What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DE Myles Garrett, CLE (1 Viewer)

The guy destroyed the combine and is easily worth the first pick. He's an even better athlete than people thought.

flapgreen said:
Only concern is his lack of production against top competition. 
And maybe his attitude..He runs funny as well. I was surprised by his time as it looks like he is fighting himself to run.

flapgreen said:
It would be interesting to see how many disruptions he caused on those plays where he did not get a sack.  Just disrupting and rushing a QB to throw sooner rather than later is a solid trait for a DE to have in his skillset.  

He'll go first overall, but I agree. Shocked that he had so few sacks this year and A&M has other good DL, so not as much like Clowney when he was doubled every single time his junior year. Maybe a bad example since it took Clowney 3 years to make an impact and even so, he's still not the dominating DE as you'd expect from #1 overall.

I think Garrett is a stud and the combine was ridiculous. Like Peppers who ran a 4.7 at 2 inches taller and 10 pounds more than Garrett. That was also in 2002 when I don't think the sports training/combine prep is anywhere near where it is today. I don't think I'd compare him to Peppers yet. Peppers was an unbelievable athlete. Amazing that he played two years on the UNC basketball team that went to the final four one year and got upset, but finished #6 the other year.

So glad Peppers is coming back for what is likely his final year. Also, so glad that a talent like Garrett is going to be stuck in Cleveland.

Wow, you are right. I clicked on Faust's Peppers comparison link and found this:

That's why I'm also worried about Garrett's overall sack production during his three seasons at Texas A&M, given that just 12 sacks came against SEC competition. In fact, he amassed 4.5 of his 8.5 sacks in 2016 against Texas-San Antonio and compiled another 11.5 of his career sacks against the likes of Rice (2014), Lamar (2014), Louisiana-Monroe (2014) and Nevada (2015). Over 50 percent (16 of 31) of his sack production was amassed against non-Power Five conference competition. While that might not seem like a big deal on the surface, it could suggest that Garrett isn't nearly as dominant as he appears on paper.
That's really surprising. That's 16 sacks in 5 games against scrubs and 15 sacks in 29 games against better competition. Heck, in 2016, 25% of his tackles, 50% of his Pass Defense, 50% of his Forced Fumbles and 53% of his sacks against Texas-San Antonio. Looks like he had a solid game against Alabama (7 tackles and 3.5 for losses) and two sacks against Auburn, but he was almost invisible the rest of the year (7 other games with 2 sacks and no more than 3 tackles).

Mary Kay Cabot of cleveland.com reports that Cleveland Browns HC Hue Jackson is "in the [Texas A&M edge rusher Myles] Garrett camp."

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported earlier this week that there was a "split" within the Browns regarding the No. 1 pick, with one faction on the team arguing for Garrett while the other faction favors UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky. Looks like Jackson is on the side of the slam dunk pick in Garrett. While this little Garrett/Trubisky rumor has understandably caused draft insiders to bubble with the excitement of the unknown, we still feel strongly that Garrett will -- and should be -- the first player selected on April 27.

Source: cleveland.com 
Apr 14 - 4:44 PM

Texas A&M edge rusher Myles Garrett admitted to "choking out" an LSU tight end during a game on Thanksgiving night.

When asked what was the meanest thing he'd ever done, Garrett responded: "Against LSU my last year, I choked out their tight end two times in a row." The interview responded "That’s pretty mean," to which Garrett laughed and said: "He had it coming. He just kept holding me, so I picked him up, put him on his back and then I grabbed his face mask and kept jamming his helmet into the ground. I said, 'I’m setting you straight right now. Don’t do illegal holds.'" NOLA.com investigated the tape and found that Garrett actually flattened two LSU tight ends, DeSean Smith and Foster Moreau.

Source: ESPN The Magazine 
Apr 18 - 2:43 PM

I think he's the easiest #1 pick in recent history,  I'd be shocked if he wasn't a perennial Pro Bowl player, possibly starting this year.

I think he's the easiest #1 pick in recent history,  I'd be shocked if he wasn't a perennial Pro Bowl player, possibly starting this year.
Clowney was an easy pick. I actually don't remember if Winston was an easy pick as he had some baggage and many of us really liked Mariota.  But luck was only 5 years ago.  To your point, yes Myles is an easy pick or should be anyway. But this is Cleveland. 

I'm the opposite.  After watching him for 3 years, I'm shocked that he might go #1.  Classic looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.  Hell of an athlete though.

Hall of Fame defensive lineman Warren Sapp doesn't believe Texas A&M DE Myles Garrett is worthy of being the No. 1 pick.

"I don't see it from this kid," Sapp said. "I see the splash plays -- everybody gets those. Where's the game he took over? Where? Any defensive lineman who's the No. 1 pick, you turn up and you say, 'There it is!' This kid, no, I don't. I'm a pretty plain and frank guy, and I watch the tape and he disappears." Garrett is the odds-on favorite to go No. 1 to the Cleveland Browns on Thursday night. "I don't think this kid is as good as Courtney Brown, either," Sapp said, evoking Cleveland's No. 1 overall pick in the 2000 draft. Sapp believes Garrett's evaluation is based on his measurables, not his game. "I see a lazy kid that makes four plays a game," Sapp said. "This is the No. 1 guy? No, no, no. This ain't even close." We disagree with the idea that Garrett didn't heavily influence every game he played in at Texas A&M. Garrett posted 31 sacks and 47 TFL over 34 collegiate games despite consistent double-teams.

Source: ESPN 
Apr 23 - 1:40 PM

11-of-16 NFL scouts polled by the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel voted Texas A&M DE Myles Garrett the 2017 draft's top player.

LSU S Jamal Adams (2), Alabama LB Reuben Foster (1), Stanford DL Solomon Thomas (1), and Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon (1) split the remaining votes. When the scouts voted on the top pass rusher in the draft, Garrett again led the way with 12-of-16 mentions, while Alabama OLB Tim Williams drew two and aforementioned Thomas got the final two. We continue to not buy pre-draft reports that the Browns are considering taking Mitchell Trubisky over Garrett at No. 1 overall.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/mcginn/2017/04/23/ranking-nfl-draft-prospects-defensive-linemen/100738094/

Ranking the NFL draft prospects: Defensive linemen

Bob McGinn , Milwaukee Journal SentinelPublished 3:13 p.m. CT April 23, 2017 | Updated 22 hours ago

The Journal Sentinel’s Bob McGinn assesses the top defensive linemen in the NFL draft April 27-29. Included is each player’s height, weight, 40-yard time and projected round.

Defensive ends

1. MYLES GARRETT, Texas A&M  (6-4½, 270, 4.64, 1): “It’s a no-brainer,” said one scout. “If Cleveland doesn’t take him they should be kicked out of the league.” Third-year junior led the DEs in the vertical jump (41 inches), broad jump (10-8), bench press (33 reps) and Wonderlic intelligence test (31). “When that guy came down the assembly line it was a special day for the Almighty,” said another scout. “He was feeling real good about what he was doing. You do see some lapses but I do think he will live up to the A&M tradition of Von Miller. If Ziggy Ansah is a 5 on talent level, this guy’s a 6. We’re talking a whole different level.” Finished with 145 tackles (48 ½ for loss), 32 ½ sacks and seven forced fumbles. “Straight-laced,” said a third scout. “Well-liked. Motor doesn’t always run hot. Deep thinker. Into jazz.” From Arlington, Texas. “He leaves a lot to be desired,” a fourth scout said. “He’s a good athlete but there are stretches of him not being productive. He’s not really a tough guy. He’s a flash player. I don’t think he plays hard. He’s got burst and speed but I’d take (Joey) Bosa.”

RELATEDScouts rank Garrett best player regardless of position

Users who are viewing this thread