What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 42: Starts Wednesday March 9, 2022 (6 Viewers)

No, like the time Rob won without much resistance.  Now he has Amber on his team to try and get one of them to another winner's circle.  One of them will probably be first to be voted off, though.  Or should be among the first to go.  
Why? Everyone playing is a winner and neither Amber or Rob is all that great of a strategic player.  These guys all know each other, alliance's have already been formed before they left the airport. 

Why? Everyone playing is a winner and neither Amber or Rob is all that great of a strategic player.  These guys all know each other, alliance's have already been formed before they left the airport. 
That's true, I'm sure alliances have already been formed.  All champions who know what it takes to get through in the game.  One key that every who has watched the game knows is disrupt power couples.  Rob and Amber may take a different approach and keep distance between each other... or try.  

I was looking at the roster again and there are some good players out there if this is the actual lineup.  Yul, Ben, Wendell, Jeremy were all good at challenges and decent socially.  Don't remember Sophie or Michelle but like most of the women's side as well, except Sandra.  Hope she is first to go.  

Horrible ending to a subpar season. The only thing that made it decent was Devins. Imagine if he was out early?...oof.

If they wanted to continue EoE after Devins made it back in, everyone else should have gone home and they start over with the next one out being the first on the jury. But better yet, EoE should have ended when Devins got back in.

I've never missed a season but these next 2 look tough to get motivated for.

That's true, I'm sure alliances have already been formed.  All champions who know what it takes to get through in the game.  One key that every who has watched the game knows is disrupt power couples.  Rob and Amber may take a different approach and keep distance between each other... or try.  

I was looking at the roster again and there are some good players out there if this is the actual lineup.  Yul, Ben, Wendell, Jeremy were all good at challenges and decent socially.  Don't remember Sophie or Michelle but like most of the women's side as well, except Sandra.  Hope she is first to go.  
I would be surprised if Amber and Rob are on the same tribe to begin with. Yeah Sandra going first makes sense.  She really is no help around camp or challenges, the smart players won't let her fly under the radar and slide to the end.

Horrible ending to a subpar season. The only thing that made it decent was Devins. Imagine if he was out early?...oof.

If they wanted to continue EoE after Devins made it back in, everyone else should have gone home and they start over with the next one out being the first on the jury. But better yet, EoE should have ended when Devins got back in.

I've never missed a season but these next 2 look tough to get motivated for.
The next season with Rob and Sandra being mentors looks abysmal, but I'm sort of looking forward to the all champions season.  Should be interesting.  

Lauren was a complete idiot. It's beyond me how saving Chris furthered her game at all especially since she was now at risk for the final 4. Made 0 sense at all and two seconds of thought should have immediately told herself that you never, ever, give up your idol when you are guaranteed final 4, which means you are at worst in a fire challenge for final 3. Boggles my mind how dumb people can be. Same with Rick saving Chris. The only super physical threat to him in challenges and he saves Chris giving him that half an idol.

It really makes Chris winning that much worse that he got saved twice. That idol coming back at final 6 was awful as well. How can you give the EoE person an idol with that few left? Such an advantage, but I honestly think Survivor wanted that first of someone winning who was voted out.
They did not give him an idol.  They gave him half an idol and he had to find someone he trusted and use them to make sure he got that half back.  He also couldn't use it for the first TC after he got back in so he had to survive that as well.  It was an advantage but things had to break right for him to be able to use it.  It wasn't just a freebie. 

They did not give him an idol.  They gave him half an idol and he had to find someone he trusted and use them to make sure he got that half back.  He also couldn't use it for the first TC after he got back in so he had to survive that as well.  It was an advantage but things had to break right for him to be able to use it.  It wasn't just a freebie. 
How is it not a freebie when it was given to him? I understand your notes on it but he did nothing to earn it. That’s huge. It’d be like a producer just walking up to Lauren and giving her that when she was in trouble. Maybe it won’t work but it’s still a big difference make for someone who got it gifted to him by the show. With only two tribals left getting something that could save you at the 2nd is a huge game changer.

How is it not a freebie when it was given to him? I understand your notes on it but he did nothing to earn it. That’s huge. It’d be like a producer just walking up to Lauren and giving her that when she was in trouble. Maybe it won’t work but it’s still a big difference make for someone who got it gifted to him by the show. With only two tribals left getting something that could save you at the 2nd is a huge game changer.
It was kind of like finding a clue to an idol.  He still had to do work to find it.  Yes, they gave it to him but what they gave him had no value without the second half of it.  If Devens was voted out it was lost.  If Devens didn't give it back it was useless.  If He didn't make it past that initial tribal it was lost.   Many things had to fall into place for it to have value.   They did not just give him an idol for him to use whenever he wanted to use it.  It was kind of like finding a clue to an idol.  He still had to do work to find it.

It was kind of like finding a clue to an idol.  He still had to do work to find it.  Yes, they gave it to him but what they gave him had no value without the second half of it.  If Devens was voted out it was lost.  If Devens didn't give it back it was useless.  If He didn't make it past that initial tribal it was lost.   Many things had to fall into place for it to have value.   They did not just give him an idol for him to use whenever he wanted to use it.  It was kind of like finding a clue to an idol.  He still had to do work to find it.
It was more the producers giving him a clue to an idol. Make no mistake - it was a gift.

It was more the producers giving him a clue to an idol. Make no mistake - it was a gift.
I didn't say I agreed with it.  I just tried to clarify it wasn't just giving him an idol.  It was giving him a clue.  He still had to do something with it.

What a horrible ending.  No way, no how did that guy deserve to win.  But hey, it's Survivor and many times the best player doesn't win.

I thought it was a great season and Devins has to be considered one of the all-time greats.

ETA: I wish they'd forget the 3-person finale.  Just go back to 2.  The 3rd person never matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a horrible ending.  No way, no how did that guy deserve to win.  But hey, it's Survivor and many times the best player doesn't win.

I thought it was a great season and Devins has to be considered one of the all-time greats.

ETA: I wish they'd forget the 3-person finale.  Just go back to 2.  The 3rd person never matters.
Agree.  Seems like the 3rd person usually gets the embarrassment of not receiving a vote.  

And what's the point of having a "Reunion Show" if the finale goes into the first 30 minutes of it and then the reveal of the winner takes another 10 minutes?  The reunion is pretty much Jeff asking each person one lame question and then revealing what next season is.  

Maybe make the season go one week more, have the finale actually be 2 hours and then do a real one hour reunion.  If Bravo has taught me anything (and it has taught me a lot), it's that reunions can sometimes be better than an entire season.

Maybe I missed it, but how and why did Lauren give her idol to save Chris thereby voting out Vic, her closest ally in the game.  Makes no sense...

stlrams said:
Maybe I missed it, but how and why did Lauren give her idol to save Chris thereby voting out Vic, her closest ally in the game.  Makes no sense...
I think it was pretty simple....

Chris went to her and basically said, I know I am a goner, but if you want to use me you can....Chris was the only one that knew she had an idol because of Wentworth....you guys are going to have to start slashing each other at some point and you know everybody is going to vote for me....if you give me the idol and we vote together, you are guaranteed to move on because nobody is voting for you (and I believe Lauren had to use the idol at that tribal one way or the other)....and in getting out one of the still remaining, she knows she has a better chance to beat Chris if she takes Chris along for the ride instead of Victoria....

Chris's only hope initially was to find one of the remaining players that wanted to use him.....so he went after the person who only he knew had an idol...was able to kill two birds with one stone/idol...really

Honestly, tho, the full hour reunion is a bore. I fast forward thru most of it. 
I like it when they ask the right questions.  It helps answer a lot of the things that the viewers didn't understand or were left on the cutting room floor.  If you're going to use it for an hour of patting each other on the back,  then yeah, I agree with you.  

I think it was pretty simple....

Chris went to her and basically said, I know I am a goner, but if you want to use me you can....Chris was the only one that knew she had an idol because of Wentworth....you guys are going to have to start slashing each other at some point and you know everybody is going to vote for me....if you give me the idol and we vote together, you are guaranteed to move on because nobody is voting for you (and I believe Lauren had to use the idol at that tribal one way or the other)....and in getting out one of the still remaining, she knows she has a better chance to beat Chris if she takes Chris along for the ride instead of Victoria....

Chris's only hope initially was to find one of the remaining players that wanted to use him.....so he went after the person who only he knew had an idol...was able to kill two birds with one stone/idol...really
The bolded is incorrect.  She used the idol on Chris with 6 left.  She (lauren) was voted out at the next TC with 5 left ... which WAS the last time she could have used her idol.

stlrams said:
I heard that on show but still didn't understand Lauren's logic to buying into his pitch..
I recall him saying that Kelly said on EoE that Lauren needed to make a big move with her idol if she wanted a chance to win. She needed to play it correctly "on herself or someone else" to get more props from the prospective jury. I'm thinking she figured it would be a "big Move" to build her resume.

stlrams said:
this part is wrong.  the idol didn't save chris.  lauren wasted it on him.  vic was getting 2 votes and chris only 1.  vic was going home any way.

I recall him saying that Kelly said on EoE that Lauren needed to make a big move with her idol if she wanted a chance to win. She needed to play it correctly "on herself or someone else" to get more props from the prospective jury. I'm thinking she figured it would be a "big Move" to build her resume.
This is correct.  He planted the seed with that lie.

Gally said:
I didn't say I agreed with it.  I just tried to clarify it wasn't just giving him an idol.  It was giving him a clue.  He still had to do something with it.
the producers giving him any type of an advantage is just something I don't agree with here.....he already got an advantage (he was freaking voted out and let back in)...

now granted, he played it PERFECTLY once he got back in....but let's be honest....he doesn't win without the idol/clue whatever you want to call it.....there was ZERO reason to give him an advantage....I would have liked to have seen how it played out if the producers didn't introduce that idol....it was unnecessary and a winner deciding game changer....

this part is wrong.  the idol didn't save chris.  lauren wasted it on him.  vic was getting 2 votes and chris only 1.  vic was going home any way.
those votes might have been different if Chris and Lauren weren't on the same page....if she is not working with Chris, she probably votes against him....so I think that idol and knowing it was going to be played for him....did save Chris...

the producers giving him any type of an advantage is just something I don't agree with here.....he already got an advantage (he was freaking voted out and let back in)...

now granted, he played it PERFECTLY once he got back in....but let's be honest....he doesn't win without the idol/clue whatever you want to call it.....there was ZERO reason to give him an advantage....I would have liked to have seen how it played out if the producers didn't introduce that idol....it was unnecessary and a winner deciding game changer....
I totally agree. 

I also thought that instead of the EoE players competing just against each other to get back in they should have had all contestants compete in that challenge.  Not only would the EoE players have to beat the other EoE players they would have to beat the players still in the game.  If they couldn't do that too then nobody got back in the game.  I didn't think it was good that someone was coming back for sure - especially that late in the game. 

Didn't Chris also tell Lauren that the word around EofE was that Victoria was a favorite among them of those left in the game?  He was steering her to vote out Vic, IIRC.  Don't remember who Lauren actually voted for that TC.  

Didn't Chris also tell Lauren that the word around EofE was that Victoria was a favorite among them of those left in the game?  He was steering her to vote out Vic, IIRC.  Don't remember who Lauren actually voted for that TC.  
thats the thing.....we know it wasn't Chis....if Lauren and Chris weren't working together....Chris is a goner right there

This is correct.  He planted the seed with that lie.
Agreed.  But what confused me is that's not a negative reverse.  As I understand it an NR is when you're trying to make a prospect move (one way or the other) instead of stalling you.  So you tell them something like, "Hey, in the past when people have told me they need another week to think about it, they aren't really interested.  Should I assume that's your situation as well?"   This motivates the prospect either to admit their lack of interest or stop waffling and commit.  

If anyone can explain how this applies to what Chris told Lauren (or let me know how I've incorrectly described an NR), I'd appreciate it sincerely.  

thats the thing.....we know it wasn't Chis....if Lauren and Chris weren't working together....Chris is a goner right there
I agree with you.  Lauren voted Rick and Rick was safe along with Chris.  Rick and Chris voted for Victoria, who went home that TC.  Vic was the only one that voted for Chris and probably thought Lauren was as well.  If Lauren doesn't give Chris her idol and votes for him instead of Rick, it would have been a tie between Chris and Vic.  Re-vote probably would have been for Chris assuming Julie and Gavin vote for Chris (they voted Rick).  

You also have to assume the players were thinking the chances of Chris winning after being out of the game for so long were slim. Which is why they likely considered him to be a pawn for the most part. 
right...all the players still in the real game knew they should try to take Chris with them.....thats why IMO the producers didn't need to give him an advantage...he became an immediate resource to the players still in the game if they chose to use him correctly....and Chris knew it so it was an easy pitch to Lauren.....the fact that only he knew she has an idol was a bonus....she didn't have much of a choice to play along with him once he came to her....because if she decided not to play nice in the sandbox, he could let everybody else (or a few or at least one) know that she had the idol......so while he wants to make it seem like some jedi mind trick....it really wasn't since Wentworth spilled the beans from her vomit mouth as soon as she was eliminated....

if Chris doesn't know about her idol....things may go a lot differently...another "advantage" he already got from being voted out....and more reason not to give him another advantage...

The bolded is incorrect.  She used the idol on Chris with 6 left.  She (lauren) was voted out at the next TC with 5 left ... which WAS the last time she could have used her idol.
Yep. That’s why it was so dumb regardless of what he says or big moves to make. Blindside someone with him, but don’t ever give up your guarantee to the final 4. By guaranteed I mean that she knew she wasn’t going home at 6 and had the idol at 5.

Also, funny that anyone would think thats was the last time when she went home the next week trying to play a fake idol and they made such a huge hub bun with all the real/fake idols when she got voted off.

Agreed.  But what confused me is that's not a negative reverse.  As I understand it an NR is when you're trying to make a prospect move (one way or the other) instead of stalling you.  So you tell them something like, "Hey, in the past when people have told me they need another week to think about it, they aren't really interested.  Should I assume that's your situation as well?"   This motivates the prospect either to admit their lack of interest or stop waffling and commit.  

If anyone can explain how this applies to what Chris told Lauren (or let me know how I've incorrectly described an NR), I'd appreciate it sincerely.  
You are right - he was wrong.  it's when decision makers don't like confrontation, so they string you along until you go away.  candidly, it's a "technique" that most people use innately.  much ado about nothing.

Vic was the biggest goat left???

Yep. That’s why it was so dumb regardless of what he says or big moves to make. Blindside someone with him, but don’t ever give up your guarantee to the final 4. By guaranteed I mean that she knew she wasn’t going home at 6 and had the idol at 5.

Also, funny that anyone would think thats was the last time when she went home the next week trying to play a fake idol and they made such a huge hub bun with all the real/fake idols when she got voted off.
but Chris knew she had the idol....so if she doesn't play nice with him, she knows he could spill the beans to the rest of the tribe....she really had no choice once he came to her...

I'm always amazed that the third place person who gets dragged along never has any clue that they are terrible at the game.  I actually feel bad for them when they stand in front of the jury and plead their case as to why they should win.  

"Well, I'd say the strongest part of my game was having a nervous breakdown, crying all of the time, never winning immunity, and pissing off most of the jury.  That's the game plan I came in with and I stuck with it the whole game.  :bowtie: "

but Chris knew she had the idol....so if she doesn't play nice with him, she knows he could spill the beans to the rest of the tribe....she really had no choice once he came to her...
She could have just not played the idol on him. You don't use idols until right before Jeff reads the votes.

She could have just not played the idol on him. You don't use idols until after the votes have already been cast.
Yep and then she’s safe no matter what and with Devens winning she’s either doing fire or if Chris does the same she’s in the final 3.

She could also say that she’s voting with him, she doesn’t have to play the idol for him. He just wanted to get to the next week (hoping Devens gives him back the half) so voting with her and Rick gets him through without the idol.

She felt a little pressure and folded without realizing she gave away something that gave her a really good chance to be in the final 3. 

I can't remember if it's been done before, but, I'd love to see the 3rd person go scorched earth at the final tribal. "These two idiots were jerkface d-bags who screwed you all over. Vote for me to spite them!"
Yeah, I said the same thing a couple pages back.  But apparently they're not smart enough to know they are dead weight.

Oh and honestly the 3rd place person must kinda know it and is maybe just playing for 2nd place. IIRC 1st gets a million, 2nd gets 100k, and 3rd gets like 30k. Anything to steal enough votes from the 2nd place person to sneak past them at the wire is worth a shot.
Third place gets $85,000, according to Wikipedia. There is a sliding scale for the rest of the participants and they also get an appearance fee for attending the reunion.

He really couldn't if she doesn't give him the HII and helps vote him out.  Don't think he would be allowed to say anything once the votes are read that he has been voted out.

Who cares if he spilled the beans?  By that time it would be going into the final TC she could play it and it wouldn't matter if everyone knew she had it.  It was a colossally bad move on her part to actually part with the idol.  Almost as bad as the biggest idiot of all that gave away his immunity challenge winning immunity and then was promptly voted out that TC. 

You are right - he was wrong.  it's when decision makers don't like confrontation, so they string you along until you go away.  candidly, it's a "technique" that most people use innately.  much ado about nothing.
Gotcha - thanks.  I meant no disrespect to Chris; I liked him and I enjoyed his win.  The EOE twist had loads of problems (chief among them the fact thst the editors spent almost no time there) but that wasn't his fault.  I was just trying to understand what I missed in his comment.  

Users who are viewing this thread