Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Saquon Barkley, N.Y. Giants

1 minute ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Hadn't this dude played all 57 games of his college/pro career prior to spraining his ankle in his 5th year as a starter at both levels?

I get the logic, but that logic gets literally applied to every running style and every body type and I think it's all just a bunch of logical fallacies.  If a guy cuts a lot then he's going to get hurt cutting.  If a guy doesn't cut and contort a lot then he's a target that is going to take too many big hits.  If a guy is tall then he is going to be too vulnerable and get injured.  If he's stout then he's too small and is going to get crushed.

In practice, Barkley has been about as durable as is humanly possible for a running back.  Christian McCaffrey may be the only RB in the entire NFL who has been more durable through his college/pro career so far.

He has his Giants hating goggles on

On 9/25/2019 at 7:56 AM, tackle for loss said:

8 weeks and after bye when he is getting a 2nd opinion to see if he can come back even quicker? 

The second opinion was to whether he needed surgery or not.

4 hours ago, tjnc09 said:

lol a guy who gets tackled 20+ times a game is bound to get injured.  It's hilarious how you didn't make this prediction last year watching all his acrobatics and started all 16 games.

4 hours ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Hadn't this dude played all 57 games of his college/pro career prior to spraining his ankle in his 5th year as a starter at both levels?

I get the logic, but that logic gets literally applied to every running style and every body type and I think it's all just a bunch of logical fallacies.  If a guy cuts a lot then he's going to get hurt cutting.  If a guy doesn't cut and contort a lot then he's a target that is going to take too many big hits.  If a guy is tall then he is going to be too vulnerable and get injured.  If he's stout then he's too small and is going to get crushed.

In practice, Barkley has been about as durable as is humanly possible for a running back.  Christian McCaffrey may be the only RB in the entire NFL who has been more durable through his college/pro career so far.

This season he's out 6-8 weeks for an ankle injury.

Last season he left the Cowboys game with....an ankle injury. 

I found this info online: 

DateLeagueInjuryDetails

Aug 13, 2018NFLThigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1Barkley was hurt in camp while running a pass route. He missed 8 days but was ready for Week 1.

Nov 26, 2016Non-NFLPedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1Barkley injured his right ankle in the 3rd quarter vs. Michigan State but was able to play the following week.

Sep 26, 2015Non-NFLPedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2Barkley missed 2 games as a freshman with an ankle injury.

So no, I'm not making this up as I go. 

4 hours ago, Johnny B. Goode said:

He has his Giants hating goggles on

So I said the guy is the best RB in the league and closet thing to Barry Sanders since Barry Sanders and Im "hating".

I'm an adult, I don't "hate". Somewhere int he past 10-15 years - if you disagree with somebody it's "hating".

It's called having a different opinion than you have. 

41 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

This season he's out 6-8 weeks for an ankle injury.

Last season he left the Cowboys game with....an ankle injury. 

I found this info online: 

So no, I'm not making this up as I go. 

:lmao: the guy had 773 touches in college and he only missed two games.  

1 hour ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

So I said the guy is the best RB in the league and closet thing to Barry Sanders since Barry Sanders and Im "hating".

I'm an adult, I don't "hate". Somewhere int he past 10-15 years - if you disagree with somebody it's "hating".

It's called having a different opinion than you have. 

often your crowd accuses eagle fans of having hater goggles on. just returning the favor, even though im.not an eaglea fan

57 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

Most great backs don’t miss a lot of time in college. Obviously the NFL is a different animal. 

Hey man. You don’t have to like my opinion. I hope I’m wrong. I don’t think I will be but this thread will be here for you. 

On 9/24/2019 at 5:06 PM, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Barkley is supremely athletic and an amazing talent however the way he throws his body around on the field in acrobatic maneuvers lends itself to injury.

and he shies away from contact right?  While throwing his body around the field acrobatically?

12 minutes ago, joffer said:

and he shies away from contact right?  While throwing his body around the field acrobatically?

Yeah man. That’s what I said. 

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22

Saquon is the best.  I succeeded in buying him in one league (not cheaply) and am trying in all others.  I want 100 percent dynasty ownership.  Saquon is the best RB i have seen since Barry Sanders.  If anyone is selling now, I am buying all day. 

Edited by kittenmittens
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, tjnc09 said:

And the TWO games he missed were due to a high ankle sprain.....

According to NFL Network's Kimberly Jones, Saquon Barkley (ankle) is "already telling people" he plans to beat his projected 4-8 week timetable.

He went down with a high-ankle sprain in Week 3, an injury that usually carries a 1-2 month recovery. Barkley is confident he'll make it back sooner than that, though ultimately that decision won't be up to him as the Giants' training staff will make sure he's being "cautious enough" in his rehab. In the absence of a trade or free-agent signing (former Dolphins 1,000-yard rusher Jay Ajayi is reportedly looking for an opportunity), Wayne Gallman will serve as New York's bell-cow in Barkley's stead.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 29, 2019, 9:56 AM ET

Just a reminder for those losing their mind over Barkley injury history. Football players get hurt. Some "more than others" and Barkley is not a "more than others" category. That is all.

Relax, we are not at Ryan Matthews injury level yet.

4 weeks is my belief but 8? Never and 6 will even be pushing it. If the Giants win today, that will be a big push since the Eagles are even 2-2. 

This is what I feared during the Gallman Jr. waiver craziness. Barkley's X-gene is going to kick in and he'll be back in 4-5 weeks. He's already done it before.

15 minutes ago, tackle for loss said:

Just a reminder for those losing their mind over Barkley injury history. Football players get hurt. Some "more than others" and Barkley is not a "more than others" category. That is all.

Relax, we are not at Ryan Matthews injury level yet.

4 weeks is my belief but 8? Never and 6 will even be pushing it. If the Giants win today, that will be a big push since the Eagles are even 2-2. 

Yep, RBs are the most injured position in football.  

1 minute ago, tjnc09 said:

Not what I said... but some RBs are better than others and worth the risk and price of injury.

Wait, I just went back and looked at your posts, a little bit of a agenda with you in here. 

54 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

That isn’t remotely true

Saquon Barkley was without a walking boot on his sprained ankle after the Giants' 24-3 win over the Washington Redskins on Sunday.

From the home locker room at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, he told reporters -- including SNY's Ralph Vacchiano -- that the hope was for him to make a miracle comeback and beat the projected timeframe of 5-7 weeks.

Barkley plans to take things day by day. The Giants continue their regular-season schedule at home next Sunday when they host the Minnesota Vikings in Week 5.

Already off the boot after a week.

Edited by The Frankman

39 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

Already off the boot after a week.

The young man should wear the boot and get well. Giants aren't going anywhere with that secondary, really.

• Like 1

High ankle Sprains are rarely 8 week injuries. He'll be back after 4. Unlike the giants though im 0-2 without him. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

High ankle Sprains are rarely 8 week injuries. He'll be back after 4. Unlike the giants though im 0-2 without him. 

people in here over react to a high ankle sprain. I have to hope it's because they don't understand what it actually is. The docs give a time table because they have to. However, the healing portion  is done at 2 weeks for the vast majority of soft tissue injuries, so any time missed beyond that is a range of motion, strength, pain/swelling thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rockaction said:

The young man should wear the boot and get well. Giants aren't going anywhere with that secondary, really.

this is actually a good thing for him to get well. walking boots are not your friend (unless you are friends with Walking Boot lol)

• Thanks 2

Anyone selling in dynasty after a slow start?

I'm hoping to turn Gurley and friends into Saquon

3 minutes ago, jm192 said:

Not a chance. He got hurt. It happens.

Now that the Giants actually have a competent QB, I’m holding on tight to Barkley.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jm192 said:

A slow start? Lol c’mon man. 

2 hours ago, jm192 said:

I bought in one league for a fair price and was rebuffed without counter in all others. 

Mike Evans plus James Conner and a 2nd got rejected. 

Diggs plus Mack plus a 2nd was rejected. 

Chubb plus Fuller plus Teddy B was accepted. 

All leagues are superflex

1 hour ago, Ray Barboni said:

A slow start? Lol c’mon man. 

For their team, not Barkley.  I'm sure if a lot of people are 1-3 or 0-4 they're looking more to the future, but I would think there are some that still like their team enough to try to go for it this year.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

I'll say it and say it, the fact 8 weeks was ever mentioned for a HAS was and continues to be laughable.

Its always been a 4-6 week timetable with 6 being extreme, but why was it a 4-8 with the risk of people saying IR and return date after a bye? No way a guy already jogging had an injury so severe after two tests was that even a possibility. 

He may make it back for the Detroit game. Arizona would be pushing it. 

That was just a bad report put out by Schefter. . 

Posted (edited)

6-8 weeks turned into 3-4 weeks after he realized he was playing with Danny Dimes and not Eli

'@NE on a Thursday night next week would be really stupid, but this is also the Giants organization.  AZ might now be a possibility.

Edited by tjnc09
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Posted (edited)

but but but... high ankle sprain

Glad to have a platform like this where you can get alternative opinions rather than just trusting one source.

Edited by Dr. Dan

It's more his freakish recovery ability. As it has already been said, he's had a similar timeline where he beat it early.

Coach Pat Shurmur refused to rule Saquon Barkley (ankle) out for Week 5 against the Vikings.

We'd bet Barkley doesn't play, but Week 6 seems to be within the realm of possibilities for a return. Barkley was off to the side jogging and working with trainers at Wednesday's practice. When asked about Barkley, Shurmur said, "Some people’s doctor’s had him at eight weeks. Not my doctors." Expect Wayne Gallman to get the nod against the Vikings.

SOURCE: Pat Leonard on Twitter

Oct 2, 2019, 1:06 PM ET

As a Barkley owner that suffered from chronic ankle sprains throughout my career I would rather him just take the extra time and make sure that ankle is completely healed.  Rushing back on a HAS is a great way to turn a one-off injury into a chronic problem, and Barkley is very dependent on his ankles.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

As a Barkley owner that suffered from chronic ankle sprains throughout my career I would rather him just take the extra time and make sure that ankle is completely healed.  Rushing back on a HAS is a great way to turn a one-off injury into a chronic problem, and Barkley is very dependent on his ankles.

Maybe it really wasn't a high ankle sprain to begin with.

Gotta think this GM is very, very eager to see his prized QB draft pick on the field with a full compliment of WRs (including G. Tate), Engram, and of course, S. Barkley.

Sooner rather than later to get the fan base excited.

2 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Maybe it really wasn't a high ankle sprain to begin with.

Gotta think this GM is very, very eager to see his prized QB draft pick on the field with a full compliment of WRs (including G. Tate), Engram, and of course, S. Barkley.

Sooner rather than later to get the fan base excited.

The fan base is already excited.  DJ brought hope back.

this is very good news, hold him out one more week then back to business

As a Barkley owner who somehow finds myself sitting at 3-1 without him for the last 2 games, I was really hoping he wouldn't try to push to hard to come back sooner than when his ankle is fully healed.  The injury didn't look horrible, but I was convinced he'd be out for at least 4 weeks.  Maybe he's just superhuman though. 

13 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

this is very good news, hold him out one more week then back to business

They play Thursday next week so I think he misses two more games and then faces Arizona.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

They play Thursday next week so I think he misses two more games and then faces Arizona.

This. I actually think they might just hold him out the next week too so he could hit the minimum of his projection.

1 hour ago, FreeBaGeL said:

You aren't a world class athlete 

3 hours ago, The Frankman said:

It's more his freakish recovery ability. As it has already been said, he's had a similar timeline where he beat it early.

Ya that was me....he had an HAS freshman year in college and missed 2 games.

Posted (edited)

We have to stop assuming all humans heal the same way. He is a freak of nature. We have to stop assuming teams play safe with players in a what have you done for me lately league. 

With all dude respect, thats now how it works and its not how it has worked in quite some time. There is one team like that, they are the Packers. 

I hurt my ankle and it takes me 2 weeks to walks right, and I am not a world class athlete. I was running after 4 weeks and it was pretty severe with a trip to ER and all as I thought it was broke. Athletes with top notch doctors and boots and technology and all those things are not normal. Yet here we are in this thread, people opinions were after the bye.

I encourage everyone to look back and see who said that stuff and ignore them on all thing injury related from now on. In a video it shows barkley dancing at the end of it. He is fine and he is back, he will play against NE. Why sit him for 10 more days if he is able to run and cut in uniform? Makes no sense. I think its better than 50/50 he might play this week.

Like Shumer said, his doctors are not here on the internet playing safe. Again, he was dancing in the video after running and cutting. They gonna sit him cuz why? They are 2-2.

Edited by tackle for loss
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I feel so bad for the dude who drafted him first overall in my league... and traded him for Sony Michel, thinking he'd be out 6-8 weeks (rest of the fantasy regular season).

Edited by The Frankman

59 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

I feel so bad for the dude who drafted him first overall in my league... and traded him for Sony Michel, thinking he'd be out 6-8 weeks (rest of the fantasy regular season).

That owner got fleeced and he deserves it.

1 hour ago, The Frankman said:

Yea ... that guy deserves what he got. I was able to work a package deal, giving Saquon and getting Dalvin. 

But backed out because I managed to keep winning. 

Now that he seems to be ahead of schedule, I’m holding.