What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Saquon Barkley, PHI (2 Viewers)

The one yesterday was obvious as soon as he hit the 2nd level.  You knew nobody would catch him.  Had they fed him in close, he could have had 4-5 TDs yesterday.  

I hope he's fortunate enough to stay healthy.  So enjoyable to watch 
I doubt that. Their offensive line is HORRIBLE.

Looks like they are lined up for an early pick again next year. If they end up with their franchise QB next year, plus Barkley and Beckham, no one will criticize the decision to grab a once in a decade running back.  For all we know, Darnold, Allen, and Rosen might all peak at only a Mariota or Winston level.  Maybe the Giants didn't see anything that convinced them that any of the three were special talents.  Time will tell.  What isn't up for debate is the fact that unless they address that O-line, they could acquire Brady or Rodgers and they still won't be a good team. 

There's no way they go 3-13 again. They look bad now but their schedule really opens up in the 2nd half. This will be a 6-10 or 7-9 team.

I guess we'll see.  Dallas seems to be a 6-10 type team and they looked way better than the Giants last night. 6 sacks. This Giants line is historically bad.  One of the worst I've seen. 

While you are right their schedule does open up in the second half, there’s a good chance they start off 0-7
I was right about them improving in the second half of the year but wrong about them being haunted on their decision to draft Barkley and pass on a QB. I think it would be hard to argue they should've passed on Barkley for Darnold.

That being said, what exactly is their plan going to be for next year? They desperately need a QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
QB won't matter behind that line.
Of course it will. Eli is a statue. He needs a top OLine to succeed. There are plenty of mobile QBs who do fine behind horrible OLines. Watson is putting up great #s behind a horrible OLine and all world stud QB Patrick Mahomes doesn't have a great oline either.

Of course it will. Eli is a statue. He needs a top OLine to succeed. There are plenty of mobile QBs who do fine behind horrible OLines. Watson is putting up great #s behind a horrible OLine and all world stud QB Patrick Mahomes doesn't have a great oline either.
They have made some good in-season signings of Pulley and Brown, but they legit need to draft 2 more O-Line guys and maybe sign a 3rd (RT?) Then they need to decide whether to draft a QB or go after Teddy Bridgewater.

BTW, there is a massive difference in the Giants old Flowers/Omameh/Greco line and anything Mahomes or Watson had.

Agree with Barkley being the top back and amazing he is doing so much with so little help.

As for NYG, they should make OL top priority.  Give Barkley an OL and give Manning more time and this offense can be very good.  

Agree with Barkley being the top back and amazing he is doing so much with so little help.

As for NYG, they should make OL top priority.  Give Barkley an OL and give Manning more time and this offense can be very good.  
It's so little offensive line help, but they have a stud WR and a talented TE and a veteran Supe winning QB. That ain't chump change

So much love for this guy's game

The GMen should be doing whatever to ensure he's healthy for ten years

ffmail4me said:
I feel guilty for the trades I made to land the 1.1 last offseason. You couldn’t pay too much to land this Uber stud. 
Same here. I gave DJ and received the 1.01 AND the 2.01 (Kirk). I’ve made my fair share of bad trades, but that ain’t one of them.

Look at Gurley 2 years ago in a bad offense. He sucked. That's what Barkley is working with this year with a possible worse offensive line and he is the #2 overall RB.
When you need to point out that the offense was worse than normal, and also omit the other years of 1000+ 10+ production, i feel like its not a good argument.

The giants offensive firepower in saquons rookie year is light years ahead of where the rams were in his 2nd year. More talented playmakers at almost every position. If saquon is running against as many stacked boxes as gurley was in year 1 and 2, i will delete my account

When you need to point out that the offense was worse than normal, and also omit the other years of 1000+ 10+ production, i feel like its not a good argument.

The giants offensive firepower in saquons rookie year is light years ahead of where the rams were in his 2nd year. More talented playmakers at almost every position. If saquon is running against as many stacked boxes as gurley was in year 1 and 2, i will delete my account
Plus Barkley does not have Jeff Fisher as a coach.

Don't know how to check that stat. But this was posted a few days ago.

https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1071908603823419392

Don't know how to check that stat. But this was posted a few days ago.

https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1071908603823419392
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rushing/2018/all

You can compare the two here.

In 2016 TG3 was running into 8+ almost 26% of the time. in 2018 Saquon is at 21.5%.

Also, if you would like to compare the badness of the Olines, here are some stats you can toggle between 2016 and 2018 and see for yourself.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2016&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

The difference in QB helps a ton. As well as having some threat on the outside.

I think he'll be the number one RB next year. So versatile. 
Me and my son were watching random highlights on YouTube tonight and we stumbled on Saquon highlights from just the first half of this season.  My son made the comment that his 8 game highlight reel was many guys' whole career highlight reel and he's right!  If he stays healthy, I think we're going to witness one of the greatest RBs of all time when his career is complete.  He's just THAT dynamic.  If the general consensus is that players are bigger and faster these days, it can be argued that Saquon is a quicker/more powerful version of Barry Sanders.  He's damn fun to watch!

Saquon Barkley - RB -  Giants

Associated Press named Giants RB Saquon Barkley its 2018 Rookie of the Year.

This comes after Barkley already won the Pepsi ROY. He edged out Baker Mayfield, who finished with 22 votes. Barkley’s first-year stats were heavily volume-based but highly impressive, leading the NFL with 2,028 total yards and finishing second with 1,307 rushing. He had 91 catches as the go-to checkdown for Eli Manning. Barkley posted seven 100-yard games and 15 touchdowns, ranking behind only Todd Gurley and Alvin Kamara. He was a Pro Bowler and first-team All Pro as a 21-year-old rookie. Barkely’s workload may be scaled back if the Giants improve their pass offense, but he’s firmly established as one of the top backs in the league.

Feb 2 - 5:38 PM

Same here. I gave DJ and received the 1.01 AND the 2.01 (Kirk). I’ve made my fair share of bad trades, but that ain’t one of them.
I recall discussing that with you.

Much tougher call at the time than it looks right now.

I don't think either of us expected the Cardinals to be as bad as they were last year.

Maybe time to go back to the well and get DJ back at a discount if possible.

I recall discussing that with you.

Much tougher call at the time than it looks right now.

I don't think either of us expected the Cardinals to be as bad as they were last year.

Maybe time to go back to the well and get DJ back at a discount if possible.
Agreed - I remember that too. And, I live in AZ and love DJ, so that made it that much tougher.

Interesting thought about going back and getting DJ. Problem is, the guy who got him is also an AZ local so he will be hard to pry away. But, I'm going to give it some thought...

Shurmur won't rule out Barkley flying to the moon.

“I don’t know about more,” said Shurmur, skirting whether or not a larger role for Barkley was on tap. “He had a big load a year ago. It makes sense for us to hand him the ball, and we can throw it to him as well. He will be involved, for sure.”

Shurmur added that the Giants would like to spread the ball more than they did a season ago but maintained that the offense will run through Barkley, who does not appear in line to have his workload cut.

“I wouldn’t say manage [Barkley’s load], but we will try and spread the ball. We have other good players that should touch the ball as well,” Shurmur said.

Saquon Barkley expects another big workload in 2019.

Last year only Ezekiel Elliott saw a larger workload than Barkley, who logged an exhausting 352 touches as a rookie. With Odell Beckham gone and Eli Manning in steep decline, Barkley could see even more run in 2019. The reigning Rookie of the Year seems to welcome that possibility. "I don’t think any number is too high for me," said the former No. 2 pick. "Whether it’s 350 touches, 400 touches or less touches, whatever I have to do to have this team compete for a championship, I’m going to do." That kind of volume could put Barkley at greater injury risk, though the 22-year-old still figures to be the top pick in most fantasy drafts this summer.

SOURCE: Denver Post

Jun 2, 2019, 12:58 PM ET

Jordan Raanan @JordanRaanan

Sunday was the Saquon Barkley show. Giants LBs + safeties couldn’t cover him. Caught four passes. Looked shifty and smooth. Going to be a beast in run + pass game this year. 400 touches. ✅ #giants
Amazing Barkley is still Amazing. In other news water is still wet.

Saquon Barkley rushed 11 times for 120 yards in the Giants' Week 1 loss against the Cowboys.

Barkley also caught 4-of-6 targets for an additional 19-scoreless yards. He looked as good as ever with the ball in his hands, ripping off a 59-yard run on his first carry of the season and regularly breaking tackles. It seems unlikely he'll get just 11 carries in future weeks, but the Giants' status as one of the league's worst teams certainly won't provide positive game script situations on a consistent basis. Fire Barkley up as a top-four option in Week 2 against the Bills.

Sep 8, 2019, 7:56 PM ET

Pretty stupid how sparingly they used their most explosive weapon in the passing game, playing from behind all night, when he was ripping off chunks of yardage at every opportunity on the ground. 

Should have had a 25-30 point game, you'd think. Looked good though.

Best running back in football. His only “weakness” is that he doesn’t seem to want to take on heavy contact but that could be a symptom of the Giants O-line. 

He was the most athletic player on the field yesterday. 

Pretty stupid how sparingly they used their most explosive weapon in the passing game, playing from behind all night, when he was ripping off chunks of yardage at every opportunity on the ground. 

Should have had a 25-30 point game, you'd think. Looked good though.
Giants play calling remains brutally bad. What an awful team. 3rd and 1, 4th and 1, let’s have mobile Eli roll out of the pocket and throw. Let’s give it to Eli Penny (??!?). 

Criminal. 

He drives all the way down field. One yard line, they pass to Engram...

Every other starter is in at the end, but Barkley... touchdown Gallman.

Wtf..

The only thing I can think of is the need to “prop up” Manning. Make sure he is still the focus and the star, call plays for him, etc.

Or just gross incompetence, which doesn’t seem likely from Shurmur, tbh. 

But being forced by management to keep Manning involved/in charge/etc? I could see that. 

Or just limiting his touches to a ridiculous, team hurting degree?

Giants play calling remains brutally bad. What an awful team. 3rd and 1, 4th and 1, let’s have mobile Eli roll out of the pocket and throw. Let’s give it to Eli Penny (??!?). 

Criminal. 
It's really funny to watch though!   Not sure which is slower when Eli leaves the pocket, his feet or his brain.  

Users who are viewing this thread