Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
NewlyRetired

Survivor Season 39 (Island of the Idols): Starts Wednesday Sep. 25, 2019

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, snogger said:

That vote made zero strategic sense.. You had Vince who would have stuck to your voting block to the end.. Tom on the other hand will flop as soon as he can. :loco: 

Agreed.  He was going to stick with the girls, so bad move on their part.  For the guys, if they have any thoughts the girls were allied, getting rid of a guy (even if you think he's voting with the women) isn't smart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious to hear what was whispered between the girls at TC.  Guess it was they were reassuring her it was going to be Vince and not her.  Heavily edited episode it seems.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, first good thing I will say about this season, I liked the idea of sneaking into the opposing tribes camp and getting fire (he brought back ashes as it was out).  This was a pretty cool idea.  Now, I still can't stand Rob and Sanda.  Her teaching him to crawl was ridiculous. 

How does he not use that idol on himself?  It is only good at this tribal and the next.  If he felt that strong in his new alliance, then he would likely feel the same way next tribal if he is right.  NO reason to keep that idol in your pocket.  If it was a normal idol, I can understand more if he felt he trusted them, but he thought he was out last tribal, no way I do not play it this tribal. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rob always looks like he just woke up from an all night bender.  #bloodshoteyes

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

Rob always looks like he just woke up from an all night bender.  #bloodshoteyes

yeah, my wife says he looks like he's high all the time- bloodshot squinty eyes and a plastered on smile.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Raging weasel said:

yeah, my wife says he looks like he's high all the time- bloodshot squinty eyes and a plastered on smile.

Well, in his defense, he does have to spend all that time with Sandra.  Imagine they have a full bar available in their camp.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always funny watching someone leave with an idol in there pocket.   I think that guy forgot he is still a dude even if acts like a girl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to think the comment during tribal along the lines of 'vote for your group whether there's a merge or swap coming' was left in because there's a swap coming. Three episodes in seems to be about normal nowadays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mozzy84 said:

That was painful to read.  He said yo about 50 times lol.  So glad he’s gone 

found his use of the word "queer" to be a little strange....maybe I am out of touch, but I thought that was one of the words we aren't supposed to use any more....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stinkin Ref said:

found his use of the word "queer" to be a little strange....maybe I am out of touch, but I thought that was one of the words we aren't supposed to use any more....

 

You can, it just doesn't mean what it used to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

 

You can, it just doesn't mean what it used to. 

not to derail the thread....but could you explain....seriously I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything...I'm must just be out of touch with this and am a little confused....because he seems to be using it to describe exactly what I thought it "used to mean"...

edit: so I just did a little research....and I guess it is okay now.....but I would still fear that a person who is queer would not know that I am not using it the way it used to be used and would think I was being derogatory....so probably still an "avoid" for me...

Edited by Stinkin Ref

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stinkin Ref said:

not to derail the thread....but could you explain....seriously I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything...I'm must just be out of touch with this and am a little confused....because he seems to be using it to describe exactly what I thought it "used to mean"...

It doesn't mean strictly homosexual. As in "I think that guy is a queer". That would be frowned upon usage. 

Instead it's an "identity" that is more nuanced. Queer men and queer women are more likely to be 'gender-fluid', and more non-traditional in how they express it. Queer women may date men, for example, and not strictly be lesbian, nor feel "bi-sexual" applies to them either. It generally means non-traditional--going against both traditional heterosexual and traditional homosexual tropes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

It doesn't mean strictly homosexual. As in "I think that guy is a queer". That would be frowned upon usage. 

Instead it's an "identity" that is more nuanced. Queer men and queer women are more likely to be 'gender-fluid', and more non-traditional in how they express it. Queer women may date men, for example, and not strictly be lesbian, nor feel "bi-sexual" applies to them either. It generally means non-traditional--going against both traditional heterosexual and traditional homosexual tropes. 

thanks...I added an edit to my post above after doing a little research....thanks for the info tho...I'm old so its a little confusing..

Edited by Stinkin Ref

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Karishma nicking her finger, claiming it was cut to the bone, dramatically coming close to passing out due to three drops of blood coming out, then declaring her tribe dead to her for not rushing to her side to add to her drama was an underrated sequence. 

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Karishma nicking her finger, claiming it was cut to the bone, dramatically coming close to passing out due to three drops of blood coming out, then declaring her tribe dead to her for not rushing to her side to add to her drama was an underrated sequence. 

Yeah, that was messed up that not one of her tribe mates offered any help.  Not sure if true or not it but hope cbs showing it accurately.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, stlrams said:

Yeah, that was messed up that not one of her tribe mates offered any help.  Not sure if true or not it but hope cbs showing it accurately.  

My wife and I debated this last night. At least in terms of the edit, my wife was upset that nobody even acknowledged her injury or noticed when she was hunched over away from the fire. 

I think her reaction was nonchalant enough not to raise any reaction from the tribe at the time of the injury. She didn’t scream, shout, cry, or feel the need to put direct pressure on a cut that went to the bone (hell, the camera guy had enough time to get some close-ups of her palm). Maybe she was in shock or had never injured herself previously, but a first-reaction would have been to grab a buff or something and put it on the cut, right? 

And the “tribe is dead to me” was framed immediately following the “I’m different - I’m conservative - I’m representing a whole group of people on t.v. and trying to fit in and don’t know if these women like me narrative,” so I think there’s a bunch we didn’t see televised. 

Edited by Quint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 9:54 AM, rick6668 said:

OK, first good thing I will say about this season, I liked the idea of sneaking into the opposing tribes camp and getting fire (he brought back ashes as it was out).  This was a pretty cool idea.  Now, I still can't stand Rob and Sanda.  Her teaching him to crawl was ridiculous. 

How does he not use that idol on himself?  It is only good at this tribal and the next.  If he felt that strong in his new alliance, then he would likely feel the same way next tribal if he is right.  NO reason to keep that idol in your pocket.  If it was a normal idol, I can understand more if he felt he trusted them, but he thought he was out last tribal, no way I do not play it this tribal. 

Yeah, not playing it was completely stupid. Going to idol island creates some instant distrust hence splitting the vote. If he was the target all along he was awful at reading the fact that no one was including him. I’d always use it the first week. If it’s useful for longer than two weeks, sure some thinking to do but clearly he wasn’t 100% confident and then you never wait to use it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's safe to say that I'm not sure about this season.  In general.  I really don't care about anyone yet.  No eye candy.  Nothing really interesting.  I'm not a hater of Boston Rob and/or Sandra, but the whole premise is pretty dumb.  Very meh on this season.  I'll continue to watch, will continue to check in here, but after what... 15 years?  I'm not caring about this much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:25 AM, Quint said:

My wife and I debated this last night. At least in terms of the edit, my wife was upset that nobody even acknowledged her injury or noticed when she was hunched over away from the fire. 

I think her reaction was nonchalant enough not to raise any reaction from the tribe at the time of the injury. She didn’t scream, shout, cry, or feel the need to put direct pressure on a cut that went to the bone (hell, the camera guy had enough time to get some close-ups of her palm). Maybe she was in shock or had never injured herself previously, but a first-reaction would have been to grab a buff or something and put it on the cut, right? 

And the “tribe is dead to me” was framed immediately following the “I’m different - I’m conservative - I’m representing a whole group of people on t.v. and trying to fit in and don’t know if these women like me narrative,” so I think there’s a bunch we didn’t see televised. 

We had the same discussion and I was of the side of she barely made any fuss when it happened....and even the comment seemed like a complete exaggeration since there was no panic associated with it.  It was almost a hushed "I just cut myself to the bone".  I am wondering how many people actually heard her say that at all. 

 

It didn't really seem like a very deep cut but I do know people that will pass out rather easily under circumstances like that (not much food, hot, weak, etc) when they see blood or get injured.  So I can see her almost fainting....plus since she went to her knees right away it seems like a condition she may have experienced before a few times so she knows when it's coming on (my wife is like that). 

 

All in all just a weird sequence of events.  I definitely think it was edited weirdly to not really show what really happened in the tribe response.  Plus it wasn't even brought up in tribal.  I would have thought she would have blown up about that or at least mentioned how they all left her after she cut herself "to the bone". 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2019 at 1:03 PM, Walking Boot said:

Karishma nicking her finger, claiming it was cut to the bone, dramatically coming close to passing out due to three drops of blood coming out, then declaring her tribe dead to her for not rushing to her side to add to her drama was an underrated sequence. 

Did anyone else think about George Thorogood when she said this?  Bad to the Bone

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. Another goes home with an HII. 

I'm starting to like Missy but she might need to tone it down just a tad. Her target will start to grow. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Karishma is a Petyr Baelish fan. Nice.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

:lmao: at them making that girl sit in the challenge!

 

I told the wife that I wanted her team to lose that challenge just to see her talk smack afterwards. 

Edited by In The Zone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

:lmao: at them making that girl sit in the challenge!

That was great.  Even though they won, I bet she was unpleasant afterwards.

8 hours ago, EYLive said:

Karishma is a Petyr Baelish fan. Nice.

Caught that as soon as she said it. :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember that "Girls Alliance" talk?? Worked out great yet again. ...39 seasons and a "All Girls Alliance" has yet to ever stick together. :lol: 

Edited by snogger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love how she cut Rob off and said "I'm in!"  I'm sure there was more if she would have thought a little about.  He would have sweetened the pot like with the others.

I don't know if she is in any type of alliance but, really, the advantage would have helped her alliance in that she could block someone's vote.  If she didn't get to guide the challenge she loses her vote.  She could have just said that to her alliance and not the group and it would be in their best interest to let her call.  But she may be on the bottom and have no numbers, I can't remember.  

Don't think Rob told her it was only good for the next TC or not (she didn't let him get any words out).  Maybe he didn't get a chance to tell her. But if it was her advantage to use any time in the game, she should have come up with another story to tell.  She tried to just bully them into agreeing to let her call.  How could that have possibly backfired on her?  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, snogger said:

Remember that "Girls Alliance" talk?? Worked out great yet again. ...39 seasons and a "All Girls Alliance" has yet to ever stick together. :lol: 

Yep.  They are always vindictive sooner or later.  But, Missy did say they'd still have the girls majority even if they vote off a girl.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

But she may be on the bottom and have no numbers, I can't remember.

If I'm recalling correctly she was on the bottom of the tribe.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, snogger said:

Remember that "Girls Alliance" talk?? Worked out great yet again. ...39 seasons and a "All Girls Alliance" has yet to ever stick together. :lol: 

 Parvati won her season with a strong female alliance. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, snogger said:

Remember that "Girls Alliance" talk?? Worked out great yet again. ...39 seasons and a "All Girls Alliance" has yet to ever stick together. :lol: 

 

6 hours ago, Mile High said:

 Parvati won her season with a strong female alliance. 

Kim Spradlin also won her season after leading a strong female alliance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone think Aaron was African American? I didn't put much thought into it but I would have guessed middle-eastern/Indian-ish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EYLive said:

Did anyone think Aaron was African American? I didn't put much thought into it but I would have guessed middle-eastern/Indian-ish.

Didn't think he was until Missy said it, to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who was voted off last night?  Fell asleep just as they were going to vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Didn't think he was until Missy said it, to be honest.

Same here.

37 minutes ago, chet said:

Who was voted off last night?  Fell asleep just as they were going to vote.

 

35 minutes ago, Plaid Boxer said:

Chelsea, with an idol in her pocket. 

Yeah, the only semblance of eye candy left.  2 weeks in a row.  Sheesh.  

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EYLive said:

Did anyone think Aaron was African American? I didn't put much thought into it but I would have guessed middle-eastern/Indian-ish.

I guess I kinda saw him as "annoying alpha male/frat bro/gonna get #MeToo'ed" someday type before I saw race. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, Noura is still going to lose her vote at the next tribal council she goes to ... and there is a swap next week.  Will be interesting to see if that backfires on her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this has been stated or not... but, saw an article online today that was discussing the lying that is taking place when people return from their Rob/Sandra visit.. sounds like the show is making them lie.

 

Quote

Tangent: Last week, during Vince’s interview with RHAP’s Rob Cesternino, Rob asked, “Vince, if you wanted to, could you have told the truth about what you saw on the Island of the Idols?”

Vince’s reply was this: “Rob, you’re putting me in a hard-### place. I don’t know if I can answer that.”

With that and other evidence—unnamed players from this season have told previous Survivor contestants that they were instructed to lie—it seems pretty clear to me that the Island of the Idols visitors were told explicitly not to tell anyone, even though that’s not what Jeff Probst says. There’s no reason for Vince to have deferred answering if Island of the Idols visitors really did have the agency that Probst said they have. And forcing them to lie really sucks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2019 at 6:39 PM, PinkydaPimp said:

:lmao: at them making that girl sit in the challenge!

how dumb can she be? instead of all that nonsense she tried to feed the tribe, she could have just waited until they got to the challenge and said "I have a loud voice, I'll do it." I doubt anyone would have challenged her.

what a maroon.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maik Jeaunz said:

how dumb can she be? instead of all that nonsense she tried to feed the tribe, she could have just waited until they got to the challenge and said "I have a loud voice, I'll do it." I doubt anyone would have challenged her.

what a maroon.

And something tells me she didn't "resign" from her last job as a CPA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man this season is pretty bad.  Yes, I'll still watch.  Yes, I'll still check in here.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Karishmya is one of the weakest players in recent history, both physically and socially.  Unfortunately, I think she'll be here awhile.  They cast their lot tonight, just waiting for the merge.  

Tom had a truly classy exit.  Felt genuine.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, terrible move. Tom's value as a "threat" doesn't even compare to the risk of going to even one additional TC by keeping Karishma around. It could be 3-4 more tcs before the merge.  

I can see dumping a younger super threat when the game is down to 13 or 14 players. But dumping a 60 year old (even a former pro athlete) at 16 to drag along a goat was dumb.

At least we only got 1 dose of Rob and Sandra tonight

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the best part about that episode was the tiny bit of air time for Rob and that other one.  

Although it was pretty interesting to watch Noura fondle herself while walking down the beach with the other two.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TLEF316 said:

Yeah, terrible move

What if the goal is to get as many of your original tribe to the merge?

Edited by Mile High

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mile High said:

What if the goal is to protect your original tribe?

IMO, this early in the game, the only goal should be to go to TC as few times as possible. Every time you go is A) a chance to be voted out and B) a chance to make enemies by lying about a blind side.

By the time they merge, there's a good chance people will have been with their "new tribe" for just as long as the original tribe.  A lot can happen in 8-10 days. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.