Dr. Dan

2017 Green Bay Packers Thread

1,986 posts in this topic

Thought we had one, couldn't find it.

With free agency starting figured it was time we had one, since we will be so active right away and all

Go Pack Go

Guijon suspended 4 games. Might be the end of his career in GB

If GB can't resign Perry what are the thoughts of brining back Peppers and Freeney on 1 year deals each as a band aid? Yes, I'd like some stability here but a 1 year stop gap could help. 

On a separate issue, Hyde's value worth it?

1 hour ago, Dr. Brew said:

If GB can't resign Perry what are the thoughts of brining back Peppers and Freeney on 1 year deals each as a band aid? Yes, I'd like some stability here but a 1 year stop gap could help. 

Perry is not worth what he is going to get on the open market.  The unfortunate thing is the Packers are incredibly thin at that position.  Even if they did resign Perry they still need to make a move or two to bolster that position.  

14 hours ago, KingPrawn said:

Guijon suspended 4 games. Might be the end of his career in GB

Well...bye.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Dr. Brew said:

Good and bad here...this draft is pretty deep (supposedly) in edge rushers and secondary.

The bad of that is that we already have needs at corner and elsewhere...adding needs by losing both of these guys or several of our guys when we have cap space is not wise.

Id rather have Hyde than Perry IMO.  I think he is more versatile...26 years old.  Just hard to get rid of that and take a strength at S and being able to play some nickel and make it a thin position for us.

I like Perry...but agreed above where some of his value is just so high.  Id take a rookie there over a rookie trying to do what Hyde does.

I see the over reaction to Rodgers statements on Wilde are starting.

Made comments about Glennon's value vs his own and some (pretty sure PFT) is out there acting like he is demanding his contract be redone.  Not at all the case.

1 hour ago, sho nuff said:

I see the over reaction to Rodgers statements on Wilde are starting.

Made comments about Glennon's value vs his own and some (pretty sure PFT) is out there acting like he is demanding his contract be redone.  Not at all the case.

Nope, not at all. 

Even Aaron agrees

#fakenews

1 hour ago, sho nuff said:

Good and bad here...this draft is pretty deep (supposedly) in edge rushers and secondary.

The bad of that is that we already have needs at corner and elsewhere...adding needs by losing both of these guys or several of our guys when we have cap space is not wise.

Id rather have Hyde than Perry IMO.  I think he is more versatile...26 years old.  Just hard to get rid of that and take a strength at S and being able to play some nickel and make it a thin position for us.

I like Perry...but agreed above where some of his value is just so high.  Id take a rookie there over a rookie trying to do what Hyde does.

I would much rather have Hyde as well. 
I have never been a big fan of Perry. I really do believe he did well this year largely due to being in a contract year. But what do I know. I think he is overvalued and we will likely miss out. Sucks to be thin at another position but I don't necessarily think we need to sell the farm to avoid getting thin at a certain position.

I think a reasonable way this plays out is:
Bring back House
Resign Hyde
Let Perry walk
Draft OLB round 1- possibly Watt on many mock draft boards. He's raw and living off his brother's name but he does have talent. And I'm the last person who really promotes drafting Badgers (I think too many people overvalue them because we see them weekly and like to cheer for them) 
CB round 2- deep class so a decent one could/should be there

Edited by Dr. Brew

8 minutes ago, Dr. Brew said:

Nope, not at all. 

Even Aaron agrees

#fakenews

I would much rather have Hyde as well. 
I have never been a big fan of Perry. I really do believe he did well this year largely due to being in a contract year. But what do I know. I think he is overvalued and we will likely miss out. Sucks to be thin at another position but I don't necessarily think we need to sell the farm to avoid getting thin at a certain position.

I think a reasonable way this plays out is:
Bring back House
Resign Hyde
Let Perry walk
Draft OLB round 1- possibly Watt on many mock draft boards. He's raw and living off his brother's name but he does have talent. And I'm the last person who really promotes drafting Badgers (I think too many people overvalue them because we see them weekly and like to cheer for them) 
CB round 2- deep class so a decent one could/should be there

I don't think its just living off of his brother's name.

Ive been on Watt since midyear of the Badgers season...he has talent and moves and just the desire to get to the QB.  Id love to see it and hope it translates.  And would have a good mentor in Clay too (and if they could resign Peppers pretty cheap...that is 2 great guys to learn from).

Just now, sho nuff said:

I don't think its just living off of his brother's name.

Ive been on Watt since midyear of the Badgers season...he has talent and moves and just the desire to get to the QB.  Id love to see it and hope it translates.  And would have a good mentor in Clay too (and if they could resign Peppers pretty cheap...that is 2 great guys to learn from).

What I mean by that is I'm not sure he's 1st round talent. Maybe beginning of round 2. Maybe I'm completely wrong. I just feel like he gets a boost up maybe 10 spots because of his name, potentially. He is very good  but I worry we might be reaching instead of trading down with like SF or CHI or someone maybe looking to jump back into round 1 for a QB. Then GB takes him early round 2... 

1 minute ago, Dr. Brew said:

What I mean by that is I'm not sure he's 1st round talent. Maybe beginning of round 2. Maybe I'm completely wrong. I just feel like he gets a boost up maybe 10 spots because of his name, potentially. He is very good  but I worry we might be reaching instead of trading down with like SF or CHI or someone maybe looking to jump back into round 1 for a QB. Then GB takes him early round 2... 

I can see that...but to get him, barring dropping back to the top 3rd of the 3nd round...I don't think they would get him.

Id be fine with a move like that (much like they did when they picked Jordy).

Pick up more picks...drop back a bit and still get the guy you want.

1 person likes this

23 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

I can see that...but to get him, barring dropping back to the top 3rd of the 3nd round...I don't think they would get him.

Id be fine with a move like that (much like they did when they picked Jordy).

Pick up more picks...drop back a bit and still get the guy you want.

I could see Ted trading back a lot in this draft.  They have a lot of holes for a team that went to the NFC championship game.  They definitely need to take a wr and a few lineman as well.  You have the potential of Lang and Tretter leaving this year with both Taylor and Linsley FA's next year.  At wr, Nelson is getting old, Cobb has lost a step and Adams is a FA next year.  

Add to that the need to resign Burnett before he expires next year, which impacts the salary cap (along with Clinton-Dix, Clay, Cobb, Jordy, Rollins, Montgomery all being FA's in 2019) things get really interesting.  They just don't have the talent waiting in the wings like they have had in the past.  They need to re-stock the troops.   

1 person likes this

Perry to Jets?

Kind of makes sense for Perry to be signed elsewhere. Market value puts him very high, likely higher than he's worth

I think this will be a classic example of Ted not overpaying for a particular player. 

58 minutes ago, jurrassic said:

I could see Ted trading back a lot in this draft.  They have a lot of holes for a team that went to the NFC championship game.  They definitely need to take a wr and a few lineman as well.  You have the potential of Lang and Tretter leaving this year with both Taylor and Linsley FA's next year.  At wr, Nelson is getting old, Cobb has lost a step and Adams is a FA next year.  

Add to that the need to resign Burnett before he expires next year, which impacts the salary cap (along with Clinton-Dix, Clay, Cobb, Jordy, Rollins, Montgomery all being FA's in 2019) things get really interesting.  They just don't have the talent waiting in the wings like they have had in the past.  They need to re-stock the troops.   

To further your point:

Green Bay has least number of players under contract... Don't expect us to go nuts in FA...

Packers could draft >1 RB?

Kind of a ridiculous post but not absolutely crazy I guess. They could take one round 2 and maybe like round 5-6. I think spending 2 picks on a RB would be absurd, especially since jurrassic points out that we just don't have the talent waiting in the wings like we used to. I'll say it so Sabertooth doesn't have to- it's the direct result of failed drafts by Thompson in the past (there, it's said, it's done let's move on :)

19 minutes ago, Dr. Brew said:

Perry to Jets?

Kind of makes sense for Perry to be signed elsewhere. Market value puts him very high, likely higher than he's worth

I think this will be a classic example of Ted not overpaying for a particular player. 

Also a classic example of a draft choice that didn't do enough to justify re-signing with the team a year before contract expiration.  A blown draft pick.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Dr. Brew said:

Packers could draft >1 RB?

Kind of a ridiculous post but not absolutely crazy I guess. They could take one round 2 and maybe like round 5-6. I think spending 2 picks on a RB would be absurd, especially since jurrassic points out that we just don't have the talent waiting in the wings like we used to. I'll say it so Sabertooth doesn't have to- it's the direct result of failed drafts by Thompson in the past (there, it's said, it's done let's move on :)

Ted has been pretty mediocre.  

1 person likes this

And I know we have othermeeds and this and that...but McCaffrey would look really good in green and gold.

2 people like this

Just now, Bronco Billy said:

Perry resigning with the Green & Gold.  :thumbsup:

Waiting to hear what the terms are.  Hope it is cap friendly if he bombs and we need to cut him in 2 years.

Just now, Alex P Keaton said:

Waiting to hear what the terms are.  Hope it is cap friendly if he bombs and we need to cut him in 2 years.

It's for 5 years per the reports. That would indicate a cap friendly contract with a lerge signing bonus I'm guessing.

2 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

It's for 5 years per the reports. That would indicate a cap friendly contract with a lerge signing bonus I'm guessing.

Not necessarily.   Randall Cobb's 4-year deal a few years back was essentially a 2-year, $21 deal with another two years at $9 each.  It gave the team flexibility to cut him after 2 years if he wasn't living up to the deal.

I hope we've done something similar with Perry.

Glad to hear this.  I felt this was the top priority this off season.  I'm not sold on how good he is but he had a good year last year and they needed to keep a key rusher around as they are tough to come by.

Ugh.  They are going to give Perry ALOT of money.  The guy had one good, injury riddled, season.  They are also apparently close with Cook.  

This is Ted's "going for it".  The defense was bad with Perry so not sure how they are getting better (granted they aren't getting worse and they are desperate for OLB's).  Just hope this doesn't impact them a year or two from now when they need to resign Burnett, Adams, Dix, etc.      

12 hours ago, sho nuff said:

And I know we have othermeeds and this and that...but McCaffrey would look really good in green and gold.

He would.   I watched his workouts a little bit, and he looks really good.  But don't we already have a very comparable guy in Montgomery?  Seems to be very similar to me.  

6 minutes ago, jurrassic said:

Ugh.  They are going to give Perry ALOT of money.  The guy had one good, injury riddled, season.  They are also apparently close with Cook.  

This is Ted's "going for it".  The defense was bad with Perry so not sure how they are getting better (granted they aren't getting worse and they are desperate for OLB's).  Just hope this doesn't impact them a year or two from now when they need to resign Burnett, Adams, Dix, etc.      

I think their cap is in great shape.  One contract isn't going to make much of a difference.  Burnett is decent, I don't think he's a world beater.

While I agree that Perry hasn't been a star, he's pretty much the best pass rusher out there.  He was arguably the defense's best player.  A healthy Matthews and Perry would be a pretty nice combo to have.  

48 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Good.   He isn't good enough to start.  Replacement level player.

I don't know.  He's a very nice swiss army knife of a player who lack athleticism.  

15 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

He would.   I watched his workouts a little bit, and he looks really good.  But don't we already have a very comparable guy in Montgomery?  Seems to be very similar to me.  

Putting both those guys on the field at the same time would make the offense almost matchup proof.  Those two plus Cobb could amass 30 rushes a game without killing any of them, and all 3 of those guys could line up in the backfield, in the slot, or out wide.

Creating wildly divergent formations and mismatches without changing out personnel is a defensive DC's nightmare.

1 person likes this

Perry rumored to be signing a 5 year deal.  Vernon's deal with the Giants last year was 5 years/$85 million with a $20 million signing bonus.  Would make Perry the 3rd highest paid player on the team.  

Edited by jurrassic

2 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

Putting both those guys on the field at the same time would make the offense almost matchup proof.  Those two plus Cobb could amass 30 rushes a game without killing any of them, and all 3 of those guys could line up in the backfield, in the slot, or out wide.

Creating wildly divergent formations and mismatches without changing out personnel is a defensive DC's nightmare.

Would be pretty ####### epic.  

Eagles released Barwin and rumored to be releasing Kendricks.  I would sign both of those guys for the right price

1 person likes this

The Pack can absorb the Perry contract.  Clay's overpaid #### will have to take a pay cut or he will be replaced next year.  I too would like Green Bay to look at Kendricks and Barwin but it's starting to feel like another season of keeping some of their key guys and waiting for the 3rd wave of free agents before they do anything.

2 people like this

30 minutes ago, jurrassic said:

Perry rumored to be signing a 5 year deal.  Vernon's deal with the Giants last year was 5 years/$85 million with a $20 million signing bonus.  Would make Perry the 3rd highest paid player on the team.  

That would be insane money for Nick Perry. I don't keep track of the going rates very well I guess, but I thought we were expecting about half that for Perry - 5 years in the 40s, maybe 50mil.  Before the hand injury, he was probably the defensive MVP, and he was pretty good even with the club. That said, it scares me that he seems like a contract year guy.

1 hour ago, jurrassic said:

I wished we'd  let Perry walk. I think he will return to the same slob he was before he was in a contract year. But, I've been wrong in the past

29 minutes ago, Warhogs said:

The Pack can absorb the Perry contract.  Clay's overpaid #### will have to take a pay cut or he will be replaced next year.  I too would like Green Bay to look at Kendricks and Barwin but it's starting to feel like another season of keeping some of their key guys and waiting for the 3rd wave of free agents before they do anything.

I think this is true... Clay will need to take a pay cut at some point. he's not living up to his contract. 

7 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

That would be insane money for Nick Perry. I don't keep track of the going rates very well I guess, but I thought we were expecting about half that for Perry - 5 years in the 40s, maybe 50mil.  Before the hand injury, he was probably the defensive MVP, and he was pretty good even with the club. That said, it scares me that he seems like a contract year guy.

5/40 is about what Sporttrac put his market value as. 8.5 average annual salary. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/nick-perry-9838/market-value/

If we are paying him 5/85, that is insane 

1 hour ago, Alex P Keaton said:

He wants 5-6 million. That's crazy for a guy who could be our CB4 (granted, he is better than our CB1-2) and a backup safety.

I really do think House will come back and be our CB1-2 with Rollins. And I think that and a draft pick is all you will see to bolster the defensive backfield.  

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Disagree completely with this.  Plays all over and helps them do what they want like they could with Woodson (not saying he is at Woodsons level at all)

1 hour ago, jurrassic said:

Led the team in tackles and had 11 sacks.  It's pretty good production and they need more of it and he is still young.

i thought he would be overpriced and yes wouldn't pay.  But we have the room for it and it opens up other options early i the draft.