What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 42: Starts Wednesday March 9, 2022 (2 Viewers)

He did not have an exemption. Like Tony indicated, dynamics change, especially given that they merged. 
Also Sandra's gone and Tyson was her target mostly IIRC

Occurs to me, generally speaking the old schoolers played sloppy, especially Sandra and Rob by disrespecting their opponents.. maybe coming off a season where they're tutoring a bunch of noobs put them in that mindset?

Still Rob could win thanks to extinction, which is awful

Every time they do the pole-grip challenge (and several others like it or that also include high structures), I worry for the contestants a bit. It's like the producers have never considered the risk that someone might fall awkwardly off the top of the thing. Already once in Survivor Australia a structure collapsed under the weight of a contestant and he fell through and broke his ankle. I'm sure some season, something worse will happen. I know it doesn't--because it'd make the news before the premiere if a guy died in a challenge--but, some year, it is going to happen. They're going to kill someone in a fall, and they're being stupid about it.

That said, Adam is a whiny b#### and I'm sick of him.

Yeah, that definitely was too high for them to be guaranteed to fall safely. They should just do that challenge in the water if its an option

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time they do the pole-grip challenge (and several others like it or that also include high structures), I worry for the contestants a bit. It's like the producers have never considered the risk that someone might fall awkwardly off the top of the thing. Already once in Survivor Australia a structure collapsed under the weight of a contestant and he fell through and broke his ankle. I'm sure some season, something worse will happen. I know it doesn't--because it'd make the news before the premiere if a guy died in a challenge--but, some year, it is going to happen. They're going to kill someone in a fall, and they're being stupid about it.

I can't remember his season very well.  Can't believe he swept the jury vote.  I do remember Hannah but not the Ken guy he beat out

I was stoned a lot that year

Back to the Extinction players, how many tokens were played and who still has tokens at this point?
I know some didn't even have enough (like Ethan).....so they would have more than someone like Rob at this point

not to mention it was rainy and the poles were wet. I could see someone trying to fix their grip, lose balance, and topple off onto their head.

that one poor chick looked like a crash test dummy when she hit the ground. surprised she didn't blow out a knee or hip.

Its been 20 years and it hasnt happened. Its quite a stretch to say it is going to happen. Even further to suggest someone will die. 

Back to the Extinction players, how many tokens were played and who still has tokens at this point?
I know some didn't even have enough (like Ethan).....so they would have more than someone like Rob at this point
Nobody on Extinction has any tokens left

Here is how many they had before the challenge:

Tyson (1)

Rob (4),  - 1 from Amber

Natalie (4)

Ethan (1)

Danni (1)

They all used 1 token for an advantage in the challenge.  They could use up to 3 for 3 advantages in the challenge, Rob and Natalie both chose to only use 1 and then used 3 to buy an Immunity Idol if they re-entered the game.  Since they didn't win the Immunity is gone as well as the tokens.

The one who got screwed was Yul.  No chance to win any token on EoE.

Probst Interview

Some good quotes

The Edge of Extinction has a no layaway and no return policy. You must have the dough to buy what you want… and once you buy it, you cannot return it… and once the challenge is over, any power in any of the items is gone. They are starting from square one.
And word on the street is the Edge is controversial! What?! So we’ll probably give it a rest for a while!

Agree with everyone about edge should be one and done chances of getting back in. 

Tyson did well to get back in but there are way too many people left and his chances of sticking are still low.  The real advantage (SEE: ROB) is when they do the other challenge or find enough tokens, or whatever on edge to get back in the game when there are only 4 or 5 people left.  

Just doesn't seem fair and, IIRC, that is what happened during the first season they used edge of extinction.  Someone got back in late and ended up winning?  

Jayrok said:
Agree with everyone about edge should be one and done chances of getting back in. 

Tyson did well to get back in but there are way too many people left and his chances of sticking are still low.  The real advantage (SEE: ROB) is when they do the other challenge or find enough tokens, or whatever on edge to get back in the game when there are only 4 or 5 people left.  

Just doesn't seem fair and, IIRC, that is what happened during the first season they used edge of extinction.  Someone got back in late and ended up winning?  
It's the jury's friend vs the people who voted the jury out!  Dumb

Denise is strong.  But her explanation of how she tricked Sandra raised all the eyebrows left in the game.   Not much she could do there though as she was put on the spot.

Walking Boot said:
Darn, I really wanted to see Sandra at the top of a pole grip challenge.

(Crash!)

That would have been fun.

Denise is strong.  But her explanation of how she tricked Sandra raised all the eyebrows left in the game.   Not much she could do there though as she was put on the spot.
But she made the same mistake Yul made; appearing to be too smart and strategic. She could have said, "Sandra sold me her idol, and I used it against her". Instead she revealed she had a second idol and used it on Jeremy. People just can't seem to keep information to themselves. 

But she made the same mistake Yul made; appearing to be too smart and strategic. She could have said, "Sandra sold me her idol, and I used it against her". Instead she revealed she had a second idol and used it on Jeremy. People just can't seem to keep information to themselves. 
How/why would she keep that information to herself?  There are others there that saw what she did.

Yeah they get too concerned with “instant street cred” and “look at me” and they forget to just lay low for awhile at the moment....if you can make it to the end....then you can drop the bombs if needed...revealing your “resume” early doesn’t seem to have a ton of benefits...that wasn’t necessarily the case here....because sing two idols was out there....but in general people are too willing to say look at me...

Walking Boot said:
It's happened in Survivor Australia that a guy broke his ankle thanks to the producers not preparing the challenge structure for the actual players use. There are only a couple of challenges a season from that high and not over water, so it's not like "20 years" meaning every day. There have been multiple fatal heart attacks and a guy drowned and died in a challenge where they had to swim with weighted bags in a foreign version. So people do die playing this game and the producers, to my mind, are not taking adequate precautions. As a TV industry person myself, I would not continue challenges like that if I was a producer on this show.
Yea some of the challenges in Australian survivor remind me of torture techniques used on POWs. 

Still can’t believe she used her idol on Jeremy. She had 0 relationship with him and she wasted what would be a huge advantage now. Even if it didn’t work, she would have surprised them with the idol the next time.

Since they insist on using EoE and allowing people to re-enter the game, they should treat it for what it is... a double elimination game.  EoE is the loser's bracket.  But instead of sitting on a beach waiting for a single challenge to win to get back in, they should be competing and voting to stay on the EoE beach.  Maybe not voting. 

Could have an immunity challenge and then some type of tribal where someone leaves the game for good.  Instead of alliances voting at a TC, maybe they can have challenges where the last person to finish (or last two) is eliminated from the game.  Immunity challenge is fire making for instance.  Last person to burn through the string is gone.  Those remaining do another challenge a day or two later for another elimination, and so on.  Start these challenges when there are 4 or 5 people on EoE.  

Last person standing on EoE gets to re-enter the game when there are 5 or 6 contestants left, then single elimination at each TC.  Or something. Just get rid of EoE. 

Still can’t believe she used her idol on Jeremy. She had 0 relationship with him and she wasted what would be a huge advantage now. Even if it didn’t work, she would have surprised them with the idol the next time.
I wouldnt say she had zero relationship with him, but yes, it wasnt a strong one. I'd guess she did it because her goal was to get Sandra out and its hard to believe that even though Sandra knew she had an idol, the others all still voted for Denise....including Sandra.  

Also, on top of all the awfulness that EoE brings to the game, they all still are on the jury. Someone voted out day 1 is going to decide this season. Danni and her bedazzled Chiefs knockoff jersey shirt is going to decide this thing. Someone who hasn't said a word in six episodes. 
That's awful.  They usually have, what, 9 or 10 jurors in a season?  This season there will be 13/14?  They need to trim down the folks on EoE to get back down to the regular number of jurors at the end.  

By sheer dumb luck, its never happened, but....why do they bring 3 people to the finals? Its clear that someday they could easily have a tie vote. Then what? 

By sheer dumb luck, its never happened, but....why do they bring 3 people to the finals? Its clear that someday they could easily have a tie vote. Then what? 
Did you miss the season Wendel won? The person who finished 3rd voted to break the tie.

I wouldnt say she had zero relationship with him, but yes, it wasnt a strong one. I'd guess she did it because her goal was to get Sandra out and its hard to believe that even though Sandra knew she had an idol, the others all still voted for Denise....including Sandra.  
She pretty much had zero relationship with him. He was shocked that she used it on him and they never talked. I know there are edits but I don’t even recall seeing them talk after the merge. She had to know Jeremy was voting for her. I think she was so worried about splitting the vote and not getting Sandra off that she didn’t think about being able to use her idol to blindside Sandra again if she wasn’t voted off that night.

Sandra didn’t tell anyone. Her plan was to get Denise as an ally and get fire tokens because she didn’t care if Denise or Tony went home.

Sandra also didn’t know about Denise’s own idol, just the one she gave her. Sandra miscalculated that Denise would even think about voting for her. She figured if she saved her, Denise would be grateful.

Did you miss the season Wendel won? The person who finished 3rd voted to break the tie.
However, this season where it seems like anyone that does not quit on EoE will be on the jury, you could have 3 people in the finals with 15 on the jury and a 5-5-5 tie...

I thought that was a surprisingly insightful comment from Tony.
Yeah, every once in a while, he shows that he's smarter than he often comes off.  Like a little bit earlier, when the guys were walking on the beach talking about the big threats vs less threatening players, he switched their wording to "low profile."  I mean, everybody knows what they really mean by big threats, but it's smart for his own game to hammer home that everybody is a big threat.  Calling low profile players non-threats just helps their game.

Glad Wendell got blindsided but would've been happy with Adam too.

Surprised that Tyson was breaking down and thinking about quitting but glad he didn't- he cracks me up.

Agree with the above that if they keep EoE they need to have immunity challenges there.

I like the idea of elimination challenges at EoE, mostly because it gives strong challenge players to build a resume (rather than just sleeping for 12 hours a day) and a chance to get back in. I hate when someone is voted out early just because they're strong. That's no fun.

Once there are a handful of people there (say 4) I think I'd set up a quick challenge where the last place finisher (or the last 2 once there's enough there) goes home and the winner is exempt from the next challenge.  And maybe you do this after every other TC.

So the game starts with 20....

4 people voted out....1 goes home from EoE (16 left in main game, 19 total)

after 6 voted out, 1 goes home (14 left in main game, 18 total)

After 8 voted out, 2 go home (12 left in main game, 16 total)

After 10 voted out, Winner of EoE challenge goes back to main game,  everyone else goes home. That leaves you with 11, an eventual  final 3 and an 8 person jury.

That seems about right to me.

I like the idea of elimination challenges at EoE, mostly because it gives strong challenge players to build a resume (rather than just sleeping for 12 hours a day) and a chance to get back in. I hate when someone is voted out early just because they're strong. That's no fun.

Once there are a handful of people there (say 4) I think I'd set up a quick challenge where the last place finisher (or the last 2 once there's enough there) goes home and the winner is exempt from the next challenge.  And maybe you do this after every other TC.

So the game starts with 20....

4 people voted out....1 goes home from EoE (16 left in main game, 19 total)

after 6 voted out, 1 goes home (14 left in main game, 18 total)

After 8 voted out, 2 go home (12 left in main game, 16 total)

After 10 voted out, Winner of EoE challenge goes back to main game,  everyone else goes home. That leaves you with 11, an eventual  final 3 and an 8 person jury.

That seems about right to me.
This is basically what Redemption Island or Blood vs Water or whatever season (I forget) was, right? Every time someone was voted out they had the arena and a challenge and if you kept winning you got to kept trying to rejoin. If you lost, you actually went home. 

This is basically what Redemption Island or Blood vs Water or whatever season (I forget) was, right? Every time someone was voted out they had the arena and a challenge and if you kept winning you got to kept trying to rejoin. If you lost, you actually went home. 
It was similar but back then there was one person waiting for the person voted out at TC.  So all the challenges were one on one and the person there just had to survive.  This way there are more than a few people in each challenge, at least until they get down to one on one.  I think it would be an improvement in the game.  

Also, on top of all the awfulness that EoE brings to the game, they all still are on the jury. Someone voted out day 1 is going to decide this season. Danni and her bedazzled Chiefs knockoff jersey shirt is going to decide this thing. Someone who hasn't said a word in six episodes. 
That's awful.  They usually have, what, 9 or 10 jurors in a season?  This season there will be 13/14?  They need to trim down the folks on EoE to get back down to the regular number of jurors at the end.  
yea,  16 jury members.. :loco:  last TC with that many. 

Your viewing experience just got better :)

This has been a great season IMO.  Even though it was cringe worthy at the end, Adam had nothing to lose by trying for the idol :lmao:  

Tribal was a huge trainwreck.  It has been really enjoyable.

Walking Boot said:
He just plays like a spaz. It's like he doesn't understand that he might lose and that it's not unfair if he does.
He truly believed that was an idol so decided to cause Chaos and then "LOOK AT ME!!!"..

oh, they looked alright and :lmao:   as you took the walk.. 

TC was a hoot.  Adam and Ben slap fighting while everyone else was walking around whispering.  Best part is when all the hustling around subsided and Adam asked if anyone wanted to tell him what's going on, they piped in crickets and just showed his face.  That was great.  

Now the folks on EoE get to hear him whine.  

I think it's a guaranteed lock that an idol will be hidden somewhere at the TC area at some point going forward.  He had nothing to lose but it was funny watching him try to pry it off Jeff's podium.  And also Jeff's face while he was doing it.  

Walking Boot said:
He just plays like a spaz. It's like he doesn't understand that he might lose and that it's not unfair if he does.
From what we saw this season, I just can't comprehend how he won before. I do think it shows how bad some players really are. Glad he's gone though, such a whiny little dude who made a ton of errors and was legitimately lucky he made it this far. I still laugh at him getting rid of Rob and then one second later realizing that he was the next to go on his tribe and only made it to the merge because they won the next two challenges. It just showed how much of a spaz he was and how dumb he is compared to what I am sure he thinks of himself. If you can't even think about what happens after your current vote, you don't deserve to be playing.

I think it's a guaranteed lock that an idol will be hidden somewhere at the TC area at some point going forward. 
I think this makes it LESS likely they ever do that now. Going forward, most players are going to be on high-alert for that as a possibility, they same as how (and we just saw in this episode with the Chinese food) anytime there's a food reward people are checking under plates and the bottoms of glasses for a HII or clue. 

Since they insist on using EoE and allowing people to re-enter the game, they should treat it for what it is... a double elimination game.  EoE is the loser's bracket.  But instead of sitting on a beach waiting for a single challenge to win to get back in, they should be competing and voting to stay on the EoE beach.  Maybe not voting. 

Could have an immunity challenge and then some type of tribal where someone leaves the game for good.  Instead of alliances voting at a TC, maybe they can have challenges where the last person to finish (or last two) is eliminated from the game.  Immunity challenge is fire making for instance.  Last person to burn through the string is gone.  Those remaining do another challenge a day or two later for another elimination, and so on.  Start these challenges when there are 4 or 5 people on EoE.  

Last person standing on EoE gets to re-enter the game when there are 5 or 6 contestants left, then single elimination at each TC.  Or something. Just get rid of EoE. 
Yes. This would make it so much better. 

Interesting info from this article

Trust. It’s a beautiful thing, isn’t it? Kinda like how you trust me to always give you the right information in our weekly Q&A. And usually I do. In fact, I’d say 99.999 percent of the time I do. Really, I do. Last week, eh, not so much. Call me quarantine stir-crazy, but I said that the idols on the Edge of Extinction are now dead. That is wrong. Dead wrong, El Probesto. They still have another “Get Back In The Game Challenge,” and if they get back in the game, their idol still works. Send me to Extinction, I deserve it.
Hate.  Another advantage for Rob. So if a player come back at 6 or 5 players left they can have immunity?  Terrible.

Also, for next week

The GREATEST LOVED ONES OF ALL TIME. Grab your tissues.
Ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread