Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
NewlyRetired

Survivor Season 39 (Island of the Idols): Starts Wednesday Sep. 25, 2019

17 minutes ago, MattFancy said:

I agree. The extra vote thing just seems too tough to be able to use. Really would only come in handy if the vote is going to be tied. Now, if it was a way to take away a vote from yourself, that would be interesting. The fake idol is useful because he could hang it over everyone and make them think you have an idol or you could do what David did last season and stash it somewhere and hope someone else finds it and thinks they are safe.

Also if you can use the extra vote once the other votes are revealed, they have done that once before IIRC, it would be much more usable. 

Could also give the idol to someone as a sign of trust, I think that would be the best way to use it. Then you know who has it and can use that to your advantage. 

Edited by Kraft...

4 hours ago, Jayrok said:

"I've met Presidents and Prime Ministers, so I'm not awestruck very often... but it is a real honor and privilege to meet someone like Cochran.  He's won this game!"  

:lmao:

I am 100% certain she has weekly tea parties with them in her padded cell.

• Like 1

They should also bring back Redemption Island without telling anyone. Like when they get down to 6, the next 3 that are voted off go there and compete to come back in the game. Then when the final 3 think they are the final 3, surprise, here comes so-and-so back into the game.

P.S. No way Debbie didn't take matters into her own hands minutes after Cochran left. She looked like she wanted to devour him. 

11 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

I really liked how Jeff kept adding ...and, the losing tribe, also, gets Debbie! like it was a fate worse than death

:lol: I immediately said to my wife... "that's almost as bad as getting voted off"

1 minute ago, The Noid said:

P.S. No way Debbie didn't take matters into her own hands minutes after Cochran left. She looked like she wanted to devour him. 

She totally left a snail trail. 

1 hour ago, CanadianNFLJunkie said:

Umm why would that work when no one but Debbie knows about what happened on the boat/ship plus there are two tribes with equal numbers.  Unless they do something once they merge I can't see that happening..... :shrug:

only would work if you could make a fake clue as well

-QG

5 hours ago, Jayrok said:

"I've met Presidents and Prime Ministers, so I'm not awestruck very often... but it is a real honor and privilege to meet someone like Cochran.  He's won this game!"  

:lmao:

Best line of the night. She is truly and utterly crazy, it's not editing. At this point, you know she believes what she's saying.

On 3/29/2017 at 5:56 PM, Don't Toews Me said:

So JT is an idiot.

Debbie is incredibly annoying.

Sandra is fat and useless.

And Michaela has anger management issues.

Basically sums up tonight's episode.

I just watched last week's and am catching up, and finally wanted to post to :blackdot: the thread, too.

I love Michaela.  I know she's surly, but I just love her - she's badass at challenges, smart, and hot.  I couldn't stop :lmao: while she was pouring and drinking that coffee.

Since all you guys get to comment on the hotness of the women... I was crushed - CRUSHED - when Malcolm was voted out, but at least Ozzy is starting to get back into Ozzy form after a little time on the Survivor diet.  He showed up looking a bit puffy.  JT would be the best-looking one if he (1) never opened his mouth (those teeth and that accent and that stupidity) and (2) never took his shirt off.

Is there any former winner who's played as bad as JT did on this season?  I'm sure there must be, but getting your best ally voted out with nothing to show for it, and then getting voted out yourself the next week while in possession of a HII, is epically bad.

• Like 4

had a conversation with a former Survivor player last Saturday and asked her specifically about Debbie's mental state. her reply, "Oh, yeah. She's ####-ing crazy for sure. Not an act."  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CanadianNFLJunkie said:

Umm why would that work when no one but Debbie knows about what happened on the boat/ship plus there are two tribes with equal numbers.  Unless they do something once they merge I can't see that happening..... :shrug:

Yeah, it would work better after the merge, but Debbie's going to tell people something - either the truth (at least about the boat part) or the lie that it was the typical exile island.  If she lies and someone goes the next week, gets the island version, and comes back telling the truth, she'll think they're lying. If she tells the truth and the same thing happens, the others will end up thinking she was lying. 

I don't know how it would actually play out, but it could be fun. 

• Like 1

Did they say that Exile Island was happening every week or are they just using it due to the two team merge and the odd numbers?

14 hours ago, Kraft... said:

I liked the Exile twist was a cool change IMO 

Took a smart player like Zeke to get rid of The Queen, she played a solid game just bad luck on the tribe shuffle. 

She's definitely had her share of good luck during her winning seasons, so I don't feel that bad for her, but I do hate to see good players get screwed like that. It's especially tough when the shuffle gives another player like Tai such an incredible advantage. Pretty darn unfair that one clue ends up giving him two immunity idols.

2 hours ago, krista4 said:

Is there any former winner who's played as bad as JT did on this season?  I'm sure there must be, but getting your best ally voted out with nothing to show for it, and then getting voted out yourself the next week while in possession of a HII, is epically bad.

We'll it depends.  On heros vs villains JT on the heros side gave an idiot to Russel of the villains side who then in turn gave the idol to Parvita who eventually used that idol and one she had found to save Jerri and Sandra. Saving those two caused  JT to be voted off instead.  Long story short, JT is an idiot.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jhib said:

She's definitely had her share of good luck during her winning seasons, so I don't feel that bad for her, but I do hate to see good players get screwed like that. It's especially tough when the shuffle gives another player like Tai such an incredible advantage. Pretty darn unfair that one clue ends up giving him two immunity idols.

Yeah, but it's not like Sandra has ever even looked for an idol (at least what we are shown).  Tai finds idols cause Tai looks for idols.  He was even called out on it at tribal.

I keep thinking all that talk at tribal for Ozzy was just a ploy.  They all voted Sandra and Tai didn't play his idol.  He had to know that Sandra was the vote for sure.

Not sure if I was Tai that I could have sat there and not played an idol when I had 2 in my pocket.  

12 minutes ago, jhib said:

Unfair? Everyone else had the same opportunity Tai had. By definition, that is fair. He was lucky of course, but nothing was unfair. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jhib said:

She was lucky to win her second game of Survivor. imo Parvita out played her but a bitter jury voted for Sandra instead. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mile High said:

We'll it depends.  On heros vs villains JT on the heros side gave an idiot to Russel of the villains side who then in turn gave the idol to Parvita who eventually used that idol and one she had found to save Jerri and Sandra. Saving those two caused  JT to be voted off instead.  Long story short, JT is an idiot.

:lmao:  Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder.

13 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Unfair? Everyone else had the same opportunity Tai had. By definition, that is fair. He was lucky of course, but nothing was unfair. 

Okay, okay, poor choice of words. 

Anyway, the timing and result of the shuffle, as well as the fact that they put the II's in the same spots in both camps, all ended up being incredibly advantageous for him.  

I missed a chance to watch last weeks episode with former winner Bob Crowley but since I wasn't caught up I didn't go.  Would have been interesting to get his perspective since he knows some of the people on the show.  My mom has watched some episodes with him since they go to the same RV resort for the winter.

I thought Varner and Sandra made a mistake by voting for Tai. Basically 1 of 3 things was going to happen at tribal:

1) the 5 others were going to vote for Sandra. Sandra and Varner's votes would be irrelevent and Sandra goes home.

2) the 4 others were flipping on Tai and Tai either doesn't have an idol or doesn't play an idol. Sandra and Varner's votes would be irrelevent and Tai goes home.

3) the 4 others were flipping on Tai and Tai plays an idol. If Sandra and Varner vote for Tai then the only vote that counts is Tai's and Sandra still goes home. Sandra and Varner should have voted for one of the other 4 in case the 4 flipped and Tai played an idol. As we know from History, Tai is very good at finding idols.

In the end it did not matter, but I still like to see players playing the game right.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, krista4 said:

I love Michaela.  I know she's surly, but I just love her - she's badass at challenges, smart, and hot.  I couldn't stop :lmao: while she was pouring and drinking that coffee.

so smart, such a strong will, great in the physical challenges, super hot but holy #### she has not filter.. or care for other's perception.  too much is.... too much.  keep hoping she'll realize a little manipulation goes a long way in Survivor but she can't help herself.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, James Bond said:

Did they say that Exile Island was happening every week or are they just using it due to the two team merge and the odd numbers?

They didn't say. But I have a hunch that this was a one time thing.

1 hour ago, mr. furley said:

so smart, such a strong will, great in the physical challenges, super hot but holy #### she has not filter.. or care for other's perception.  too much is.... too much.  keep hoping she'll realize a little manipulation goes a long way in Survivor but she can't help herself.

There are a bunch of bigger threats to target, so hopefully she can keep it together long enough out outlast other physical players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mr. furley said:
18 hours ago, krista4 said:

:thumbup: both posts

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CanadianNFLJunkie said:

Why?  People have found an idol without any clue(s)....not necessarily needed.

But the format this year has been clue leading to where you need to dig.  In spots that otherwise wouldn't be obvious place to dig.  Besides the real idols come with a note.

Only real way to play the fake would be to plant it on someone and then 'discover' it.

I think the extra vote has failed beforw because of stupid decisions by those possessing them (such as splitting the two votes).

And in a season where a tie vote means drawing rocks being able to break that tie is that much more crucial.

-QG

Debbie will be pompous if and when she gets to use her extra vote.  I hope she goes off on some tirade on one or more at some TC and says  "Jeff.. if I may?  As you all know, I'm a fighter... I know how to read people and get things done because I know how to gather intel.  I trained with Seal team 6 back in novagueranda and was heavily recruited by their commanding officer to be an instructor... but I had to decline because I wanted to finish up my novel... you don't get to where I am without being the best at what you do.  Some of you, Brad Culpepper, tried to test my mettle back at our old tribe.  But you didn't win.. you can't win.  When you've been on the circuit as long as I have, you learn how to adapt and overcome adversity.  And you master how to deal with meatheads like yourself.  I've been laying low, kicking ### and taking names since I got back from exile island.  And I've got something for you.  I told you that you once broke my heart... well, tonight, I'm going to return the favor.  *BAM*, I got two votes coming your way.  Au Revoir, you son of a #####!"

... only to have it backfire on her and send her home.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, QuizGuy66 said:

But the format this year has been clue leading to where you need to dig.  In spots that otherwise wouldn't be obvious place to dig.  Besides the real idols come with a note.

Only real way to play the fake would be to plant it on someone and then 'discover' it.

I think the extra vote has failed beforw because of stupid decisions by those possessing them (such as splitting the two votes).

And in a season where a tie vote means drawing rocks being able to break that tie is that much more crucial.

-QG

:shrug: And how many people in this season KNOW you need a clue? 3-4??

1 hour ago, Jayrok said:

Debbie will be pompous if and when she gets to use her extra vote.  I hope she goes off on some tirade on one or more at some TC and says  "Jeff.. if I may?  As you all know, I'm a fighter... I know how to read people and get things done because I know how to gather intel.  I trained with Seal team 6 back in novagueranda and was heavily recruited by their commanding officer to be an instructor... but I had to decline because I wanted to finish up my novel... you don't get to where I am without being the best at what you do.  Some of you, Brad Culpepper, tried to test my mettle back at our old tribe.  But you didn't win.. you can't win.  When you've been on the circuit as long as I have, you learn how to adapt and overcome adversity.  And you master how to deal with meatheads like yourself.  I've been laying low, kicking ### and taking names since I got back from exile island.  And I've got something for you.  I told you that you once broke my heart... well, tonight, I'm going to return the favor.  *BAM*, I got two votes coming your way.  Au Revoir, you son of a #####!"

... only to have it backfire on her and send her home.  

:clap: Gotta mix in a "I'M PISSED!!!" in there somewhere.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dhockster said:

I thought Varner and Sandra made a mistake by voting for Tai. Basically 1 of 3 things was going to happen at tribal:

1) the 5 others were going to vote for Sandra. Sandra and Varner's votes would be irrelevent and Sandra goes home.

2) the 4 others were flipping on Tai and Tai either doesn't have an idol or doesn't play an idol. Sandra and Varner's votes would be irrelevent and Tai goes home.

3) the 4 others were flipping on Tai and Tai plays an idol. If Sandra and Varner vote for Tai then the only vote that counts is Tai's and Sandra still goes home. Sandra and Varner should have voted for one of the other 4 in case the 4 flipped and Tai played an idol. As we know from History, Tai is very good at finding idols.

In the end it did not matter, but I still like to see players playing the game right.

Then again, they may have believed he was going to vote Ozzy, so they voted Tai thinking if everyone else voted for Tai, he played an idol and he truly was going to vote Ozzy, Ozzy would be gone and they wouldn't look like they helped :shrug:

if Tai was 'making a move', it didn't make any sense. if he was trying to throw Sandra off the trail that they were voting her out, why bother? she knew she didn't have the numbers, they could have just said "nice playing with you" and be done with it. why that whole thing about voting out Ozzy? all he did was paint a target in his back for the next vote.

am I missing something, or is Tai just nuts?

I think they left off a big portion of tribal council in the editing that would have cleared up what was going on with Tai not voting Ozzy but back to Sandra.  I think they must have come to a strong agreement that it ruined the suspense of the vote and as such took that part of the tc out.

• Like 3

It's possible the whole "vote Ozzy" thing was a ruse to keep Sandra from coming up with a plan that could fracture the group. Maybe they told Tai before TC to appear paranoid, put out Ozzy's name, and confuse Sandra just enough to keep her from scheming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maik Jeaunz said:

if Tai was 'making a move', it didn't make any sense. if he was trying to throw Sandra off the trail that they were voting her out, why bother? she knew she didn't have the numbers, they could have just said "nice playing with you" and be done with it. why that whole thing about voting out Ozzy? all he did was paint a target in his back for the next vote.

am I missing something, or is Tai just nuts?

16 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

It's possible the whole "vote Ozzy" thing was a ruse to keep Sandra from coming up with a plan that could fracture the group. Maybe they told Tai before TC to appear paranoid, put out Ozzy's name, and confuse Sandra just enough to keep her from scheming.

Im pretty sure it was all a ruze. 

21 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Tai is just paranoid. No appear paranoid to it. He messed up his game on his first season and will mess up his game this season as well

On 4/5/2017 at 9:15 PM, Baloney Sandwich said:

Glad Sandra is out but I will say out of her three seasons this was by far her best in terms of game play. 

I agree with this.  She was actually growing on me a little bit.  I cannot stand Tai.  That was definitely a plan and I have to admit he played his part well.

You cannot tell me he's not getting help finding those idols.

On 4/6/2017 at 7:20 AM, 2Young2BBald said:

On 4/5/2017 at 9:14 PM, elbowrm said:

so Debbie's 3 choices - I think she should have a) asked Cochran for his advice on the choice and b) taken the tribe reward - that extra vote is going to be really hard for her to play in a way that doesn't put a target on her back.  You take the tribe reward and don't discuss the other choices and don't look back.

Totally agree, the tribe advantage was the only choice of the three.  She could win favor with her new tribe, possibly stay away from tribal for three more days and share the three choices to out them for future players who are sent there (if any).  Instead, her crazy ### reason was likely so she could boot Culpepper if they both make a merge.  Such a moron.  Conversely, Tai has game.  I would like to know if he came up with last nights act or if it was someone else.  That was awesome.  A bit too much editing, but still awesome on its own.

I disagree.  I definitely take the extra vote and keep my mouth shut, at least until I see if anyone else gets the luxury exile island.  An extra vote is huge.

I don't think Tai has game other than having producer's give him idols.  I do give him credit for that acting job though.  I don't think the first part was real with Zeke or Ozzy then telling everyone stick to the plan.  Sandra's face at the end when she got the second vote showed it was a clear blindside.  The producer's got me with that one though because I really wanted Tai to go over Sandra.

28 minutes ago, Corporation said:

I agree with this.  She was actually growing on me a little bit.  I cannot stand Tai.  That was definitely a plan and I have to admit he played his part well.

You cannot tell me he's not getting help finding those idols.

What do you base this on? I'm pretty sure cheating on a show like this is against the law. What does the show have to gain by helping someone like Tai? He's well liked, but they always have and always will have contestants that are liked. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Corporation said:

I don't think Tai has game other than having producer's give him idols.  

Doesn't it seem like the producers are always messing with something? Especially this season. Old man Troyzan is on the bottom and suddenly an idol appears. 

Drop your buffs moments, extra votes, multiple hidden idols, exile island, etc. It's like they are doing everything they can just to stir up a #### storm. 

1 hour ago, Corporation said:

I disagree.  I definitely take the extra vote and keep my mouth shut, at least until I see if anyone else gets the luxury exile island.  An extra vote is huge.

I don't think Tai has game other than having producer's give him idols.  I do give him credit for that acting job though.  I don't think the first part was real with Zeke or Ozzy then telling everyone stick to the plan.  Sandra's face at the end when she got the second vote showed it was a clear blindside.  The producer's got me with that one though because I really wanted Tai to go over Sandra.

I'll give you 2:1 that she is not able to use that vote successfully.  

Producer's giving player's idol's?

Thank goodness Sandra is out. Her arrogance factor was already off the charts. I don't think I could have listened to much more to her "The Queen" garbage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leftcoastguy7 said:

Doesn't it seem like the producers are always messing with something? Especially this season. Old man Troyzan is on the bottom and suddenly an idol appears.

It always feels like that because it's an edited story. The editors know Troyzan found the idol, so they edited the lead up to that to emphasize him in trouble so that there was a payoff. 

If Ozzy found that idol, the editors would have used all the interviews where the other contestants said he was a physical threat and had to go. If Varner finds an idol it'd all be interviews of him saying he is in a terrible position in the tribe.

It's not an impartial documentary. They are limited by time to only showing what is essential and they're crafting a storyline too. If the show was 30 minutes of everyone else looking for an idol and failing, it'd be the most boring show on TV. I assure you everyone else looks for idols, we just don't see he ones that don't pay off. 

That's the art of TV. 

• Like 7

On 4/5/2017 at 9:15 PM, Baloney Sandwich said:

Glad Sandra is out but I will say out of her three seasons this was by far her best in terms of game play. 

shtick?

she won the other two

3 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

What do you base this on? I'm pretty sure cheating on a show like this is against the law. What does the show have to gain by helping someone like Tai? He's well liked, but they always have and always will have contestants that are liked. 

What law?

3 hours ago, elbowrm said:

I'll give you 2:1 that she is not able to use that vote successfully.  

Producer's giving player's idol's?

I didn't say she would use it successfully. Even with a competent player it could end up useless but I stand by the extra vote being the most powerful. 

I do not mean they literally give him the idol, but it would not shock me if they allowed him to overhear things or if they loitered around the spot while he was looking. 

1 hour ago, NREC34 said:

What law?

The amendments to the Communications Act of 1934, and, 47 U.S.C. §509. 

I know some TV network Broadcast Standards people. These shows are very much contested on the level, even moreso than many people think. But while the contest itself is fair, it's the editing afterwards that really is where the image is shaped. 

• Like 3

On Friday, April 07, 2017 at 4:46 PM, CanadianNFLJunkie said:

:shrug: And how many people in this season KNOW you need a clue? 3-4??

Well they should get a clue in that case :)

-QG

Am I the only one that is annoyed that Probst says the exact same phrases over and over?  

Bring it in guys!

First look at the new blah-blah tribe.  Joe Schmo, voted off at tribal council.

Wanna know what you're playing for?

Once again, immunity... back up for grabs.

I mean, the whole "the tribe has spoken" makes sense, it's the catchphrase.  But the dude is an absolute robot otherwise, and after 34 seasons you'd think he'd at least mix it up a little.  It drives me effing crazy.  

• Like 3