What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2017 Chargers Thread **** (1 Viewer)

Tau837

Footballguy
Pretty telling that no one has created a 2017 thread before now, or posted in the 2016 thread since January 15.

While I despise Spanos for moving the team, Rivers is my favorite player and is the reason I became a Chargers fan in the first place, long before I moved to San Diego. I have decided I will continue rooting for the team as long as he is there, then I will move on.

So I figured we need a 2017 thread, and this is it.

Interested to hear from the usual Chargers fans on whether or not they will continue to root for the Chargers or switch allegiance to other teams/sports.

The Chargers have a new HC, Anthony Lynn. Lynn was a RB in the NFL and has spent most of the past 15 years as a RB coach for several franchises. Last year, he was promoted to Bills' OC when Greg Roman was fired. The Bills went on to have the #1 rushing offense and #30 passing offense (#32 in pass attempts).

Obviously, he has a much different set of personnel in San Diego, with a much better passing QB and better set of targets. The Chargers' OC from last season, Whisenhunt, stayed on, which provides some continuity. So what to expect from the Chargers' offense going forward?

How about gameday coaching? I would like to think he can't be worse than McCoy at that.

The Chargers have a new DC, Gus Bradley. Bradley said his Chargers defense will be a 4-3 defensive front with elements of a 3-4, which is consistent with the defenses he helped put together as HC in Jacksonville and DC in Seattle.

It seems he has a solid core of talented and mostly young players to build with -- DL Bosa, Mebane, Liuget, Reid, Palepoi, Square; DE/OLB Ingram; LBs Perryman, Brown, and (hopefully) Toomer; CBs Verrett and CB Hayward. The only standout problem area is at safety, and I expect the team to try to upgrade there, whether via free agency or draft or both.

So what to expect from the Chargers' defense going forward?

Thoughts on the state of the roster, offense. 

QB (assume 2 roster spots on final active roster):

• Rivers is locked in for at least a few more years.
  • Clemens is not good and is a UFA.
  • Bercovici (on the practice squad) does not seem NFL caliber.
  • If Rivers goes down, whatever chance the team has at a winning season is over, so the priority on the backup QB should be low salary. Combine that with the fact that Rivers is 35, and the team could target a young QB on a rookie contract as its backup. However, Rivers should have enough seasons remaining that it doesn't make sense to draft a QB within the first few rounds, since the priority should be on adding talent around Rivers to compete for a championship before he retires. But it is well known that late round QBs very rarely succeed.
  • Combining these factors, IMO the team should probably just sign the cheapest passable veteran possible. I suppose that could be Clemens, but I expect there will be cheaper veterans available who are just as good, since that is a low bar.
OL (9):

• What a running disaster OL has been for the Chargers. The last time the Chargers had a good OL was probably 2010. It has certainly been a huge problem throughout Telesco's tenure, and, while he has made moves to try to improve, they have generally been failures.
  • LT Dunlap was pretty good in his first 2 seasons with the Chargers, especially in 2014, just before he hit free agency. But he has been pretty bad since Telesco re-signed him and has had trouble staying on the field. PFF graded him as the #53 T in 2016. His 2017 cap hit if retained is $8.125M, but it drops to $3.25M if he is released. That makes it an easy decision to release him. :bye:  
  • LG Franklin has been among the worst guards in the league since Telesco signed him before the 2015 season. PFF graded him as the #66 G in the league in 2016, so not even starter caliber. His 2017 cap hit if retained is $7.6M; if he is released, his cap hit drops to $4.8M. I would like to see him released, but the combination of the associated cap hit and how many other OL positions may need to be addressed may cause Telesco to keep him and hope he regains the level of performance he showed in Denver.
  • C Slauson is easily the best OL on the team, and his 2017 cap hit is only $1.8M, so he is also a bargain. Signing him was easily the best OL move Telesco has made since he joined the Chargers. Thanks, Chicago.  :thumbup:  
  • RG Fluker has never played up to his first round pick. PFF graded him as the #54 G in 2016. His 2017 cap hit if retained on his rookie contract option is $8.821M, but it is not guaranteed, so there is no cap hit to release him. He is not even close to worth that, and I can't believe Telesco will let that stand. He should be released and the team should move on, but I am afraid Telesco will instead attempt to sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal that carries lower cap hits.
  • RT Barksdale was very good in 2015 and was that season's only bright spot on the OL. Then he fell apart in 2016, with PFF grading him as the #58 T. His cap hit if on the roster in 2017 is $5.55M, which is less than his cap hit if released of $6M. So it seems appropriate to give him another season to see if he can rebound to 2015 form.
  • 2016 3rd round pick Tuerk will make the roster. We have no idea how good he will be, but we can only hope he will be at least a capable backup. Let's just hope he doesn't have to take a spot on the active roster all season without playing again. Best case scenario would be for him to be good enough to be an upgrade at one of the starting G spots, whether with Slauson at C and Tuerk at G or vice versa. But I don't feel it is reasonable to count on that.
  • Swing T Hairston is not very good. PFF graded him as the #59 T this season, just behind Barksdale. His 2017 cap hit if retained is $1.8M, but it drops to $275K if he is released.
  • Backup G Wiggins is a RFA. He didn't play enough in 2016 to be ranked, but his PFF grade was higher than both Franklin and Fluker (though that is a low bar).
  • Backup T Burwell is a ERFA and only played 15 snaps last season, which doesn't bode well for his future, given how poor the OL was and given that a number of OL players missed time.
  • Backup G Pulley played 218 snaps and wasn't very good.
  • 2016 7th round pick G Clark did not play last season due to injury but showed some promise in training camp before he got hurt.
  • I would sign Wiggins and Burwell to contracts that allow them to be released before the season with no penalty. Then I would let those two, Hairston, Pulley, Clark, and whatever other camp fodder the team brings in to battle for the final 3 backup OL spots, along with Tuerk. I expect the backups to ultimately be Tuerk, Hairston, Wiggins, and Pulley.
  • With the starters, I would release Dunlap, Franklin, and Fluker and plan to sign 2 starter-caliber free agent OL and draft another starter.
  • However, I don't expect Telesco to be that aggressive. I think he will make the obvious move and release Dunlap, but I think he will stick with Franklin for another year and sign Fluker to a 3 year deal to stay. He will probably treat the backups like I described above, so he will only really have to make one significant move, replacing Dunlap.
  • And if that is what he does, expect another lousy OL performance in 2017.
RB/FB (5):

• Gordon is locked in as the starter through 2018, at minimum, assuming he stays healthy.
  • Woodhead is a UFA. I expect Telesco to bring him back on a 2 year contract at a reasonable price, and I agree with that. He is a unique weapon who elevates the offense, and there really isn't another RB to sign who can fill the same role as well.
  • Even though FB Watt was underwhelming in his rookie season, I'm sure he will be back.
  • That leaves 1-2 more RBs to fill out the roster, with many candidates: second year man Farrow, RFAs Oliver and Andre Williams, UFAs McCluster and Hillman. Which is best if Gordon misses time? Probably Farrow or Williams. Which is best if Woodhead misses time, probably Oliver or Hillman. So feels like McCluster is the first out through process of elimination. While Oliver hasn't been terribly impressive, he plays special teams, has been with the team longer, and should be cheaper than Hillman. Williams seems one dimensional. So it seems like Farrow and Oliver are the choices here.
  • The real question is whether or not the team keeps a 4 RBs and 1 FB, or just 3 RBs. If they go to just 3 RBs, I would think Farrow is the choice over Oliver.
  • In the event the team does not re-sign Woodhead (e.g., if he is too expensive), that would change things. In that case, I would think keeping Hillman would become a priority.
WR (5):

• Allen is locked in as a starter for 4 more years, assuming he stays healthy.
  • Benjamin just signed a big contract last offseason. While he had a disappointing 2016, he also played through a PCL injury that affected his play. Even with that, he showed the ability to stretch the field, as expected when he was signed. His 2017 cap hit if retained is $6.5M, but it would rise to $8M if he is released, so he is going nowhere. If he has another subpar season in 2017, he can be released with just a $2.5M cap hit in 2018, so he should be motivated to rebound in 2017.
  • Williams had a breakout season, despite struggling with routes/assignments at times. He is cheap and good and will be a RFA after the 2017 season. If he has another good season, I expect he will earn a multi-year contract.
  • Inman was quite good in relief last season. PFF ranked him as tied for #33 in 2016. Very importantly, perhaps even moreso in Lynn's offense, PFF gave him the #22 run blocking grade among WRs. So he will get snaps even if the three guys named above remain healthy. Inman is a RFA, and I expect Telesco to bring him back, as he should.
  • The four guys above make up arguably one of the best WR groups in the league, if they can just stay healthy. That means Stevie Johnson should be released. His 2017 cap hit if retained is $4.5M, but it drops to $1M if he is released. :bye:  
  • The 5th WR could be anyone at this point. It doesn't really matter, since it is a player who should be expected to be inactive on gamedays barring other WR injuries, and shouldn't play much even if there are injuries.
TE (3):

• Henry is going to be the featured TE in San Diego for many years if he remains healthy, starting in 2017.
  • Everyone seems to expect Gates to be back for one last season. He will be expensive -- his 2017 cap hit if retained is $5.437M, which would drop to $500K if he is released or retires. Honestly, the best thing for the team would be for him to retire. But I don't think it is a great idea to release him if he prefers to play one more year, given he is one of the all time Chargers greats.
  • Cumberland was an interesting signing last year but is coming off an Achilles injury in mid August 2016 (and had another Achilles injury in 2011). He is a UFA and turns 30 in May. Not interested. :bye:  
  • Cleveland and McGrath are RFAs. The #3 TE role for the Chargers should be expected to primarily be a blocking role. Cleveland was much better than McGrath at that, and I would probably bring him back.
Altogether, releasing Fluker, Franklin, Dunlap, and Stevie would open up about $20M in cap space. Signing RFAs Wiggins, Oliver, and Inman, UFA Woodhead, and a cheap veteran backup QB would probably eat up about $7M or so of that in 2017, providing a net gain of about $13M. But still needing to fill 3 starting positions -- LT, LG, RG.

More on defense and special teams later. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interested to hear from the usual Chargers fans on whether or not they will continue to root for the Chargers or switch allegiance to other teams/sports.
I can tell u this. When they goto the new stadium in 2019. If they seriously rebranded i will not be a fan.....at this point i dont think i will be living and dying with their playoff results like i have in the past. The nyj games. The pats games were killers...beating peyton was awesome. Beating pitt to goto the superbowl was unreal

Thoughts on the state of the roster, defense. I'm going to cite PFF grades, so I'm going to organize groupings the way they do to make it easier.

Interior DL (assume 6 roster spots on final active roster):

• These are the Chargers' interior DL 2016 PFF ranks (out of 205 graded players):

Mebane - #19 overall, #27 run defense, #16 pass rush on 340 snaps :thumbup:  
  • Square - #76 overall, #37T run defense, #181T pass rush on 362 snaps
  • Carrethers - #82 overall, #73 run defense, #100 pass rush on 48 snaps
  • Liuget - #97T overall, #45 run defense, #187T pass rush on 812 snaps :thumbdown:  
  • Reid - #116T overall, #168T run defense, #49T pass rush on 112 snaps
  • Philon - #134 overall, #84 run defense, #185T pass rush on 267 snaps
  • Palepoi - #168T overall, #131 run defense, #185T pass rush on 378 snaps :X  

[*]Mebane was very good last season, in his first season with the Chargers, and he also provided needed veteran leadership on the defense. However, he is 32 and played just 340 snaps last season, missing 6 games altogether. He is valuable to the defense, but cannot be expected to play major snaps.

[*]Liuget performed poorly in 2016, in the first season after signing his large contract extension. Look at those PFF grades and then consider he is being paid as a top 10 interior DL. The biggest disappointment is that he was the worst in the group at pass rush, when theoretically he should have benefitted from the pressure being applied outside by Bosa and Ingram. He is only 26, so it is reasonable to hope he rebounds. However, the team can save $6.5M off its 2018 cap by releasing him after 2017, so there is some pressure on him to perform this year.

[*]Neither Philon nor Reid were good overall last season, but both are young and cheap. Looks like a natural pairing, with Philon playing mostly in base/rushing situations and Reid playing mostly in passing situations.

[*]Square played pretty well in 2016, especially against the run. It seems that the team should be able to bring him back for a reasonable price. Like Philon, he complements Reid well.

[*]DT Carrethers is a RFA. After showing some potential in 2014, he didn't play well in 2015, and then got just 48 snaps in 2016. He graded well in 2016 compared to his peers, though perhaps the sample size is too low to fairly compare. It seems his lack of usage is more telling and must reflect stuff not evident on the field, whether attitude, work ethic, or just poor play in practice. If true, he probably shouldn't return.

[*]DT Palepoi is a RFA. He was by far the worst of this group in 2016, and the team should not bring him back.

[*]So Mebane, Liuget, Philon, and Reid will definitely be back, and the team should bring Square back. That leaves one more spot to fill, assuming the team has good reason to move on from Carrethers. Overall, this group could use some improvement, but team needs at OL and S will probably prevent any significant impact players from being added here. Improved play from Liuget is what is most needed.

Edge defenders (5):

• These are the Chargers' edge defender 2016 PFF ranks (out of 183 graded players):

Bosa - #5 overall, #7T run defense, #4 pass rush on 563 snaps :thumbup:  
  • Ingram - #6 overall, #12 run defense, #9 pass rush on 960 snaps :thumbup:  
  • Landrum - #80 overall, #51T run defense, #81 pass rush on 85 snaps
  • Emanuel - #105 overall, #34 run defense, #168T pass rush on 545 snaps
  • Tourek Williams - #137 overall, #121 run defense, #140T pass rush on 142 snaps :X  
  • Attaochu - #159 overall, #136 run defense, #157 pass rush on 178 snaps :X  

[*]DE Bosa is a stud and should be a foundational player for the Chargers for many years.

[*]DE/OLB Ingram had a great 2016 season. The Chargers franchised him, so he is currently set to have a 2017 cap hit of $14.55M. The team has indicated it wants to negotiate a long term contract with him, which should bring that 2017 cap hit down. Here's hoping the long term contract doesn't make him complacent. Telesco hasn't gotten many good results when he has given his own players large contract extensions (Butler, Liuget, Flowers, Dunlap... Rivers is the only exception so far).

[*]OLB Landrum is a 24 year old ERFA. He will be back with an opportunity to build upon his promising 2016 performance.

[*]OLB Emanuel is very one dimensional, and seems to really only offer value as a spot player in base/run situations when Bosa or Ingram are not on the field... and perhaps as insurance against a letdown by Ingram, though that would be a huge dropoff, so not really great insurance. Emanuel is okay for that limited role, but he should not play close to 545 snaps again. Hopefully Bosa will take 400 of those snaps in 2017.

[*]OLB Tourek Williams is a UFA and played poorly in 2016. The team should move on.

[*]No idea what has happened to OLB Attaochu. He played great in 2015 and then fell off a cliff in 2016. His play on the field was awful, and his usage dropped from 677 defensive snaps in 2015 to 178 in 2016. What to do with him depends on what the team knows that we don't. If he has problems with attitude or work ethic, the team should release him to save roughly $1M against the 2017 cap (although he has to then be replaced, reducing the savings). If there is nothing so serious as that, the team should bring him back on the final year of his contract and hope he rebounds to his 2015 level of play. And, with Emanuel, as insurance against an Ingram letdown.

[*]So Bosa, Ingram, Landrum, and Emanuel will be back. The last position is either Attaochu or TBD if the team chooses to release him. I'm guessing he is back, so this group is set.

Linebackers (5):

• These are the Chargers' LB 2016 PFF ranks (out of 167 graded players):

Toomer - #25 overall, #17 run defense, #44 coverage, #53 in pass rush on 479 snaps :thumbup:  
  • Brown - #28 overall, #125 run defense, #23 coverage, #7 in pass rush on 600 snaps :thumbup:  
  • Perry - #46 overall, #40T run defense, #58 coverage, #93 in pass rush on 114 snaps
  • Perryman - #54 overall, #54 run defense, #78T coverage, #12 in pass rush on 481 snaps
  • Dzubnar - #157 overall, #107 run defense, #164 coverage, #112 in pass rush on 45 snaps :X  
  • Teo - #161T overall, #127 run defense, #163 coverage, #138T in pass rush on 142 snaps :X  

[*]OLB Toomer was an outstanding find by Telesco. He is a RFA, and the team should bring him back on a reasonable two year deal to start.

[*]OLB Brown was a steal as a 2016 5th round draft pick, and he had an outstanding rookie season. He should start across from Toomer.

[*]ILB Perryman was solid in 2016. He should start and get most of the ILB snaps in base/rushing situations.

[*]ILB Perry didn't play a lot but was reasonably solid as a rookie. He should provide good depth behind Perryman. It is also worth pointing out that he made PFF's first team for punt coverage in 2016.

[*]ILB Teo was just as bad in 2016 as in 2015 before an injury mercifully ended his 2016 season. Many fans thought it was a bad move for Telesco to move up to take him in the 2013 draft, and, unfortunately, it was an even worse move than feared. He is a UFA coming off a torn Achilles suffered in week 3 of 2016. No way he comes back.

[*]ILB Dzubnar is terrible. He is on the roster primarily for special teams play, but it isn't clear that he is a particularly good special teams player. He is due to make $617K in 2017, and it seems like the team could get a better player for the same amount or less. The team should release him and move on.

[*]So Toomer, Brown, Perryman, and Perry will be back. That is a strong group. We also know from last season that Emanuel can play ILB in a pinch and showed he can be a strong run defender. With all of these players just brought to the team within the past two seasons, even Telesco probably won't feel compelled to draft another LB this year. One more player is needed here for depth and special teams, but this is not an area of urgent need, so a cheap veteran or UDFA should be acceptable.

Cornerbacks (6):

• These are the Chargers' CB 2016 PFF ranks (out of 202 graded players):

Hayward - #6 overall, #7 in coverage, #47 run defense on x snaps :thumbup:  
  • Flowers - #47T overall, #66T in coverage, #4 run defense on 352 snaps
  • Reed - #90 overall, #92T in coverage, #135 run defense on 123 snaps
  • Verrett - #111 overall, #126 in coverage, #52T run defense on 260 snaps 
  • Trevor Williams - #171 overall, #173T in coverage, #10T run defense on 389 snaps
  • McClain - #187 overall, #185 in coverage, #196 run defense on 327 snaps :X
  • Mager - #190 overall, #189 in coverage, #141T run defense on 410 snaps :X

[*]Hayward looks like the best free agency signing of Telesco's career and will obviously start.

[*]Verrett is entering the last year of his rookie contract. This is an important season for him. He played very well in his first two seasons, but his play fell off quite a bit in 2016 before he got hurt, something that didn't get much attention in the media. The general perception of him is that he is a top corner in the NFL, but he will need to prove that 2016 was a fluke to get a contract commensurate with that. He will also need to show he can stay on the field, having played in just 24 of a possible 48 games so far in his career. He will start if healthy.

[*]Flowers had a solid season last year when on the field. However, his 2017 cap hit if retained is $11M, which drops to $4M if he is released. He missed the last 6 games of last season with a concussion, and has a concussion history. If he was willing to renegotiate his contract to something that drops his 2017 cap hit by several million dollars, and if he wants to continue playing despite the concussions, the team should bring him back. But I don't expect both of those to happen, so he will almost certainly be released.

[*]Reed is under contract for 2017 for $615K. He showed some potential and should be back.

[*]Trevor Williams is a ERFA. His run defense was nice, but corners get paid to cover, and he wasn't good at it. I would let him go, but I predict Telesco brings him back.

[*]McClain is terrible and is a UFA. Easy call, he should be released.

[*]Mager is terrible. He was a bad pick when the pick was made and has proven it. His 2017 cap hit if retained is $798K, but drops to $331K if he is released. Easy call for me, he should be released. Not sure Telesco will agree.

[*]Overall, assuming Flowers is gone, the team has two quality starters, one of whom has not proven he can stay healthy, and very weak depth, with some number of holes to fill depending on what Telesco does with Williams, McClain, and Mager. This is a problem area that needs attention. Right now, I don't see how anyone can feel comfortable with this group as it stands. IMO the team should attempt to sign a reasonably priced veteran to replace Flowers, pushing Reed and whoever else down the depth chart.

Safeties (4):

• These are the Chargers' S 2016 PFF ranks (out of 164 graded players):

Addae - #12T overall, #10 in coverage, #12 run defense on 510 snaps
  • Lowery - #43T overall, #11T in coverage, #143 run defense on 1003 snaps
  • McCoil - #95 overall, #56T in coverage, #154 run defense on 248 snaps
  • Phillips - #119 overall, #150 in coverage, #59T run defense on 542 snaps
  • Stuckey - #135 overall, #143 in coverage, #84T run defense on 30 snaps
  • (oh yeah, and Weddle was #1 overall) :thumbdown:  

[*]My first reaction to those grades above is to be surprised at how highly rated Addae and Lowery are in coverage. It doesn't match my impression from watching the games. That drives both of them to higher overall grades than I would have expected.

[*]SS Addae is a UFA. I assume Telesco wants to bring him back, and I think he should bring him back if he isn't too expensive. If he doesn't return, this is a gaping hole that must be filled, since there is no way anyone should be comfortable with the idea of any of the Chargers' backup safeties moving into the starting lineup.

[*]FS Lowery was really bad in run support last year. Big dropoff from Weddle to him, but I suppose you get what you pay for. I expect Lowery will be back and starting for at least one more year, but I would rather see him replaced. I just don't see Telesco releasing him one year after signing him to a 3 year deal.

[*]Stuckey has been a great special teams player, but I think his time has come. His 2017 cap hit if retained is $3.333M, but it drops to $433K if he is released. Is he really worth $2.9M for special teams alone? I don't think so. Seems like his contract was structured for him to be released this offseason, since his salary jumps from $1.235M in 2016 to $2.9M in 2017. He is 29, so I don't think negotiating an extension really makes sense, so he should be released.

[*]I had high hopes for McCoil last year, but he was underwhelming. He is under contract for 2017 for $540K, so he is cheap, and he showed some promise in coverage, especially against TEs. He will be back.

[*]Phillips is the opposite of McCoil, not bad in run defense, terrible in coverage. He is a RFA, and he is just 24, so I expect Telesco to bring him back on a cheap contract and hope for growth.

[*]So as of now, it seems most likely that Addae, Lowery, McCoil, and Phillips will be the safeties to make the final roster. I don't trust the PFF grades being so high for Addae and Lowery... it feels like this is the weakest unit on the team other than OL. I would like to see an impact player added here. If Addae is re-signed, that means adding an impact FS, and letting him battle for the starting job with Lowery and forcing McCoil, Phillips, and other camp fodder battle for the last spot on the depth chart. If Addae is not re-signed, it will have to be at SS. In that case, I hope Telesco goes after one of the free agent safeties from the Cardinals (Jefferson, Swearinger).

Altogether, releasing Flowers and Stuckey would open up about $10M in cap space, and signing Ingram long term should free up another several million. That should roughly cover signing Landrum, Toomer, Addae, a veteran CB, and an impact safety.

My projected depth chart on defense looks like this:

• Interior DL - Mebane, Liuget, Square, Reid, Philon, TBD
  • Edge - Bosa, Ingram, Emanuel, Landrum, Attaochu
  • LB - OLBs Brown, Toomer; ILBs Perryman, Perry; OLB/ILB TBD
  • CB - Hayward, Verrett, TBD veteran, Reed, TBD (probably Trevor Williams), TBD (probably Mager)
  • S - Addae, Lowery, TBD impact player, McCoil/Phillips
That looks like it could be the core of a very good defense, given proper coaching and reasonably good health. Depth is weak, though. The additions last offseason of Bosa, Mebane, Brown, and Toomer (and the subtraction of some others like Reyes and Teo) has created a strong front 7 that just needs minor adjustments overall. But the defensive backfield needs attention; as constructed now, it will not be able to withstand injuries to the starters.

Thoughts?

On to free agency. According to spotrac, the Chargers have about $5.84M in available cap space at this time; this number already accounts for their draft picks.

IMO they should release several players, listed here with their 2017 cap savings:

• CB Flowers - $9M (designated as post June 1 cut)
  • RG Fluker - $8.821M
  • LT Dunlap - $6.5M (designated as post June 1 cut)
  • LG Franklin - $6M (designated as post June 1 cut)
  • WR Stevie Johnson - $3.5M
  • S/ST Stuckey - $2.9M
  • LB/ST Dzubnar - $615K
  • CB Mager - $467K
This would bump them up to $43.6M in available cap room. Then let's say they negotiate a long term deal with Ingram that lowers his 2017 cap number by $3M. Up to $46.6M in available cap room.

Gates is a wild card. If he retires, the team would save another $4.937M. He really isn't worth that much at this stage of his career. Will the team push him to retire? I will assume no for now, but that is another $5M that could be freed up.

First, the team needs to re-sign some of its own players. Here are the ones I think they should keep (besides Ingram), along with a projection for their 2017 cap hits:

• SS Addae - $4M
  • RB Woodhead - $3.5M
  • WR Inman - $2.5M
  • DL Square - $1M
  • LS Windt - $1M
  • RB Oliver - $750K
  • G Wiggins - $700K
That is about $13.5M, so leaving about $33M remaining to use in free agency. The team will need to hold some cap room in reserve for in season moves... perhaps $5M? Leaving $28M in available cap room.

I think the team should address these positions in free agency, with notional amounts it might take to get quality players at each position:

• LT - $7M
  • G - $5M
  • S - $4M
  • Veteran 3rd CB - $5M
  • Cheaper 5th CB - $2M
  • QB - $1M
That is $24M, so still with $4M left over plus the Gates room if he retires. That would leave these depth chart positions unfilled entering the draft, ranked in my rough order of importance:

• 1 starting G
  • 6th interior DL
  • 5th WR
  • 6th CB
  • 5th LB
The good news about this is it would allow the team to mostly go BPA throughout the draft, maybe with a G in 2nd/3rd.

Thoughts? What did I miss?

On to free agency. According to spotrac, the Chargers have about $5.84M in available cap space at this time; this number already accounts for their draft picks.

IMO they should release several players, listed here with their 2017 cap savings:

• CB Flowers - $9M (designated as post June 1 cut)
  • RG Fluker - $8.821M
  • LT Dunlap - $6.5M (designated as post June 1 cut)
  • LG Franklin - $6M (designated as post June 1 cut)
  • WR Stevie Johnson - $3.5M
  • S/ST Stuckey - $2.9M
  • LB/ST Dzubnar - $615K
  • CB Mager - $467K
This would bump them up to $43.6M in available cap room. Then let's say they negotiate a long term deal with Ingram that lowers his 2017 cap number by $3M. Up to $46.6M in available cap room.

Gates is a wild card. If he retires, the team would save another $4.937M. He really isn't worth that much at this stage of his career. Will the team push him to retire? I will assume no for now, but that is another $5M that could be freed up.

First, the team needs to re-sign some of its own players. Here are the ones I think they should keep (besides Ingram), along with a projection for their 2017 cap hits:

• SS Addae - $4M
  • RB Woodhead - $3.5M
  • WR Inman - $2.5M
  • DL Square - $1M
  • LS Windt - $1M
  • RB Oliver - $750K
  • G Wiggins - $700K
That is about $13.5M, so leaving about $33M remaining to use in free agency. The team will need to hold some cap room in reserve for in season moves... perhaps $5M? Leaving $28M in available cap room.

I think the team should address these positions in free agency, with notional amounts it might take to get quality players at each position:

• LT - $7M
  • G - $5M
  • S - $4M
  • Veteran 3rd CB - $5M
  • Cheaper 5th CB - $2M
  • QB - $1M
That is $24M, so still with $4M left over plus the Gates room if he retires. That would leave these depth chart positions unfilled entering the draft, ranked in my rough order of importance:

• 1 starting G
  • 6th interior DL
  • 5th WR
  • 6th CB
  • 5th LB
The good news about this is it would allow the team to mostly go BPA throughout the draft, maybe with a G in 2nd/3rd.

good idea, but cutting 3/5 starting OL doesn't seem like a good idea, even if they are all below average or average players

good idea, but cutting 3/5 starting OL doesn't seem like a good idea, even if they are all below average or average players
And I don't expect Telesco to do it. But it makes sense. 

Dunlap is a nobrainer, even for Telesco. That leaves Fluker and Franklin. 

I certainly hope Telesco doesn't think he should let Fluker play this year for $8.8M. But I am afraid he will sign him to a 3 year $16M contract or something like that. 

Releasing Franklin still leaves a healthy amount of dead money on the cap in 2017 or 2017-18 depending on whether or not they designate him as a post June 1 cut. For that reason, I see him as the least likely to be cut by Telesco.

But Franklin and Fluker have both been terrible. Is it really that much of a drop off to release either of them and replace with Wiggins/Pulley/Tuerk/Clark? Is it really a stretch to think there are better veteran OL out there that the team can afford?

Reportedly the Chargers have released Fluker, Flowers, and Stevie, with at least one more player to be released imminently. Hopefully Dunlap and Stuckey are still to be released. I'd like to see Franklin gone as well, but expect Telesco to keep him, as I mentioned above.

Those are the big cap number players (other than Gates). So some good progress at least.

Have not seen any reports of anyone the Chargers are targeting in free agency so far.

As a Charger fan living in Orange County I am torn on continuing my allegiance.  My daughter keeps asking if we should be Rams fans now (since a lot of the stores near us have Rams gear in them).  But the StubHub is close to me so I may try and get to a game and decide.  

As for the draft and FA?  Oline, defense and depth.  A young QB to groom wouldnt be bad either.  Glad to see Flowers go.  Sad Stevie J didn't live up to it so we wish him good luck.  Allen needs to get/stay healthy and Williams and Inman look like great options.  Benjamin can be #4.

Reportedly the Chargers have released Fluker, Flowers, and Stevie, with at least one more player to be released imminently. Hopefully Dunlap and Stuckey are still to be released. I'd like to see Franklin gone as well, but expect Telesco to keep him, as I mentioned above.

Those are the big cap number players (other than Gates). So some good progress at least.

Have not seen any reports of anyone the Chargers are targeting in free agency so far.
I would think that any FA would be reluctant unless the chargers overpay with all the uncertainty

I would think that any FA would be reluctant unless the chargers overpay with all the uncertainty
1. They are moving to LA and will play in a palace in a couple years. They have a new HC. They have a franchise QB for a few more years. What uncertainty?

2. Money talks. The Chargers typically spend to the cap, so they should be expected to use that cap space.

B Maverick said:
As a Charger fan living in Orange County I am torn on continuing my allegiance. 
Totally shuked here. I'd think you'd be stoked that your favorite team moved to your town.

Totally shuked here. I'd think you'd be stoked that your favorite team moved to your town.
Yeah, you'd think....

I grew up in SD and the Chargers were the only home town team I supported (Yes I realize the only other choice is the Padres but still).  Kinda wanted them to remain that way.  

Reportedly, the team will sign Addae to a 4 year $22M contract with $8M guaranteed. I thought they should and would try to re-sign him but did not imagine it would require that much. Very frustrating that they let Weddle walk and treated him badly in doing so, only to sign Addae a year later for a contract so close to Weddle's (Weddle 4/$26M). Sure, Addae is younger, but he also isn't close to as good as Weddle and is injury prone. :thumbdown:  

Reportedly, the Chargers have re-signed LS Windt to a 4 year deal. Not a flashy move, but a good one IMO. :thumbup:  

Last year i was really afraid the broncos were going to get wentz which would make the division a nightmare for a decade. So happy they took the qb they did who will do nothing in this league.  

My fear in this draft is the chiefs get kizer. Kizer is probably the only future qb star in this draft and he might slide.  The chiefs are giving serious signals of taking a qb high.  If kizer slips a bit, im afraid the chiefs will trade up to get him which instantly makes the chiefs a super bowl team and the division is a nightmare for a decade. 

Really hoping clev takes him at 1 or 12 and keeps him away from andy reid. 

I wasn't living near SD when I started rooting for the Chargers, and I don't live anywhere near there (or LA) now. My rooting interest would remain consistent if they moved to China.

Last year i was really afraid the broncos were going to get wentz which would make the division a nightmare for a decade. So happy they took the qb they did who will do nothing in this league.  

My fear in this draft is the chiefs get kizer. Kizer is probably the only future qb star in this draft and he might slide.  The chiefs are giving serious signals of taking a qb high.  If kizer slips a bit, im afraid the chiefs will trade up to get him which instantly makes the chiefs a super bowl team and the division is a nightmare for a decade. 

Really hoping clev takes him at 1 or 12 and keeps him away from andy reid. 
Kizer is terrible

OK, two weeks later, where do we stand?

• CB Flowers - $9M (designated as post June 1 cut) - check, but apparently not designated as post June 1 cut, so cap savings = $7M
  • RG Fluker - $8.821M - check
  • LT Dunlap - $6.5M (designated as post June 1 cut) - check, but apparently not designated as post June 1 cut, so cap savings = $5.375M
  • LG Franklin - $6M (designated as post June 1 cut) - no sign team will do this
  • WR Stevie Johnson - $3.5M - check
  • S/ST Stuckey - $2.9M - no sign team will do this
  • LB/ST Dzubnar - $615K - no sign team will do this
  • CB Mager - $467K - no sign team will do this

• SS Addae - $4M - check, 2017 cap hit is $4.25M, so pretty close to projected number, but overall contract seems too high
  • RB Woodhead - $3.5M - signed with Ravens
  • WR Inman - $2.5M - check, signed tender = 1 year contract for $2.746M; expect team to sign him to 2 or 3 year contract and lower 2017 cap hit a bit
  • DL Square - $1M - check, signed 2 year, $4M contract, 2017 cap hit is $1.33875M
  • LS Windt - $1M - check, signed 4 year, $4.41M contract, 2017 cap hit is $1.055M
  • RB Oliver - $750K - allowed to walk, still unsigned; team chose to tender Andre Williams, have not seen any contract info
  • G Wiggins - $700K - check, signed tender, have not seen any contract info
  • LB Toomer - forgot to list him originally but wanted him re-signed; would have projected $2M+ - check, signed tender = 1 year contract for $1.797M; expect team to sign him to 2 or 3 year contract, which could lower 2017 cap hit
The team also re-signed several of its own free agents not listed above:

• QB Clemens
  • TE Cleveland
  • TE McGrath
  • WR Burse
  • WR Davis
  • S Phillips

• LT - $7M - check, signed LT Okung, but overpaid at 4 years, $53M... 2017 cap hit is only $6M, but 2018 cap hit jumps to $15M
  • G - $5M - no sign team will do this, and probably shouldn't if Franklin stays
  • S - $4M - no sign team will do this; would like to believe this will still either be addressed via free agency or draft
  • Veteran 3rd CB - $5M - no sign team will do this; surely this will still either be addressed via free agency or draft
  • Cheaper 5th CB - $2M - no sign team will do this; Telesco seems content with Mager, Trevor Williams and Trovon Reed as his depth at CB
  • QB - $1M - check, signed Clemens

• 3rd CB - if no veteran 3rd CB added in free agency, this becomes a high priority in the draft
  • S - if no S added in free agency, this becomes a high priority in the draft
  • 6th interior DL
  • 1 starting G - rethinking this, I think Tuerk, Pulley, Clark, and Wiggins get to battle for starting G or C (moving Slauson to G) spots; still could draft OL, but not sure it is necessary to draft someone to step in and start, so priority drops from #1 to #4
  • 5th WR - this won't be necessary if team expects Burse or Davis to fill this role
  • 6th CB - this won't be necessary if team retains all of Mager, Williams, and Reed
  • 5th LB - this won't be necessary if team retains both Dzubnar and Attaochu

Reserving room for their draft picks, the team only has about $4.7M in available cap space. There are still some moves to make to increase that amount:

• Sign Ingram long term
  • Release Franklin, particularly if designating as post June 1 cut
  • Other smaller stuff like releasing Mager and/or Dzubnar
  • Release Stuckey
  • Gates retires or is released
I expect the team to extend Ingram, and do not expect them to release Franklin, Mager, or Dzubnar. Feels like they will need to release Stuckey, don't see how they can keep him for special teams with a $3.3M cap hit. Don't really expect Gates to retire or be released.

So feels like they ought to be operating with about $8M to $10M in room, depending on how much Ingram's 2017 cap hit can be lowered via extension. Telesco will probably want to retain $4M to $5M going into the season, so we should still see a couple bargain free agents signed at some point.

Thoughts?

The team re-signed Branden Oliver and signed Kenjon Barner. This means the team currently has 5 RBs on the roster (not including FB Watt): Gordon, Farrow, Andre Williams, Oliver, and Barner. Oliver hasn't played since Nov 15 due to injuries, but he was a solid receiving back when he played.

So it looks like he and Barner could be competing for the #2 RB role, equating to the third down back role. I suppose the team could still bring in another player, whether via draft or free agency, but for now it feels like this is good for Gordon from a fantasy perspective... big dropoff from Woodhead to Oliver/Barner.

Not sure it is particularly good from an NFL perspective, especially since Gordon has not been able to stay healthy through a full season so far. For that matter, the only one of these 5 players who was able to play in the final game of the season was Williams. The rest were on IR. And Oliver is coming off an Achilles injury...

The team also re-signed DT Palepoi. I hope this is just to have a camp body. He was awful last season, and has to miss game 1 to complete his PED suspension.

I'm sticking with them despite the move.....

Schedule looks brutal especially first 8 games.... :X .....looking at 5-11?

Monday, Sept. 11 — at Denver, 7:20 p.m. 

Sunday, Sept. 17 — Miami, 1:05 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 24 — Kansas City, 1:25 p.m.

Sunday, Oct. 1 — Philadelphia, 1:05 p.m.

Sunday, Oct. 8 — at NY Giants

Sunday, Oct. 15 — at Oakland, 1:25 p.m. 

Sunday, Oct. 22 — Denver, 1:25 p.m. 

Sunday, Oct. 29 — at New England, 10 a.m.

Sunday, Nov. 5 — OFF

Sunday, Nov. 12 — at Jacksonville, 10 a.m. 

Sunday, Nov. 19 — Buffalo, 1:05 p.m. 

Thursday, Nov. 23 — at Dallas, 1:30 p.m. 

Sunday, Dec. 3 — Cleveland, 1:05 p.m. 

Sunday, Dec. 10 — Washington, 1:05 p.m. 

Saturday, Dec. 16 — at Kansas City, 5:30 p.m. 

Sunday, Dec. 24 — at New York Jets, 10 a.m. 

Sunday, Dec. 31 — Oakland, 1:25 p.m. 

I'm actually a little surprised by the number of people feeling conflicted or are still planning on supporting the team. I identified with the Chargers because they represented San Diego, my hometown that I love. They represented my parents, long time season ticket holders despite not having the money to pay for our utilities at times. We would pile into our beat up old Pinto and go to every game, remaining die hard supporters during some pretty dark times (Ryan Leaf era for one).  Regretfully I passed that on to my own kids, and despite being born and raised in St. Louis, they were heartbroken along with me and their grandmother (my father passed several years ago...could only imagine the funk he would be in).

While I understand the sentiment of the guy who wrote about still following them because of favorite players like Rivers, I will not be doing the same. I will not be rooting for the success of a team owned by a bumbling, callous man, who was born the heir of more money that he could ever spend, but still needed more. Oh, and they mover to LA of all places. Nope. Screw that.

Schedule looks brutal especially first 8 games.... :X .....looking at 5-11?
11 games against teams with winning records in 2016, plus 2 more against teams that were 7-9.

8 games against 2016 playoff teams.

4 East coast road games kicking off at 1 pm, meaning 10 am Pacific. Those are very tough on the Chargers. They are 2-7 in such games over the past 2 seasons and 20-23 in those games during Rivers' 11 years starting, compared to 81-61 in all other games.

To make the playoffs, they probably need to win 10 games. I cannot assume they will sweep at home, so the formula is probably 3 road wins and 7 home wins.

The road schedule is very tough. The Chargers will be heavy dogs at DEN on MNF, at NYG @ 1 pm EST, at OAK, at NE @ 1 pm EST, at DAL on Thanksgiving, and at KC for a Saturday night game with playoffs possibly on the line (well, for KC anyway). Wins in any of those games would be a surprise, but they probably need to steal one.

They have to win the road games at JAX and at NYJ. Both of them are early cross country games, so even these games will be tough.

At home out of division, they get MIA, PHI, BUF, CLE, WAS. Among these teams, only MIA was a playoff team last season. To have a shot at the playoffs, the Chargers pretty much need to sweep those games.

They also really need to sweep the home division games, but that would be quite a turnaround, given they are 2-7 against those teams at home over the past 3 seasons.

6-8 wins looks much more likely than 10 IMO. Hope I'm wrong.

7th worst record gets the 3rd toughest schedule (which doesn't even calculate all those east coast road trips). Somehow that doesn't seem right.

Fresh Prince of Bel Nor said:
I'm actually a little surprised by the number of people feeling conflicted or are still planning on supporting the team. I identified with the Chargers because they represented San Diego, my hometown that I love. They represented my parents, long time season ticket holders despite not having the money to pay for our utilities at times. We would pile into our beat up old Pinto and go to every game, remaining die hard supporters during some pretty dark times (Ryan Leaf era for one).  Regretfully I passed that on to my own kids, and despite being born and raised in St. Louis, they were heartbroken along with me and their grandmother (my father passed several years ago...could only imagine the funk he would be in).

While I understand the sentiment of the guy who wrote about still following them because of favorite players like Rivers, I will not be doing the same. I will not be rooting for the success of a team owned by a bumbling, callous man, who was born the heir of more money that he could ever spend, but still needed more. Oh, and they mover to LA of all places. Nope. Screw that.
I hear you. I'm a weird fan...grew up in the southeast in the 1970s/1980s. No affiliation to the city, but loved my namesake and been with them ever since. Figured if I survived BJ Tolliver, Ryan Leaf, and a heart breaking super bowl beat down, I can survive a city move. 

Well, let's talk draft. Rank these players according to how much you'd like to see them play for the Chargers:
Jamal Adams, Jonathan Allen, Malik Hooker, Solomon Thomas, Mike Williams

Also, if the Chargers could move down 15 spots (with adequate compensation) and draft Mahones, would you want them to? Is there someone else you'd like to see them pick at #7 or trade down for?

Well, let's talk draft. Rank these players according to how much you'd like to see them play for the Chargers:
Jamal Adams, Jonathan Allen, Malik Hooker, Solomon Thomas, Mike Williams
IMO Williams shouldn't even be a consideration. Considering need by position, WR is at or near the very bottom for the Chargers. Unfortunately, they have a lot of needs: S, CB, DT, OL, DE, in roughly that order IMO.

Tough to rank the others properly. First off, you didn't mention CB Lattimore, but he should also be in consideration IMO. The Chargers need a 3rd CB better than Trevor Williams, Trovon Reed, or Craig Mager. Verrett has missed 50% of the team's games in his career, and Verrett's play also fell off considerably last season, something that was not talked about much. As of today, he will be a free agent after this season, and there is no guarantee the team will keep him.

I'd take Allen over Thomas because I think DT is a priority over DE. If Liuget doesn't improve significantly this season, he will likely be released next offseason, and Mebane is 32. Allen was the DPOY of college football last season and led all interior DL with 67 QB pressures. He would be an impact player even playing behind Mebane and Liuget as a rookie.

I'd rank these guys something like this:

1. Adams
  2. Hooker
  3. Allen
  4. Lattimore
  5. Thomas
  • Williams not on my board at #7
It is possible the decision will be made for the Chargers, based on which one of these defenders is left on the board at #7.

Also, if the Chargers could move down 15 spots (with adequate compensation) and draft Mahones, would you want them to? Is there someone else you'd like to see them pick at #7 or trade down for?
IMO the Chargers should not even consider drafting a QB in this draft, much less with a first round pick. Rivers is under contract for 3 more seasons, and there is no reason to expect he will not play them out and remain the starter in doing so. If he doesn't play in 2018, the team takes a $12M cap hit in dead money. If they release him after 2018, the team takes a $6M cap hit in dead money. If he were to play all 3 of those seasons, a rookie would not likely get on the field. Meaning a rookie drafted in this draft would be entering the final year of his contract in 2020, and he would not have proven himself in real NFL games. It is a year too early to draft a QB IMO.

Besides which, the Chargers have significant needs at S, CB, DT, DE, and OL. IMO this team cannot afford to use a pick within the first 3 rounds on any other positions. Even then, that means 2 of these positions won't be addressed until the 4th round or later, meaning they will likely remain issues going into the season.

For that reason, I think they should trade back if possible. Maybe with Arizona at #13 or Houston at #25, with both of those teams possibly motivated to move up to draft a QB.

Looking at this chart as an example, trading back from #7 to #13 might look like this: Chargers give 1st (#7) and 4th (#103) for Arizona 1st (#13) and 2nd (#45). That would be well worth it IMO.

Trading back to #25 is a bit dicier, as there is a general perception that there is a dropoff in talent in the first round after about 20 players come off the board. But it could look like this: Chargers give 1st (#7) for Houston 1st (#25), 2nd (#57), and 3rd (#89) plus next year's 2nd. That is a lot for Houston to give up, so they would really have to like a QB on the board.

I prefer the Arizona scenario, because it enables drafting considerably better players in the 1st and 2nd rounds. In that scenario, they should come out of the draft with a minimum of 3 starters/impact players. I'm not as confident of that in the Houston scenario.

7th worst record gets the 3rd toughest schedule (which doesn't even calculate all those east coast road trips). Somehow that doesn't seem right.
It is the price of playing in one of top divisions in the league, and being on the bottom of it, and happening to get matched against the AFC East and NFC East. There are only 2 games that fluctuate based on previous year's record, and the Chargers got JAX and CLE for those games.

Chargers not my team,49ers fan. Yeah pray for me,lol. Los Angles Super Chargers just doesn't sound as good as Berman's  San Diego Super Chargers. Not a fan of Span's either but he!s a tad better than having the dorks, I mEan Yorks. I am a big Rivers fan though. Had him in fantasy many times & felt he was overlooked a lot. That was to my benefit.

If the 49ers don't trade down you can,probably take Solomon Thomas off the list. They don't need Mike Williams. They need help in other areas. So I see Adams, Hooker, Allen & I too would throw in Lattimore as well. Two, at least, of these guys could be available for the Chargers and whoever they take with their 1st pick I don't think they can go wrong with any of the 5 listed, excluding Thomas (future 49er) & Williams, who I think would be a luxury pick they don't necessarily need. Just not a fan of the move to LA, but Spanos' money talked I guess.

I like the Chargers, so I hope the move to LA does them well. Probably won't know that for a couple of years. LA Chargers sounds better than the Las Vegas Raiders, ugh.

I am liking me some TE Hunter Henry this year. Keeping Gates for 1 more year might help Hunter & take some heat off him. I've done some early drafts on fleaflicker, yeah way to soon but we all know drafting is fun. I was able to wait and get Hunter late as my only TE on  15 player rosters. Chargers are gonna like this guy.

Anyway, I'll be rooting for Rivers, Gordon & Hunter this year. So I wish the Charger diehards well in their new digs but hope they continue to get good players & keep them. I'd like to see Rivers win a SB.

Good luck Chargers.

It is the price of playing in one of top divisions in the league, and being on the bottom of it, and happening to get matched against the AFC East and NFC East. There are only 2 games that fluctuate based on previous year's record, and the Chargers got JAX and CLE for those games.
I get how it works out, but it still doesn't make me happy. 

Chargers not my team,49ers fan. Yeah pray for me,lol. Los Angles Super Chargers just doesn't sound as good as Berman's  San Diego Super Chargers. Not a fan of Span's either but he!s a tad better than having the dorks, I mEan Yorks. I am a big Rivers fan though. Had him in fantasy many times & felt he was overlooked a lot. That was to my benefit.

If the 49ers don't trade down you can,probably take Solomon Thomas off the list. They don't need Mike Williams. They need help in other areas. So I see Adams, Hooker, Allen & I too would throw in Lattimore as well. Two, at least, of these guys could be available for the Chargers and whoever they take with their 1st pick I don't think they can go wrong with any of the 5 listed, excluding Thomas (future 49er) & Williams, who I think would be a luxury pick they don't necessarily need. Just not a fan of the move to LA, but Spanos' money talked I guess.

I like the Chargers, so I hope the move to LA does them well. Probably won't know that for a couple of years. LA Chargers sounds better than the Las Vegas Raiders, ugh.

I am liking me some TE Hunter Henry this year. Keeping Gates for 1 more year might help Hunter & take some heat off him. I've done some early drafts on fleaflicker, yeah way to soon but we all know drafting is fun. I was able to wait and get Hunter late as my only TE on  15 player rosters. Chargers are gonna like this guy.

Anyway, I'll be rooting for Rivers, Gordon & Hunter this year. So I wish the Charger diehards well in their new digs but hope they continue to get good players & keep them. I'd like to see Rivers win a SB.

Good luck Chargers.
If his name wasn't Antonio Gates, he would of been cut two years ago......Let Hunter Blossom.

My take on the team's ordered list of needs as of today:

1. FS - Need a player to upgrade Lowery ASAP and start no later than next season when Lowery should be gone. FS is supposedly an important position in Bradley's defensive scheme. Assuming Adams or Hooker are available at #7 and Telesco doesn't trade back, I think one of them is the likely pick.
  2. DT - As discussed, Mebane is 32 and Liuget will be released after this season if he doesn't improve substantially. Need to add an impact rotation player who can eventually start for one of them. This is the possible exception to drafting FS at #7. Telesco could go DT here and target a safety in the second round.
  3. CB - As discussed, Verrett has missed 50% of his career games, and his play dropped off a lot last year, even though that didn't get much notice in the media. This is the final year of his current contract, and there is no guarantee he will be back. Regardless, the Chargers need a better #3 CB than Williams/Reed/Mager, especially given how often Verrett has been hurt. I originally hoped Telesco would address this need via free agency, since it is tough to find a good CB without spending a high pick.
  4. OG - For now, we can hope that Tuerk will be worthy of starting, either at G or at C with Slauson moving to G. But Franklin probably won't be on the roster next season, and it isn't clear if Pulley or Clark is good enough to start. 
  5. OT - The Chargers don't have a long term starter at T on their roster right now. Okung's deal is effectively a 2 year deal, and Barksdale will be gone after 2017 if he doesn't rebound to his 2015 level of performance. Given the contracts in place for Okung and Barksdale, I could see waiting a year on this position.
  6. DE - Assuming the Chargers plan to let Ingram play this season under the franchise tag and then walk, they need a pass rusher opposite Bosa. But this can wait a year, assuming they draft an impact player at DT.
Given that list of needs, I don't see spending a pick within the first 5 rounds on RB, WR, or TE, which are all areas of relative strength, and no QB or LB should be drafted, period. This draft is supposed to be deep in talent at RB and TE, so I could see adding a player at one or both of those positions in the 6th or 7th or as UDFAs.

Assuming Telesco makes no trades, I'd like to see something like this:

• 1.7 (7) - FS Hooker - I assume Garrett, Adams, and Allen will be gone, and IMO those are the only 3 players to consider over Hooker
  • 2.7 (38) - DT Malik McDowell, Michigan State - here is a writeup on why the Chargers should take him in the first round
  • 3.7 (71) - CB Fabian Moreau, UCLA
  • 4.7 (113) - G Nico Siragusa, San Diego State
  • 5.7 (151) - NT/DT Stevie Tu'ikolovatu, USC
  • 6.7 (190) - OT Brad Seaton, Villanova
  • 7.7 (225) - RB Joe Williams, Utah
ETA: I based these picks on players available at each pick in this mock draft.

Best player available, regardless of position. D line, offensive line after that. I wouldn't mind seeing them doing some speculative QB drafting either outside the 1st round. This team isn't good enough to draft based on need.

Best player available, regardless of position. D line, offensive line after that. I wouldn't mind seeing them doing some speculative QB drafting either outside the 1st round. This team isn't good enough to draft based on need.
IMO it is rarely the case in at any given draft choice that there is truly a single, clear BPA. I think it tends to be that there is a group of players with similar grades, in which case it makes sense to consider need when choosing from that group of players.

IMO it is rarely the case in at any given draft choice that there is truly a single, clear BPA. I think it tends to be that there is a group of players with similar grades, in which case it makes sense to consider need when choosing from that group of players.
Agreed. Except for running back. They should never draft a running back in the 1st round again.

Chargers draft rumor mill

Per the article:

• If the Chargers stay at #7, their board is (1) Solomon Thomas, (2) unknown, (3) Mike Williams :thumbdown: , (4) unknown, (5) Malik Hooker, in that order.
  • The article rules out Adams and McCaffrey as being the unnamed players. It doesn't mention Garrett or Allen, and I would certainly hope both are in their top 5. It also doesn't mention Lattimore, who would seem to be another candidate.
  • The article says the Chargers have Peppers > Adams. :X  
  • Fortunately, the article says the Chargers have multiple offers to trade back, and the author believes they will do so and then target OL. That would be the best draft move Telesco has ever made. :thumbup:  

Here are some (of the worst) predictions for the Chargers at pick #7:

• Mel thinks they will go with Deshaun Watson.
  • The NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah and CBS' Will Brinson like Christian McCaffrey for that pick.
  • Albert Breer of MMQB picks Mike Williams.
Which of those selections would cause you the most disappointment?

Here are some (of the worst) predictions for the Chargers at pick #7:

• Mel thinks they will go with Deshaun Watson.
  • The NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah and CBS' Will Brinson like Christian McCaffrey for that pick.
  • Albert Breer of MMQB picks Mike Williams.
Which of those selections would cause you the most disappointment?
All of them would be poor picks IMO, but I'd rank them in this order, from most disappointing to less disappointing:

1. Watson - would be on the bench for 2-3 years; should be an upgrade on Clemens but that doesn't help the team in the short term
  2. Williams - would necessarily take snaps from Allen/Benjamin/Williams/Inman, but not enough gained there to make that worth the #7 pick
  3. McCaffrey - could at least fill the Woodhead role, return kicks, and could ultimately succeed Gordon if he plays well in 2017-18

Just Win Baby said:
  • Fortunately, the article says the Chargers have multiple offers to trade back, and the author believes they will do so and then target OL. That would be the best draft move Telesco has ever made. :thumbup:  
This needs to happen. It doesn't seem like there's an obvious superstar in this draft that will be there at 7, so what harm in moving back and acquiring more picks?

Users who are viewing this thread