What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 42: Starts Wednesday March 9, 2022 (1 Viewer)

Interesting and it wouldn’t surprise me. I don’t doubt that Kellee was 100% uncomfortable with Dan and that others were less comfortable but I’m surprised there wasn’t more shown. The cameras are on 24 hours and they showed him spooning with Missy and his arm on her at least 3 times just last night.

Dan is absolutely creepy and over touchy to the point where it’s inappropriate but I do wonder how much Survivor was trying to make it a bigger issue. I don’t for one second think that they weren’t thinking about ratings and all the discussion off show.
Missy went out of her way to say that she had no problem with the guy sleeping with her in the shelter. Perhaps she didn't feel comfortable telling him to his face but she sat on the beach the night it was all brought up and was acting as if Kellee / the lifeguard lady were taking her words out of context.

This was uncomfortable to watch.   I wish Kellee had played one of her idols.   And then to see Jamal go next, particularly after what he said at tribal which I agree with.  

By the way "Feely Dan" - not sure who originated that but it fits.

I like Survivor and have watched from the beginning. Over the years it is definitely apparent that Survivor is trying to push social issues within the show. I don't mind this because I think they have good intentions and are trying to show examples how people with different beliefs or outlooks can interact and get along with each other despite their differences. 

Which brings us to Dan. I almost wonder if they intentionally cast him because during the interview process they got a "handsy" vibe from him that they knew might cause problems on the show. I have a hard time reconciling that the metoo movement has just occurred, and "surprise!" Survivor has a potential metoo issue on their show. It feels kind of set up (as a good majority of things on reality TV are).
That's certainly possible, but the MeToo movement became huge in the public consciousness over two years ago.

Kellee was especially dumb for not using an idol because it was the first vote after the merge.  Things were obviously unsettled and if you stay alive you learn a lot about where you really stand alliance-wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
He doesn't technically "owe" her, but she went out of her way to save him, she could have just used the idol on herself.  Maybe she was showing off a move for later on, but he was definitely going home if she doesn't intervene.  Maybe the person who wasn't originally aligned with you and went out of their way to give you an idol to survive a tribal might be a good ally going forward.  

If he just gave her a hint she was going home, she stays, Dan goes and is Dean worse off?  Didn't see him being really aligned with Dan.  IT's probably a good idea to keep players around who will work with you, the game changes quickly.
He was still at the bottom with Kellee, she used him to try and make a statement move, which unfortunately included Noura. It’s not like Kellee promised to work with him this week. He’s now part of the folks who got rid of Kellee which likely buys him a lot more time than not knowing if he’s safe. If Kellee has given him any kind of lifeline or promise this week then maybe he warns her. He didn’t throw her under the bus pre-merge but he’s in a much better position now.

How is he in a better position with Dan in the game instead of Kellee? He could have told Kellee on the downlow she might be a target and no one would have been the wiser when she used an idol.
The vote was 8 to 5 for Kellee. If he tells Kellee and Dan goes home then it's 6-6 assuming Dean flops. All it takes is one flop and now he's in the minority with Kellee. Right now, he's one of the majority who voted out Kellee and Jamal. He certainly doesn't appear to me to be a target any time soon, so he certainly seems better off to me.

Kellee said almost nothing to him post merge, so again why would he say anything that could possibly put a target on his back when he's now in a much better position? Thanks for saving me, but that was yesterday and she's gone now.

What does Dean gain if he tells Kellee?

First and foremost I blame the producers.  Dan should have been removed from the game immediately earlier in the season, let alone after the early events of this ep.  "Given a warning?"  Ooooh!  Scary!  He's an obvious creep and there's no way he's innocently oblivious.  The defenses of him here are depressing.  

Whenever something like this happens on Survivor I always wonder how much they trip over themselves to exploit an issue of social relevance for ratings and buzz.  

dhockster said:
Which brings us to Dan. I almost wonder if they intentionally cast him because during the interview process they got a "handsy" vibe from him that they knew might cause problems on the show. I have a hard time reconciling that the metoo movement has just occurred, and "surprise!" Survivor has a potential metoo issue on their show. It feels kind of set up (as a good majority of things on reality TV are).
Where did you see this?  So they knew he was Handsy?

First and foremost I blame the producers.  Dan should have been removed from the game immediately earlier in the season, let alone after the early events of this ep.  "Given a warning?"  Ooooh!  Scary!  He's an obvious creep and there's no way he's innocently oblivious.  The defenses of him here are depressing.  

Whenever something like this happens on Survivor I always wonder how much they trip over themselves to exploit an issue of social relevance for ratings and buzz.  
I had the same feeling.  I think it's fine to use the show as a platform for social awareness but I'd hate to think that producers are in a room somewhere tapping their fingers together over the possibility of capturing something like what happened this season.  It's gets people talking around the water cooler.  Ratings and buzz.  Maybe next season they'll cast a bully.  They haven't covered that issue yet, or maybe I missed it.  

So the girl that feels uncomfortable and speaks up gets voted out, the guy that defended women and minorities gets voted out, and the guy that inappropriately touched women stays on and gets defended by his tribe.

I realize 1 million is at stake and my Jamal take is probably a reach (and yes Kelly was a major threat), but I think it's kind of interesting that all of the above happened.

Can't believe Kellee went out with 2 idols in her pocket.  I was starting to believe she was getting the winner's edit the last few episodes.  

With 1 idol I can see her thinking she's safe enough to hold it.  But 2?  She could have viewed the second one she found as insurance that Dan would go home.  Just use it.  

I feel bad for Janet.  She was exploited for game play when she was only doing what she thought was right, whether in a game or IRL.  Sort of pulling for her now. 

These people need to get Aaron out asap.  He's been dominant in challenges.  His best move would have been to keep his mouth shut at TC, though.  

stbugs said:
That’s so true. Finding idols is more like trick or treating now. I still think that some get (handed out) placed for people to find. On the outs with the tribe but an important person to start interesting TV squabbles like Janet? Ooh, look and idol right there.
I think there is no question that they get handed out.  When Janet was alone on the beach at night I said that I hope she finds in idol after what she's been through.  Three minutes later, "oh hey!  I found an idol!"  But of course.  

Can't believe Kellee went out with 2 idols in her pocket.  I was starting to believe she was getting the winner's edit the last few episodes.  

With 1 idol I can see her thinking she's safe enough to hold it.  But 2?  She could have viewed the second one she found as insurance that Dan would go home.  Just use it.  

I feel bad for Janet.  She was exploited for game play when she was only doing what she thought was right, whether in a game or IRL.  Sort of pulling for her now. 

These people need to get Aaron out asap.  He's been dominant in challenges.  His best move would have been to keep his mouth shut at TC, though.  
Yeah it was really inexcusable of her.  I think the tendency in those situations must be to get greedy and imagine that if you just make it through THIS vote, you're guaranteed top 10 or whatever.  But it was still a horrible decision on first vote of merge when you never know what's going to happen.  

Aaron’s social game will do himself in shortly i believe.  He just can’t keep his mouth shut sometimes.

Where did you see this?  So they knew he was Handsy?
I didn't see it. I am speculating that perhaps during the interview process they may have noticed he was very touchy-feely and cast him because they knew it could lead to issues on the show. They certainly have cast people before knowing that they would stir things up in the game along social issues (race, sexual orientation)

That wasnt the only one.  Dan like groped her body while she was sleeping.  the showed a clip of it earlier in the season and at the beginning of the episode.  I have no doubt there are other instances.  I think the feet thing was just the example that came to mind at the time. 

I am curious to see if Dan actually stops. 
When they showed one of Dan's interviews and we noticed that his occupation was Talent Manager a red flag popped up.  Not necessarily a Weinstein type guy but he is around females wanting to get into show business (**not that all talent agents are creeps of course**).  He seems old school.  He has sort of a casting couch vibe.  He's oblivious to what's happening because it's second nature to him.  But these women aren't trying to get a movie role.  Amazing that he thinks he can get away with his antics when he knows cameras are always rolling.  But if it's just how his life is... he might not think anything is out of line.  It's another reason why his sobby apology seemed forced.  "I would be heart broken if I thought you all were uncomfortable with me."  uh huh, sure Dan.  Just another day in the office. 

At this point, if I was a player and got sent for the first time to island of the idols, it might be a good idea to come back and tell everybody the truth about what is there. Expose everyone who has been before as liars.

At this point, if I was a player and got sent for the first time to island of the idols, it might be a good idea to come back and tell everybody the truth about what is there. Expose everyone who has been before as liars.
Absolutely!  If you're first or second, maybe spin a tale... maybe.  But at this point many on the tribe know what you faced.  Own it and don't try to fool everyone.  And his attempt at fooling Dean was really awful.  Terrible job there by Jamal. 

was starting to believe she was getting the winner's edit the last few episodes.  
Yeah me to. But she got the great edit due to what happened.  Kellee and Jamal will play Survivor again, possibly Janet but she is older and might not be up to it. The rest will never sniff playing Survivor a second time.

Came to post pretty much the same thing. I was rooting for Kellee or Elaine but now hoping for Janet or Elaine.  Not sure about the red head guy yet as he hasnt had much screen time but the rest of this cast can get eaten by sharks or poisoned by snakes at this point.

The big red flag for Dan was when he was playing with Missy's feet- thats way different then putting your hand on someone while talking to them or snuggling in the hut while sleeping.

I think the only explanation for someone not doing that (or a previous person that's been there calling someone out on it) is that they are told they can't tell the truth when they go back. And also why these stories are so bad, because they have to come up with something on their own.

Absolutely!  If you're first or second, maybe spin a tale... maybe.  But at this point many on the tribe know what you faced.  Own it and don't try to fool everyone.  And his attempt at fooling Dean was really awful.  Terrible job there by Jamal. 
More than likely, there's behind the scenes coaching telling them not to divulge the secret.

that was tough to watch. my gut feeling is that Dan is a creep who's probably gotten away with this behavior for so long that it feels normal to him. and if you noticed, he only offered up his apology after Jeff made it clear that they weren't going to "let it go". if he really felt so bad, his apology should have been the first thing out of his mouth.

I feel bad for Janet. she was trying to be protective, and just got played. those other girls should be ashamed. and whether they admitted that they were uncomfortable or not, that clip of him putting his hand on Elizabeth's thigh while they were lying in the shelter made ME uncomfortable. I have hard time believing that she would be okay with that.

Kelley choked. you have 2 idols and you're not 100% sure what's going on, you've gotta play one. got too cute and got bounced.

I feel a little bad for Jamal, but not too much. he was probably the smartest and most eloquent person there, with some interesting takes on social dynamics, but the problem is that he ACTED like he was the smartest one there, and a little dooshy. that hanging envelope, lose-your-vote "lesson" was absolutely terrible though. 

More than likely, there's behind the scenes coaching telling them not to divulge the secret.
I don't mind twists to the game, like island of the idols, but if part of it is you have to keep it a secret, then that just ruins the essence of survivor. Information is so critical in this game and when and when not to share it, and when and when not to lie about it. If the information is restricted, then get rid of that twist. 

The best on-going bit of this season is when someone new goes to Island of the Idols they have such a bewildered and confused look on their faces when they look at those giant heads of a man and woman. They look nothing like Rob and Sandra  :lmao:

The best on-going bit of this season is when someone new goes to Island of the Idols they have such a bewildered and confused look on their faces when they look at those giant heads of a man and woman. They look nothing like Rob and Sandra  :lmao:
They must have really vetted this cast to be sure they liked Rob and Sandra.  

I'd love one of these players to call them out, but even if they did, they'd never show it.

So the girl that feels uncomfortable and speaks up gets voted out, the guy that defended women and minorities gets voted out, and the guy that inappropriately touched women stays on and gets defended by his tribe.

I realize 1 million is at stake and my Jamal take is probably a reach (and yes Kelly was a major threat), but I think it's kind of interesting that all of the above happened.
They could have made Dan POTUS.  Count your blessings.

When they showed one of Dan's interviews and we noticed that his occupation was Talent Manager a red flag popped up.  Not necessarily a Weinstein type guy but he is around females wanting to get into show business (**not that all talent agents are creeps of course**).  He seems old school.  He has sort of a casting couch vibe.  He's oblivious to what's happening because it's second nature to him.  But these women aren't trying to get a movie role.  Amazing that he thinks he can get away with his antics when he knows cameras are always rolling.  But if it's just how his life is... he might not think anything is out of line.  It's another reason why his sobby apology seemed forced.  "I would be heart broken if I thought you all were uncomfortable with me."  uh huh, sure Dan.  Just another day in the office. 
I thought it was funny he used his occupation to try and justify his behavior:  “I WORK WITH YOUNG WOMEN ALL THE TIME!!!”

Didn’t get a chance to read all of the recent posts, but did anyone bring up that this was a Double Episode?

Maybe they intentionally released them with the controversy in the early episode.  Anyone??

Didn’t get a chance to read all of the recent posts, but did anyone bring up that this was a Double Episode?

Maybe they intentionally released them with the controversy in the early episode.  Anyone??
Do they usually double up for the merge?  

I think in many cases the offender may think they are doing absolutely nothing wrong while the receipient feels completely uncomfortable and creeped out.  Both sides can feel this way and be completely justified in doing so.  I think there is some of this going on however Feely Dan should be smarter than that with the industry he is in and the state of the world these days. 

These situations are very hard because both sides can be right to some extent and communication is the best way to stop things from getting out of hand. 

If I was in Dan's position (assuming he told the truth about being unknowingly too touchy) I wouldn't have wanted this to just pass over.  I would want to directly ask and get information so that I could change if what I was doing was making people uncomfortable.  I wouldn't want it to fester and be problematic in any way.  Bring it out in the open so I know you are uncomfortable with what I was doing so I could do something about it.  His wanting to gloss over it was very odd to me.

If I was Janet I would be pissed and wouldn't just let it go.  I would stand up for myself calling out the others for using a very bad situation as a game play when you really didn't mean it.  I would call them out for contributing to the problem of this situation making it harder for real victims to be heard because of the false allegations and that even though this was a game that is a terrible route to go and they should be ashamed and held accountable.  She stood up to do what was right and then they backed out of it.  The swimmer even admitted she had no problem making up stuff about Feely Dan because it helped her game.  Even though this is a game I don't think that subject should be used because it is a huge part of the issue.  I would have also called out Aaron for rolling his eyes and dismissing this real world problem saying I am only upset because it backfired on me.  That was totally not Janet's demeanor and I don't know why she didn't call him out and crucify him for that. 

Sure it's a game but this is a terrible subject to lie about and use because it is so damaging in real life. 

That’s so true. Finding idols is more like trick or treating now. I still think that some get (handed out) placed for people to find. On the outs with the tribe but an important person to start interesting TV squabbles like Janet? Ooh, look and idol right there.
I think there is no question that they get handed out.  When Janet was alone on the beach at night I said that I hope she finds in idol after what she's been through.  Three minutes later, "oh hey!  I found an idol!"  But of course.  

It appears that way sometimes, but I think it's more likely another artifact of the editing.  I'm sure there are plenty of squabbles we don't see, tons of idol-searching that they don't show, and more people at risk to go home than we generally think.  So when someone finds an idol, it's easy for editors to go back and find a way to make that person seem more in danger than they otherwise would.

The hanging note, "too good to be true" lesson was messed up, but pretty funny if Karishma was right saying that she saw it first, but Jamal grabbed it. (They don't actually show who saw it first, just have her voice saying, "what's that?" while showing the note before Jamal takes it.)

Also, my son had me cracking up with that lesson.  So Jamal grabs the note, goes to the island, is told to open it and finds out he lost a vote.  Rob tells him his lesson is in the art of sabotage. Then they hand him another piece of paper and tell him to open it.

He doesn't question them, starts opening it, and my son says, "You didn't learn anything. You just lost another vote. That's sabotage."

Statorama said:
It's like when someone starts off a story by saying "Look, I'm not racist or anything but....." Get ready for lots and lots of racism
Is it racism when blacks and Indians hate each other?

Love this new twist, wish they keep it for every season or most of the future seasons... but how about this goes down as they merge???

Missy is so full of herself.. wonder why she didn't mention to Jeff that this must be the first time two African-American people got voted out?

Krishna is useless which brings me to my next point of has a lawyer ever done well on Survivor?  I recall some lawyer made it to the final 3 recently but didn't win.  They just do not know when to shut up.

Users who are viewing this thread