What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Saquon Barkley, PHI (2 Viewers)

Hit in the upper leg, leg seemed to twist as he fell, immediately reached but tried to get up. Couldn't walk without help.  Best case ankle, but he was hobbled pretty good as he got helped to the locker room. 

Edit - they just said questionable to return (ankle)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I'm thinking. Not the end of the world if that's it but he would probably be out 4 weeks.
It's a bigger deal for a guy like Saquon whose best asset is his burst and cutting ability.  If it's a high ankles sprain that will likely have a large effect on that for a long time, possibly the rest of the year.

I would like to invite fellow Barkley owners to kissing their season goodbye. I really hate fantasy football. I cut from 4 to 2 teams this year, will be 2 to 0 next year.
Try having him and Tyreek! Needless to say, I'm throwing in the towel for this year. Time to start planning for 2020... :lmao:

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
1m
Giants diagnosed RB Saquon Barkley with a high ankle sprain and he is scheduled to undergo an MRI on Monday, per source.

Did you miss the quote above? Crutches and a walking boot.
Did you miss the "Dr." in @Dr. Dan's name?

Obviously no one knows until we know, and agree the crutches isn't a good sign, but let's wait until we hear more about the nature of the injury before we declare a season is over. 

And let's absolutely give credit where credit is due, @Dr. Dan has had some really helpful insight on injuries here on this board.

If I was the giants, I would wrap him in bubble wrap and bean bag chairs, let alone crutches and a boot. Point is, take every precaution, wait to see what x-ray/MRIs can show. 

Did you miss the "Dr." in @Dr. Dan's name?

Obviously no one knows until we know, and agree the crutches isn't a good sign, but let's wait until we hear more about the nature of the injury before we declare a season is over. 

And let's absolutely give credit where credit is due, @Dr. Dan has had some really helpful insight on injuries here on this board.

If I was the giants, I would wrap him in bubble wrap and bean bag chairs, let alone crutches and a boot. Point is, take every precaution, wait to see what x-ray/MRIs can show. 
Dr. D, be on his game foreal!!!!!

Tex

Did you miss the quote above? Crutches and a walking boot.
That means nothing. It means they are being protective until they get more of a for sure diagnosis. 

I could see it being a 1 week thing if it is just a sprain, but I wouldn't expect him to be out very long in general. All depends on the severity of the sprain 

Buy window?  I'd like to have him in every dynasty league... 

If there is any chance of rushing back causing anything long term I'd prefer he be out for the season. 

I always think of Roddy White and that high ankle sprain he played through that basically ended his career. 

That means nothing. It means they are being protective until they get more of a for sure diagnosis. 

I could see it being a 1 week thing if it is just a sprain, but I wouldn't expect him to be out very long in general. All depends on the severity of the sprain 
Location, location, location

This. I've never heard of a minor high ankle sprain.
Thats odd. All sprains can be minor or major. The reason high ankle sprains typically mean a worse injury is because of the amount of tissue injured in the area. 

Its all about the severity. It didnt look good when it happened though 

If it's a high ankle sprain, week 7 is probably a best case scenario.

Believe week 6 is a Thursday night game so a short turn around there.

Crossing fingers Barkley is just one of those freaks like AP who have serious healing powers and he misses only a week.

It's a bigger deal for a guy like Saquon whose best asset is his burst and cutting ability.  If it's a high ankles sprain that will likely have a large effect on that for a long time, possibly the rest of the year.
This. High ankle sprains are terrible for RBs. It seems like guys always try to come back after 2-4 weeks off and just aren't the same. I'm trying to think of the guys I've seen do it since I've been playing FF. I recall Ryan Mathews his rookie year and last year Royce Freeman, but there have been plenty of others. I've made it a habit of targeting players the year after high ankle sprains because they seem to always come back and look like garbage so everyone discounts them the following year. Royce is a good example - he was 4.4 ypc in 7 games before the injury and 3.6 afterwards and everyone wrote him off as a slow plodder. In three (mostly healthy) games this year, he's outpaced Lindsay on the ground in each game.

Personally, I'm hoping he sits out at least 4 weeks. If he rushes back, it'll be hard to not put him in the lineup, but I'd be braced for disappointment. 

How much are people bidding on Gallman?  He didn't look great vs TB, but TB has been decent against RBs this year (shut down CMac last week).  Do the Giants bring in another veteran RB like CJ Anderson?

He will come back when he is healthy, thats the target I would think if its 4 weeks or 8. 

To be honest, I'm not a doctor and we have all hurt our ankles, but 8 weeks? On an ankle sprain? Man, not in the old days.

This guy is never going to make it. Shys away from contact like Sean Alexander and the way he contorts his body will lend itself to unjury.

Don't get me wrong, I think hes is the best athlete in the NFL, I just don't see him playing more than a handful of injury riddled years. 

This guy is never going to make it. Shys away from contact like Sean Alexander and the way he contorts his body will lend itself to unjury.

Don't get me wrong, I think hes is the best athlete in the NFL, I just don't see him playing more than a handful of injury riddled years. 
Seems like a really odd take to me, both the alexander comment and the contorts his body comment.   Neither make any sense to me or I don't agree with that at all.

Seems like a really odd take to me, both the alexander comment and the contorts his body comment.   Neither make any sense to me or I don't agree with that at all.
Well lets discuss....

S. Alexander was a good back who didn't like putting his head down and churning for more yards. He was not a very good short yardage gainer. I see Barkley in a similar vein. Its just what I see when I watch him play. 

The contorts his body comment is that because Barkley is so athletic, the dude seemingly can change direction in mid-air. Barkley has been injured on two occasions that I'm aware of by leaving his feet and contorting his body and landed awkwardly. Last season vs the Cowboys on a TD run and yesterday.  

We don't have to agree. I put my flag in the ground. I don't think Barkley likes contact and I don't see him as an all-time back even though he does posses all-time talent. I still think he's probably the best athlete in the NFL and probably the closest thing to Barry Sanders so it isn't like I'm wearing my full Cowboys biased glasses.

I could be wrong and honestly, I hope I am. It would be fun to see him running all over the NFL for the next 10 years.

had a nasty HASP in my mid 20's ..... knee to toes purple and swollen  ..... couldn't walk on it for about a week -- walk pain free after 2 weeks -- took about 5 weeks before I was a weekend warrior again (basketball/ football/ softball) still had a little bit of "weakness" .... 2 months i was fine ....... obviously not a pro athlete (but obviously not pro athlete rehab & care though either)

week 12 Barkley should be back to being a beast

(anything before then is a bonus)

Interesting that they're saying 4-8 weeks when high ankle sprains are usually 4-6 weeks.  But the Giants have a week 11 bye which would be the 8th week.  Since the Giants aren't likely going to be fighting for the playoffs, a week 12 return is probably the most likely scenario.  No reason to rush your franchise player back for meaningless games.

A lot has changed since Grant Hill. 

Tex
Sure it has. And advancements allowed Grant Hill to play in the end. It's just that ankle injuries, not given enough time to heal, can have serious deleterious effects on one's career.

I highly doubt anybody wants to argue this.

Sometimes, trainers almost hope for a fracture so they can reset the bone. That's what I used to hear. I could be wrong about it being that extreme, but that this can linger, and if pushed, get worse, is largely not up for debate.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Well lets discuss....

S. Alexander was a good back who didn't like putting his head down and churning for more yards. He was not a very good short yardage gainer. I see Barkley in a similar vein. Its just what I see when I watch him play. 

So you're saying the guy who, in consecutive years, scored 14, 16, 14, 16, 27 TD's, wasn't a good short yardage back? I haven't looked up efficiency or any stats, but I do remember him being an absolute beast around the goalline. 

Do you have some stats to support that statement? I'd be really interested to see them.

Users who are viewing this thread