What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Joe Mixon, HOU (2 Viewers)

I"m not a Mixon fan but I think he's going to be one of the top 5  players selected next season based on what he does in 2019. in other words, he's a poor mans Zeke Elliott, bell-cow , 3-down type RB who will be in the top 5 in carries this season. opportunity is there and that is all you need.Cincy is a bad team, but he'll get his numbers. 

Jeremy Rauch‏Verified account @FOX19Jeremy

Joe Mixon asked if he’s excited about his role in this offense:

“Hell yeah. I can’t wait. Night and day from last year.”

Said he’s ready for the work load. Knows it’ll be a lot of touches. #Bengals @FOX19

9:28 AM - 26 Jul 2019

I was really big on him earlier in the summer.

Now his O-line is in shambles.  Green injured.  

Bengals going to struggle as a whole and probably play a lot from behind.  He’ll get some garbage time receptions out of the backfield, but I’m down on him.  

I feel like the O-line issues are a bit overstated. Sure, it would have been great to have no injuries at this point, but he's not really in any worse of a situation than he was last year when he put up plenty of numbers. He should also be in a better schemed offense for his talent (we hope). Besides, most O-lines are mediocre, lacking depth or whatever. His situation is hardly unique. 

I feel like the O-line issues are a bit overstated.
I dont. I think the Oline issues are news and things people should be aware of before making a decision.

According to FBO offensive line rankings the Bengals have been a below average run blocking line for the last two seasons (22nd in 2018 and 24th in 2017) and much worse than their above average ranking of 14th in 2016 when they had Zeitler and Whitworth. Whitworth a huge part of the Rams offense becoming good since they signed him, There was some reason for optimism with the Jonah Williams pick being an upgrade for them and maybe reason to think they could be average or above average if that worked out well.

That is not the case with him injured. I remember talking about Bolling last year and most agreed he is a below average to poor starter. Yet he played almost every snap for the Bengals last year. While I would like to think his retirement is addition through subtraction, realistically he would not have played so much if the Bengals had anyone better. So his retirement may be a downgrade for their offensive line as a whole.

Sure, it would have been great to have no injuries at this point, but he's not really in any worse of a situation than he was last year when he put up plenty of numbers. He should also be in a better schemed offense for his talent (we hope). Besides, most O-lines are mediocre, lacking depth or whatever. His situation is hardly unique. 
This I totally agree with. I think it is worth pointing out that Mixon averaged 4.9 yards per carry despite the Bengals offensive line being below average last season. Mixon is a good player with a ton of talent, still in the early developmental stage of his career who just turned 23 years old last month.

If Green is injured again this year I think Mixon is the best weapon on the team and he should be very busy because of that. At the same time defenses wont have to play as deep if Green and Ross (or someone else) are not threatening them that way. You notice Mixons ypr and catch rate were lower last season and I think the absence of Green is a part of that.

I think Mixon is a top 12 RB for fantasy this season and I would be happy to take him early on in redraft. I would also look to trade for him in dynasty. However the upside for Mixon has definitely taken a hit in my view because of Oline and Greens health, which might lead to a trade opportunity or him falling to me at a spot I am comfortable with.

According to this ADP Mixon is still too expensive for me. I did have a choice between him and David Johnson earlier this year and I had to take Johnson. I think they are pretty close to the same value though.

I threw up in my mouth a little drafting him as my number one RB after all the other candidates were gone. I hope he’s a yardage machine because I can’t see a lot of TDs...

Bernard signed to money deal (2yr/10.3MM)... 

Mixon stock slipping.... 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bernard signed to money deal (2yr/10.3MM)... 

Mixon stock slipping.... 
I’m not too sure if it’s slipping. It seems they extended his contract due to the injury to Anderson. This came right after his injury seems more like an insurance signing more than anything.

I’m not too concerned.

Tex

Bengals coach Zac Taylor said Joe Mixon has an ankle sprain.

Mixon looks to have a low-grade sprain after getting rolled up on in Week 1. The Bengals are calling it a day to day injury. It sounds like Mixon is going to miss some practice time. Giovanni Bernard had a workhorse role after Mixon went down and would be on the RB2 map if Mixon ends up sitting this week.

SOURCE: Marisa Contipelli on Twitter

Sep 9, 2019, 2:58 PM ET

Coach Zac Taylor said Joe Mixon (ankle) remains day to day.

Taylor hinted Mixon may not practice much this week but could still play against the 49ers. He said the goal is just to get Mixon ready in time for Sunday. It could be a week full of DNPs ahead of a game-time decision for Mixon. Giovani Bernard would be an RB2 in the event Mixon is unable to play.

SOURCE: Ben Baby on Twitter

Sep 11, 2019, 1:45 PM ET

Coach Zac Taylor said Joe Mixon (ankle) remains day to day.

Taylor hinted Mixon may not practice much this week but could still play against the 49ers. He said the goal is just to get Mixon ready in time for Sunday. It could be a week full of DNPs ahead of a game-time decision for Mixon. Giovani Bernard would be an RB2 in the event Mixon is unable to play.

SOURCE: Ben Baby on Twitter

Sep 11, 2019, 1:45 PM ET
Sooooooo Mixon will NOT be playing this week, GOT IT!!!

Tex

Really tough one. Hard to sit him if he's active, but you couldn't have any confidence of him really producing if he plays. Hopefully he's ruled out before Sunday and gets a week off. 

Joe Mixon (ankle) is questionable for the Bengals' Week 2 matchup against the 49ers.

The good news is that Mixon returned to practice Friday. He's dealing with a low-grade sprain, but clearly the Bengals' featured back is operating at less than 100%. We tentatively expect Mixon to suit up Sunday, although it'd be unwise to assume he reaches 20-plus touches and has his usual role. Giovani Bernard would be in play as a rock-solid RB2 if Mixon is ultimately sidelined. Gio would be a thin flex option at best with Mixon in the lineup.

SOURCE: Jay Morrison on Twitter.

Sep 13, 2019, 1:16 PM ET

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Joe Mixon (questionable, ankle) "plans" to play Week 2 against the 49ers but will test out his sprained ankle in pre-game warmups first.

Mixon got in a limited practice Friday and was present for Saturday's walkthrough, tentatively putting him on track to play Sunday. It's a quick turnaround for a sprained ankle, though Mixon's sprain was apparently of the lesser variety. Barring a pre-game setback, we'd expect him to lead the backfield Sunday when the Bengals host San Francisco. With Mixon likely to gut it out, fantasy owners hoping to employ Giovani Bernard as a plug-and-play RB2 will have to look elsewhere.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 15, 2019, 8:00 AM ET

Not expecting a huge workload if he can go, but I’m probably forced to start him if he’s active. D. Montgomery or Mostert are my other options. He’s probably a safer bet on even 12-15 touches than those guys. 

starting him right now because my alternatives are:

League 1: J. Hill, J Samuels 

League 2: Darrell Henderson

Considering playing Samuels and Henderson...

I may go with the Unicorn over Mixon in one of two flex spots. Mostert, Corey Davis are other options. Not sure I can ever start Davis again.

Guys, it's week 2 and Mixon is playing on a low grade sprain.  How do you bench him already?  He was probably your 2nd round pick.  It's y'alls team but just seems like paralysis by analysis benching your starting RB in week 2.  If he was hurt that bad, wouldn't they sit him?  I'm starting with confidence.

Guys, it's week 2 and Mixon is playing on a low grade sprain.  How do you bench him already?  He was probably your 2nd round pick.  It's y'alls team but just seems like paralysis by analysis benching your starting RB in week 2.  If he was hurt that bad, wouldn't they sit him?  I'm starting with confidence.
Same 

I'm not sold one way or the other yet but when the player says they want to test it before the game, alarm bells start to go off. I don't actually give a #### what round I drafted him in. I only care if he is able to play effectively. 

You're right. And I am starting him, but not terribly confident. If I had an option to bench him in my flex I probably do. 

Yeah, I just put him in flex over C Kirk.  I hope I don’t regret it.  I had Kirk in the entire week until now.

I put Mixon back in. Mostly because the Dolphins just suck too bad. If I had Waller it would be a done deal. It was the blurb about them putting Drake on the block that put me over the top. There is too much possibility that the Fins take plays off and don't play for each other. Unicorn could still feast but Imma go with Mixon. I have the Unicorn in another lineup. 

Joe Mixon rushed 11 times for 17 yards and caught three passes for 10 yards in Week 2 against the 49ers.

Mixon was a game-time decision after missing practice time with a low-ankle sprain. He looked healthy, but offensive line issues and the Bengals abandoning the run after going down early worked against him. Cincinnati may continue to take it easy on Mixon in practice, but he should see his normal workload for a matchup with Buffalo in Week 3.

Sep 15, 2019, 4:45 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread