What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IDP Free Agents/News. Judon/Church/Calais/Jefferson/ChJones/Cyprien/Timmons/Sheard/JPP/Hankins (1 Viewer)

BigSteelThrill

Footballguy
Should be a ton more playing time for edge rusher Matt Judon now. 

It was expected to happen (Raven fans were clamoring for him to be in the game at the end of the week 16 division decider vs the Steelers) after his nice rookie campaign anyway. But Elvis Dumervils departure certainly spells plenty of play time for Judon. Especially if this is also Suggs last year as it appears.

Ravens released OLB Elvis Dumervil.

Source: Steve Smith on Twitter
Mar 8 - 2:31 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Jaguars agreed to terms with SS Barry Church on a four-year contract.
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the deal is worth "more than $6 million per year." The second best safety on the market, Church reportedly received interest from a "number of teams" before landing in Jacksonville. He will replace Johnathan Cyprien as the starter next to Tashaun Gipson.

Related: Cowboys

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Mar 8 - 3:46 PM

Jahleel Addae stays with Chargers with 4 year 22 million dollar contract.

He was a top 10 points-per-game DB last year and the team has committed to him to stay in that SS role.  Very good 'win' for people who own him.

Patriots agreed to terms with CB Stephon Gilmore, formerly of the Bills, on a five-year contract.
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the deal will go through "barring any final snags" while NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the deal will "eclipse $14 million per year."

Patriots agreed to terms with CB Stephon Gilmore, formerly of the Bills, on a five-year contract.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the deal will go through "barring any final snags" while NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the deal will "eclipse $14 million per year." It is a shocking move...

Titans agreed to terms with S Johnathan Cyprien, formerly of the Jaguars.
A starter since being drafted 33rd overall in 2013, Cyprien somewhat struggled through the first three years of his career before a light came on in 2016. He was a tackling machine, and swatted away passes on the back end. Not yet 27 years old, Cyprien could see snaps at linebacker in DC **** LeBeau's oft-used dime package with FS Kevin Byard and SS Da'Norris Searcy manning the safeties.
=======================

Remove safety from the Titans  draft mocks.

Dolphins signed SS Reshad Jones to a four-year extension through 2021.
In total, it's a five-year, $60 million contract that contains $35 million guaranteed, rightfully making Jones one of the league's highest-paid safeties.

Former Panther LB AJ Klein signed to the Saints. He could be considered for MLB now with Robertson moving over to WLB.

BigSteelThrill said:
Saints re-signed DT Nick Fairley to a four-year contract.
this is a great signing for NO but also better news for Rankins owners. Rankins played really well alongside Fairley.

AJ Klein to NOS is interesting.  Is he a Mike there?  Robertson was ultra-productive early on but fizzled, and I don't follow the Saints - homers we need you.  Who has what role and where does Klein plug in?  Klein was quite productive when Kuechley was out so this could be a nice flier.

Colts signed DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard, formerly of the Patriots, to a three-year, $25.5 million contract with $12.75 guaranteed.

I have Klein and V Williams.

Rethinking my rookie draft strategy in that league which was to go LB at 1.12.

Im very happy with both of these guys right now.

I don't think I'd be altering a draft strategy for guys like that.  If Foster is there at 12 you HAVE to get him.

I don't think I'd be altering a draft strategy for guys like that.  If Foster is there at 12 you HAVE to get him.
I agree I would take him at 12. I still would.

My comment above was that I was looking at the LB position in general at that slot, but with these 2 guys in line for starting gigs in favorable spots I dont need to be that finite any more.

That said, I doubt Foster gets to 12 in most drafts. 2QB leagues maybe so, otherwise I think he goes 7-10 group depending on his landing spot.

What's going on with D'Qwell Jackson?  Free agent, indy released him but he has plenty of ball left.  Unless I'm missing something I'd love to see the Titans sign him for a couple years. 

Now reading that Minter could be MLB and Vigil SLB.  I guess we will have to wait and see what MLewis says about it. Minter is good in pass coverage so wherever he plays it should be all 3 downs.

Now reading that Minter could be MLB and Vigil SLB.  I guess we will have to wait and see what MLewis says about it. Minter is good in pass coverage so wherever he plays it should be all 3 downs.
i read something back in mid-Jan from their DC that Vigil was auditioning for the strongside. not much reason to hold onto Vigil as a result. 

related to Minter, however, is the opening created in AZ now. does Sio Moore stick around?

I think Moore was staying anyway.  ARI has 2 ILB spots to fill and Buchanon is probably going to have to spend a lot of time filling what they lost in Jefferson.  Obvious opportunity for them to draft LB early too.

Hankmoody said:
I think Moore was staying anyway.  ARI has 2 ILB spots to fill and Buchanon is probably going to have to spend a lot of time filling what they lost in Jefferson.  Obvious opportunity for them to draft LB early too.
exactly.

Just posted this in the "Stash" thread but meant it for this one. My apologies for the double post. My apologies for the double post. :D

Blurb today on MFL that Vince Williams will start. Article link, which doesn't necessarily confirm that outright, has the following:

Egan: Are the Steelers fine w/ Vince Williams taking over for Timmons or will they sign an ILB or draft one in the draft?

Ed Bouchette: They may draft one, but I think Williams will start. He's not really taking over for Timmons in a way. That would be Shazier. Although Timmons did play the buck LB spot (where Williams will play), he really was more suited to the mac, which also is Shazier's best spot.

Just curious, do you guys think Buchanon numbers will bounce back to 2015 numbers because he will be filling in for Jefferson a bit more? Maybe a position change back to safety? 

Just curious, do you guys think Buchanon numbers will bounce back to 2015 numbers because he will be filling in for Jefferson a bit more? Maybe a position change back to safety? 
It all depends on who they put around him.  Moore isn't actually signed yet and they signed Bethea, so where he even lines up is very muddy and we likely won't know until much closer to the season.  Buchanon gives them a ton of flexibility but that also potentially hurts his production because they'll use him to replace whoever is the biggest liability, not just put him where he'll make the most impact.  If they draft Reuben Foster he's a tackle vacuum and Buchanon has a ton of competition for tackles he's never had before.  If Bethea starts showing his age Buchanon could end up back at SS and now it depends on how the LB's play in front of him.  If they draft a S, say Melifonwu, Buchanon could stay at LB. 

Flying Elvis said:
Just posted this in the "Stash" thread but meant it for this one. My apologies for the double post. My apologies for the double post. :D

Blurb today on MFL that Vince Williams will start. Article link, which doesn't necessarily confirm that outright, has the following:

Egan: Are the Steelers fine w/ Vince Williams taking over for Timmons or will they sign an ILB or draft one in the draft?

Ed Bouchette: They may draft one, but I think Williams will start. He's not really taking over for Timmons in a way. That would be Shazier. Although Timmons did play the buck LB spot (where Williams will play), he really was more suited to the mac, which also is Shazier's best spot.
:yes:

Steelers play a ton of nickel with only 2 DL and 4 LB. I expect that to change to a ton of nickel with 50/50 2DL (- Hargraves) and 3DL (- Williams).

Since Vince Williams is such a strong absorber and defender in the run game his numbers are going to be rather damn big. He is the biggest ILB they have used in awhile at 250# as of last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jelani Jenkins takes over at WLB for Malcolm Smith on OAK, a tackle rich spot for years.  

In rookie/vet drafts, like I do, he makes a fine late pick.  

(Rotoworld) The Bengals want to get second-year LB Nick Vigil more snaps. Analysis: It's the second time the Bengals have talked up Vigil this offseason. Vigil had a mostly nondescript rookie year, but is expected to enter OTAs as the strong side starter. Vontaze Burfict and Kevin Minter should open the season in every-down roles.

If you need a DT in your line-up, a situation to watch (Potentially) is the Giants have moved Romeo Okwara to DT (On MFL), now if that stands and he plays even a decent amount of time at DT, I am thinking that is some good sack potential there. My leagues the DT position sucks outside of a few guys and even they aren't beasts scoring wise, but if you don't have one of those 2 or 3 guys, really anyone can fill in and get 1-2 tackles. 

Users who are viewing this thread