Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Saquon Barkley, N.Y. Giants

3 minutes ago, Gottabesweet said:

very nice.  I'm trying Montgomery, Boyd, and Matt Ryan but don't think the owner will bite.

Couple weeks ago would have been the time to try. Not right before he hits the field again.

• Like 1

Just now, fruity pebbles said:

Couple weeks ago would have been the time to try. Not right before he hits the field again.

That offer wouldn’t do it anyway. He would have to bring more to the table.

Tex

• Like 2

On 10/8/2019 at 12:57 PM, Dr. Dan said:

No, people just think they know better because they stayed at a holiday inn express. 

Sitting a short time longer is likely NOT correlated with better health long term. Healing phase is done at 2 weeks. There is no more tissue repair to happen wr that point- what is going to heal is healed.

Activity after those 2 weeks is actually better long term than just resting it. I did a journal review on this exact thing (ankle sprains) many years ago and found that the literature strongly supports the best treatment is very short term immobilization followed by activity and quickly returning to prior level of function. The longer that is delayed the worse it is for the tissue integrity. 

What was the baseline of the ankle sprains involved in this journal review?  Were these professional athletes or laymen?  If they were professional athletes, which sport? 

While what you read may be valid for the vast majority of schmoes, I wonder how predictive it is for specific cases and world-class performers.  Also, since you stated this review was many years ago, I wonder if the medical opinion has changed at all since then.

Not worried other than it's a huge bye week and Ekeler is toast now.

4-2 without him and lost to some superhero opponent efforts like the busted OBJ TD and last weeks Diggs.   I want to be glad I took him over McCaffrey or at least not have a repeat of 2 years of Marshall Faulk as my #1 overall pick.  I know you don't care....couldn't help myself.

Questionable means play right?

37 minutes ago, infantsam said:

Not worried other than it's a huge bye week and Ekeler is toast now.

4-2 without him and lost to some superhero opponent efforts like the busted OBJ TD and last weeks Diggs.   I want to be glad I took him over McCaffrey or at least not have a repeat of 2 years of Marshall Faulk as my #1 overall pick.  I know you don't care....couldn't help myself.

Questionable means play right?

I'll try to beat that....I have him as well....I'm 2-4 despite scoring the 2nd most points in the league.  I have 125 more PA than the next highest PA team.  I start Lamar, DJ, Cook, Allen, Lockett, TWill, Kittle and I'm 2-4.

4 hours ago, Team Smokin' said:

Barkley Yahoo alert - Barkley's status changed from questionable to healthy.

Play him in a monster game?

Would anyone actually bench him?

• Like 1

I am playing him unless I hear he misses practice or is ruled Out for the game. It looks promising and it sounded like he was close last week.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Team Smokin' said:

Barkley Yahoo alert - Barkley's status changed from questionable to healthy.

Play him in a monster game?

#### I've been playing him the last 3 weeks too

10 hours ago, SCT said:

I'll try to beat that....I have him as well....I'm 2-4 despite scoring the 2nd most points in the league.  I have 125 more PA than the next highest PA team.  I start Lamar, DJ, Cook, Allen, Lockett, TWill, Kittle and I'm 2-4.

Still time to recover

• Like 1

Ok sounds like he’s playing and good to go!

What are your expectations first game back??

I’ll go with 100 combined yards rushing and receiving and 1 Td.

Go.

21 minutes ago, togo said:

Go.

18/85/1 Ground 7/69/0 Air. The Cards like to play fast so we’re looking at a lot of possessions. The O/U of 50.5 is tied for the second highest of the week. Giddyup.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 8:25 PM, infantsam said:

Still time to recover

Yep I actually expect to win the points title and playoffs should be easy as 8 teams make it.  I pity the 4/5 seed.  

Jordan Raanan ESPN Staff Writer 

RB Wayne Gallman and DL Olsen Pierre have cleared the concussion protocol. Giants will now have a full backfield at their disposal with Saquon Barkley, Gallman, Buck Allen and Eli Penny all available.

Don't expect Barkley to have his usual 90%+ workload, but 75% of the snaps seems reasonable.

Saquon Barkley is officially active for Week 7 against the Giants.

Evan Engram is also ready to go, but the Giants will be without Sterling Shepard for at least one more game. Barkley was able to practice in full this week and should see his normal share of touches. The matchup couldn't get better as home favorites against the Cardinals. He's an obvious top-five play.

Oct 20, 2019, 11:43 AM ET

1 hour ago, Faust said:

Saquon Barkley is officially active for Week 7 against the Giants.

Evan Engram is also ready to go, but the Giants will be without Sterling Shepard for at least one more game. Barkley was able to practice in full this week and should see his normal share of touches. The matchup couldn't get better as home favorites against the Cardinals. He's an obvious top-five play.

Oct 20, 2019, 11:43 AM ET

Barkley did a nice run but just pulled up and hobbled over to the sidelines. Looks like he might've strained something, not a re-aggravation of the ankle.

On 10/17/2019 at 8:10 AM, togo said:

Go.

So......he ended up with 80 combined yards rushing and receiving and 1 Td.

What do I win!??

(certainly was hoping for more but I'll take it. He was limping a couple of times. I hope he's fine)

Saquon Barkley rushed 18 times for 72 yards and one touchdown and caught 3-of-5 targets in the Giants' Week 7 loss to the Cardinals.

Saquon had an injury scare in the second half. He was seen slamming his helmet in frustration before having his leg looked at by trainers. Luckily Saquon was able to return shortly after, but definitely something to monitor this upcoming week. Barkley likely wasn't playing at full health even before the re-aggravation, but the usage was still elite and he was able to find the end zone late. Barkley will be an RB1 against the Lions next week, assuming he's healthy.

Oct 20, 2019, 4:28 PM ET

1 minute ago, Team Smokin' said:

Status just changed from healthy to questionable awaiting updates.

Gallman as handcuff insurance?

Seriously,  is this a joke? Unbelievable, going to have to deal with this BS now on top of TOE Adams & Kerryon. 

6 minutes ago, irish eyes said:

Seriously,  is this a joke? Unbelievable, going to have to deal with this BS now on top of TOE Adams & Kerryon. 

Relax

He was limited in a Wednesday practice after missing a few snaps in Sundays game to get his ankle retaped. Its probably not 100% but he'll be fine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Faust said:

Sounds like he'll be good to go against the Lions. Pat Shurmur says Saquon Barkley (ankle) was limited today with “just game soreness.” Shurmur adds “I expect him to play this week.”

• Thanks 1

Saquon Barkley (ankle) practiced in full Thursday.

Barkley posted 18-72-1 rushing and 3-8-0 receiving lines while playing 86% of the offense's snaps in his first game back from injury. Barkley is an every-week high-end RB1 if active, while Wayne Gallman also returned to the field in Week 7 and has proven himself worthy of a handcuff bench stash.

SOURCE: Art Stapleton on Twitter.

Oct 24, 2019, 1:01 PM ET

Saquon Barkley rushed 19 times for 64 yards in the Giants' Week 8 loss to the Lions, adding eight receptions for 79 yards and a touchdown.

Barkley's 143 yards from scrimmage were the most of his abbreviated season so far. Seemingly all the way over his high-ankle sprain, Barkley was having little trouble planting and cutting, or sometimes spinning. He put some ridiculous moves on tape this afternoon. With the Giants playing on Monday Night Football for Week 9, Barkley will have an extra day to rest up for the Cowboys. Barkley has proven he can once again safely be trusted as a top-three weekly option.

Edited by The Frankman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Curious if Barkley owners feel compelled to own Gallman as a handcuff? I failed to secure him when Barkley went down and if I recall, he performed admirably.

I've been stashing D. Henderson (LAR) with Gurley constantly gimpy, but Gallman is sitting in waivers right now. With Henderson on bye I could still grab Gallman prior to the Giants kickoff later.

31 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Curious if Barkley owners feel compelled to own Gallman as a handcuff? I failed to secure him when Barkley went down and if I recall, he performed admirably.

I've been stashing D. Henderson (LAR) with Gurley constantly gimpy, but Gallman is sitting in waivers right now. With Henderson on bye I could still grab Gallman prior to the Giants kickoff later.

I had had Gallman and then dropped him literally the week before Barkley's injury and really regretted it because someone else picked him up. If he were on waivers now, I would try to get him.  It's insurance. I don't always believe in owning a handcuff but when 

a. the teams/situation is such that the position generates a lot of points and targets/carries and,

b. the backup is capapble of being productive and more than just a JAG

Then it really makes sense to have that handcuff.

If the backup isn't going to pr  oduce better than some other random JAG then it isn't worth it.  But we know Gallman can produce if needed.

I wonder what he is worth in a trade?  

8 minutes ago, az_prof said:

I had had Gallman and then dropped him literally the week before Barkley's injury and really regretted it because someone else picked him up. If he were on waivers now, I would try to get him.  It's insurance. I don't always believe in owning a handcuff but when 

a. the teams/situation is such that the position generates a lot of points and targets/carries and,

If the backup isn't going to pr  oduce better than some other random JAG then it isn't worth it.  But we know Gallman can produce if needed.

Can't imagine he's worth that much. He's lower down the list of top handcuffs that's for sure.

All it would cost me is D. Henderson right now who is probably a top 5 handcuff.

2 hours ago, az_prof said:

I hate when people do that...

For what it's worth, I traded Kenyon Drake for Gallman a few weeks back.

• Thanks 1

Saquon Barkley rushed 14 times for just 28 yards in the Giants' 37-18, Week 9 loss to the Cowboys Monday night, but caught 6-of-8 targets for 67 yards.

He saved his night with a 65-yard catch-and-run in the second half. Barkley's 28 rushing yards matched a career-low with the other outing coming last season also against Dallas. Barkley caught 14 balls for 80 yards in that one. He was able to again save his fantasy night, particularly in PPR with the 65-yard gain and actually scored more PPR points than Ezekiel Elliott, who hung a 23-139-0 rushing line with no catches. Barkley was stuffed on his lone goal-line carry for a two-yard loss before Cody Latimer caught the one-yard score two plays later. Barkley gets a miserable Jets team in Week 10.

Nov 4, 2019, 11:36 PM ET

Was it me or did Saquon look too amped up last night?

I feel like every time there was a hole he was either running up a lineman's back, picking the wrong hole, or tripping over his own feet. Even on his long catch and run he almost fell down twice. Felt like he pulled a "Miles Sanders" several times.

38 minutes ago, ConstruxBoy said:

Think his ankle is still bothering him and preventing jump cuts

He has not had a big fantasy game yet this year, none over 30 points in any scoring I'm in.

We are in Week 10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ConstruxBoy said:

Think his ankle is still bothering him and preventing jump cuts

i think so too.  couple of times last night i thought he should've made a guy miss.  he's not 100%

Barkley & Davante have destroyed my dynasty season. Bad enough they miss good part of the season, but to come back & do next to nothing is a killer. And before anyone chimes in, it isn't ppr.

2 hours ago, tackle for loss said:

He has not had a big fantasy game yet this year, none over 30 points in any scoring I'm in.

We are in Week 10.

Well he missed three games and was still banged up the last two, so that’s half the season. One thing I noticed last night was that Jones isn’t helping him at all because the check down is his 4th read, while it was basically Eli’s 2nd read. Of course a check down should be the last read in most situations but I feel Barkley is (normally) such a weapon that they should work him up the chain. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ConstruxBoy said:

Well he missed three games and was still banged up the last two, so that’s half the season. One thing I noticed last night was that Jones isn’t helping him at all because the check down is his 4th read, while it was basically Eli’s 2nd read. Of course a check down should be the last read in most situations but I feel Barkley is (normally) such a weapon that they should work him up the chain. 

Exactly,  Eli knows the kind of weapon he is. The turnover machine Danny "dimes" doesn't have a clue. 

He is more a RB2 at this point than a RB1 and that is frustrating. But here is what i saw.

1. Agree that he is not 100% and it affects his ability to juke and make guys miss.

2. The offensive line is horrible. On one of the few carries he had in RZ where you hope he would score, the OL was blown up and he was hit deep in the backfield. Basically, the OL gave him no chance last night.

3. Jones doesn't look to him very often and missed a lot of opportunities to burn the blitz by dumping off to Barkley.  Going from Eli to Jones is hurting, not helping at the moment.

Short term, the schedule doesn't get much easier anytime soon.  Hopefully he comes back after the Bye in week 11 with more spring in his step. The playoff schedule is favorable for him as he has the Dolphins and Redskins in weeks 15 and 16. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, az_prof said:

He is more a RB2 at this point than a RB1 and that is frustrating. But here is what i saw.

1. Agree that he is not 100% and it affects his ability to juke and make guys miss.

2. The offensive line is horrible. On one of the few carries he had in RZ where you hope he would score, the OL was blown up and he was hit deep in the backfield. Basically, the OL gave him no chance last night.

3. Jones doesn't look to him very often and missed a lot of opportunities to burn the blitz by dumping off to Barkley.  Going from Eli to Jones is hurting, not helping at the moment.

Short term, the schedule doesn't get much easier anytime soon.  Hopefully he comes back after the Bye in week 11 with more spring in his step. The playoff schedule is favorable for him as he has the Dolphins and Redskins in weeks 15 and 16. 

Salvation awaits!!