What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Saquon Barkley, PHI (1 Viewer)

Watched all the clips. 

If he had a HAS and he's moving around like that already...simply amazing.

If he is running like that he did not tear ligaments - that takes months and surgery to heal.  I actually do know that story - it took me 8 months.

If he got tweaked the same way again it would probably hurt like hell but that's about it.  That said - do defenders target the ankle and twist it while tackling? 

I suspect that is one of the unspoken rules to not do or we would see lots of broken fingers and what not?
What the heck?

Unless it's crazy severe, a couple days after a sprained ankle you can run around on it and cut on it.  It just gets sore a lot faster and you are way way way way way way way way way way more likely to roll it again and have to start over.

Heck when I was playing basketball in high school I would sometimes play games ONE DAY after a sprained ankle (albeit not a HAS), purple bruised foot/ankle and all.  It just meant that ankle bothered me and wasn't fully healthy for the whole season instead of how it would have been had it truly been allowed time to heal all the way, and I was a heck of a lot less reliant on my ankle flexibility than Saquon is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll say it and say it, the fact 8 weeks was ever mentioned for a HAS was and continues to be laughable.
The Giants having a bye week in the 7th week of his return timetable probably had a lot to do with the possibility of his being out 8 weeks.  Also, they were probably assuming that the Giants would have a bad record when he was ready to return.  As a Saquon owner, I am overjoyed that the Giants are 2-2 and that Saquon's games are going to matter.

Saquon Barkley (ankle) remained sidelined at Thursday's practice.

Barkley is much further along in his recovery from a high-ankle sprain than any of us anticipated, leading to speculation he could return as soon as this week. While anything is possible with a freak of nature like Barkley, ultimately we'd be stunned to see him in uniform Sunday against the Vikings. Assuming that's the case, Wayne Gallman would again serve as New York's workhorse, just as he did a week ago in a win over Washington.

SOURCE: Pat Leonard on Twitter

Oct 3, 2019, 1:39 PM ET

Tom Rock

@TomRock_Newsday

Saquon was asked if he is surprised how quickly he's been able to move thru the recovery process: "Does it surprise y’all? Me personally, I feel like a lot of it is mental, how I approach it. I told you guys that the same way I attack the field and attack the weight room I’m going to attack the training room and attack recovery and rehab. And I think I’ve been doing that."

Paul Schwartz

@NYPost_Schwartz

Saquon Barkley (ankle) did not practice today. He says he will do everything he can to get himself ready to play Sunday vs. Vikings. Highly, highly unlikely he gets clearance to play.

Jordan Raanan

@JordanRaanan

Saquon Barkley says he got to do a little more Thursday. "Felt good." He got to open up, run full speed and cut more. Was evasive on timeframe and how close he was to returning.

Tom Rock

@TomRock_Newsday

Saquon on his second opinion: "I wouldn’t say the advice was the same but one saw me a little earlier than the other so I think you probably got to see two different types of ankles at that point." O'Malley saw him last Monday. Anderson saw him abt 48 hrs later, last Wednesday.

Put me in that he should wait group.

Tex
Me, also. Only league I have him is a contender. Last year's playoff hopes died when Wentz & OBJ missed FF playoffs. Missing games now is far less damaging than a re-aggravated injury that affects FF playoff availability/effectiveness.

I could care less what projections a team would give. it's all a mute point when all injuries are different. If you're waiting with baited breath for whats said on twitter you're doing it wrong. 

Everyone looks for the escape goat when guys dont come back soon enough, so I think teams just over estimate injury returns. For all intensive purposes these timelines are buy in large wrong anyways, I dont know why so many people are surprised when a guy comes back sooner. this all leads to a damp squid in the end. We would all have piece of mind if we just nipped this in the butt. 
This is amazing. 

FreeBaGeL said:
What the heck?

Unless it's crazy severe, a couple days after a sprained ankle you can run around on it and cut on it.  It just gets sore a lot faster and you are way way way way way way way way way way more likely to roll it again and have to start over.

Heck when I was playing basketball in high school I would sometimes play games ONE DAY after a sprained ankle (albeit not a HAS), purple bruised foot/ankle and all.  It just meant that ankle bothered me and wasn't fully healthy for the whole season instead of how it would have been had it truly been allowed time to heal all the way, and I was a heck of a lot less reliant on my ankle flexibility than Saquon is.
They will tape or brace it. 

It's just a pain issue. which is why I said back 2 or 3 pages- no need to panic, this could be a 1 week thing. 

FreeBaGeL said:
What the heck?

All sprained ankles are stretched/partially torn ligaments.  Various degrees of severity, pain tolerance, and mental toughness.  All of us and our personal experiences also have various degrees and are meaningless.  My wife and I are ex college athletes and often laugh at what others consider "injured" or what a "work out" means.   It's all relative to your experience and perspective.

According to Ian Rapoport and Kim Jones of NFL Network, a Week 6 return is "in view" for Saquon Barkley (ankle).

Barkley is just two weeks removed from suffering a high-ankle sprain, an injury that usually carries a 6-8 week timetable. But there's nothing "usual" about a physical freak like Barkley, whose warp-speed recovery has been almost unprecedented. Nike Senior Director of Performance Ryan Flaherty, who works closely with Barkley, believes the stud sophomore would have been available for Week 5 had it been a playoff game. Barkley resumed practicing on a limited basis Friday in hopes of returning for next week's Thursday night showdown with New England. "I think so," said Barkley when asked if he'd be ready for Week 6. "Just continue to attack rehab in the right way and when it's meant to be, it's meant to be." With Saquon on the mend, it looks like Wayne Gallman's window of opportunity is about to close.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Oct 6, 2019, 9:08 AM ET

I don't know where they are getting that it usually carries a 6-8 week timetable. I mean, it usually takes 4-6 weeks before players start to look like themselves again, but I can't remember a single instance of players actually missing 4-6 games, much less 6-8 games. I'm sure there are a lot more examples, but just off the top of my head:

• Ryan Mathews - 2010, missed one week
  • CJ Spiller - 2013, missed one week
  • Royce Freeman - 2018, missed three weeks (including bye, so only 2 games)
Those are the only three RBs I can remember offhand, but out of those three injuries, only 4 games were missed. So all this 6-8 week talk is just hype for the sake of clickbait, I suspect. I'm still wary of any player's first games back when they don't take at least 4 weeks off, but acting like this is some miracle that he's able to return earlier than 6-8 weeks is just silly.

I don't know where they are getting that it usually carries a 6-8 week timetable. I mean, it usually takes 4-6 weeks before players start to look like themselves again, but I can't remember a single instance of players actually missing 4-6 games, much less 6-8 games. I'm sure there are a lot more examples, but just off the top of my head:

• Ryan Mathews - 2010, missed one week
  • CJ Spiller - 2013, missed one week
  • Royce Freeman - 2018, missed three weeks (including bye, so only 2 games)
Those are the only three RBs I can remember offhand, but out of those three injuries, only 4 games were missed. So all this 6-8 week talk is just hype for the sake of clickbait, I suspect. I'm still wary of any player's first games back when they don't take at least 4 weeks off, but acting like this is some miracle that he's able to return earlier than 6-8 weeks is just silly.
Yep Tevin Coleman missed 4 weeks this year but yes I agree with you. The original timeline made no sense.

Coach Pat Shurmur said "there is a possibility" Saquon Barkley (ankle) can play Thursday night against the Patriots.

Barkley was listed as a limited participant on the Giants' estimated practice report Monday. Reports have indicated that Thursday night is indeed a possible return date, although the potential absences of Sterling Shepard (concussion), Wayne Gallman (concussion) and Evan Engram (knee) wouldn't exactly give Barkley much of a chance to ease his way back into things. Regardless, the Giants' superhuman RB would resume his status as a high-end RB1 if active Thursday night.

SOURCE: Jordan Raanan on Twitter.

Oct 7, 2019, 5:36 PM ET

Is Hillman worth getting off waivers for this game?  Tough matchup.  Probably only contributes in this one game.  What are other Barkley owners thinking?

Early in the week and things may change after today's practice, but it looks like Giants may hold him out. For all intents and purposes Barkley looks good to go but with a skeleton crew out there this week on O (Engram, Gallman Jr. AND Sheperd OUT) Giants gonna waive the TNF white flag.

Ok, lets get some perspective back here. I have said it again and again, why are fantasy owners who need points asking for him to sit? He can get hurt if he is totally healthy like we have already seen. Football players get hurt, if he can play, you play him. 

We all saw the video, he is healthy. He is a super stud, but you want him to sit? To get extra rest? lol He is healthy, and is capable of putting teams on his back as a freak of nature.

I never understand this logic, maybe Im in the minority, but if he can play...play! He looks like he can play when cameras are around and it appears most agree with that. 

People never learn. The same people saying sit him are the ones who thought he would be out 8 weeks. 

Ok, lets get some perspective back here. I have said it again and again, why are fantasy owners who need points asking for him to sit? He can get hurt if he is totally healthy like we have already seen. Football players get hurt, if he can play, you play him. 

We all saw the video, he is healthy. He is a super stud, but you want him to sit? To get extra rest? lol He is healthy, and is capable of putting teams on his back as a freak of nature.

I never understand this logic, maybe Im in the minority, but if he can play...play! He looks like he can play when cameras are around and it appears most agree with that. 

People never learn. The same people saying sit him are the ones who thought he would be out 8 weeks. 
No, people just think they know better because they stayed at a holiday inn express. 

Sitting a short time longer is likely NOT correlated with better health long term. Healing phase is done at 2 weeks. There is no more tissue repair to happen wr that point- what is going to heal is healed.

Activity after those 2 weeks is actually better long term than just resting it. I did a journal review on this exact thing (ankle sprains) many years ago and found that the literature strongly supports the best treatment is very short term immobilization followed by activity and quickly returning to prior level of function. The longer that is delayed the worse it is for the tissue integrity. 

Why make this more difficult than it is? The Giants will play Barkley when he's healthy. This isn't a situation where you play him at 75% to try to make the playoffs or something.

It was VERY unlikely to be a 2 or 3 week injury. Understandably, people get excited when they see Barkley jumping around like a jackrabbit, but cutting on a true HAS is a different story. AJ Green is also jumping around like a jackrabbit, WITH resistance, but he's not playing this week, either.

AJ had surgery, but my point is there's a lot more to HAS recovery than doing straight-ahead rehab work.

Saquon Barkley (ankle) practiced again Monday.

So did Evan Engram (knee). According to SNY's Ralph Vacchiano, both have at least "a chance" to return when the Giants host Arizona this week. Over the weekend, Barkley tweeted a hype video captioned "I'll be back soon," implying he's in the final stages of his recovery from a high-ankle sprain. New York dropped Jonathan Hilliman Friday, another sign the Giants are expecting Saquon back this week.

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

Oct 14, 2019, 11:24 AM ET

Is he good to go this week?? All systems go?!

Not hearing much. The last 2 weeks there was a lot of news on him. Not so much this week, in the week in which he may be playing again...... 
Hmmm....

I’m starting to worry........

Has anyone traded for Barkley in redraft recently?
Two weeks ago I traded Montgomery and DJ Moore for Barkley and D Westbrook. The guy was hurting at RB.

Have Kamara and Jacobs as well. Kamara is going to make or break my season. 

I have Barkley in one RB slot waiting to hear the start or sit or questionable tag.

Is he good to go this week?? All systems go?!

Not hearing much. The last 2 weeks there was a lot of news on him. Not so much this week, in the week in which he may be playing again...... 
Hmmm....

I’m starting to worry........
:lol:  You are starting to worry because there was saturated news on the off day?

Its Wednesday, practice reports start to come out today. He practiced Monday in team drills and with starters while others were on the side with trainers.

Its pretty well known he has practiced the last 2 weeks and all the rumors are he comes back this week, he even tweeted to insinuate he plays this week, something he hasnt done before. 

No one knows but the trainers and coaches, but this is what separates owners. Ones who panic and the others who can easily read the tea leaves.

Two weeks ago I traded Montgomery and DJ Moore for Barkley and D Westbrook. The guy was hurting at RB.

Have Kamara and Jacobs as well. Kamara is going to make or break my season. 

I have Barkley in one RB slot waiting to hear the start or sit or questionable tag.
very nice.  I'm trying Montgomery, Boyd, and Matt Ryan but don't think the owner will bite.

No, people just think they know better because they stayed at a holiday inn express. 

Sitting a short time longer is likely NOT correlated with better health long term. Healing phase is done at 2 weeks. There is no more tissue repair to happen wr that point- what is going to heal is healed.

Activity after those 2 weeks is actually better long term than just resting it. I did a journal review on this exact thing (ankle sprains) many years ago and found that the literature strongly supports the best treatment is very short term immobilization followed by activity and quickly returning to prior level of function. The longer that is delayed the worse it is for the tissue integrity. 
What was the baseline of the ankle sprains involved in this journal review?  Were these professional athletes or laymen?  If they were professional athletes, which sport? 

While what you read may be valid for the vast majority of schmoes, I wonder how predictive it is for specific cases and world-class performers.  Also, since you stated this review was many years ago, I wonder if the medical opinion has changed at all since then.

Not worried other than it's a huge bye week and Ekeler is toast now.

4-2 without him and lost to some superhero opponent efforts like the busted OBJ TD and last weeks Diggs.   I want to be glad I took him over McCaffrey or at least not have a repeat of 2 years of Marshall Faulk as my #1 overall pick.  I know you don't care....couldn't help myself.

Questionable means play right?

Not worried other than it's a huge bye week and Ekeler is toast now.

4-2 without him and lost to some superhero opponent efforts like the busted OBJ TD and last weeks Diggs.   I want to be glad I took him over McCaffrey or at least not have a repeat of 2 years of Marshall Faulk as my #1 overall pick.  I know you don't care....couldn't help myself.

Questionable means play right?
I'll try to beat that....I have him as well....I'm 2-4 despite scoring the 2nd most points in the league.  I have 125 more PA than the next highest PA team.  I start Lamar, DJ, Cook, Allen, Lockett, TWill, Kittle and I'm 2-4.

I'll try to beat that....I have him as well....I'm 2-4 despite scoring the 2nd most points in the league.  I have 125 more PA than the next highest PA team.  I start Lamar, DJ, Cook, Allen, Lockett, TWill, Kittle and I'm 2-4.
Still time to recover

Ok sounds like he’s playing and good to go!

What are your expectations first game back??

I’ll go with 100 combined yards rushing and receiving and 1 Td.

Go.

Ok sounds like he’s playing and good to go!

What are your expectations first game back??

I’ll go with 100 combined yards rushing and receiving and 1 Td.

Go.
18/85/1 Ground 7/69/0 Air. The Cards like to play fast so we’re looking at a lot of possessions. The O/U of 50.5 is tied for the second highest of the week. Giddyup.

Jordan Raanan ESPN Staff Writer 

RB Wayne Gallman and DL Olsen Pierre have cleared the concussion protocol. Giants will now have a full backfield at their disposal with Saquon Barkley, Gallman, Buck Allen and Eli Penny all available.
Don't expect Barkley to have his usual 90%+ workload, but 75% of the snaps seems reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread