What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 42: Starts Wednesday March 9, 2022 (5 Viewers)

I didn't really like any of the final players and really disliked Dean but thought he probably deserved to win it all with his strong finish and having to fight to get even that far. He also seemed like he was killing the other 2 in the Q and A so was really surprised it wasn't even close.

Probably a bottom 3 season overall due to casting and all the social drama involved but still entertaining.

Yeah where in the world does that $15K figure even come from?  Sia:  I’m gonna give away $215K....now let me think how I should split that up. 
Tax level?  Maybe she thought $100k and the taxes were worth it on the other two, and he was just worth what she didn't have to pay taxes on.

And Elaine was probably my favorite player this season, so I'm glad she got $100K from Sia.
I second this.

Next season will be either a complete cluster or awesome ... I see no middle ground.

So assuming the jury is open minded when they go to final tribal, do you think Janet or Lauren would have been able to put up as good a case for winning as Tommy? I thought Tommy told his story very well, and I don't know if Janet or Lauren would have been able to tell their stories as well. Unless it is truly a popularity contest, Dean might have had a better shot at winning against one of the other two.

Going into the final tribal I thought Dean had it easily.  He seemed to make more moves and was always playing and winning immunities and making moves. Noura was just a placeholder and I never really saw Tommy as much of a threat.  For game play I thought Dean should have easily won.  However, Tommy pleaded his case very well and Noura actually had a moment or two of coherency that made me think she was going to get at least a vote.  In the end I didn't have a problem with either Tommy or Dean winning however I would have voted for Dean.  Noura is just a flighty idiot and was still just a placeholder.

Going into the final tribal I thought Dean had it easily.  He seemed to make more moves and was always playing and winning immunities and making moves. Noura was just a placeholder and I never really saw Tommy as much of a threat.  For game play I thought Dean should have easily won.  However, Tommy pleaded his case very well and Noura actually had a moment or two of coherency that made me think she was going to get at least a vote.  In the end I didn't have a problem with either Tommy or Dean winning however I would have voted for Dean.  Noura is just a flighty idiot and was still just a placeholder.
I don't think Noura was an idiot or a placeholder. Noura won the most individual immunity challenges (three). She could create chaos when she felt it would help her, and it usually did. She was a wild card, and she could make other contestants' heads spin. She could be mildy entertaining, but she could also be obnoxious with her babbling nonsense, and it seemed to annoy the castaways sometimes. Her personality is nutty, but she was competitive throughout the game. 

I would have voted for Tommy. He didn't win challenges, but he was always plotting. He was very good at gaining trust, and had many believing he would be taking them to the end.  He played a game on his strengths, and it worked for him.  I felt Dean wasn't very social for most of the game, and just hung out. A castaway commented about him just sitting around all the time running his fingers through his hair. He did do well at the end, but I consider him more of a placeholder in the big picture than Tommy or Noura.  That is just my observation. 

Jack is subbing at my son’s school and all the teachers love him. We are in RI and apparently he moved here because he is dating Elizabeth who is from our hometown.

Worst winner ever IMO  :shrug:
Yeah, for me Survivor is all about finding idols and winning immunity challenges.  The social and strategic part are definitely important too, but I think the "game" is more predicated on SURVIVING.  Which Tommy did none of, and which Dean blasted through when it counted most.

Terrible season marred by poor casting and the whole Dan Touchy-Feely BS.  

And now we have to look forward to a season of rehashes?  I don't care if they're winners or not.  Go back to what made the show awesome.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Dinsy Ejotuz said:
Asking Dean "have you ever dated a crazy girl?" was a season highlight.
Also that one time she actually did shut up for a split second. In mid thought during an interview when she spotted Dean on the beach.  :pics:

simey said:
I don't think Noura was an idiot or a placeholder. Noura won the most individual immunity challenges (three). She could create chaos when she felt it would help her, and it usually did. She was a wild card, and she could make other contestants' heads spin. She could be mildy entertaining, but she could also be obnoxious with her babbling nonsense, and it seemed to annoy the castaways sometimes. Her personality is nutty, but she was competitive throughout the game. 

I would have voted for Tommy. He didn't win challenges, but he was always plotting. He was very good at gaining trust, and had many believing he would be taking them to the end.  He played a game on his strengths, and it worked for him.  I felt Dean wasn't very social for most of the game, and just hung out. A castaway commented about him just sitting around all the time running his fingers through his hair. He did do well at the end, but I consider him more of a placeholder in the big picture than Tommy or Noura.  That is just my observation. 
I think Noura spoke decently during the final inquisition but I still think she is basically an idiot.  As far as a placeholder, it was fairly obvious that none of the jury would vote for her based on comments throughout the game.  They were all using her as a pawn and nobody had any thoughts of her actually getting votes.....and that turned out to be true. 

I do give her a little more credit now and she was good at certain challenge types but overall she only made it as far as she did because everyone thought she would be a non-factor when it came to the final vote. 

I also disagree about Dean not being very social.  He was social enough to keep sticking around and then powered through the late immunity challenges and became a force.  For me he did enough in all aspects of the game to warrant winning.  I don't have an issue with Tommy winning as his game played well but for me he needed to have a little more resume in challenge winning to overtake what Dean did. 

I'm going to forget Tommy ever existed before the end of the year. The social discussion and touchy-feely Dan is what I'll remember.

My spittake moment of the episode was when Dean cited Noura's stoicism as a reason for taking her on the food reward. :lmao:   :lmao:  

Wait.

Just last season the winner got voted out in episode three(?), didn't have to do anything, and didn't return to the game until the last episode. That's the worst winner ever.
I don’t get all the Dean love. He literally did nothing and would have been voted out if Kelley hadn’t had her dumb plan of hoping Noura wouldn’t narc on her. Dean was almost like the guy from last season who was a non factor until the last couple episodes. No chance I would have voted for him.

Was there any reason given at the reunion for everyone to lie about what Island of the Idols was about? And why they came up with cover stories? 
Since almost everyone in the final 8 or so went there, they all pretty much knew everyone else lied so they kept lying. Also, none of the advantages from there actually mattered. 

I agree, but, it's also obvious something has to change. Otherwise the competition will become 'who can put up with the most harassment?', because if the girls this season were going to use it to get farther, no reason some future guy won't start harassing people hoping to get them to quit. 
So how far do you take it?  What if karisma told producers that she was getting bullied and didn’t feel comfortable.  Do you remove missy?  It’s a rainy cold night night so I’m guessing all the guys must sleep together.  There are countless situations someone can push cbs to step in..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've watched every single Survivor episode and this was one of my least favorite seasons for various reasons, but what you touch on is what keeps me coming back and what keeps the show interesting for me.  Individuals on the jury all have their own unique motivations for voting for/against a winner.  Some like the social aspect and will vote for who played the best social game, some will vote for the underdog who made it to the end despite everyone trying to get rid of them, some will specifically vote against the person who blindsided them, etc., etc.  I found it funny that it was played up for the jury that Tommy had made final 2 deals with practically everyone post-merge and even Sandra mentioned how awesome that was for Tommy's game.  But in previous seasons, this exact strategy has backfired more than once as players started talking to one another and realized they were being two-timed.  It's caused people to be voted off numerous times over the years.  I made a guess of Dean winning 6-4 prior to the final votes being read, but the more I think about it, the more I"m OK with Tommy being the winner.  No doubt Dean played an incredible end-game, but Tommy played a more complete game from day 1 to day 39.

In general, I"m not a fan of returning players coming back in future seasons, but I'd agree that Kellee deserves another shot.  And Elaine was probably my favorite player this season, so I'm glad she got $100K from Sia.
I've always liked this. I particularly like having the all star versions to see how well a lot of these good players would be up against contestants similar to them. It helps the whole who's the best player arguments. I'm also for letting people like Kellee and others for various reasons back. The guy who was badly burnt in one of the first few seasons got a second chance and a few fan favorites voted out early in games also got second chances. I'm cool if its some sort of all star/reunion type. I'm definitely gonna try and start up on the show again with the next season. 

Snickers said:
Jack is subbing at my son’s school and all the teachers love him. We are in RI and apparently he moved here because he is dating Elizabeth who is from our hometown.
 Stephenie LaGrossa who was on some of the earlier seasons is from my area (married Former Phillies pitcher Kyle Kendricks) is best friends with one of my favorite teachers fromHS. She was in their wedding. My teacher had her come to our school. The first season she was on was my senior year of HS. The last season she did was Heroes vs Villains in 2010. It was probably shortly after that I stopped watching the show. Glad your son is getting this expeirence

Now that I see what the show is for February definitely watching it. Didn't realize last years (2018) spring season the winner Wes is from my hometown. Didn't get a lot of hoopla like Stephenie got it seems either. 

And some of my favorites are on this one. Ethan Zohn, Rob and Amber, Yul Kwon, Purvati!!!!! Dam I'm really watching next season. 

Survivor really trying too hard to push social issues.  This is a reality tv show that started with a naked guy..
I forgot about that. But even back then some of the contestants said they were kind of uncomfortable with it. If that happened today you know dam well they'd be telling him to keep his clothes on 

nirad3 said:
Yeah, for me Survivor is all about finding idols and winning immunity challenges.  The social and strategic part are definitely important too, but I think the "game" is more predicated on SURVIVING.  Which Tommy did none of, and which Dean blasted through when it counted most.

Terrible season marred by poor casting and the whole Dan Touchy-Feely BS.  

And now we have to look forward to a season of rehashes?  I don't care if they're winners or not.  Go back to what made the show awesome.
That ship has sailed 

I don’t get all the Dean love. He literally did nothing and would have been voted out if Kelley hadn’t had her dumb plan of hoping Noura wouldn’t narc on her. Dean was almost like the guy from last season who was a non factor until the last couple episodes. No chance I would have voted for him.
And tommy would have been voted out had dean not decided he couldn’t work with Noura and told tommy at tc that he was the target.

And tommy would have been voted out had dean not decided he couldn’t work with Noura and told tommy at tc that he was the target.
Agreed, but Dean didn’t even play the game until he road along far enough. That’s why no one voted for him. No one knew him and what he was trying to do because he could have gotten voted out without doing anything if he hadn’t been given an idol in a really bad move.

Was there any reason given at the reunion for everyone to lie about what Island of the Idols was about? And why they came up with cover stories? 
I kept waiting for someone to blow it up.  I'm not sure why the second or third person didn't.  It would have put a target on the back of the ones who lied.

Dean got hosed. Should’ve been a unanimous win. 

We’re unfortunately at a point where winning physical comps does nothing for you with the jury. Might actually hinder you. 

stbugs said:
Agreed, but Dean didn’t even play the game until he road along far enough. That’s why no one voted for him. No one knew him and what he was trying to do because he could have gotten voted out without doing anything if he hadn’t been given an idol in a really bad move.
Actually laying low and under the radar was Dean's strategy.  He didn't want to be the focus for people to vote him out.  It was a conscious decision he made and he explained during the last TC.  He then pushed on the last quarter to get the physical accolades as he thought that would be the way to get votes showing he could do that as well.  I thought he played his strategy perfectly......and it was borne out to work since he made it to the final three.  Unfortunately, Tommy's tactics spoke more to this particular jury and he got the votes. 

For me, I think Dean played the best game....probably the way I would want to play it.  It just didn't work with this particular jury.  Not enough people like Aaron in the jury.  That was his target juror. 

Finally got to watch all of the episodes this weekend.  What a terrible season.  And I don't think it was bad because of the show itself.  But because we've turned Survivor "woke."  

Durag is now offensive.  And Jamal summed it up perfectly in his interview right after where he said something like, "The term durag isn't offensive, but it's the way he was using it."  What?  That's not how it works.  That's just you randomly being offended by something you openly admit ISN'T OFFENSIVE!!!!  But the best was after all of that, he then gets called out by the women for being misogynistic.  Because he accused the women of trying to have an all girl alliance.  How dare he say something SOOOOO offensive.  Oh, by the way, the girls were trying to put together an all girl alliance.  So he was actually right.  Then, in order to try and redeem himself, he plays an idol for a girl.  That should smooth things over.  Also, see ya, Jamal.  You just wasted your immunity idol.

Then we have half the people claiming sexual assault because a guy touched them.  Which is totally cool.  But then you have half using it as a weapon to get an advantage in the game.  Then poor Aaron says he doesn't believe her because it's a game and half the people are lying and half are telling the truth and he's looked at as a bad guy because he doesn't believe this poor girl's claim in a game where deception is one of the 3 core principles.  

Woke is a disease.  And it's spreading into every facet of our lives.  It's destroying everything.  Even Elaine, who I loved, talked about how it was nice to be accepted even though she's gay.  We act like being gay just became accepted in this country.  This show is 20 years old and the first winner was openly gay!  I am so sick of everyone wanting to be the victim of everything.

Finally got to watch all of the episodes this weekend.  What a terrible season.  And I don't think it was bad because of the show itself.  But because we've turned Survivor "woke."  

Durag is now offensive.  And Jamal summed it up perfectly in his interview right after where he said something like, "The term durag isn't offensive, but it's the way he was using it."  What?  That's not how it works.  That's just you randomly being offended by something you openly admit ISN'T OFFENSIVE!!!!  But the best was after all of that, he then gets called out by the women for being misogynistic.  Because he accused the women of trying to have an all girl alliance.  How dare he say something SOOOOO offensive.  Oh, by the way, the girls were trying to put together an all girl alliance.  So he was actually right.  Then, in order to try and redeem himself, he plays an idol for a girl.  That should smooth things over.  Also, see ya, Jamal.  You just wasted your immunity idol.

Then we have half the people claiming sexual assault because a guy touched them.  Which is totally cool.  But then you have half using it as a weapon to get an advantage in the game.  Then poor Aaron says he doesn't believe her because it's a game and half the people are lying and half are telling the truth and he's looked at as a bad guy because he doesn't believe this poor girl's claim in a game where deception is one of the 3 core principles.  

Woke is a disease.  And it's spreading into every facet of our lives.  It's destroying everything.  Even Elaine, who I loved, talked about how it was nice to be accepted even though she's gay.  We act like being gay just became accepted in this country.  This show is 20 years old and the first winner was openly gay!  I am so sick of everyone wanting to be the victim of everything.
Couldn't agree more that show/producers going over board to find/create social relevant issues to spice up show.  Believe ratings continue to drop each season.  I personally thought the Tommy Dean vote would have been much closer since Dean won challenges.   

I don't want to get into too much discussion on the rest of it, but Elaine lives in Woodbine, Kentucky.  It's possible that open and total acceptance from everyone around her is a brand new situation for her.

It’s exactly what I would expect. One word: Hollywood 

Certainly not quitting (I'm looking forward to the all-winners season) but if Survivor is going to start bashing us over the head with social issues every season from now on, it will seriously diminish my enjoyment of the show.

I just want to watch a fun game show/competition. Is that so much to ask?  If I want to be lectured about how I'm supposed to act and feel, I'm certainly not hurting for options in today's society (especially the movie/TV industry)

I agree with everything in this post, and emphatically so with the bolded.
Almost every picture my daughter takes of my granddaughter has her with a big bow on her head that looks like a durag ( I would normally spell this doorag), and that's what I call it, a doorag bow.

I agree with everything in this post, and emphatically so with the bolded.
Almost every picture my daughter takes of my granddaughter has her with a big bow on her head that looks like a durag ( I would normally spell this doorag), and that's what I call it, a doorag bow.
I am a middle aged white male and I had no idea that "durag" was offensive in any way. When Jamal got upset about that I immediately thought it was a total put on to push an agenda for the show. I also thought the same with with the "touching".  I am not sure I trust anything that goes on in these shows any more. 

I am a middle aged white male and I had no idea that "durag" was offensive in any way. When Jamal got upset about that I immediately thought it was a total put on to push an agenda for the show. I also thought the same with with the "touching".  I am not sure I trust anything that goes on in these shows any more. 
Personally, I wouldn’t lump the two together. Dan was eventually removed from the show for an incident that didn’t involve any players.....whatever that means. From what they showed, he was told to stop touching people and he couldn’t. 

Yeah, the  Dan issue and the Durag issue are two totally separate things.

You dont touch someone who doesn't want to be touched. Period. I get that there is a small amount of gray area in a situation like Survivor (close sleeping quarters, social game play going on, trying to form bonds, etc). But he was warned to keep his hands to himself and apparently didn't.

The Jamal durag situation, as Jamal himself pointed out, is just him choosing to take offense to something that isn't really offensive at face value.  It was a stupid comment (and probably not something I would say) but clearly there wasnt any malice there.

One situation could be assault. (i only say "could" because we didn't see everything that happened)  The other is someone not being woke enough and another person (or maybe the producers) making a mountain out of a molehill to drive a story line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, they are. But at the time I wasn't sure and that's the point. They made a big deal out of the durag thing to promote racial tolerance etc and IMO it was totally put on. So with the Dan touching issue it felt like another made for tv situation. 

Agreed, they are. But at the time I wasn't sure and that's the point. They made a big deal out of the durag thing to promote racial tolerance etc and IMO it was totally put on. So with the Dan touching issue it felt like another made for tv situation. 
I love how they made Kellee a hero type but didn’t bother to mention that they all threw Janet under the bus when she took the lead in standing up. 

I love how they made Kellee a hero type but didn’t bother to mention that they all threw Janet under the bus when she took the lead in standing up. 
My guess is Sia gave Janet $100,000, because she took that stand. Elaine probably was awarded the other $100,000, because she needs it, and she was likable and authentic.

So is everyone here quitting the show? 
No.  I still enjoy it for what it is.  This wasn't a great season mainly because of blah personality players.  I think they've started down a slippery slope with the "you can get ejected" on an accusation alone though.  Players showed this season they will weaponize that in the name of game play.  Someone like Dan was more than an accusation and was justified, but I think the zero policy stance in the future might be bad news.

Users who are viewing this thread