for you:  1. Have you ever heard of something like this and 2. should I be trying to see him ASAP because it could mean something really bad or can it wait and 3. assuming I can live with the pain is there any reason to avoid this activity - my tooth isn't going to explode or something is it?  :oldunsure:
Sure it's not ball cancer?

AAABatteries said:
Get to a new dentist quick, someone has implanted a sonic bomb in your tooth and you discovered it by diving, you may have just saved your life with early warning.

AAABatteries said:
You might have experienced barodontalgia. One of my buddies is a professional diver and he experienced tooth pain and had one of his fillings break during a dive. Granted he was at much deeper depth than a swimming pool--but I think the general premise is that changes in pressure can change or damage teeth. Keep in mind--I am not a medical professional in any respect and have zero medical background--so take this as a grain of salt.  

You might have experienced barodontalgia. One of my buddies is a professional diver and he experienced tooth pain and had one of his fillings break during a dive. Granted he was at much deeper depth than a swimming pool--but I think the general premise is that changes in pressure can change or damage teeth. Keep in mind--I am not a medical professional in any respect and have zero medical background--so take this as a grain of salt.  
Interesting, learned something

:lmao:

This was actually a really kind, informative post, but the two items in bold just made me crack up.  
I didn't realize my post ended up saying "take this as a grain of salt" and not "take this with a grain of salt". I seriously need to turn auto-fill off on my phone or proof read things before I click "submit reply". Lol 

I didn't realize my post ended up saying "take this as a grain of salt" and not "take this with a grain of salt". I seriously need to turn auto-fill off on my phone or proof read things before I click "submit reply". Lol 
:lol:     And thank you for understanding that I really wasn't ragging on you at all (well, maybe just in the smallest way ;) ).  Just the line where you kindly explained that your friend the pro diver was, of course, experiencing this barodontalgia disorder at SLIGHTLY greater depths than that of a conventional swimming pool had me rolling, and the taking it "as a grain of salt" finished it off. 

@Dentist

Are sealants helpful or a scam? Local dentist is saying insurance will cover sealants up until the daughters 15th birthday which is two months away. 

How about sealants for permanent teeth vs. baby teeth for young kids? TIA

@Dentist

Are sealants helpful or a scam? Local dentist is saying insurance will cover sealants up until the daughters 15th birthday which is two months away. 

How about sealants for permanent teeth vs. baby teeth for young kids? TIA
Sealants if done extremely meticulously by a dentist (not auxillary) are quite helpful.   I only seal permanent molars, not kids.

Most sealants are done by auxiliaries and are thus not terribly helpful.. because they fail quickly.

Has your daughter had a high decay rate thus far in her life?  if no they also are probably only moderately helpful.

hope that's somewhat helpful

Sealants if done extremely meticulously by a dentist (not auxillary) are quite helpful.   I only seal permanent molars, not kids.

Most sealants are done by auxiliaries and are thus not terribly helpful.. because they fail quickly.

Has your daughter had a high decay rate thus far in her life?  if no they also are probably only moderately helpful.

hope that's somewhat helpful
Thanks Dentist! No cavities for the 15-yo even with braces recently coming off.

By Aux do you mean Dental Assistants/Hygienists? Also, is there a type/brand of sealant that is better or one to stay away from?

Thanks Dentist! No cavities for the 15-yo even with braces recently coming off.

By Aux do you mean Dental Assistants/Hygienists? Also, is there a type/brand of sealant that is better or one to stay away from?
Sealants have been around a long time, i don't have strong feelings brand to brand.

I don't think i'd seal someone's molars who has never had a cavity.

I wouldn't seal my sons molars unless they had had previous incidences of decay.   If they had any cavity history i'd absolutely seal them.  My own molars were sealed by my father.

yes, by Aux i mean assistant/hygienist.

I leave a lot of money on the table by not placing a ton more sealants.. insurance generally pays 100% on them.

But I've seen too many failures in them to feel supremely confident.   I've altered my technique many times over the years to increase my success rate and i'm still not 100% satisfied.. though I'm getting a lot closer...   when i see offices having auxillaries do them though.. i know their success rate has to be mediocre.

You'd find my opinions to be in the minority compared to the dentist population as a whole.

Ask people at work who have lived there a while.  Also, ask the neighbors.  It's a great way to meet them.  (Gee, your teeth look great!  Where do you go?)

What's the best way to find a new dentist? I'm moving to a completely new city where I only know a few people there. I don't really want to bother them with a bunch of requests right of the bat, but I'm due for a cleaning soon.

Yelp reviews? Top 10 lists from the local city magazine?
Google reviews and word of mouth referrals are best.

Magazine lists are all paid ads.

Above all you want to find a non chain.  Look for a practice actually named after the doctor, or a family business, or check their website. Make sure you look for any affiliation to Heartland dental, Pacific dental, Aspen dental - those are chains that you don't want. Sometimes that information is hard to find

Dentist said:
Above all you want to find a non chain.  Look for a practice actually named after the doctor, or a family business, or check their website. Make sure you look for any affiliation to Heartland dental, Pacific dental, Aspen dental - those are chains that you don't want. Sometimes that information is hard to find
Oh, boy, is Dentist not kidding.  If you are in Texas, avoid Lovett Dental at all costs.  They run a scam.  I only tried it because my real dentist died.

Never again.

Is my dentist screwing me over? 

I go to the dentist every 6 months for cleaning/checkup.  The hygienist spends the most time with me, and I typically get about 30 seconds worth of the dentists time.  The hygienist usually says thing look pretty good, and the dentist usually confirms that and I am on my way.  A year ago, I told him I was experiencing some pressure sensitivity in the back tooth on the upper left side of my mouth.  He sort of shrugged it off.  And said let's keep tabs on it.  If it gets worse come back in.  Well it was pretty minor for a while, but started to get a little more annoying by the time my next 6 month appointment came around.  At that appointment I told him about it again.  He said he didn't really see anything wrong and perhaps it was due to a micro-fracture that he could not detect.  He says if it gets bad enough that you want to do something about it to let him know.  Over the next 6 months, it gradually worsens.  I didn't make a special appointment...just sort of lived with it (more annoying than significant pain) until my last appointment a about 2 weeks ago.   My normal dentist was not in the office at the time and instead a new partner whom I had never met tended to me.  She tells me the pain is from debris getting into a rotting area near the gum.  She says I do not need a root canal, but recommends that I get a crown on the tooth.  She also says I have cavities between the two teeth in the back upper right of my mouth.  I hadn't been having any issues there that I was aware of.   I am no expert, so I usually just accept the dentist at his word and follow through with whatever treatments he recommends.  But cavities do not form over night...shouldn't there have been some signs of what was going on during my last appointment or two?  I schedule an appointment to fill the cavities on the two upper right teeth...that was last Monday, and I have another appointment to start the crown process this coming Tuesday.

Last Monday, my regular dentist was there to tend to the cavities.  It seems like he drilled the hell out of my teeth.  When everything was done, the assistant who was actually doing the filling work tells me that it was really deep on the back tooth and they are worried about the filling.  Sure enough, I am now having significant temperature sensitivity with the back most tooth.  

I sort of feel like some of these things should have been noticed/diagnosed before they progressed to the stages they are at now.  I had been telling the dentist of the pressure issue a year ago.  How do the cavities on the right side progress to the point of being so deep over the course of 6 months?  Is this possible?  Or did this dentist just drill the hell out of my tooth to create the current situation to in order to prompt more work to be done.

tl;dr version...

Shouldn't dental problems be noticeable with regular check ups so that they don't progress to the point of requiring excessive work?  Is my dentist being negligent?  Is he intentionally leading me down a path of excess dental procedures that could have been avoided?  Or am I just  :tinfoilhat:  ?

My problem with what you said is this:  He sort of shrugged it off.  Frankly, if you feel that way, find another dentist- one who actually listens.

From the way you describe it, it does sound like something that was progressing slowly and finally presented itself at this last appointment

From the way you describe it, it does sound like something that was progressing slowly and finally presented itself at this last appointment
I could understand that if he said "hey looks like something is going on here, but we don't need to do anything yet.  We'll deal with it down the road."  But that didn't happen.  And I am more troubled by the "new" cavity on the right that just showed up and is supposedly so deep.  I keep feeling like he over drilled and is now blaming the cavity, but I don't know how likely that is.  Now the newly filled tooth is causing me pain and I am certain more work will need to be done on it.   

I could understand that if he said "hey looks like something is going on here, but we don't need to do anything yet.  We'll deal with it down the road."  But that didn't happen.  And I am more troubled by the "new" cavity on the right that just showed up and is supposedly so deep.  I keep feeling like he over drilled and is now blaming the cavity, but I don't know how likely that is.  Now the newly filled tooth is causing me pain and I am certain more work will need to be done on it.   
Sounds like your dentist is a hack. Does he even deficate, bro?

Is my dentist screwing me over? 

I go to the dentist every 6 months for cleaning/checkup.  The hygienist spends the most time with me, and I typically get about 30 seconds worth of the dentists time.  The hygienist usually says thing look pretty good, and the dentist usually confirms that and I am on my way.  A year ago, I told him I was experiencing some pressure sensitivity in the back tooth on the upper left side of my mouth.  He sort of shrugged it off.  And said let's keep tabs on it.  If it gets worse come back in.  Well it was pretty minor for a while, but started to get a little more annoying by the time my next 6 month appointment came around.  At that appointment I told him about it again.  He said he didn't really see anything wrong and perhaps it was due to a micro-fracture that he could not detect.  He says if it gets bad enough that you want to do something about it to let him know.  Over the next 6 months, it gradually worsens.  I didn't make a special appointment...just sort of lived with it (more annoying than significant pain) until my last appointment a about 2 weeks ago.   My normal dentist was not in the office at the time and instead a new partner whom I had never met tended to me.  She tells me the pain is from debris getting into a rotting area near the gum.  She says I do not need a root canal, but recommends that I get a crown on the tooth.  She also says I have cavities between the two teeth in the back upper right of my mouth.  I hadn't been having any issues there that I was aware of.   I am no expert, so I usually just accept the dentist at his word and follow through with whatever treatments he recommends.  But cavities do not form over night...shouldn't there have been some signs of what was going on during my last appointment or two?  I schedule an appointment to fill the cavities on the two upper right teeth...that was last Monday, and I have another appointment to start the crown process this coming Tuesday.

Last Monday, my regular dentist was there to tend to the cavities.  It seems like he drilled the hell out of my teeth.  When everything was done, the assistant who was actually doing the filling work tells me that it was really deep on the back tooth and they are worried about the filling.  Sure enough, I am now having significant temperature sensitivity with the back most tooth.  

I sort of feel like some of these things should have been noticed/diagnosed before they progressed to the stages they are at now.  I had been telling the dentist of the pressure issue a year ago.  How do the cavities on the right side progress to the point of being so deep over the course of 6 months?  Is this possible?  Or did this dentist just drill the hell out of my tooth to create the current situation to in order to prompt more work to be done.

tl;dr version...

Shouldn't dental problems be noticeable with regular check ups so that they don't progress to the point of requiring excessive work?  Is my dentist being negligent?  Is he intentionally leading me down a path of excess dental procedures that could have been avoided?  Or am I just  :tinfoilhat:  ?
this is tough to entirely troubleshoot based upon words and no visuals of x-rays or photos, but what the hell, i'll give it a shot.

I'll be honest.. sometimes we miss problems.  Over 16 years of doing this I've definitely had a few "oh crap" moments where I get an x-ray of something that is now a major problem and when i look back at previous x-rays.. there was the problem in a much smaller form.. i'd just missed it..  and now I have to have the uncomfortable conversation about how this tooth needs something more invasive than it would have if i'd found this last year or two years ago.

In addition,  we only get to take x-rays once a year..  so anything brewing in between the teeth isn't going to get picked up on the 6 month visit with no x-rays.   So it could have gone like this:    appointment 1)  x-ray,  don't see a problem or missed it because it was so small   2)  no x-rays, didn't check   3)  x-rays - oh my - here's a problem that's been brewing over a year.. and now it's a big problem.   Also if for some reason the x-rays kind of sucked one of the times,  a dentist could miss it if their employee didn't get the perfect x-ray shot.

Sometimes x-rays don't tell the entire story also...   diagnostics aren't the easiest things sometime.

So I've been in this spot before... having had the same type of person calling me out on the same type of issue... and usually unless i'm willing to eat the cost of it.. I'm probably going to lose the person's business.   It's a no win situation for me...  so while I try to avoid it... sometimes this happens.

You probably aren't being scammed...  but you might have a dentist that is a bit weak diagnostically...  or was given bad information by his team... or just missed it.   I've been there.. this is a hard job.

this is tough to entirely troubleshoot based upon words and no visuals of x-rays or photos, but what the hell, i'll give it a shot.

I'll be honest.. sometimes we miss problems.  Over 16 years of doing this I've definitely had a few "oh crap" moments where I get an x-ray of something that is now a major problem and when i look back at previous x-rays.. there was the problem in a much smaller form.. i'd just missed it..  and now I have to have the uncomfortable conversation about how this tooth needs something more invasive than it would have if i'd found this last year or two years ago.

In addition,  we only get to take x-rays once a year..  so anything brewing in between the teeth isn't going to get picked up on the 6 month visit with no x-rays.   So it could have gone like this:    appointment 1)  x-ray,  don't see a problem or missed it because it was so small   2)  no x-rays, didn't check   3)  x-rays - oh my - here's a problem that's been brewing over a year.. and now it's a big problem.   Also if for some reason the x-rays kind of sucked one of the times,  a dentist could miss it if their employee didn't get the perfect x-ray shot.

Sometimes x-rays don't tell the entire story also...   diagnostics aren't the easiest things sometime.

So I've been in this spot before... having had the same type of person calling me out on the same type of issue... and usually unless i'm willing to eat the cost of it.. I'm probably going to lose the person's business.   It's a no win situation for me...  so while I try to avoid it... sometimes this happens.

You probably aren't being scammed...  but you might have a dentist that is a bit weak diagnostically...  or was given bad information by his team... or just missed it.   I've been there.. this is a hard job.
I’ve always appreciated your candor. I absolutely love my dentist but if you lived near me you would be my dentist. 

I’ve always appreciated your candor. I absolutely love my dentist but you lived near me you would be my dentist. 
You've seen his post history right?  From nomarriage.com crusader to married with kids, to his unhealthy obsession with Fed and hate for Nadal, not even to mention his other more sordid obsession, while I find Dentist an honest and interesting poster I ain't getting into a dentist chair anywhere near him.

Much love though Dentist. 

You've seen his post history right?  From nomarriage.com crusader to married with kids, to his unhealthy obsession with Fed and hate for Nadal, not even to mention his other more sordid obsession, while I find Dentist an honest and interesting poster I ain't getting into a dentist chair anywhere near him.

Much love though Dentist. 
The nomarriage guy was real, he existed at a time when I was a bit more of a sociopath and alcohol and happy hour ruled my life.  I still think too many people get married tho.

The Federer stuff and anti Nadal stuff is real.  It's like my last real sports obsession.  I've given up or don't care or don't have time for most sports anymore.  And a true fed fan has to root against nadal.

The steamers has always been a made up thing that I've embraced the schtick of because it's hilarious.

Went yesterday for the tempory crown on the left side.  All seemed to go smoothly.  However, the tooth that got the filling last week is now experiencing temperature sensitivity.  Any chance of that fading away or am I looking at a root canal on that one?  I figured I would give it a couple weeks and talk to the dentist about it at the time my crown gets done.

@Dentist: no need for a new thread..

tell me about this: www.hismileteeth.com

any different than the usual peroxide trays? Feels gimmicky but had to ask. 

@Dentist: no need for a new thread..

tell me about this: www.hismileteeth.com

any different than the usual peroxide trays? Feels gimmicky but had to ask. 
Ingredients:  Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Chlorite, Citric Acid, Aloe Leaf Juice, Pomegranate Seed Extract, Chamomile Flower Extract, Glycerol, Propylene Glycol, Deionized water, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum, Menthol.

See something missing?   Something really important?   Yeah

guy at the office came over this morning to talk NCAA tourney. 

he says to me:  you lucky ******* having off tomorrow.. i wish i did. i'm starting to get a sore throat but there's no way the boss will believe i'm not feeling well.. she'll think i'm faking it to watch basketball"

i say: that sucks, man. your kids sick? catch it from your wife?

him: no, i went to the dentist yesterday. they use that stupid grainy toothpaste on your teeth. it makes me sick every time. i'm going to have a sore throat for 3 or 4 days and feel terrible and then it will go away.

am i crazy or is his dentist hitting him with the flu virus? :tinfoilhat:   

guy at the office came over this morning to talk NCAA tourney. 

he says to me:  you lucky ******* having off tomorrow.. i wish i did. i'm starting to get a sore throat but there's no way the boss will believe i'm not feeling well.. she'll think i'm faking it to watch basketball"

i say: that sucks, man. your kids sick? catch it from your wife?

him: no, i went to the dentist yesterday. they use that stupid grainy toothpaste on your teeth. it makes me sick every time. i'm going to have a sore throat for 3 or 4 days and feel terrible and then it will go away.

am i crazy or is his dentist hitting him with the flu virus? :tinfoilhat:   
WTF is this?  Do you suppose he means polish?  Or pumice?  And why doesn't he just ask for a different product?

@Dentist

Crown done on March 27th...continued to have pressure sensitivity while I had the temporary and after the permanent crown was placed.  Last week late Monday afternoon (4/9) I started getting a more significant throbbing pain.  Pain continued significantly Tuesday even woke me up a couple times Mon/Tue nights.  I called the dentist Tuesday afternoon and he couldn't get me in to the office until Thursday.  Wednesday evening, the significant pain subsided.  Went to dentist on Thursday, and at that time only had the relatively minor pressure sensitivity when chewing again.  My dentist said that what I am describing sounds like a root canal would be necessary, but he also said it can take some time for the area to heal up around the dental work that was done.  He suggested scheduling the root canal but go ahead and cancel it if I was feeling better.  Root canal is scheduled for Thursday.

So, the significant pain I experienced last week has not returned.  I still seem to have some tenderness when I chew, and it has been 3 weeks since the crown was placed (one week since the major pain episode).  Should I just go ahead with the root canal with the expectation that it is going to be needed anyway?  Or should I just live with this minor pain for a while longer to see if will eventually subside?  How would you advise your patients?  

@Dentist

Crown done on March 27th...continued to have pressure sensitivity while I had the temporary and after the permanent crown was placed.  Last week late Monday afternoon (4/9) I started getting a more significant throbbing pain.  Pain continued significantly Tuesday even woke me up a couple times Mon/Tue nights.  I called the dentist Tuesday afternoon and he couldn't get me in to the office until Thursday.  Wednesday evening, the significant pain subsided.  Went to dentist on Thursday, and at that time only had the relatively minor pressure sensitivity when chewing again.  My dentist said that what I am describing sounds like a root canal would be necessary, but he also said it can take some time for the area to heal up around the dental work that was done.  He suggested scheduling the root canal but go ahead and cancel it if I was feeling better.  Root canal is scheduled for Thursday.

So, the significant pain I experienced last week has not returned.  I still seem to have some tenderness when I chew, and it has been 3 weeks since the crown was placed (one week since the major pain episode).  Should I just go ahead with the root canal with the expectation that it is going to be needed anyway?  Or should I just live with this minor pain for a while longer to see if will eventually subside?  How would you advise your patients?  
Probably root canal time as best as I can judge with internet dentistry using nothing more than your description as a tool for diagnostics.   When they try the crown to relieve the pressure sensitivity and it doesn't work, that's generally a pretty clear sign the nerve is declining.

However, there's nothing wrong with giving it more time if you aren't ready

@Dentist

My crown was pressure sensitive at first. Don't remember how long that lasted but it's fine now. YMMV

However, there's nothing wrong with giving it more time if you aren't ready
If it is inevitable, I might as well just get it done.  If there is a reasonable expectation that the symptoms will fade and the procedure is unnecessary, then I don't mind riding it out.  Seems to me though that enough time has probably passed where this is likely as good as it will get without further intervention.

My problem with what you said is this:  He sort of shrugged it off.  Frankly, if you feel that way, find another dentist- one who actually listens.
This applies to ALL healthcare providers I've seen.  If they dont look like they care, then they probably ARE too busy to care.

This applies to ALL healthcare providers I've seen.  If they dont look like they care, then they probably ARE too busy to care.
Wow.  I'm sorry you've had such a crappy experience.  Other than the dental scam place and the quack shack at UT Austin, I've had very good experiences.  And since I'm paying for the service, I expect nothing less.

Users who are viewing this thread