What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 42: Starts Wednesday March 9, 2022 (2 Viewers)

If you're being lied to right before the vote you can just as easily be lied to right after the vote. Overreaction in here to Tony asking Jeremy who he voted for imo. In another situation he could not answer or lie. A lot of that seemed like theatrics for the jury given how lopsided the vote was and the lack of advantages needed/played. That didn't all come together at tribal despite the whispering and huddling (which I appreciated the subtitles for, if it's gonna continue. But they'll only supply those subtitles like that when it doesn't reveal the vote).

If you're being lied to right before the vote you can just as easily be lied to right after the vote. Overreaction in here to Tony asking Jeremy who he voted for imo. In another situation he could not answer or lie. A lot of that seemed like theatrics for the jury given how lopsided the vote was and the lack of advantages needed/played. That didn't all come together at tribal despite the whispering and huddling (which I appreciated the subtitles for, if it's gonna continue. But they'll only supply those subtitles like that when it doesn't reveal the vote).
The whispering is lame but less egregious than announcing you are going to play an idol and not play it.  The latter should absolutely be outlawed.

Why? I'm absolutely shuked that this bothers anyone. Deception is part of the game. 
Its poker logic. You're not allowed to say you're "all in", gauge everyone else's reaction and then change your mind. To me, that's not "deception".

Like someone said a little further up, Survivor isn't like a sport where there are many formal rules, but I would kinda agree that this was sort of a lame move. I guess the idol isn't considered formally "played" until its handed to Jeff. At the end of the day, we're talking semantics. He could probably get 90% of the same info by just pulling it out and walking towards Jeff, which I guess I wouldn't really have a problem with.

To me, allowing all this nonsense at tribal just allows the production to get lazy the rest of the time. No need to capture cool stuff at camp if every single TC is going to be 20 minutes of insanity and whispering.

Last edited by a moderator:
He actually tried to play it for someone else and that person said no.  Do you think someone else should be able to not allow someone to play an idol for them?

ETA:  I am not sure how I feel about that.  Realistically if someone wanted to "save" me should I have the ability to decline or is it some of the power of the idol where it could played for someone else with them having g no say in it (although I cannot really see a reason someone would want to decline it most instances......this was just a weird TC)

I'm fine with it.  If someone stands up and says "I'm playing an idol" and then looks around to see if he/she can pick up a tell from someone on whether or not to play it, then others need to learn to keep themselves in check until it is officially in Jeff's hands to be played.

I'm fine with it.  If someone stands up and says "I'm playing an idol" and then looks around to see if he/she can pick up a tell from someone on whether or not to play it, then others need to learn to keep themselves in check until it is officially in Jeff's hands to be played.
Agreed, I don’t have an issue with this. Until you hand the idol to Jeff, you haven’t played it. 

ConnSKINS26 said:
And doing that isn't without risk because now everyone has reason to believe you have an advantage. Usually puts a target on your back with enemies and pisses off allies you hadn't already told about it.
Exactly. 

To me, this wasn't much different from Joe in HHH going up to Jeff and watching Ashley's reaction before deciding whether to play his idol on himself or Desi, or from Natalie in SJDS going up to Jeff and saying "Jaclyn, did you vote for who I told you to vote for" before telling Jeff who the idol was for. 

Watching latest season of Survivor South Africa it is pretty brutal as in bad. I will give it a couple of more episodes but so far not good.

I am still amazed after all these years and even with highly seasoned players how irrational the players can be.

Sarah screaming at Tony, telling him she is never going to talk to him again if she got voted out in the future, all based Tony just doing a strategic move that wasn't even targeting Sarah is just so off the charts.
One thing I always forget is these people are out there for 20 to 30 days without adequate food or water or adequate sleep. Irrational behavior would seem to be the norm under those conditions.

I think what annoys me with the whispering and scrambling at TC is that it pretty much makes everything related to strategy we just watched the previous 50 minutes not matter much. Albeit, those 50 minutes are usually edited to make you think one thing is going down, only to find out something else happened at TC, but at least there's kernels of what we see actually go down in those 50 minutes. Instead, it comes down to a bunch of discussing and bargaining that we don't even get to hear. Even with the recent subtitles for a few of the whispers, it doesn't really make for good TV (to me.)

One thing I always forget is these people are out there for 20 to 30 days without adequate food or water or adequate sleep. Irrational behavior would seem to be the norm under those conditions.
hell, i get irritable as #### after 12 hours without food.
I love when people from the comfort of their own homes (without the benefit of knowing what others are doing via TV) say "I can't believe they made that decision!" or "How could you not stand on that plank for another hour?"  

This isn't Naked and Afraid, but these are people who do not have enough food, are not sleeping comfortably, and are out in the elements.  Not to mention playing a stressful game being watched by millions and you fear every thing you do could cost you a million dollar payday.  I think the game is a wee bit harder than we give it credit.  That's why I think the family visits are so emotional for them as well.

The Noid said:
I think what annoys me with the whispering and scrambling at TC is that it pretty much makes everything related to strategy we just watched the previous 50 minutes not matter much. Albeit, those 50 minutes are usually edited to make you think one thing is going down, only to find out something else happened at TC, but at least there's kernels of what we see actually go down in those 50 minutes. Instead, it comes down to a bunch of discussing and bargaining that we don't even get to hear. Even with the recent subtitles for a few of the whispers, it doesn't really make for good TV (to me.)
This.  It makes the rest of the show fairly meaningless.  Except maybe watching the challenge(s).  All the strategizing is kinda nullified by the 11th-hour whispering.

Corporation said:
I love when people from the comfort of their own homes (without the benefit of knowing what others are doing via TV) say "I can't believe they made that decision!" or "How could you not stand on that plank for another hour?"  
I don't read all the posts here but I don't remember anyone saying that someone should have done an endurance challenge longer.

The Noid said:
This.  It makes the rest of the show fairly meaningless.  Except maybe watching the challenge(s).  All the strategizing is kinda nullified by the 11th-hour whispering.
Yeah, if they are going to have this, at least show us some earlier strategizing regarding it.  Like planning beforehand what they are going to say to other players during TC.

A Michelle win would be by far the most disappointing outcome I can imagine, closely followed by a Nick win or an Edge of Extinction returnee win. A lot would have to happen in the last few episodes for her to earn it.

A Michelle win would be by far the most disappointing outcome I can imagine, closely followed by a Nick win or an Edge of Extinction returnee win. A lot would have to happen in the last few episodes for her to earn it.
Michelle not winning .  She is the final three goat.  Plus the jury made up of past winners is definitely voting for best player .i.e big moves. 

I didn't see the purpose of Nick blowing all his tokens on a disadvantage.  I think Natalie gets back in the game.  She is a really strong competitor.  She comes back with an idol and all that trust built up on EoE, you could be looking at your worst case scenario.  I don't think they are going to take Michele to the end.

Sarah should probably win this.  Get either Tony or Denise out at 5 and then the other one at 4.  She, Michelle and Ben should all be happiest going to the final three together.

The EI returnee is going to complicate things though -- especially if it's Natalie.  She's such a beast and was out there so long and played so well from the island that she might be a threat.

Nick is a freaking moron. It amazes me that some of these people won their seasons. Takes some luck it seems. Dude bails on an easy way to vote Ben off and then now that he's even further down the list (Michelle was 100% on point that he was #2) he wants to vote off Ben. Nick and Adam couldn't see 1 move ahead this season.

Once again, way to late in the game to bring back someone from the Island. As many mentioned, they've been making friends and many didn't have to "play the game" of strategizing and backstabbing.. Now they can return and if they make the final 3 could win it only because they didn't paly the real game. :thumbdown:  

Nick is a Dolt... It was 100% obvious he was not going anywhere with the other group.. yet thinks he can buy their loyalty by voting with them. 
Sure enough, next vote comes and he has no protection :bye:  

If the EOE returnee has an immunity idol (I believe Tyson, Rob and Natalie have one, anyone else?), then they will have immunity at 6 so they will make final 5.  At 4 left, if you lose the immunity challenge, then you still have a shot at making fire.  They only have to win immunity at final 5 to have a good chance at making the final 3.  This changes the game too much.

There are way too many people on the jury, and a bunch of them have hardly played the game.

This will ruin this season

Yeah Nick is clueless.  Michelle made a good point to Sarah.  Perception is everything.  In Sarah's mind she is controlling things with Tony but she does it subtly and the jury doesn't see it (well some may).  They see Tony running things.  Rob called Tony a boss.  If Sarah doesn't vote Tony off she'll lose to him.  

Not only has Natalie dominated a lot of EoE activity, she is well liked out there too.  Giving Tyson peanut butter and an idol (or advantage in the last challenge?) is another great move.  She's getting a lot of final votes from those people. 

Looking forward to the EoE challenge as it seems everyone has multiple advantages.  

Denise is sneaky good.  And likable.  But she doesn't seem to be getting the winning edit.    

If the EOE returnee has an immunity idol (I believe Tyson, Rob and Natalie have one, anyone else?), then they will have immunity at 6 so they will make final 5.  At 4 left, if you lose the immunity challenge, then you still have a shot at making fire.  They only have to win immunity at final 5 to have a good chance at making the final 3.  This changes the game too much.

There are way too many people on the jury, and a bunch of them have hardly played the game.

This will ruin this season
To allow people on EoE to buy an idol with tokens is terrible enough, but to let them hang onto it without having to even consider using it until (and if) they get back into the game at final 6 is just way too generous to them.  And a disadvantage for the remaining players to overcome.  

Did you notice when Nat was showing Tyson the idols?  May just be me but they look so small... I wonder if they aren't normal idols.  Maybe they don't save you at TC but helps you as an advantage some other way.  

If they do act as a normal idol... way too much power, as you said.  Could ruin the game.  

Sarah should probably win this.  Get either Tony or Denise out at 5 and then the other one at 4.  She, Michelle and Ben should all be happiest going to the final three together.

The EI returnee is going to complicate things though -- especially if it's Natalie.  She's such a beast and was out there so long and played so well from the island that she might be a threat.
She'll need to oust Tony if she wants win, imo.  If she can do that and keep Michelle and Ben, I think she wins.  Natalie or Rob coming back with an idol will throw a wrench into all of that.  

After last season with Rob teaching players on his lame idol island, wouldn't it be something if he won to get back in and it came down to a fire making challenge between him and whoever... and he lost.  One of his expert "lessons" last season was how to build a fire.  That would be epic.  

Watching this season really exposed what a weak overall player Sandra really was. I guess riding coattails and the "anyone but me" worked for her but she was basically useless and had no business being in this game.  To sit out every challenge, then to quit and not even go one day to Extinction Island was weak when everyone else was gutting it out. 

Seems like the last challenge for EoE should be huge and complicated.  Lots of good players out there to win one spot to get back into a game where they're at the door step of winning $2m dollars.  

Endurance, balance portion, water... then on to completing a puzzle... then on to building a fire.  Lots of advantage were bought so it shouldn't just be an easy win for anyone.  Advantages could be sprinkled in throughout various stages.   

So Jeff mentioned something about the other night was last time to use the tokens (or I was hearing things).  Where they able to buy stuff with the tokens that they haven't shown us?  Food, comfort items?

So Jeff mentioned something about the other night was last time to use the tokens (or I was hearing things).  Where they able to buy stuff with the tokens that they haven't shown us?  Food, comfort items?
Yes it was the last opportunity to buy things.  They only showed the rice Denise bought, IIRC.  And they showed Nat with peanut butter she bought.  Guess we can assume other items were bought but they didn't show us.  

Natalie would be a deserving champion. She has played one hell of a game for the game she was dealt.

Extinction person should come back when there are eight survivors left, making them the ninth. Sixth is too soon.

The extinction challenge should be a huge blindfolded maze. Haven't seen that in a while.

Watching this season really exposed what a weak overall player Sandra really was. I guess riding coattails and the "anyone but me" worked for her but she was basically useless and had no business being in this game.  To sit out every challenge, then to quit and not even go one day to Extinction Island was weak when everyone else was gutting it out. 
I don't perceive her as useless. She is great at manipulating people, which can be a big part of the game. She admitted to making a mistake giving Denise her idol for fire tokens. I get why she didn't want to stay on extinction island. She does poorly in physical challenges, and everyone on extinction island is athletic except for her.  She has always said she knows her strengths and weaknesses. She said in an interview that she had just been on an island for 36 days with Rob being a mentor (and they slept on bamboo and ate off the land) on Island of the Idols, and she only had two weeks off before starting Winners at War, and when she was voted off on day 16, she didn't want to sit on extinction island for 23 more days against people she knew she was not going to physically beat and be miserable.  

Users who are viewing this thread