Dr. Dan

2017 Green Bay Packers Thread

1,986 posts in this topic

All I know is they're going to win the super bowl this year!

2 people like this

43 minutes ago, shady inc said:

I love the natural optimism of Spring.  I agree with you! :)

Trade Randall for Kizer???? 

20 minutes ago, Mr.Pack said:

Trade Randall for Kizer???? 

I’m not a huge Kizer fan but I like that deal.  There’s enough physical talent there.  With some quality coaching up, who knows?

Posted (edited)

Umm...now a gigantic hole at CB?

For all the criticism...he improved last year.  Was he just that much of an issue off the field there?

Kizer...I guess more competent than Hundley?  Not sure I see that.

Browns making good moves.

Edited by sho nuff

I like Kiser and like the move. I would probably at least bring in Sherman for a visit.

Just now, Warhogs said:

I like Kiser and like the move. I would probably at least bring in Sherman for a visit.

Achilles though..plus age.  That’s a tough one.

On 3/7/2018 at 0:47 PM, shady inc said:

No. Philadelphia already won The Super Bowl this year

1 person likes this

43 minutes ago, Warhogs said:

I'd rather have Butler

Browns got the better of this trade. Way better.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

What are we going to do in here without any Highway 23 complaints?

I like the move. Randall was almost cut last year when he was sent to the locker room at halftime. The veterans committee on the team asked McCarthy to cut him. Doesn't sound like a real popular player in the locker room. Won't really miss him giving up a big play and looking around like it was everybody else's fault.

Got some competition for Hundley. Hundley's roster spot just got a bit hotter. Kizer has potential with some decent coaching and could be a serviceable backup. Can't be any worse than Hundley.

Also swapped picks in the 4th and 5th round.

I believe they'll sign at least a CB or 2 in FA. Can't see them going in to the draft without addressing the position beforehand.

Edited by KingPrawn

56 minutes ago, KingPrawn said:

I'm guessing ole @Sabertooth is devastated..

:lol:

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, KingPrawn said:

I like the move. Randall was almost cut last year when he was sent to the locker room at halftime. The veterans committee on the team asked McCarthy to cut him. Doesn't sound like a real popular player in the locker room. Won't really miss him giving up a big play and looking around like it was everybody else's fault.

Got some competition for Hundley. Hundley's roster spot just got a bit hotter. Kizer has potential with some decent coaching and could be a serviceable backup. Can't be any worse than Hundley.

Also swapped picks in the 4th and 5th round.

I believe they'll sign at least a CB or 2 in FA. Can't see them going in to the draft without addressing the position beforehand.

I am not a fan of Randall on or off the field.   The trade doesn't bother me.  However, for everyone who just automatically assumes the Packers are going to sign a "CB or 2", where is the money coming from. They are bottom 10 in cap space available, with $19 million and half of that will need to go to draft picks.  That leaves roughly $9-10  million, assuming the Packers don't resign any of their own free agents (Burnett, Rodgers, Allison, Evans, Goode, McCray, etc.). Every team in the league is cutting high-priced, under-achieving veterans except the Packers.  They may still, but who and for how much.  I am all for the cutting/restructuring of guys but everything the Packers have said indicates they are less inclined to make those moves.  Hopefully that's just PR maneuvering.  It amazes me how bad some of these contracts are.  The Packers have, without a doubt, the highest paid wr corps in the league with both Nelson and Cobb scheduled to make over $12 million, and add Adams with over $10 million.  Does anyone, anywhere, think the Packers have the best wr's in the league?  The position everyone, universally agrees, needs an upgrade, outside pass rush, has 2 of their top 6 paid players.  Mathews has a cap number of $11 million and Perry almost $11.  This roster needs a lot of help.  The Packers have now lost, arguably, one of their top 2 db's and may lose their starting safety.   Now, we can all argue the talent and impact of Randall but that just proves how poor and talent depleted the position is on the roster.  

Edited by jurrassic

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, Mario Kart said:

Browns got the better of this trade. Way better.

Nah.  Randall is a dime a dozen player.  Gutless tackler.  Good riddance.  I wouldn’t expect him to turn his career around especially in Cleveland.  Bust they they actually got something for.  Nice move Gute.  

Edited by Sabertooth

11 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

Nah.  Randall is a dime a dozen player.  Gutless tackler.  Good riddance.  I wouldn’t expect him to turn his career around especially in Cleveland.  Bust they they actually got something for.  Nice move Gute.  

It seems both teams dumped players they've given up on, and neither is likely to make any difference at the new club.  That said, Randall was probably the best CB in Green Bay last season, as bad as he was at times.  If the new scouting/drafting guys do their job, the most important part of this deal will probably be the pick flip in 4th and 5th.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, jurrassic said:

I am not a fan of Randall on or off the field.   The trade doesn't bother me.  However, for everyone who just automatically assumes the Packers are going to sign a "CB or 2", where is the money coming from. They are bottom 10 in cap space available, with $19 million and half of that will need to go to draft picks.  That leaves roughly $9-10  million, assuming the Packers don't resign any of their own free agents (Burnett, Rodgers, Allison, Evans, Goode, McCray, etc.). Every team in the league is cutting high-priced, under-achieving veterans except the Packers.  They may still, but who and for how much.  I am all for the cutting/restructuring of guys but everything the Packers have said indicates they are less inclined to make those moves.  Hopefully that's just PR maneuvering.  It amazes me how bad some of these contracts are.  The Packers have, without a doubt, the highest paid wr corps in the league with both Nelson and Cobb scheduled to make over $12 million, and add Adams with over $10 million.  Does anyone, anywhere, think the Packers have the best wr's in the league?  The position everyone, universally agrees, needs an upgrade, outside pass rush, has 2 of their top 6 paid players.  Mathews has a cap number of $11 million and Perry almost $11.  This roster needs a lot of help.  The Packers have now lost, arguably, one of their top 2 db's and may lose their starting safety.   Now, we can all argue the talent and impact of Randall but that just proves how poor and talent depleted the position is on the roster.  

The fact that the position is so talent depleted is precisely why they'll address it in FA. You ain't gonna fix it all through the draft. And I believe they'll renegotiate Cobb's, Nelson's and Matthew's deals to create more cap space. I don't see them cutting any of them but renegotiating their deals will be the route they take. Don't think they'll sign any of the top end CBs in free agency but I'd be very surprised if they didn't at least bring in a couple of the lower end guys on prove it deals. I don't think any of the guys you mention of their FAs is priority.

Edited by KingPrawn

6 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

It seems both teams dumped players they've given up on, and neither is likely to make any difference at the new club.  That said, Randall was probably the best CB in Green Bay last season, as bad as he was at times.  If the new scouting/drafting guys do their job, the most important part of this deal will probably be the pick flip in 4th and 5th.

I think that is the part that is overlooked here. The Packers now have the first pick in rounds 4 & 5.

And I think Randall's time in GB was short anyway. I thought they did very well in getting anything for him. Likewise for Cleveland and Kizer. I don't think any one of the teams comes out ahead here although a slight nod to GB to see what McCarthy can do with Kizer. It was basically a swap of two players going nowhere with their teams and a change of scenery scenario. The draft picks is where it is at.

2 people like this

10 minutes ago, KingPrawn said:

I think that is the part that is overlooked here. The Packers now have the first pick in rounds 4 & 5.

And I think Randall's time in GB was short anyway. I thought they did very well in getting anything for him. Likewise for Cleveland and Kizer. I don't think any one of the teams comes out ahead here although a slight nod to GB to see what McCarthy can do with Kizer. It was basically a swap of two players going nowhere with their teams and a change of scenery scenario. The draft picks is where it is at.

Rob Demovsky had a couple interesting comments about Randall.

There was strong sentiment in the locker room at that time to give Randall the boot -- sources said McCarthy's committee of veteran players suggested that Randall be released -- but the Packers stood by him. He responded with a stretch of three straight games with an interception and finished with a team-high four picks, but he missed the final two games with a knee injury that some in the organization thought he could have played through. Then, Randall was critical of defensive coordinator Dom Capers, who was fired after the season.

1 person likes this

Randall improves some.  But still get pummeled badly over and over.  King was hurt.  But he’s really the only interesting CB they have at this point.  I think he’s better than Randall when healthy.  

Good riddance to Randall.  No better than a JAG despite his first round pedigree.  Was just a poor pick by Ted.  So many good players still on the board when they grabbed him too.  

Posted (edited)

I get plenty wrong but I totally nailed my assessment of Randall two Thanksgivings ago. :yes:

Edited by Sabertooth

58 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Rob Demovsky had a couple interesting comments about Randall.

As I said above...the attitude/offthe field stuff is what ended his time in GB.  On the field his play was good the latter half of the season.

Hoping he doesn’t pull a Hyde/Hayward and go off letting another team benefit from his development.

I don’t know about good. He improved to serviceable for a stretch before getting hurt again.  Maybe it was just the #### QBs  he faced for his “good stretch.”

Good riddance.  

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

As I said above...the attitude/offthe field stuff is what ended his time in GB.  On the field his play was good the latter half of the season.

Hoping he doesn’t pull a Hyde/Hayward and go off letting another team benefit from his development.

He’s not going to improve.  His problem  is he lacks courage.  

Edited by Sabertooth

To be honest after seeing Hundley this year, I’m not so confident Mike will be able to much with Kizer.  Hundley is literally the same guy the drafted (and that’s not a compliment).

Packers fans: We can't let Eliot Wolf get away!!

Eliot Wolf: **leaves GB and immediately trades for Damarious Randall**

8 minutes ago, BusterTBronco said:

DeShone Kizer?   Ha ha ha!  I love it!  Now the Packers have the two worst quarterbacks in the entire league on their roster.  Only the Packers would be stupid enough to trade for Kizer.  Nobody is going to be stupid enough to trade for Hundley.   Enjoy!

Something tells me the Jets would happily ship Hackenberg out for either of those two Packers...

1 hour ago, Chicago Hooligan said:

Packers fans: We can't let Eliot Wolf get away!!

Eliot Wolf: **leaves GB and immediately trades for Damarious Randall**

He must be the only guy who “gets” why Randall is getting torched constantly.  

6 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

If the new scouting/drafting guys do their job, the most important part of this deal will probably be the pick flip in 4th and 5th.

Exactly. This is what makes this trade worth it.

1 person likes this

Moving up to 4.01 and 5.01 makes me like this deal.  Being on the clock for 12+ hours as every team re-evaluates the draft is a nice plus.  

I don't think Randall is horrible, but I also don't think he'll become anything better than the player we know him to be.  It's hard to rate Kizer because of Cleveland's disaster of a season.  I'd like to erase that from his resume and just consider him a rookie all over again.  As a prospect I though he had a lot of potential.  Good size and arm.  He needed to go to a team where he could sit and learn since he only had two-years starting at Notre Dame and left school early.  He has that now.  

1 person likes this

Wait there are people who think Hundley is going to compete with Kizer? Seriously?

I like Kizer's potential but as a Packer fan I hope he never sees the field. That would mean Rodgers stayed healthy. I like the move from the standpoint that I don't think they will be in a position to draft a better young QB to develop behind Rodgers and I am hoping this means that they have decided to bring in some free agent CB help so they were willing to ship out Randall. Cleveland seems to be saying they needed to make room at QB because they were bringing in Tyrod and will probably draft a QB with one of their early first round picks so they had no room for Kizer. It seems to make sense for both sides.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Warhogs said:

I like Kizer's potential but as a Packer fan I hope he never sees the field. That would mean Rodgers stayed healthy. I like the move from the standpoint that I don't think they will be in a position to draft a better young QB to develop behind Rodgers and I am hoping this means that they have decided to bring in some free agent CB help so they were willing to ship out Randall. Cleveland seems to be saying they needed to make room at QB because they were bringing in Tyrod and will probably draft a QB with one of their early first round picks so they had no room for Kizer. It seems to make sense for both sides.

I hope Kizer plays the 4th quarter every week in a triple-digit Packer win.

5 people like this

Yeah this trade is more like addition by subtraction.  I don't think Randall was as terrible as Saber made him out to be but he was mediocre at best (being generous) and a clubhouse cancer to boot.  The Hundley experiment failed as well so even if Kizer fails that's 2 turds gone plus upgraded picks.  Factor in Kizer's youth there is more upside with him than Hundley.  I like the trade.  Though seeing what the Browns got for Shelton I'd be curious if the Pack inquired about him instead of Kizer.  I'd like to see a big body like Shelton plugging up the middle for the Pack.

I'm just happy hearing rumblings and seeing some activity from them and it's still early March.  Curious to see what they do these next few weeks.

2 people like this

I saw the notes in the news about the Packers showing interest in Sammy Watkins, Allen Robinson and Jimmy Graham. I wonder if this is a clear sign that the front office sees Jordy Nelson in steep decline or Randall Cobb not worth his contract or both. I have to imagine if they add any of these guys there is a good chance Jordy or Cobb are cut.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Warhogs said:

I saw the notes in the news about the Packers showing interest in Sammy Watkins, Allen Robinson and Jimmy Graham. I wonder if this is a clear sign that the front office sees Jordy Nelson in steep decline or Randall Cobb not worth his contract or both. I have to imagine if they add any of these guys there is a good chance Jordy or Cobb are cut.

Or it's part of the tactics to get some concessions from either or both players

1 person likes this

Sherman would have been a brilliant move, we could use his skill and toughness, but as usual we are too late to the party. Just like when to give up on a garbage QB, instead throw away one more season with Rodgers. 

1 hour ago, The Claymaker said:

Sherman would have been a brilliant move, we could use his skill and toughness, but as usual we are too late to the party. Just like when to give up on a garbage QB, instead throw away one more season with Rodgers. 

Just wait and see.  I think they have a move or two up there sleeves.  Sherman’s coming off a ruptured Achilles which is a tough injury for a 30 year old not known for his speed to begin with. Let someone else take that risk when there are other options out there. 

It's starting to look like new regime but same old methodology. Yesterday rumblings that they were going to make a push for Allen Robinson, Sammy Watkins and Jimmy Graham. Today talk that the WR are already being landed by someone else. I may feel OK about things if they add Graham even though I question how many more useful years he has. He would be a TE target they have been missing since Jermichael Finley. I think Jordy has lost a couple of steps and would have loved to see Watkins be that downfield threat for Rodgers. Now I feel they are still missing that deep home run maker at the receiver spot.

Waaaaaaaaay too early to be making any judgments about the new regime. If you expected them to go out and make a huge splash, I think you are going to be disappointed. If on the other hand, you want them to at least be engaged and involved in talks, then I think you'll be happy with a new direction.

I for one have zero issue with them avoiding the splurge and chaos of the opening period. Ted's problem was that he waited far too long to get involved, and wasn't really willing to adjust what he was willing to pay, so never got much of anything in free agency. I'm all for building from within, and leveraging the draft, but there are deals to be made out there. 

$16m per on Watkins? Pass.

4 people like this

One of Cobb or Nelson will be cut without a doubt. I think timing of the cut will be predicated on what type of receiver they get in FA and when. I think Ty Montgomery moves back to wr full time and that makes Cobb the likely cut. It was evident Jordy wasn’t healthy the entire season. I would love him to restructure as I still think he has another great year in him. 

More pressing to me is toght end. I’m not sold on Graham and the money he will command. Awesome red zone guy at this stage of his career but he is not even close to being as explosive as he was several years back. We need an athletic tight end who can work the middle of the field. 

With all that, the offense is the least of my worries. The first priority should be to find a pass rush. He is a fan favorite sonit wont happen, but Clay should be cut. She’ll of his former self. They need to find an edge rusher at OLB. I know, easier said then done. 

The secondary was putrid but could be helped with a semblance of a rush.