What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Joe Mixon, HOU (2 Viewers)

I'm not using him either but my other options are really nice and the league's are not 12 team. But yeah, I don't know how he sits the endzone unless they get a PI down to the one.
It's tough because he should get his 12-15 touches even when they're getting smoked. Which I fully expect they will.

Idk

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in a dog fight this week and now I'm without ODB. I'm going to start J. Wilson in PPR with the hopes that he gets 60 yds rushing with 5 catches for 50 yds and TD. I think the upside of Wilson going off with 90/1 and 7/70/1 is much greater than Mixon hitting it big.

I think the Bengals will struggle to score, so playing Mixon in your fantasy playoffs is a huge risk IMO.  If you have better options I would go with them.  Mixon will get some volume, but I expect the Bengals to fall behind early and that hurts Mixon's ceiling.   If they fall behind (and they will) Bernard is probably a better play than Mixon if he's back.

Wish I wouldn’t have bench Joe for Sony. 

Oh well.  On round 2...

Mixon v OAK (at home)

Joe Mixon rushed 26 times for 111 yards and one touchdown in the Bengals' 26-21, Week 14 loss to the Chargers, adding five catches for 27 yards on six targets.

Plain and simple, Mixon was the offense. The Bengals were able to hang around in this one all day long because Mixon was fighting hard for yards on every touch. He finally found the end zone with 1:50 left to play from one yard out on his 31st touch of the day. Mixon will be an RB1 next week in a cake spot at home against the Raiders in a game the Bengals should have a shot to win.

Dec 9 - 7:06 PM

Really love how this kid is playing this season. Green out, Dalton out, Boyd gets hurt today--and the dude finds a way to produce even though the defense can focus in on him. I kinda wonder what his draft position ends up being in redraft next season.  

Really love how this kid is playing this season. Green out, Dalton out, Boyd gets hurt today--and the dude finds a way to produce even though the defense can focus in on him. I kinda wonder what his draft position ends up being in redraft next season.  
Agreed.  He's such a patient runner, but then he has great burst, and nice toughness too.

I'd have to think it over but I'd say he's well inside the Top 20 next year in redraft. Might depend on how the Bengals look as a team.

Mixon (seemingly) rising to the hype and looking really good seems to be one of the buried plot lines from this season that we aren't talking about, dynasty-wise. He's always had his believers and those who thought he reminded them of Bell (and he's not producing at that level yet), but he's clearly a top 10 RB. 

So if you put him Top 5 would you draft him over:

Gurley

Elliott

Gordon
Barkley is a mutant and McCaffrey in PPR is just too good, but I'd put Mixon on par with these other guys in terms of talent and overall skill set. The difference is that he plays for a more dysfunctional team. I don't like Gordon, but I'd probably take Elliott and Gurley ahead of Mixon in a 2019 redraft.

Without actually writing down a list of players, I imagine he'll be a top 10-12 pick in next year's drafts though.

So if you put him Top 5 would you draft him over:

Gurley

Elliott

Barkley

Mahomes

AB

Nuke

Gordon

McCaffrey

?
I love when opinions are challenged as if I didn’t think about it and just randomly threw out a number. 

I would draft him over Mahomes, AB, Hopkins, Gordon. 

I love when opinions are challenged as if I didn’t think about it and just randomly threw out a number. 

I would draft him over Mahomes, AB, Hopkins, Gordon. 
So you still wouldn't draft him top 5. Also cant forget Conner & Kamara in the 1st round.

Agreed.  He's such a patient runner, but then he has great burst, and nice toughness too.

I'd have to think it over but I'd say he's well inside the Top 20 next year in redraft. Might depend on how the Bengals look as a team.
It will also help if Gio is starting for someone else next year

What? Gio has almost no impact on Mixon. He's a great handcuff at this point and that's it.
He’s had over 20 snaps 5 games in a row with both healthy and takes them pretty much directly from Mixon. 

Boyd injury isn't going to help Mixson for week 16, Browns are probably going 9 in the box all day and they just shut down a pretty good Denver running game. Not that anyone is going to bench him, I couldn't anyways with my RB's crumbling before my eyes...

He’s had over 20 snaps 5 games in a row with both healthy and takes them pretty much directly from Mixon. 
Look at Gio's carries per game over his career.  I said it earlier in the thread and I'll say it again now.  Coming into this season Gio's carrier per game have been going down pretty much every year in his career. The trend continued this season. Last season he averaged 6.6 carries per game played. This year--he went down to 5.3.  He has consistently averaged around 3-4 receiving targets per game in recent years so that hasn't changed much.  He's getting utilized less and less with every passing season.   The impact of Gio on Mixon has been highly exaggerated.   He's not much more than an upside handcuff at this point. 

Boyd injury isn't going to help Mixson for week 16, Browns are probably going 9 in the box all day and they just shut down a pretty good Denver running game. Not that anyone is going to bench him, I couldn't anyways with my RB's crumbling before my eyes...
On the flip side, they don't have a lot of other offensive weapons at this point.  Ross seems to find his way into the end-zone from time to time but isn't a reliable weapon.  Mixon should see 20 touches in his sleep and push closer to 30.  May be a situation where he gets a lot more dump off passes with Boyd out and not a lot of receiving options.

Look at Gio's carries per game over his career.  I said it earlier in the thread and I'll say it again now.  Coming into this season Gio's carrier per game have been going down pretty much every year in his career. The trend continued this season. Last season he averaged 6.6 carries per game played. This year--he went down to 5.3.  He has consistently averaged around 3-4 receiving targets per game in recent years so that hasn't changed much.  He's getting utilized less and less with every passing season.   The impact of Gio on Mixon has been highly exaggerated.   He's not much more than an upside handcuff at this point. 
I’m not arguing that Gio gets high usage and is fantasy relevant. I am simply pointing out how often Mixon isn’t on the field this year. Gio has almost exactly the same amount of snaps and games as Mark Ingram. Other than that one, nobody else being considered for the top 10 next year has another guy taking 30+% of the snaps. 

I’ll stick to my position that if Gio isn’t in Cincinnati next year, Mixon’s snap counts can go from 70-75 to 90-95%. 

NFL Draft 2019 Winners and Losers, Veterans Edition

Excerpt:

Joe Mixon, RB, Bengals

Mixon was excellent last season, averaging 15.85 fantasy points per game, good for ninth among running backs. He improved in every statistical measure last year, and with a forward-thinking, offensive-minded head coach in Zac Taylor, was already set to take another step forward in 2019. Cincinnati’s draft only made that more plausible.

Most interesting, the Bengals used their first- and second-round picks on guard Jonah Williams from Alabama and tight end Drew Sample out of Washington, respectively. Williams might be the best offensive lineman in this draft class, and Sample is arguably its best blocking tight end. Williams should start immediately at either right tackle or right guard and will make things much easier for the Cincinnati running game. Sample will get early looks in two-tight end formations, and he’s just functional enough as a receiver to keep edge rushers honest. Sample could very well take the starting job from the oft-injured Tyler Eifert and the thoroughly average C.J. Uzomah. With better blocking in front of him, Mixon should be near the top of every owner’s draft list.

That is a real bummer. This was a team that I thought could outproduce the consensus expectations this season.
Same. This is enough to slightly temper my expectations on Mixon a bit. The line will be bad, but the Bengals still have a nice trio of skill players and the way Mixon is really going to be valuable is through TDs and receptions. 

Traded JuJu for Mixon in a non PPR dynasty league.  I realize nobody cares but I really just wanted an excuse to post in here so that I could get the thread starred now that I have an interest in him.

Mixon scares me as a Dynasty owner. 

Between the organization being one of the worst in football, the young rookie head coach, the ever present threat of off the field issues, the offensive line, the QB, the game script, and the talented RBs the Bengals just drafted I am more than a little worried. 

Obviously the bad organization thread runs through the rest of these items and may be the cause of many of them. 

To be clear, I don't think Mixon is a ticking time bomb or anything... but if anything at all off the field happens, that video will resurface and he will have far less public sympathy than another player might. 

If Taylor isn't really good right away and doesn't feed Mixon the ball in the passing game I don't know how his dynasty value can go anywhere but down. 

He is average for the NFL, but better than his backups.
He started every game the past two years.  That's saying something.

Also, if I understand it correctly, the guy who was suppose to take the recently vacated LT spot will now have to take this LG spot.  So now who's going to be the LT who keeps Dalton standing?

He started every game the past two years.  That's saying something.

Also, if I understand it correctly, the guy who was suppose to take the recently vacated LT spot will now have to take this LG spot.  So now who's going to be the LT who keeps Dalton standing?
Cordy Glenn will be the left tackle after Jonah Williams was lost for the year.  They have four options at guard so hopefully one of them stands out.

He is talented and locked into a lot of touches but this is starting to have a David Johnson 2018 feeling to it. 

PFF Offensive line rankings
https://www.pff.com/news/pro-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-entering-2019

27. CINCINNATI BENGALS

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:

Left Tackle: Cordy Glenn
Left Guard: John Jerry
Center: Billy Price
Right Guard: John Miller
Right Tackle: Bobby Hart

One step forward, two steps back. The Bengals looked set at the left tackle spot after they selected Jonah Williams with the 11th overall pick of the 2019 NFL Draft, but a torn labrum for the Alabama product means that it’s right back to the drawing board for a Bengals side that ranked 24th among teams in pass-blocking efficiency last year. Cordy Glenn is now set to return to left tackle after he earned a 60.9 overall grade there last year, while center Billy Price will hope to move swiftly on from a rookie season that consisted of only 558 snaps and zero single-game grades above 64.0. After all the offseason shuffling, the team remains steadfast in their support of Bobby Hart at right tackle, a player who hasn’t graded above 60.0 since 2015.

Users who are viewing this thread