Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
knowledge dropper

2017 Cincinnati Bengals Thread

At least they sorta kind of planned for the Whitworth loss with drafting two tackles a couple of years ago. I hate losing Zeitler to the Browns.

We need to hit big in this year's draft.

Edited by osubuckeyeman

8 hours ago, knowledge dropper said:

If the tackles step up, they are fine.  Unfortunately, Ogbuehi looks likes a bust. 

This X1000

Might be a bad idea to trade McCarron now.  They just increased the chance of a Dalton injury immensely.

I am not one to get too negative on things.  I think about how they built winning teams and it always started in the trenches,  Every time they try to build at the skill positions or from the outside in, they fail.  They have been good when their offensive and defensive lines have dominated.  You can get by with mid-high level talent else where if you control the line of scrimmage.  This is my opinion, anyway.  its a passing driven league now, and drafting CB 3 of 5 years in the first round seems excessive to me, but I understand it.  However, that means you can't miss on guys like Ogbuehi and Fisher. 

Oh, and not having a Center worth a crap and telling everyone he is awesome doesn't help much either.  On a scale of 0 to terrifed about this year's O-line, I am definitely worried.

• Like 2

Sounds like the Bengals have one more decent FA signing in the budget and they're targeting a Linebacker. Kevin Minter would make a lot of sense as an upgrade over Maualuga at MLB on early downs.

As far as the OL, there's obviously reason for concern, but also a decent chance it all ends up working out. Ogbuehi is going to spend all offseason trying to figure out how to deal with the bull rush. If he gets that taken care of, he should be serviceable at LT. If Ogbuehi can handle things, then I think you have to feel pretty good about the right side of the line with Fisher holding down RT and Andre Smith transitioning to RG. They'll probably draft a rookie on Day 2 as well to add quality depth.

If Ogbuehi continues to struggle, things definitely get iffier. They'd have to move Fisher to LT. Andre Smith would get his old RT job back. And then they'd likely need to count on a rookie to come in and immediately start at RG. 

1 hour ago, Silver & Black said:

What's the story on Eiffert?  I haven't heard anything about him since he went on IR at the end of the year last year.  Is he scheduled to be a full go for training camp?

Yeah, sounds like back surgery went well and no worries that he'll miss any of training camp or anything.

Also, FWIW the reports have been very bullish on Gio Bernard's ACL recovery.

The Bengals.com writer has said it's one of the fastest/best recoveries the Bengals have ever had and they expect him back either Week 1 or very soon after despite suffering the injury later in the season.

5 minutes ago, Dan Hindery said:

Yeah, sounds like back surgery went well and no worries that he'll miss any of training camp or anything.

Until he gets injured again.

Can't tell if this is another ho-hum signing, or something to be hopeful for.  We have seen Harrison, Hawk, and Dansby come in and do virtually nothing in this defense.  I guess time will tell.

Rey Cut.  

With #Bengals release of Rey Maualuga, saves $3.975m in cap space.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kevin Minter signed but does that mean that they aren't interested in Reuben Foster with their first pick?

Was bummed if it was Vincent rey......

Maualuga had to go.    

I think Foster could still be in play, that's who I am hoping for

Not a bad schedule at all.  4 of 5 on the road after the bye is easily the toughest stretch, but a 4-1 start before the bye is certainly attainable. 

Intersting to have the second Thursday night game.  Those of us itching for Bengals football this year won't have to wait long for the second game.

• Like 1

Ya, I'm pretty happy about it.  We should be favored in 4 of the 5 games before the bye.  If we get out of the gates well, we should at least be in the mix for those big Steelers/Ravens games.

I think a big key will be to continue to play great at home.  That slipped a bit last year for the first time in a long time.  If we can go back to putting up 6-2,7-1 type home records, we'll be back in the playoffs.

I fear that the OLine problem is too far gone at this point to fix it.  So we will patchwork it and hope to do well other places.  For the draft, I think EDGE is where we can help ourselves.  The pass rush keeps getting worse even though Dunlap keeps getting better.  That means we need at least 1 if not 2 difference makers to add to the mix opposite of him.  That kind of player is typically someone you can find in the draft. 

WR I think is a need, but I get the feeling they don't agree.  They seemed a lot happier with Lafell and Boyd than I was. 

Fournette to the Bengals is picking up steam.  I wouldn't be that surprised, but I would definitely worry about how much he could do behind an OLine that is likely to be awful.

One way or another, I think it's trending towards a skill player if we stay put.  Howard, Fournette, Davis/Williams/Ross

Well I thought we had 3 big needs. DE, OL, and weapons for Dalton. Just the way this draft fell I don't think there was much of a fit at 9 for the other 2 needs. I would assume today's picks will be from RB/DE/OL. 

4 minutes ago, cheese said:

Well I thought we had 3 big needs. DE, OL, and weapons for Dalton. Just the way this draft fell I don't think there was much of a fit at 9 for the other 2 needs. I would assume today's picks will be from RB/DE/OL. 

People still trying to predict the draft, eh?

Yesterday’s comeback saved them from going 0-6 without Burfict. The Steelers game we blew after the injury was another loss. Between suspensions and concussions we need to figure this out and keep him on the field. Adding depth so losing plan A doesn’t make us horrible would also be nice. 

• Like 1

Booming thread.

Great job knocking the Lions out last week and pulling off the miracle for the Bills fans. Best thing that happened in the NFL yesterday.

• Like 2

I like the Austin hire.  This will be the most talented group he has had to coach and he is a disciplinarian.

Here's hoping he does good.

-QG

3 hours ago, QuizGuy66 said:

I like the Austin hire.  This will be the most talented group he has had to coach and he is a disciplinarian.

-QG

I do too.  One thing in particular that I like about his defense is the turnovers created.   Personnel can obviously have an influence on that statistic, but it can also provide some hope for an aggressive approach.   

3 hours ago, QuizGuy66 said:

-QG

This could have been a lot worse.    I'm actually surprised they were able to get Austin

On 1/8/2018 at 11:06 PM, domvin said:

This could have been a lot worse.    I'm actually surprised they were able to get Austin

Marvin has had a knack with his coordinator hires over the years for the most part.

-QG

So mock drafts are out in full force.....Bills have the 21 and 22nd pick.    Makes so much sense for the Bengals to trade their 12 for those picks.    Surely a qb will drop to 12, a nice draft day trade that the Bengals won't do

ya nevah know - that kind of price may work if it fits with their draft board.  If we do that though we will probably have 12  picks - hard to see 12 draft choices sticking.

More dismayed that they are still in love with Bodine :(

-QG

Stoked about this Bobby Hart signing.  Have the 5th worst tackle in the league is a big improvement for us.

-QG

Welp McCarron is free.  Down to getting a comp pick for him.  I feel like most of twitter is overstating his market.  I think the outside is a Glennon type deal of say 3 years/$45m which is still too much for what he really is.  Andy has too many years left on a very team-friendly deal so I don't see us spending more than a 5th rounder on a new backup and maybe not even that if Driskell is healthy enough.

All the usual suspects like Bills, Jets Broncos being thrown around but if there is really still problems with Luck's shoulder I have a feeling that the Colts might be the team.

-QG

Maybe the Redskins should have waited.  I could see a lot of teams being interested. Teams to far back in the draft to get one of the rookies would be my guess. Arizona comes to mind being at 15 the cost of assets would be more than what should be done to come up to get a QB. I think they could get McCarron a lot cheaper than Cousins and with their cap situation as it is this makes sense. I could see the Jets making a play for AJ. Cold weather QB that has a sample size good enough to show he can play in New York and once again should be a heck of a lot cheaper. Cleveland could also figure in the McCarron sweepstakes. They already tried to trade for him and the connection to Hue is self-evident. I'll go with he ends up in Arizona or Buffalo. The Bills could be in the mix with 2 late first round picks they could sign McCarron and get 2 other starters with their first round picks. Trying to come up would be expensive for them as well.

1 hour ago, QuizGuy66 said:

side note - think we sign a cheap vet instead of drafting a guy?  

-QG

I don't see us drafting one unless it's really late. I could see maybe Chad Henne or Gino Smith being a Bengal. Love to get Matt Moore but  I don't believe he would sign with us. 

I'm so mad at the Bengals right now. Makes me sick that we let Zeitler and Whitworth go and then followed it up with John Ross with the 9th pick in 2017. I still can't believe we did that. No offense to Andy but if Ross could get on the field Andy can't get him the damn ball on the deep routes. The McCarron debacle with the Browns was embarrassing. We need a real GM with a real scouting department and we need to start flipping the roster. Let's not forget letting go of Lewis to just resign him later. I feel like if we could have gotten Hue or Jay then Marvin would be gone. Since there was no way to get either we signed Marvin for another 2 years. :bag:

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:16 PM, osubuckeyeman said:

The McCarron debacle with the Browns was embarrassing.

Why was that embarrassing for the Bengals? They got a great deal from the Browns, and it was the Browns that dropped the ball on getting the paperwork in.

6 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Why was that embarrassing for the Bengals? They got a great deal from the Browns, and it was the Browns that dropped the ball on getting the paperwork in.

The deal should never have been done so late. The Bengals could have and should have traded McCarron way before the 11th hour whether to the Browns or someone else they knew there was a chance they were going to lose him in arbitration. It was irresponsible of management to leave the situation in the hands of the Cleveland Browns.  

• Like 2

:shock: Bengals make a competent trade?!?  Cannot process this.

Seriously this is a great win/win trade for us and the Bills.

-QG

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, QuizGuy66 said:

-QG

Agreed. Good trade for both teams. I hope Glenn can get his feet healthy because he is a good dude and a beast when fully healthy.

On 1/28/2018 at 11:44 AM, domvin said:

So mock drafts are out in full force.....Bills have the 21 and 22nd pick.    Makes so much sense for the Bengals to trade their 12 for those picks.    Surely a qb will drop to 12, a nice draft day trade that the Bengals won't do

Well. We got the bills in a trade but I don't like the compensation

15 hours ago, QuizGuy66 said:

-QG

I like this move and quite really I'm kind of shocked. As long as he will be healthy he can plug right in and be better than anyone we could have gotten at 12. The Bengals can get still get a difference maker at 21. Get a 5th and trade a 6th. Via the trade chart I heard it's like giving up a 2nd for Glenn. A solid deal.

5 hours ago, King of the Jungle said:

I thought oline was a weakness? Addition by subtraction?

:yes:

-QG