What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rebuild question (1 Viewer)

aaj1997

Footballguy
12 team PPR - 2RB, 3WR and a FLEX.  I have a very young team and will have three 2017 1st round picks including the 1.01.  My best players are Jordan Howard, Amari Cooper and Keenan Allen.  I was offered a trade of AJ Green for Jordan Howard.  Howard is a much better fit for my young team than Green but value wise I do see Green as more valuable.  Trades are relatively hard to come by in this league but not impossible.  Should I accept or decline?  If I were to accept, is my best alternative to try and flip Green for a younger WR such as a Hopkins/Robinson?  Or am I better off to stand pat with Howard than trade for an older WR that I may or may not be able to unload?  If I keep Howard, I would have a nice 1-2 punch at RB with him and Fournette/Cook plus a nice 1-2 punch at WR with Cooper and Allen.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

In a vaccuum green>Howard I think, but it really depends on the rest of your teAm and where those other picks are.

I'd trade Howard for Green.

Many people subscribe to that zero RB strategy, and they will gobble up good WRs, and just use whatever RBs they can find.

It might be close, but Green probably has a larger shelf life than Howard, so that is a plus for a rebuilding team.

I would keep Green because you do not know how Allen will bounce back from injury.

You can grab a RB with your 1.01, and look for more RB depth as you are able.

My team is very young.

RB: Howard, Dixon, Perkins, Jeremy Hill

WR: Cooper, Allen, White, Doctson, Treadwell, Lee, Hogan, R. Anderson

Picks: 1.01, 1.09, 1.11, 2.01, 2.10

I would pass.  Green turns 29 this summer so I don't see him as a fit in your rebuild.  I wouldn't make a move to flip him as you have already said trades are infrequent in this league.  After the draft your situation might be:

RB Howard, pick 1.1

WR Cooper, Allen, Doctson, White, Treadwell

You should be able to get a good mix of another RB, WR help and maybe some TE help with 1.9,1.11 and 2.1 and then whatever attractive rookie slips to 2.10.  That is going to be a pretty decent young core if these guys pan out.

I would keep Howard.  I haven't been a strong supporter of Green.  He is solid but he isn't someone I value as much as some.  I think Chicago builds around Howard and he will be solid for the next few years.  I think Green will start to diminish so I wouldn't do the deal. 

Agree with what's already been said above.  While Green is still an elite WR, he always seems to be injured or have off games.  As far as your team makeup, I would keep Howard and continue to build with your youth movement.

I would trade Howard for Green.  A WR can play until 33ish. That is 3 more years of top tier production from Green. I can understand his health being an issue in that though. In 3 years Howard will be worn down also. Rb shelf life is so short. I think Howard may have just had the best season he will ever have. With a better QB and some healthy Wr's he may not get the workload. I am also just not a believer in him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get Ratbone's argument about a shorter shelf life when you are comparing a 22 year old RB to a 28 year old WR.  The difference in age is about 6 1/2 years.  No doubt RB tend to have shorter careers but with this age split Howard should outlast Green.  You are obviously not a believer Ratbone.  The other thing I factor in here is this is a must start 2 RB league so that increases the need to have more good RB depth.  If I wasn't a fan of Howard I would seek out other deals where the key piece coming back wasn't a 28 year old WR going to a young rebuilding team.

I don't get Ratbone's argument about a shorter shelf life when you are comparing a 22 year old RB to a 28 year old WR.  The difference in age is about 6 1/2 years.  No doubt RB tend to have shorter careers but with this age split Howard should outlast Green.  You are obviously not a believer Ratbone.  The other thing I factor in here is this is a must start 2 RB league so that increases the need to have more good RB depth.  If I wasn't a fan of Howard I would seek out other deals where the key piece coming back wasn't a 28 year old WR going to a young rebuilding team.

These are the top Rbs drafted in 2013. Basically worth zero 3-4 years later. Rb fluctuates too much and you can't plan more than 3 years out in dynasty. I would rather have a very good Wr for 3 more years.  ( Sorry for the formatting)

1. Adrian Peterson

RB

MIN

CJ Spiller

RB

BUF

Arian Foster

RB

HOU

LeSean McCoy

RB

PHI

Doug Martin

RB

TB

Trent Richardson

RB

CLE

Marshawn Lynch

RB

SEA

Matt Forte

RB

CHI

Steven Jackson

RB

ATL

Jamaal Charles

RB

KC

Stevan Ridley

RB

NE

Alfred Morris

RB

WAS

Frank Gore

RB

SF

Last edited by a moderator:
How does the WR list look from 2013?  Meaning, I think WR would be somewhat similar I just don't want to take time to dig into it.  The NFL changes fast, not just RB. I feel your logic is a bit flawed because you are looking at all RB not just RB 22 years old and younger and the WR list should also be viewed as those 28 and older because we know Howard is 22 and Green is 28.  We can disagree though, that is fine.  I still contend with the young core the OP has it makes more sense to keep Howard or if you don't like him get a young WR to fit your team and not a 28 year old. I like Howard enough to keep him but if I wasn't sold on him I might look for a deal involving say Michael Thomas from NO or Arob or Hopkins so the age fits with my core.

How does the WR list look from 2013?  Meaning, I think WR would be somewhat similar I just don't want to take time to dig into it.  The NFL changes fast, not just RB. I feel your logic is a bit flawed because you are looking at all RB not just RB 22 years old and younger and the WR list should also be viewed as those 28 and older because we know Howard is 22 and Green is 28.  We can disagree though, that is fine.  I still contend with the young core the OP has it makes more sense to keep Howard or if you don't like him get a young WR to fit your team and not a 28 year old. I like Howard enough to keep him but if I wasn't sold on him I might look for a deal involving say Michael Thomas from NO or Arob or Hopkins so the age fits with my core.
I almost posted it too. Left is regular rankings and right side is PPR.  Both lists were preseason 2013.  This list has at least 4 players still going strong plus Cobb and Marshall. Not sure why I went to 13 in both. I think it was because Gore was still playing on the RB list.  Those younger WR's could be good but would you rather have ARob than Green? I definitely wouldn't. 

Calvin Johnson, DET

Calvin Johnson, DET

A.J. Green, CIN

Brandon Marshall, CHI

Dez Bryant, DAL

A.J. Green, CIN

Demaryius Thomas, DEN

Demaryius Thomas, DEN

Julio Jones, ATL

Dez Bryant, DAL

Brandon Marshall, CHI

Reggie Wayne, IND

Roddy White, ATL

Wes Welker, DEN

Randall Cobb, GB

Roddy White, ATL

Andre Johnson, HOU

Andre Johnson, HOU

Vincent Jackson, TB

Julio Jones, ATL

Reggie Wayne, IND

Randall Cobb, GB

Victor Cruz, NYG

Vincent Jackson, TB

Marques Colston, NO

Victor Cruz, NYG

If I'm a winning team I would rather have the 28 year old Green.  If my core group around the WR is Dixon, Perkins, Cooper, Allen, White, Doctson, Treadwell, 1.1 pick, 1.9 pick, 1.11 pick, 2.1 pick then I'll take the 23 year old Robinson and maybe get some other small upgrade.  I just feel that when the rookie class this year and the WR core this team has are peaking that Green will be past his prime.

12 team PPR - 2RB, 3WR and a FLEX.  I have a very young team and will have three 2017 1st round picks including the 1.01.  My best players are Jordan Howard, Amari Cooper and Keenan Allen.  I was offered a trade of AJ Green for Jordan Howard.  Howard is a much better fit for my young team than Green but value wise I do see Green as more valuable.  Trades are relatively hard to come by in this league but not impossible.  Should I accept or decline?  If I were to accept, is my best alternative to try and flip Green for a younger WR such as a Hopkins/Robinson?  Or am I better off to stand pat with Howard than trade for an older WR that I may or may not be able to unload?  If I keep Howard, I would have a nice 1-2 punch at RB with him and Fournette/Cook plus a nice 1-2 punch at WR with Cooper and Allen.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

My team is very young.

RB: Howard, Dixon, Perkins, Jeremy Hill

WR: Cooper, Allen, White, Doctson, Treadwell, Lee, Hogan, R. Anderson

Picks: 1.01, 1.09, 1.11, 2.01, 2.10
Its not an unfair offer, its very close IMO but does it put you in a position to compete?

Even though you have some bright spots for starters, your team is full of unproven prospects, or just thin in general. If White, Doctson, and Treadwell develop you could have a monster team, but not likely this season. So If you acquire Green, then you just have an aged asset that you wont be able to move for a potential top 5-10 dynasty RB. Instead of already having one or two (assuming you take one at 1.01)

Id pass solely based on the context of your team. If it takes off, you would be solid in both areas in youth and depth.

Users who are viewing this thread