What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL sends Reuben Foster home from Indy (1 Viewer)

Bronco Billy

Footballguy
Reports are that Foster got into it with a hospital worker at the Combine and the NFL sent him home because of his behavior.  Anyone who can flesh this out a bit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Only thing I saw was the ESPN article that mentioned he was kept waiting for some unscheduled "pre-exam" and no one would tell him what was going on and he got frustrated and into a heated discussion with one of the workers.  Probably nothing that doesn't happen in every ER lobby daily and every GP office once a week.

http://draftanalyst.com/combine-report-34-free-agent-rumors-more-reuben-foster

The story garnering the headlines this morning at the combine is the behavior of Reuben Foster as he waited for an MRI on Friday. As with everything else in life, there are two sides to every story.

While this in no way justifies Foster’s behavior, I’m told there has been a lot of disorganization and inefficiency with player visits to the hospital for MRIs, something that has been a problem for years.

Take into the account the experience of Boise State linebacker Tanner Vallejo, who awoke on Friday morning at 3:45 a.m. for combine medical checks. Throughout the afternoon, his schedule was filled with interviews and team meetings. That evening around 7 p.m., Vallejo was informed an MRI was requested on his injured wrist, which necessitated a trip to the hospital.

So he went, and he waited and waited and waited.

Vallejo eventually arrived back in his room at 3 a.m. in the morning -- almost 24 hours later!! And while Foster’s behavior cannot be excused, having players wait in hospitals for six or seven hours for simple procedures is also unwarranted.

I had no idea they shipped players out of the building for MRI.  That's absurd.  Spend the 100k to get a machine brought in and a tech to run it for the weekend.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the NFL does it this way on purpose to avoid footing the bill for these diagnostics. NFL MD orders the test and players' insurance coverage pays for it so the NFL doesn't have to.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the NFL does it this way on purpose to avoid footing the bill for these diagnostics. NFL MD orders the test and players' insurance coverage pays for it so the NFL doesn't have to.
I wouldn't doubt it is done this way on purpose however the reasoning for me would be to see how players handle the difficulty of the situation.  Kind of a personality test of sorts.  It sucks sitting around for hours and being forced to deal with disorganization and difficulty is an interesting way to see what kind of person you have in a draft prospect.  I would say that Foster didn't pass that test.

There's virtually no chance all of these players have the insurance or means to pay for an MRI. 
I would think they're covered by college insurance programs. I suppose it depends on what their status is once they declare? IDK.... just seems like the type of sleeze a multi-billion dollar industry would engage in. lol

So Foster is now in the substance abuse program after getting busted for a diluted sample at the combine.

Not a great way to start a NFL career.

so he drank too much water?
Who cares why?  Fact is he's in it.  And now his risk window goes way, way up.  Before all he had to do was be smart enough not to toke up for about 3 weeks a year before the publicly known testing window and he could pot up the other 94% of the year.  Now he has to stay clean year round.  Let alone now we get to ask why he drank so much water.  Maybe he was sick and dehydrated, but maybe he was just trying to actually hide something.

Fact is if he's clean he's clean and this would never been a worry.  But we all know a large % of NFL players aren't clean, they are just smart enough to hold off during the test window.  And now Foster loses that luxury.  Now he's randomly tested year round, so if he IS in that large % he's going to have to develop an entirely new discipline to put the pipe down.  The vast majority of NFL players don't have to learn that.  Now we have to pray Foster can.

Users who are viewing this thread