What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DE Myles Garrett, CLE (1 Viewer)

Appearing on the Dan Patrick Show Tuesday night, NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah said, "I haven't talked to one personnel guy that has an issue with Myles Garrett and his effort."
This has gotten some media attention in recent days, likely in a plot from some other team in trying to somehow scare the Browns off Garrett at No. 1 overall. But it's simply make believe, and world-class bonehead and ex-NFL Network "talent" Warren Sapp added fuel to it by calling Garrett out earlier this week for being "lazy". ESPN's Todd McShay ripped Sapp's evaluation on Tuesday, and some have even questioned if Sapp has ever even seen Garrett play a snap. We doubt it.

Source: Dan Patrick Show 
Apr 25 - 10:58 PM

Are people really putting any credence into something Warren Sapp said? Guy's an idiot.
Of course not, but I saw the same thing.  He takes plays off and is just not that good against the run.  Hes a good pass rusher, but I just can't believe that he is considered a no brainer #1 overall pick.  Where's the game that he took over?  Where's the dominance?  He keeps talking about punishing teams that pass on him.  Who did he "punish" in the SEC?  4.5 of his 8.5 sacks last year came against UTSA. 

psychobillies said:
Of course not, but I saw the same thing.  He takes plays off and is just not that good against the run.  Hes a good pass rusher, but I just can't believe that he is considered a no brainer #1 overall pick.  Where's the game that he took over?  Where's the dominance?  He keeps talking about punishing teams that pass on him.  Who did he "punish" in the SEC?  4.5 of his 8.5 sacks last year came against UTSA. 
Honestly I don't think Garrett would have been the first pick in any year since maybe 2008. 

Did they just go back to his high school competitors to find examples of dominance?   Really?  Hell, it might be worse than I thought.

@Andy Dufresne, I respect the hell out of your contributions to the board, especially at this time of year.  I know you're a big fan, what am I missing?
You are taking a strong stance against a guy while apparently acknowledging you don't know much about him. :confused:

I can make a prediction for you... dud on the Browns (I make this prediction regardless of player/position), stud on the 9ers.

You are taking a strong stance against a guy while apparently acknowledging you don't know much about him. :confused:

I can make a prediction for you... dud on the Browns (I make this prediction regardless of player/position), stud on the 9ers.
I wouldn't say I don't know much about him.  I watched a bunch if aTm' s big games.  In particular LSU, but also Bama, ole miss, Auburn.  Dude was practically a ghost for three years, and it wasn't because they schemed around him.  There were very few double or triple teams.  I acknowledge his incredible athleticism, but I just don't understand how he's the best player in this draft.  Andy is very articulate with his opinions so I thought he might clear it up for me.  That's all.

Did they just go back to his high school competitors to find examples of dominance?   Really?  Hell, it might be worse than I thought.

@Andy Dufresne, I respect the hell out of your contributions to the board, especially at this time of year.  I know you're a big fan, what am I missing?
All he needs to be #1 is the best player in the draft at one of the premium positions. Is he Clowney or Mario Williams or "fill in the blank". I dunno.

But from everything I've seen and everything I've read from people who know such things he's the obvious best player in this draft.

Who would you select over him? 

I wouldn't say I don't know much about him.  I watched a bunch if aTm' s big games.  In particular LSU, but also Bama, ole miss, Auburn.  Dude was practically a ghost for three years, and it wasn't because they schemed around him.  There were very few double or triple teams.  I acknowledge his incredible athleticism, but I just don't understand how he's the best player in this draft.  Andy is very articulate with his opinions so I thought he might clear it up for me.  That's all.
I watched a lot of him as well and happen to agree with this... which is weird, because he does flash brilliance and "looks the part".  Weird, very weird.

All he needs to be #1 is the best player in the draft at one of the premium positions. Is he Clowney or Mario Williams or "fill in the blank". I dunno.

But from everything I've seen and everything I've read from people who know such things he's the obvious best player in this draft.

Who would you select over him? 
Off the top of my head, I'd take Jonathan Allen, maybe Solomon Thomas.   I know safeties don't go #1, but Jamal Adams is probably the best player in the draft.  I'd take Trubisky over him. 

I am not pimping him or knocking him...he could be Courtney Brown or Von Miller...but after QB an edge rusher is probably the most important asset in the NFL...due to that guys who have potential getting to the QB are going to be valued that much more...right now Garrett looks the part...

Last edited by a moderator:
Off the top of my head, I'd take Jonathan Allen, maybe Solomon Thomas.   I know safeties don't go #1, but Jamal Adams is probably the best player in the draft.  I'd take Trubisky over him. 
Allen has health questions.

Trubisky has way more question marks as a QB than Garrett has as a DE.

I know safeties don't go #1, but Jamal Adams is probably the best player in the draft.
Another point I agree with - Adams may be the best player in this draft regardless of position.  Fournette and McCaffrey may be difference makers but I don't think there's a prospect in this draft that has such a high floor coupled with insane upside.  He is Landon Collins mixed with Honey Badger.

But there are fair points being made for Garrett.  He looks the part even though there are times he is "handled" by better competition.  He needs a good bit of talent around him to truly shine.  Which is why I think going to Cleveland, for him, is a risky proposition.  Is Ogbah any good on the other side?  Is Danny Shelton going to continue to improve?

I think you gotta just take the guy and surround him with talent.  

The Browns will select Texas A&M EDGE Myles Garrett with the No. 1 overall pick, according to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Cabot cites "multiple league sources." Rumors have swirled over the past 24 hours that the Browns would audible off Garrett to take UNC's Mitch Trubisky at No. 1. Numerous plugged-in draft writers (Mel Kiper, Todd McShay and Bob McGinn, to name three) predicted just that in their final mock drafts. While it might appear that cooler heads have prevailed here, Cabot wrote that "some [in the Browns' brass] have known for a while that Garrett was the pick." The Browns are currently trying to trade back into the top-10, from No. 12, to acquire Trubisky. Between the No. 33 overall pick (the first in Round 2) and three second-round picks in 2018, Cleveland has plenty of trade ammunition.

Source: Cleveland Plain-Dealer 
Apr 27 - 4:45 PM

https://twitter.com/ThomasG2308

Thomas George‏ @ThomasG2308  22m22 minutes ago

More

It's official - Browns have informed Myles Garrett he is the No.-1 pick. pic.twitter.com/m6e5SjIFft

https://twitter.com/DawgsByNature/status/857713130503319553

Dawgs By Nature‏ @DawgsByNature

Follow

More

Dawgs By Nature Retweeted Thomas George

Thomas George of SB Nation (in contact with Myles Garrett's agent earlier): #Browns have informed him he's the pick.
Dawgs By Nature added,

Thomas George @ThomasG2308
It's official - Browns have informed Myles Garrett he is the No.-1 pick.

As a Texans fan his tape reminds me of a poor mans Mario.   I would want no part of that.  Seems to be indifferent on the field. 

As a Texans fan his tape reminds me of a poor mans Mario.   I would want no part of that.  Seems to be indifferent on the field. 
That's actually a darn good call.  Lots of talent here but there's an element of being aloof, disinterested, indifferent and easily disappears if there are moderately adept pieces in place to stop him.

Browns Rookies Make Positive First Impression On Day 1 Of Minicamp

Excerpt:

– The No. 1 overall pick looked as quick as advertised. Myles Garrett is fast for a guy that is on the plus side of 270. Garrett’s instincts, athleticism and quickness were on display Friday as he looked as quick getting off at the snap as he did at Texas A&M. Aside from turning down a chance to go to a Cavs playoff game so he could work out at his hotel, Garrett was also last off the practice field as he and Larry Ogunjobi stayed behind to get in a little extra work before hitting the showers. Nothing but positives from Garrett on Day 1.

The Associated Press' Tom Withers reports No. 1 overall pick Myles Garrett will undergo "numerous tests" after re-injuring his left foot/ankle at Wednesday's minicamp practice.

It's the same ankle/foot that slowed Garrett as a college junior. The injury limited him at OTAs and was aggravated on Wednesday. "His reaction made me think it could be significant," Withers said of Garrett's injury. The aggravation occurred on a non-contact play, forcing Garrett to limp off the field.

Source: Tom Withers on Twitter

Jun 14 - 10:26 PM

Garrett was working with the backup defense during a two-minute drill. He got off the line quickly and beat the right tackle as he rushed quarterback Brock Osweiler. The play was whistled for a sack, but Garrett landed on his left foot after he had extended toward Osweiler.

He immediately went to the ground, kneeling with his head on the ground. Trainers checked him and he limped to the sidelines, where he again had his left foot checked without his shoe.

Garrett did not return to practice, and when coach Hue Jackson addressed the media after the session, he had no further information beyond saying Garrett was going to get it checked out. As of this morning the Browns haven’t provided an update.

The potentially good news is that Garrett did not leave the sideline, and that when practice moved inside due to lightning, Garrett limped there without aid. “I think that’s a good sign, you know?” Jackson asked rhetorically. “Hopefully everything’s OK. We know those things happen.”

http://deadspin.com/myles-garrett-is-still-hurt-1796126794

https://www.brownszone.com/?p=2422

Joe Thomas impressed by Myles Garrett in 1st matchup, says he has total package, potential to be elite pass rusher

BEREA — Joe Thomas ...

The ball got thrown and he sprinted down the field like 50 yards to chase the ball and he was faster than every other person on that field, including the cornerbacks,” Thomas said Thursday. “And that’s the moment when you’re like, ‘Wow, this guy’s really got something special’ and I think you’re going to see a lot of moments like that in the fall.”

The veteran won the early battles, including thwarting a bull rush in which Garrett put his helmet into Thomas’ chest and went nowhere. Garrett said Thomas whispered “nice try.”

... Garrett got the last laugh later in practice when he fired off the ball and turned the corner before Thomas could stop him. Quarterback Cody Kessler dumped the ball to running back Isaiah Crowell a nanosecond before Garrett arrived, but the momentum was too great and Kessler wound up on the ground.

Garrett isn’t a one-trick pony. He’s a 6-foot-4, 272-pound thoroughbred.

... “He’s pretty big,” Thomas said. “Usually guys that have his type of elite speed are more the 220-, 230-pound range and those guys are not as effective pass rushers usually because they’re not as powerful.

“But Myles is a powerful guy, so he’s got that total package of all the things you’re looking for when you’re looking for a pass rusher. The size, the speed, the quickness, the explosiveness.”

... Thomas named Dwight Freeney, DeMarcus Ware, Khalil Mack and Terrell Suggs as the best pass rushers he’s faced in his decade. He was asked if Garrett has the potential to join the group.

“Certainly Myles has the talent to be like in that category of player,” Thomas said. “But obviously as a rookie he’s got a lot of things to learn, he’s got to polish his game before he’s going to be on that level.

“But certainly when you just look at God-given ability and potential, there’s no reason that he couldn’t be an elite pass rusher.”

The Browns are making a lot of progress on D & Garrett will only help matters. Problem is Jackson screwed the pooch by naming Kizer the starter. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but that was an incredibly dumb decision, IMO.

Regardless if you're rebuilding, there's something to be said for winning games (or at least being more competitive) & gaining confidence as a team. Also, I'm afraid what chance Kizer had of developing into a legit NFL starter has been severely hampered by throwing him to the wolves too early. As I feared, he's already regressing.

I guess Kessler pissed off Jackson somehow because he's 3rd string which is ridiculous. What a mess.

The Browns are making a lot of progress on D & Garrett will only help matters. Problem is Jackson screwed the pooch by naming Kizer the starter. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but that was an incredibly dumb decision, IMO.

Regardless if you're rebuilding, there's something to be said for winning games (or at least being more competitive) & gaining confidence as a team. Also, I'm afraid what chance Kizer had of developing into a legit NFL starter has been severely hampered by throwing him to the wolves too early. As I feared, he's already regressing.

I guess Kessler pissed off Jackson somehow because he's 3rd string which is ridiculous. What a mess.
Browns are gonna draft their next QB in 2018

Kizer is cute, but they'd be stupid to think he is the answer. No issue with throwing him to the wolves to see what they have. 

Sorry to hi-jack ... not like anyone's taking about Miles anyways. 

Users who are viewing this thread