What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Saquon Barkley, PHI (3 Viewers)

Ok, I kind of thought there was a mixup and you meant Baker Mayfield and someone else. I really like what I have seen from Mayfield but he does not strike me as a guy that will go 1st round in the draft. He's a little small, improvises a lot and his personality will turn some off. I don't know anything about Grier. 
Yeah I’ve heard somewhere about Mayfield’s personilty but I can’t speak on that. Size doesn’t matter to me much Brees and Wilson has shown us that. Mayfield can play on the field and that’s what matters.

Grier is a 6’2 215 QB, he left Florida after some issues with a Control Substance but he’s seemed to have matured since As now he’s married with a family plus his nickname is Touchdown Jesus and I can’t help but to root for him just to hear a commentator call him that! Lol.

Surely there are others but these are two of the best right now and they are getting no love and they fit the criteria that you described.

Tex

The Browns really really need a QB but I don't see one out there worth a 1st round pick. Lately it seems like the top QBs are guys that kind of sneak up late season and shine in the draft process so maybe there is a QB everyone will be in love with by April but I don't see it. 
If Darnold comes out, three QBs will go within the first ten picks.

Anyway, in free agency teams can turn around quickly. Many of those we made note of were before free agency when teams had to rely on the draft to acquire players. And teams can be bad and have a good running back. Look at Marshall Faulk's last 2 seasons in IND. 3-13 and 3-13. Barry Sanders had as many losing seasons as winning seasons in Detroit. Walter Payton and the Bears had just 2 winning seasons in his first 8. Corey Dillon's first 6 seasons in Cincinnati were not good for them. And their is a long history of great college backs that fail in the NFL for various reasons. There is no  guarantee that Barkley will or will not have a good or great career. There have been backs that come out of virtual nowhere to become good or great. The rule in Dynasty should be to draft and acquire as many as possible because we don't know who or when they become relevant.  Can't miss doesn't exist.

Personally I think it is a mistake for NFL teams to draft a running back early first round. Good ones can be found later. 
St. Louis was 4-12 before they picked up Faulk from IND in 1999.

I kind of agree with your assesemnt of drafting a RB early in the first......but I do think a transcendent talent at the position can open the offensive playbook for just about any team; regardless of their level of talent at other skill positions. 

Last edited by a moderator:
An anonymous NFL general manager told Sporting News that Penn State junior RB Saquon Barkley could go No. 1 overall.

"I think he has a shot to be No. 1 — he's that good," the GM said. "He's carried Penn State. He can do it all. A lot of teams, I think, are going to look at what the Cowboys did a couple of years ago with (Ezekiel Elliott). To me, Barkley is that guy, the top player in the draft right now. He’s a workhorse, he doesn't lose the football." The GM went on to say that a contender could move up for Barkley. "He'll put you over the top. Some team (is) going to be willing to overpay because he can make a middle of the pack team into a contender," he said.

Source: Sporting News

ESPN Draft Analyst Mel Kiper Jr. ranked Penn State junior RBSaquon Barkley at the top of his Big Board on Thursday.

He moves up one spot, with USC quarterback Sam Darnold "plummeting" all the way down to the fifth spot. It shouldn't be a huge surprise that the player leading the FBS in total-yardage ranks at the top, but the lead Darnold had at the beginning of the year makes this at least a minor upset, if not more. "Barkley is a lights-out athlete with a great lower body and quick feet who shows tremendous balance," Kiper notes. It would be an upset at this point if Barkley wasn't selected in the first half dozen picks at this point.

Source: ESPN Insider

Oct 26 - 8:23 PM

I know you always want to remain flexible, but there's absolutely no way I take a RB in the top 10 if I were an NFL GM.

I don't care how good they are. Classic example is Zeke. Taking Zeke over Ramsey was a mistake. Period (& I'm a Dallas fan). I couldn't believe my ears when I heard it, LOL.

Top RBs can be had later. It's been proven time & time & time again. In general, taking a RB in the top 10 is a dumb move, IMO.

In fact, unless you believe a particular RB would definitely put your team over the top & you also have no other glaring needs, I wouldn't take a RB in the 1st round. 

Saquan is a beast and will be a beast for fantasy. But if he doesn't get to a team with a top 10 QB, he'll never win a Super Bowl. It will be like AP in Minnesota. Dominate enough to carry a team to 10-11 wins and a playoff birth but not enough to win it all. 

Even now on PSU, he scores and dominates every week but it's still McSorelys show. The Iowa game, Saquan had over 300 all purpose yards and 2 tds and yet they still needed a last second TD drive by McSorley to win the game.

Saquan is a beast and will be a beast for fantasy. But if he doesn't get to a team with a top 10 QB, he'll never win a Super Bowl. It will be like AP in Minnesota. Dominate enough to carry a team to 10-11 wins and a playoff birth but not enough to win it all. 

Even now on PSU, he scores and dominates every week but it's still McSorelys show. The Iowa game, Saquan had over 300 all purpose yards and 2 tds and yet they still needed a last second TD drive by McSorley to win the game.
Another way to look at is is that Barkley is so good, he's carrying a team with a backup Duke point guard at QB to a top 5 ranking.  

Gotta hand it to Ohio St though. Their defense did a nice job bottling him up today. Special teams not so much.

This loss was a potential blessing to Barkley/1.01 owners.  Hopefully 1-2 less games of wear and tear if Penn State now misses the playoffs and Barkley sits out of a Bowl game.

Penn State junior RB Saquon Barkley carried the ball 14 times for 63 yards and caught three passes for 33 yards in the school's 27-24 loss to Michigan State on Saturday.

Here's a question, should it concern evaluators that Barkley has only gone over 100 yards rushing in three games this season? Barkley is so good at adding a few yards on to runs that others cannot, and to be fair the conditions were not good in this one. He's still a must watch, but we haven't seen major highlights over the last two weeks.

Penn State junior RB Saquon Barkley was named a finalist for the Paul Hornung Award.

The Hornung is handed out annually to the nation's most versatile player. Barkley (5'11/222) has posted 1,368 yards and 12 touchdowns from scrimmage in nine games this season. On top of his stellar work as both a runner and receiver, the junior Heisman contender has also excelled as a kick-return option this season, racking up 393 yards and two touchdowns on just 13 returns. The other three finalists for the Hornung Award are Iowa State LB Joel Lanning, Washington WR Dante Pettis and NC State RB Nyheim Hines. We'll find out who's taking home this piece of hardware on Wednesday, Dec. 6.

Source: Penn State Football on Twitter 

Nov 9 - 4:57 PM

Penn State junior RB Saquon Barkley rushed for 35 yards and two touchdowns on 14 carries in the school's 35-6 win over Rutgers on Saturday.

Barkley's yards per carry was low, but that is becoming a somewhat common trend. Poor blocking is limiting the easy yards for Barkley at the line of scrimmage, but he is still creating space on his own. The highlight, and there always is one for Barkley, was a hurdle at the end of a hook and lateral. Barkley added another 13 yards on a catch.

Another example of why people shouldn't read PFW.
Gabriel has been writing about football for a long time, but yeah some of his comments in the article are real head scratchers to me.

For example

Despite being as big as he is, Barkley does not play like a big back. He plays much closer to a 205 pound type that a 225-230 pound back. He is more finesse than a power guy and is by no means a punishing type runner.
To me this is a good thing, but to Gregs tone makes it sound like a negative.

Saquon is a very quick starter and has excellent vision and instincts. That both helps and hurts.
I don't see how having excellent vision and instinct is ever a bad thing.

With his speed, quickness, and elusiveness he is a great space player and when he gets in the open field there is an excellent chance that he will take it the distance. His problem is he is not a great inside runner. Too often he dances around trying to make the big play rather than taking what’s there. When that happens he often gets hit for a loss or no gain when he very well could have had a 2-3 yard gain if he took what was there.

Once he gets to the NFL he can’t do that as holes in the pro game aren’t anywhere near as big as holes in college. His after-contact ability in tight spaces is just average and he cannot move the pile.
If this were true then Greg shouldn't say he has excellent vision, which is important for running the ball inside the tackles.

While I don’t compare Barkley to players like Elliott or Fournette, he is much more like Carolina’s Christian McCaffrey.
hmmm based on what I have seen of Barley not a comparison I would make, but McCaffrey is good and was a top 10 pick so okay..

Basically Greg is saying that Barkley doesn't have good power to gain yards after contact.

Gabriel has been writing about football for a long time, but yeah some of his comments in the article are real head scratchers to me.

For example

To me this is a good thing, but to Gregs tone makes it sound like a negative.

I don't see how having excellent vision and instinct is ever a bad thing.

If this were true then Greg shouldn't say he has excellent vision, which is important for running the ball inside the tackles.

hmmm based on what I have seen of Barley not a comparison I would make, but McCaffrey is good and was a top 10 pick so okay..

Basically Greg is saying that Barkley doesn't have good power to gain yards after contact.
McCaffrey?  That's crazy.  I've read that most scouts feel that he is the best running back prospect to come out of college in years. 

At some point we're going to realize that each athlete is unique and the comparison game is just us desperately trying to predict the future by looking at the past/present.

JuniorNB said:
McCaffrey?  That's crazy.  I've read that most scouts feel that he is the best running back prospect to come out of college in years. 
Definitely not the player that Barkley reminds me of when watching Barkley. Something I guess to look for when I do watch Barkley again at the end of the season.

For some people seeing a RB run over defenders is a lot more important to them than it is to me.

I disagree with some of Gregs statements in his observations. Particularly the part about vision and instinct somehow being excellent but that this could be a bad thing. I don't really get that at all.

I haven't tried to compare him to any RB yet. I still have an open mind about all of these college players until I spend more time watching them in January-February. There have been some very good RB to come out over the last 3 years though. I think Barkley is definitely in that conversation being among the best of them, but I haven't formed an opinion about where he actually stacks up with those guys yet.

Power isn't a trait that I have observed as a weakness in Barkleys game from when I have watched him yet. That is something I will look for when watching him later this year. Maybe there have been some games recently where that observation holds true. I just haven't seen that yet.

Definitely not the player that Barkley reminds me of when watching Barkley. Something I guess to look for when I do watch Barkley again at the end of the season.

For some people seeing a RB run over defenders is a lot more important to them than it is to me.

I disagree with some of Gregs statements in his observations. Particularly the part about vision and instinct somehow being excellent but that this could be a bad thing. I don't really get that at all.

I haven't tried to compare him to any RB yet. I still have an open mind about all of these college players until I spend more time watching them in January-February. There have been some very good RB to come out over the last 3 years though. I think Barkley is definitely in that conversation being among the best of them, but I haven't formed an opinion about where he actually stacks up with those guys yet.

Power isn't a trait that I have observed as a weakness in Barkleys game from when I have watched him yet. That is something I will look for when watching him later this year. Maybe there have been some games recently where that observation holds true. I just haven't seen that yet.
I can see him being used in the NFL similar to the way Marshall Faulk was used by the Rams. Barkley can run and catch the ball.  He's explosive and also elusive. He might not seek out contact, but he squats more than anyone on the Penn State team. His legs are like tree trunks and he certainly has the power to break tackles.  

I can see him being used in the NFL similar to the way Marshall Faulk was used by the Rams. Barkley can run and catch the ball.  He's explosive and also elusive. He might not seek out contact, but he squats more than anyone on the Penn State team. His legs are like tree trunks and he certainly has the power to break tackles.  
More than anyone in Penn State history actually. It’s pretty crazy IMO.  

At some point we're going to realize that each athlete is unique and the comparison game is just us desperately trying to predict the future by looking at the past/present.
I hate when talking heads (specifically in fantasy) say things like, a Tyreek Hill type. Or a Calvin Johnson type. Players that are almost one of a kind. What are the odds that an unproven rookie will emulate them.

That said, Saquon looks legit, even with his recent spell of mediocrity.

I hope he gets less playing time, because I hate seeing a player get hurt for no reason other than to try and win a game of college football that ultimately could ruin his livelihood. Look at poor Nick Chubb. #1 RB prospect, gets hurt sophomore season. Comes back jr year, and they give him the ball something like 30 times his first game back. He got over 220 yds and 3 TDs. What the hell were they thinking running a young guy into the ground after major knee surgery. He's lost a step. My vote is for Barkley to be the backup and stop returning kicks, for god's sake. 

Yeah every coach would rather start on their own 30 than the opponent's 45.

Wait wut
I said nothing about it not being a great benefit to the team. A 50 yard return on average starts on the goal line (sometimes deeper sometimes more shallow). Touch backs get you to the 25. It's 25 net yards vs 50. 

Barkley being his usual unwordly self today. 135 on the ground and 3 TDs on only 12 carries.  Another 42 in the air

Users who are viewing this thread