Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
NewlyRetired

Survivor Season 40 (Winners at War): Starts Wednesday Feb. 12, 2020

17 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Season 41 officially yanked from the CBS fall schedule. :kicksrock: 

BOOOOOO! Is there anything more quintessentially "survivor" than filming a season in the jungle with COVID bearing down on you?

13 minutes ago, EYLive said:

BOOOOOO! Is there anything more quintessentially "survivor" than filming a season in the jungle with COVID bearing down on you?

"For our first challenge, everyone open your mouth and I'm going to sneeze into it"

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

16 minutes ago, EYLive said:

I'm super in for this. No BS family visits or food rewards. Plenty of med-evacs. Hell yes.

I'm hoping they do it right.  Preview looks good.

Just finished his new show Treasure Island, it was better than I expected.

• Thanks 1

Back in 2011, they had a show called Expedition Impossible with three person teams doing something similar. It was a one shot, summer fill in show. I liked it for what it was. This sounds much tougher though.

On 7/15/2020 at 2:09 PM, rick6668 said:

Just finished his new show Treasure Island, it was better than I expected.

Recently saw all 6 seasons of Bear GryIls THE ISLAND - where he strands ~12 British people on an island for 30+ days.  They are only provided two 5-gal canisters of water, some fishhooks, and some machetes and they have ~2 in the group that are assigned to film everything.  No production staff.  No challenges.  No rewards.   No tribal councils....no vote offs.   I found it interesting in a "Social experiment sort of way" in that each season, the group dynamics are different (group of all men, all women, mixed men/women, high paying jobbers vs day labor wagers)

You can find the 1st 4 seasons are on Amazon Prime........Season 5 and 6  i had to watch online. 
The sixth series, now renamed Treasure Island with Bear Grylls, started airing on 8 Sept 2019. This series is the first to involve cash prizes but dropped from air to the island for the participants to find.      [actually, i didn't like this season as much due to the manipulation factor

On 7/15/2020 at 6:23 PM, James Bond said:

Back in 2011, they had a show called Expedition Impossible with three person teams doing something similar. It was a one shot, summer fill in show. I liked it for what it was. This sounds much tougher though.

I remember seeing that series.

Also just finished the Fiji Eco-Challenge series as well.

I'm on episode 4 of The World's Toughest Race on Amazon. The old people are predictably struggling early.

4 minutes ago, EYLive said:

I'm on episode 4 of The World's Toughest Race on Amazon. The old people are predictably struggling early.

One thing that i really liked about the series is the production team constantly providing GPS maps of the course, with colors for stages, checkpoints, team locations, etc.
especially since it must be tough to try to tell an overlapping story that can last between 5 -14 days depending on which team and  which day they are showing and how they may be ahead or behind other teams.

I know it's says World's Toughest Race in the title, but i thought "whomever decided to stage the Waterfall climb and immediately follow it up by a lengthy hypothermia swim must be 1 sick bastard".   I felt due to the hypothermia factor that there should have been a mandatory overnight camp there.    

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Recently saw all 6 seasons of Bear GryIls THE ISLAND - where he strands ~12 British people on an island for 30+ days.  They are only provided two 5-gal canisters of water, some fishhooks, and some machetes and they have ~2 in the group that are assigned to film everything.  No production staff.  No challenges.  No rewards.   No tribal councils....no vote offs.   I found it interesting in a "Social experiment sort of way" in that each season, the group dynamics are different (group of all men, all women, mixed men/women, high paying jobbers vs day labor wagers)

You can find the 1st 4 seasons are on Amazon Prime........Season 5 and 6  i had to watch online. 
The sixth series, now renamed Treasure Island with Bear Grylls, started airing on 8 Sept 2019. This series is the first to involve cash prizes but dropped from air to the island for the participants to find.      [actually, i didn't like this season as much due to the manipulation factor

I remember seeing that series.

Also just finished the Fiji Eco-Challenge series as well.

Will have to check this out.  I have been watching Alone.  just started the most recent season.  Its pretty good. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah I binged season 6 of Alone last week and enjoyed it.  No real spoilers here but

The person who won was the only one in the field who had even a chance in hell of surviving out there through the winter .. very impressive..

2 hours ago, JZilla said:

Yeah I binged season 6 of Alone last week and enjoyed it.  No real spoilers here but

Hide contents

The person who won was the only one in the field who had even a chance in hell of surviving out there through the winter .. very impressive..

Hmm i can’t wait to see who wins.  I’m only a few episodes in. They are all quite impressive. 100 days though i can’t even imagine.

17 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Just got an email the Pluto TV has added channels for old seasons of Survivor and The Amazing Race.

Nice.  As a big Survivor fan, I've always loved AR as well.  

1 hour ago, Walking Boot said:

Just got an email the Pluto TV has added channels for old seasons of Survivor and The Amazing Race.

Did it say what channel it was?

Hulu has old seasons of Survivor but they leave out an episode or two per season, it's really weird and annoying.

Just saw this article from a few days ago. It suggests that Survivor might start filming this month with Fiji in Phase 2 and Prime Minister spoke specifically of opening beaches up for Survivor and other production who film on the beaches usually. However Fiji would require anyone flying in to post a negative test and then quarantine for 14 days among other guidelines. Feasible? Maybe but there looks like hope is on the horizon for a possible filming start either this month or the next month or 2. If they start filming this month they can have it done for an early Feb debut. However the article doesn't mention or come near to saying it's a done deal or if everyone would be ready to fly in this month either. Also no official word in Fiji yet on opening beaches for filming either 

Survivor could start filming in Sept in Fiji per report.

On 9/3/2020 at 4:12 PM, LoadLetterPaper said:

Is anything sacred? Does everything have to be B & W.  Stop it :(

yes let’s just ignore it.  That will help.  Surely that plan will get us to a place where we don’t have to have such conversations again.  They will just go away 🙄

On 9/2/2020 at 8:16 AM, PinkydaPimp said:

Pinky...

Made a good faith attempt to watch this... heard comments like "I was on the most diverse season ever"... "I was on the first season with three black finalists"...  "I won.  But the next time I played, they targeted anyone of color that I got close with... I guess I could have played better".  The latter was from Jeremy, a player that I really like and respect (and root for).  I was especially interested in his commentary when I saw him on the panel.   I stopped watching at that point; I wasn't surprised or alarmed at their comments and the video was long.

Are we surprised that black survivor contestants bond with each other?   People will bond on common traits; be that gender, race, age, or even profession (Ironically, most notably "cops" on Survivor).  Conversely, people can feel separation based on different traits.  I don't deny this is real but do believe some it is based on perception.

The show labels itself as a social experiment.  And it is... twenty people of diverse backgrounds thrown together albeit in a contrived situation...  Gilligan's Island on steroids, if you will.  The game tries to address social issues; actually, I think they try to hard sometimes and force an issue.  Overall, I think they've been exceptional at putting issues in front of the public.  Dividing tribes by race was ballsy. The outing of Zeke, a transgender contestant, and Dan's failure to recognize his own inappropriate touching behavior were more impactful because it was reality TV.

Should the show have more black contestants?  Probably.  Cast selection must be an interesting process.  I've seen metrics that say 80% of the applicants are white; not sure how much that has changed in recent years. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2020 at 10:01 AM, PinkydaPimp said:

yes let’s just ignore it.  That will help.  Surely that plan will get us to a place where we don’t have to have such conversations again.  They will just go away 🙄

Ignore what?  Are you saying the survivor producers show favoritism and pick a certain color to be on the show? you think they don't pick the best contestants in their eyes? Does Survivor need a Rooney Rule to make you happy?

Edited by LoadLetterPaper

I think as long as the percentage of racial representation is consistent with the US Census, there's not much more we can ask for. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Interesting clip. The problem I see is that every year, there is one winner and 15 to 20 who don't win. And it seems that every one who doesn't win claims that it was due to the fact that they were too strong, too smart, too strategic, or just plain "too much of a threat" to the other players. They all seem incredibly unaware. It's not limited to Survivor either. You see the same thing on Big Brother and Amazing Race. The fact is that some contestants play too hard too soon or are just plain unlikable. It's not just based upon one factor like race or gender or religion.  That's not to say that there isn't evidence of systemic racism. Certainly the make up of the contestant pool doesn't reflect the racial representation of the US as a whole. But the assertion that Survivor was intentionally favoring players solely based upon race seems unsupported. There does seem to be a lot of anger about it though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

Interesting clip. The problem I see is that every year, there is one winner and 15 to 20 who don't win. And it seems that every one who doesn't win claims that it was due to the fact that they were too strong, too smart, too strategic, or just plain "too much of a threat" to the other players. They all seem incredibly unaware. It's not limited to Survivor either. You see the same thing on Big Brother and Amazing Race. The fact is that some contestants play too hard too soon or are just plain unlikable. It's not just based upon one factor like race or gender or religion.  That's not to say that there isn't evidence of systemic racism. Certainly the make up of the contestant pool doesn't reflect the racial representation of the US as a whole. But the assertion that Survivor was intentionally favoring players solely based upon race seems unsupported. There does seem to be a lot of anger about it though.

Yup.

The S37 and S39 casts were quite diverse and hopefully that will remain true going forward. 

On 9/7/2020 at 12:21 PM, DropKick said:

I've seen metrics that say 80% of the applicants are white; not sure how much that has changed in recent years. 

It will be interesting to see if that changes now that the discussion of underrepresentation is out in the open. I also wonder if what Davie said at the S37 reunion had any impact. He lamented that Survivor isn't as big a deal in the Black community as it is in the white community, and encouraged more minorities to apply. 

After the fiasco of how they (mis)handled the very recent sexual harassment issue, I'm not sure the show gets the benefit of the doubt for any concerns like this that are being raised.  

3 hours ago, Pip's Invitation said:

It will be interesting to see if that changes now that the discussion of underrepresentation is out in the open. I also wonder if what Davie said at the S37 reunion had any impact. He lamented that Survivor isn't as big a deal in the Black community as it is in the white community, and encouraged more minorities to apply. 

That might be true, but can't imagine that stopping tons of black fans from applying. On a typical 18 contestant season, if they cast an average 2.3 black people per season that would satisfy the representation. I think the underrepresentation of the Hispanic/Latino community is much greater (maybe there are more in just CA and the SouthWest), but if brown people don't care about Survivor, then it's not much of an issue.

• Like 1

https://ew.com/tv/cbs-reality-series-casting-representation/

:thumbup:

CBS pledges Survivor, Big Brother casts will now be 50 percent people of color

Following criticism from past contestants, shows like Survivor, Big Brother, and Love Island will include at least 50 percent people of color in their casts moving forward.

"The reality TV genre is an area that’s especially underrepresented, and needs to be more inclusive across development, casting, production and all phases of storytelling," said George Cheeks, president and chief executive officer for the CBS Entertainment Group. "As we strive to improve all of these creative aspects, the commitments announced today are important first steps in sourcing new voices to create content and further expanding the diversity in our unscripted programming, as well as on our network."

The move follows several Survivor contestants speaking out about the lack of diversity in the long-running show's cast.

Over the summer, contestants including Sean Rector (season 4, Survivor: Marquesas) and Jolanda Jones (season 10, Survivor: Palau) formed a group called The Black Survivor Alliance with the goal of "bringing light to our collective experience with implicit bias and racism on and off the show" and had a series of meetings with CBS executives and host and executive producer Jeff Probst about the show being more equitable and inclusive. The BSA was one of two groups of former Black contestants to hold meetings with the network and producers.

• Like 1