Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
NewlyRetired

Survivor Season 40 (Winners at War): Starts Wednesday Feb. 12, 2020

No reunion show so no need for a 3 hour ending.

We're in quarantine here, people!! Give us three 1 hr shows please.

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2020 at 12:32 AM, TLEF316 said:

I get that. I just think her opinion was completely nonsensical in this particular scenario.

First off, she and the 9 other women there had already won the show. Do men win MORE? Yes. Is that the result of gender bias?  I don't know. If so, women are just as much to blame, as I imagine the juries on survivor are pretty close to 50/50.

And the whole point she was arguing was that when women play aggressively and lie and decieve that they are considered "#####es" and that men who do so are considered "studs".  By whom and where is this happening?  If she's talking about Twitter trolls or lunatics on survivor message boards, ok. I don't read those places. That sort of criticism certainly doesn't happen on the show (at least we don't see it) or in any sort of mainstream media.  Sure, people are criticising her a bit here, but not for her aggressive play style.

In my opinion, she thought she was matching Tony this season(she wasn't) and didn't like it when Natalie came back and confirmed that the jury didn't agree. So she got defensive about it and decided to throw a little "look at me!! I do stuff too!!" display, which morphed into a claim of gender bias.

She's a woman in a field dominated by aggressive alpha male types. So it's certainly understandable that she's sensitive about this. I just don't like it when people try and use a larger social issue to gain sympathy points (the whole speech felt like a jury ploy to me) in a situation like this. IMO, it detracts from real gender bias issues, which obviously do exist on other aspects of life.

Compare this to when Zeke was outed as trans a few seasons back. That guy was legitimately wronged in a major way. He didn't want it to become a thing, but once it was out in the open, he didn't have much of a choice. But he didn't use it for sympathy points. It was addressed (in a pretty productive way that generated some really good discussion) and then he moved on to try and finish the game.

Agreed.

It is so nonsensical (and out of her character) that I didn't believe it from the moment it came out of her mouth.  I think it was simply game play.

I think she even pulled the wool over the eyes of people here reveling in the joy that such topics are raised.

Edited by DropKick
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 12:08 PM, rick6668 said:

Natalie Interview

I think I like Natalie less after reading that. 

And then the second thing is they just didn't depict how hard the Edge was. We would fall asleep every night and rats would be biting us. We'd wake up to rats biting our fingers and our toes. And how much we ate. It was literally stabbing, sleeping in the dirt, rats biting us every night. 

:eek:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr.Pack said:

13 hours ago, Mr.Pack said:

And then the second thing is they just didn't depict how hard the Edge was. We would fall asleep every night and rats would be biting us. We'd wake up to rats biting our fingers and our toes. And how much we ate. It was literally stabbing, sleeping in the dirt, rats biting us every night. 

I feel like she has a point though.  CBS should have really played up EOE as like this horrible debilitating place.  At least then it makes it more shocking when someone comes back from it and actually has success.  Of course she could be exaggerating. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

I feel like she has a point though.  CBS should have really played up EOE as like this horrible debilitating place.  At least then it makes it more shocking when someone comes back from it and actually has success.  Of course she could be exaggerating. 

It’s likely the latter. I liken it to that reporter who tweeted that he had been chased down by open businesses protestors. When I watched the video there was one person walking towards him that he asked to stop. The video was 3 seconds long. From the tweet I was expecting a mob running after him not a single guy walking towards a reporter to scare him a little.

If there were rats biting them every night, wouldn’t you think there would be one conversation about it? The stories never match the actual occurrence.

22 hours ago, Mr.Pack said:
On 5/14/2020 at 1:08 PM, rick6668 said:

Natalie Interview

I think I like Natalie less after reading that. 

We just started watching the first season with the kids to see how things have changed over the years.

We're on the third episode, and the contestants are setting traps for rats, cleaning them, and grilling them for food.  As tough as Natalie undoubtedly is, she comes off as soft here in comparison.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

The Ringer dedicated a whole week to Survivor articles last week and this one was pretty interesting, where some former players dished on behind-the-scenes things. The interaction, and relationships, the contestants have with the crew/cameramen is something you really forget about. It's not just 20 people on the island. It's 20 people and 40 more people constantly within 5 feet of each of them.

Edited by The Noid
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Here is what should happen next season:

- All Hidden Immunity Idols are gone. They don't exist anymore.

- Fire tokens are in play with rewards that can be bought. There is a finite number of them... like Bitcoins. You buy advantages, leave tribal, steal vote. No purchased idols until after the merge.

- Tokens can be used for barter in case fear of being voted out exists. Merge game is huge.

Edited by Challenge Everything

The fire token thing just fell flat. I was expecting something big to happen at the end, but, nope... peanut butter and advantages for EoE people, snoozefest for the main game.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

The fire token thing just fell flat. I was expecting something big to happen at the end, but, nope... peanut butter and advantages for EoE people, snoozefest for the main game.

I'm not a fan of the fire token thing at all....but I'm not sure this is true.....there wasn't some massive fire token event at the end, but they did play a pretty big role throughout the game....in game players had to use them for the things that were sold to them by the players on EoE....many of those were key pieces in how the game played out on the regular island....they definitely had an impact.....Nat was able to purchase several things with them, idols and advantages.....she accumulated so many she had a huge advantage in the get back in the game challenge.....even tho she kind of wasted it.....but probably would not have won without it......

my main complaint is that I don't like them getting to buy peanut butter and whatever else....and the camp started looking like a resort with all the swings and benches and pillows and painting materials....etc....it actually seemed like the show was intentionally not trying to show some of the benches and swings and hammocks.....those things used to be stuff you won at the reward challenges....now, nobody has to go fishing or anything....which used to be huge.....I remember one season that one crazy young lady took it upon herself to bargain with Jeff that they would trade in a bunch of comforts for more rice.....stuff like that never happens anymore....the game has gotten too soft with all these extra things they have added....and its has gotten away from the social core of the game.....now its just blindsides and who gets advantages and steal a votes, and leave tribal, and 50/50 etc.....I really feel a season of "old school" survivor is in desperate need.....we give you some rice and hide a few idols and thats it.....go back to there being some benefit of catching fish, working around camp, building shelters, etc...

soft city....

eta: this takes nothing away from Tony.....I am sooooo glad he won.....he played one of the best all around games I have seen.....top to bottom.....never had his name written down and was dictating everything.....totally on point around every turn/corner....his anticipation and intuition and ability to take the temperature of the room was top shelf stuff......made Sara look like an idiot.... 

Edited by Stinkin Ref
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Challenge Everything said:

Here is what should happen next season:

- All Hidden Immunity Idols are gone. They don't exist anymore.

- Fire tokens are in play with rewards that can be bought. There is a finite number of them... like Bitcoins. You buy advantages, leave tribal, steal vote. No purchased idols until after the merge.

- Tokens can be used for barter in case fear of being voted out exists. Merge game is huge.

No thanks. This makes the game what it is. How boring is a game with no way of protecting yourself? Blindsides would be non existent. 

3 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

No thanks. This makes the game what it is. How boring is a game with no way of protecting yourself? Blindsides would be non existent. 

Contestants can buy Idols with enough fire tokens. Allies trade fire tokens so a person can buy an idol. A person could lie about how many fire tokens they have to try to manipulate the game. So much more strategy to the currency aspect than finding an idol.

1 minute ago, Challenge Everything said:

Contestants can buy Idols with enough fire tokens. Allies trade fire tokens so a person can buy an idol. A person could lie about how many fire tokens they have to try to manipulate the game. So much more strategy to the currency aspect than finding an idol.

If someone needs people to help them buy immunity, it takes away secrecy. One person can keep a secret, but any more and it just doesnt seem to work. How and how often are fire tokens available? 

8 minutes ago, Challenge Everything said:

currency in any form moves the game further and further away from the core of the game......

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

I wouldn’t want no hidden idols, but damn can they make them harder to find or make them search with multiple clues? The idols are found immediately and they find them the day after they are played. There’s pretty much always an idol in play. Just makes it somewhat silly after the merge when you have 6 people and 4 people are protected.

Edited by stbugs
  • Like 2

I got behind again and just got to watch an episode. Like I said in an earlier post, Tony is an awesome player, maybe the goat. Bye bye Kim. 

On 5/14/2020 at 10:58 AM, Nemesis said:

For this being the "Best season ever" talk..............I still think it was a crappy decision by CBS to axe ANY possible Reunion show after the vote reveal. 
For what it's worth, CBS should have taken the 3 hours of game play split it into:
WED 5/13:   2 hour show
WED 5/20:   1 hour gameplay + 1 hour of Reunion via Zoom call

The Survivor Reunion show is sometimes more entertaining, or more revealing to watch than the actual final episode (but it does usually have some unnecessary fluff too)

Would have liked to have Probst ask Ben more questions about the sacrifical lamb scene
Would have like to have Probst ask Natalie questions about not choosing Fire making vs Tony  

I was perfectly fine with how they did this. Recent reunion shows have been mostly terrible (remember much of Ghost Island's being taken up by promos for a dumb Kevin Hart game show?), and there's really not much of a need for them anymore because there are plenty of online exit interviews and podcast appearances that reveal what the castaways thought about their experience and what they're up to now. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 1:35 PM, nysfl2 said:

Or if there are periodic eliminations on EOE, so if you get voted off D1, you really have to kick ### at challenges to get back in. 

They already did that, it was called Redemption Island. It sucked too. 

On 5/21/2020 at 1:11 AM, Walking Boot said:

They didn't get the idols thing right either at first. First time (S11) it was too underpowered. The following two seasons it was overpowered. Starting with S14 they found the right balance. Maybe the same thing will happen with fire tokens. 

On 4/25/2020 at 8:33 PM, NREC34 said:

I’m far from a survivor superfan but in my mind Tony might be the best player I’ve ever seen. It’s amazing the stuff he does. Hiding in the brush to hear what others are saying to make moves. and he gets others to vote with him and blindside. He’s also good at finding idols and decent on challenges. 

Just finished watching. What a post, dude. Spot on. 

Idk though, hiding in the tree and then having people come right where he is to strategize seems like it could be staged. 😂

3 hours ago, NREC34 said:

Idk though, hiding in the tree and then having people come right where he is to strategize seems like it could be staged. 😂

He told the person in his alliance to bring them there, while he was in the tree, specifically to hear their strategizing. It was staged.... by Tony. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, NREC34 said:

I agree based on having someone who is known for spying being in the game. If I want to have a private conversation with someone, I am going out on the beach. Although that then brings up whether you want someone to see you having a conversation. So it is a double edged sword

I'm firing up Australian All-stars now and I just know it's going to be epic. I accidentally spoiled the winner for myself, but it doesn't even matter. 🔥

• Like 1

19 hours ago, EYLive said:

I'm firing up Australian All-stars now and I just know it's going to be epic. I accidentally spoiled the winner for myself, but it doesn't even matter. 🔥

How does one go about finding this to watch?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, offdee said:

How does one go about finding this to watch?

You can use a fire stick. You have to download Cinema app. You can also use Kodi. I have seen some episodes on youtube.

Posted (edited)

Reportedly, Fiji has been covid-free for 60+ days and will soon be issuing safety guidelines to resume work. All contestants and crew will have to undergo a 14-day quarantine. But production is expected to start in time to at least air some of next season in the Fall.

Edited by Walking Boot

Anybody watching Treasure Island with Bear Grylls on Discovery?  The concept is interesting at least.  They're 3 episodes in so far and it's entertaining enough that I'll keep watching.

6 hours ago, PlayaHata said:

Anybody watching Treasure Island with Bear Grylls on Discovery?  The concept is interesting at least.  They're 3 episodes in so far and it's entertaining enough that I'll keep watching.

Thanks for this, I fired it up, enjoyed the first 1/2 hour so far

• Like 1

Colby Donaldson is the host of the after-show for ALONE on the History Channel. And... he sucks. If they were once grooming him to be Probst's eventual replacement, I hope they've moved on. I don't think he'd be good at all.

On 6/24/2020 at 6:07 PM, Walking Boot said:

Reportedly, Fiji has been covid-free for 60+ days and will soon be issuing safety guidelines to resume work. All contestants and crew will have to undergo a 14-day quarantine. But production is expected to start in time to at least air some of next season in the Fall.

This show and Big Brother seem perfect for Covid. 

Get your contestants picked out, minimize your crew and production. Have a base with hired on-site cooks for crew. Test everyone, fly them to the locale, test for the next 2 weeks, then if all clear start up the show. 

Oh man...

Just finally started Survivor Australia season 7. Wow...

All-Stars cast, and they're great. Every one a good player and good fit in the dynamic of this season.

First episode, first challenge... it's great. A twist on the final-tribal firemaking challenge, the first challenge this season is one tribe vs. another to move a giant sled to collect wood to build a giant bonfire and raise their flag, the prize being a fully furnished camp, shelter already built, fire pit in place. Great way to start a season.

Solid play in both the first two episodes sending home smart picks.

Then this third episode :lmao:   MF'ing epic. Finally, amazingly, someone pulls off the dream alliance and seems to be playing it perfectly. I won't get into it too much, but, super tense and exciting third tribal council and amazing, four/five-levels deep thinking going on. 

Can't believe I'm only 3 episodes in. There are like 20+ more, fifty days out there to cover. This season already looks stellar.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Survivor Australia is the best version of this game.

On 6/26/2020 at 11:32 PM, Walking Boot said:

Colby Donaldson is the host of the after-show for ALONE on the History Channel. And... he sucks. If they were once grooming him to be Probst's eventual replacement, I hope they've moved on. I don't think he'd be good at all.

Maybe they are looking at Boston Rob as a Probst replacement.

19 hours ago, northern exposure said:

Maybe they are looking at Boston Rob as a Probst replacement.

Probst is going to host Survivor until he dies, or it's cancelled. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 10:30 AM, The Noid said:

Probst is going to host Survivor until he dies, or it's cancelled. 

Not sure why people think they are looking for a replacement?  Probst isn’t 75, the job allows him travel to tropical paradises and it isn’t difficult or demanding. 

2 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Not sure why people think they are looking for a replacement?  Probst isn’t 75, the job allows him travel to tropical paradises and it isn’t difficult or demanding. 

He's got $Ted.Danson money and might just want to walk the earth and get out of the grind someday. 

On 6/27/2020 at 1:32 AM, Walking Boot said:

If they want the replacement to be a former castaway who has experience in TV, I bet Rick Devens would be good.

Edited by Pip's Invitation
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LoadLetterPaper said:

No survivor 41 this fall. How can I possibly go on? I will be lost 😭

I don't see that being reported. Are you just assuming?

Edited by Payne

1 hour ago, Payne said:

I don't see that being reported. Are you just assuming?

They haven't started filming yet and no plan till at least labor day. 40 days on the island brings them to October. How long to edit? I would think February at the earliest

Edited by LoadLetterPaper

9 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

They could complete edits of the early episodes before the end of filming.

I mean, not really. At least, not the version of the show we are used to seeing. They cut out what is irrelevant, and leave in all the important story points, but, it's hard to know what will matter without knowing who wins. 

When some guy that finishes 4th makes a double-secret alliance deal that turns into nothing, they ignore it and don't show it, for example. But if they know he wins, they have to include it. But they can't really "lock" the first few episodes for broadcast until they see who wins.

And, speaking as someone who works in this industry... it's not getting them much ahead to start editing before the end. At most, they're saving 37 days, after all. So it's not worth putting out an inferior product in order to make an airdate 5 weeks earlier. By the time it turns around and airs... it won't matter. The way I count it, they make 14 episodes. So if they can be on the air by mid-September, they can air 14 by Dec. 16th. Or, perhaps, they can air 2 a week and premiere on Nov. 4th. They're not going to want to run later than Dec. 16 or cross the break, though. (I work on network airdate scheduling and you always have to work backwards from your finale date).  BUT... if they can't hit 11/4, they might as well wait until or after 1/6/21 to premiere. Running five or six episodes in Nov/Dec then taking several weeks off around the holidays then coming back and only having eight or nine episodes in the new year doesn't really help CBS. They'd end up with nothing to air on Wednesday nights during the March Madness period, which they'd hate... better to get all those good ratings in for every night of the week. Ideally for CBS, if they can't make 2 a week starting 11/4, they're better off premiering in late January (high ratings period due to (potentially) the NFL playoffs) and airing through May and through two Sweeps periods. 

3 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

I mean, not really. At least, not the version of the show we are used to seeing. They cut out what is irrelevant, and leave in all the important story points, but, it's hard to know what will matter without knowing who wins. 

When some guy that finishes 4th makes a double-secret alliance deal that turns into nothing, they ignore it and don't show it, for example. But if they know he wins, they have to include it. But they can't really "lock" the first few episodes for broadcast until they see who wins.

And, speaking as someone who works in this industry... it's not getting them much ahead to start editing before the end. At most, they're saving 37 days, after all. So it's not worth putting out an inferior product in order to make an airdate 5 weeks earlier. By the time it turns around and airs... it won't matter. The way I count it, they make 14 episodes. So if they can be on the air by mid-September, they can air 14 by Dec. 16th. Or, perhaps, they can air 2 a week and premiere on Nov. 4th. They're not going to want to run later than Dec. 16 or cross the break, though. (I work on network airdate scheduling and you always have to work backwards from your finale date).  BUT... if they can't hit 11/4, they might as well wait until or after 1/6/21 to premiere. Running five or six episodes in Nov/Dec then taking several weeks off around the holidays then coming back and only having eight or nine episodes in the new year doesn't really help CBS. They'd end up with nothing to air on Wednesday nights during the March Madness period, which they'd hate... better to get all those good ratings in for every night of the week. Ideally for CBS, if they can't make 2 a week starting 11/4, they're better off premiering in late January (high ratings period due to (potentially) the NFL playoffs) and airing through May and through two Sweeps periods. 

Come on, this is an internet message board......no fair using insider knowledge to make sense. 

7 hours ago, LoadLetterPaper said:

They haven't started filming yet and no plan till at least labor day. 40 days on the island brings them to October. How long to edit? I would think February at the earliest

Makes sense. Crap

They should just make a mashup of Alone and Survivor.  The contestants arrive on the island, spend 14 days living on their own with a go-pro and then merge into 2 or 3 tribes.  The crew can self quarantine ahead of time.  Maybe each contestant gets to give out a very brief written description of themselves which all the others can read (and they can lie and make up whatever they want to say), and then they can exchange notes during the 14 days.  Maybe setup a challenge where they show up one at a time and it is a timed event, winner gets something delivered to their camp.   Seems like a show based on living in an isolated location for 39 days should be able to figure out how to get around covid.

On 7/6/2020 at 1:50 PM, Cjw_55106 said:

Riding back to L.A. from Tahiti on jetski IS inherently dangerous.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1