What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Cincinnati Bengals Thread (1 Viewer)

If the tackles step up, they are fine.  Unfortunately, Ogbuehi looks likes a bust. 
This X1000

Might be a bad idea to trade McCarron now.  They just increased the chance of a Dalton injury immensely.

I am not one to get too negative on things.  I think about how they built winning teams and it always started in the trenches,  Every time they try to build at the skill positions or from the outside in, they fail.  They have been good when their offensive and defensive lines have dominated.  You can get by with mid-high level talent else where if you control the line of scrimmage.  This is my opinion, anyway.  its a passing driven league now, and drafting CB 3 of 5 years in the first round seems excessive to me, but I understand it.  However, that means you can't miss on guys like Ogbuehi and Fisher. 

Oh, and not having a Center worth a crap and telling everyone he is awesome doesn't help much either.  On a scale of 0 to terrifed about this year's O-line, I am definitely worried.

Sounds like the Bengals have one more decent FA signing in the budget and they're targeting a Linebacker. Kevin Minter would make a lot of sense as an upgrade over Maualuga at MLB on early downs.

As far as the OL, there's obviously reason for concern, but also a decent chance it all ends up working out. Ogbuehi is going to spend all offseason trying to figure out how to deal with the bull rush. If he gets that taken care of, he should be serviceable at LT. If Ogbuehi can handle things, then I think you have to feel pretty good about the right side of the line with Fisher holding down RT and Andre Smith transitioning to RG. They'll probably draft a rookie on Day 2 as well to add quality depth.

If Ogbuehi continues to struggle, things definitely get iffier. They'd have to move Fisher to LT. Andre Smith would get his old RT job back. And then they'd likely need to count on a rookie to come in and immediately start at RG. 

What's the story on Eiffert?  I haven't heard anything about him since he went on IR at the end of the year last year.  Is he scheduled to be a full go for training camp?

What's the story on Eiffert?  I haven't heard anything about him since he went on IR at the end of the year last year.  Is he scheduled to be a full go for training camp?
Yeah, sounds like back surgery went well and no worries that he'll miss any of training camp or anything.

Also, FWIW the reports have been very bullish on Gio Bernard's ACL recovery.

The Bengals.com writer has said it's one of the fastest/best recoveries the Bengals have ever had and they expect him back either Week 1 or very soon after despite suffering the injury later in the season.

Can't tell if this is another ho-hum signing, or something to be hopeful for.  We have seen Harrison, Hawk, and Dansby come in and do virtually nothing in this defense.  I guess time will tell.

Was bummed if it was Vincent rey......

Maualuga had to go.    

I think Foster could still be in play, that's who I am hoping for

Not a bad schedule at all.  4 of 5 on the road after the bye is easily the toughest stretch, but a 4-1 start before the bye is certainly attainable. 

Intersting to have the second Thursday night game.  Those of us itching for Bengals football this year won't have to wait long for the second game.

Ya, I'm pretty happy about it.  We should be favored in 4 of the 5 games before the bye.  If we get out of the gates well, we should at least be in the mix for those big Steelers/Ravens games.

I think a big key will be to continue to play great at home.  That slipped a bit last year for the first time in a long time.  If we can go back to putting up 6-2,7-1 type home records, we'll be back in the playoffs.

I fear that the OLine problem is too far gone at this point to fix it.  So we will patchwork it and hope to do well other places.  For the draft, I think EDGE is where we can help ourselves.  The pass rush keeps getting worse even though Dunlap keeps getting better.  That means we need at least 1 if not 2 difference makers to add to the mix opposite of him.  That kind of player is typically someone you can find in the draft. 

WR I think is a need, but I get the feeling they don't agree.  They seemed a lot happier with Lafell and Boyd than I was. 

Fournette to the Bengals is picking up steam.  I wouldn't be that surprised, but I would definitely worry about how much he could do behind an OLine that is likely to be awful.

One way or another, I think it's trending towards a skill player if we stay put.  Howard, Fournette, Davis/Williams/Ross

Well I thought we had 3 big needs. DE, OL, and weapons for Dalton. Just the way this draft fell I don't think there was much of a fit at 9 for the other 2 needs. I would assume today's picks will be from RB/DE/OL. 

Well I thought we had 3 big needs. DE, OL, and weapons for Dalton. Just the way this draft fell I don't think there was much of a fit at 9 for the other 2 needs. I would assume today's picks will be from RB/DE/OL. 
People still trying to predict the draft, eh?

Yesterday’s comeback saved them from going 0-6 without Burfict. The Steelers game we blew after the injury was another loss. Between suspensions and concussions we need to figure this out and keep him on the field. Adding depth so losing plan A doesn’t make us horrible would also be nice. 

I like the Austin hire.  This will be the most talented group he has had to coach and he is a disciplinarian.

Here's hoping he does good.

-QG

I like the Austin hire.  This will be the most talented group he has had to coach and he is a disciplinarian.

-QG
I do too.  One thing in particular that I like about his defense is the turnovers created.   Personnel can obviously have an influence on that statistic, but it can also provide some hope for an aggressive approach.   

-QG
This could have been a lot worse.    I'm actually surprised they were able to get Austin

So mock drafts are out in full force.....Bills have the 21 and 22nd pick.    Makes so much sense for the Bengals to trade their 12 for those picks.    Surely a qb will drop to 12, a nice draft day trade that the Bengals won't do

ya nevah know - that kind of price may work if it fits with their draft board.  If we do that though we will probably have 12  picks - hard to see 12 draft choices sticking.

More dismayed that they are still in love with Bodine :(

-QG

Stoked about this Bobby Hart signing.  Have the 5th worst tackle in the league is a big improvement for us.

-QG

Welp McCarron is free.  Down to getting a comp pick for him.  I feel like most of twitter is overstating his market.  I think the outside is a Glennon type deal of say 3 years/$45m which is still too much for what he really is.  Andy has too many years left on a very team-friendly deal so I don't see us spending more than a 5th rounder on a new backup and maybe not even that if Driskell is healthy enough.

All the usual suspects like Bills, Jets Broncos being thrown around but if there is really still problems with Luck's shoulder I have a feeling that the Colts might be the team.

-QG

:shock:  Bengals make a competent trade?!?  Cannot process this.

Seriously this is a great win/win trade for us and the Bills.

-QG
Agreed. Good trade for both teams. I hope Glenn can get his feet healthy because he is a good dude and a beast when fully healthy.

So mock drafts are out in full force.....Bills have the 21 and 22nd pick.    Makes so much sense for the Bengals to trade their 12 for those picks.    Surely a qb will drop to 12, a nice draft day trade that the Bengals won't do
Well. We got the bills in a trade but I don't like the compensation

Fun to ponder if Jackson drops could the Bengals possible offer a package to the Eagles to trade up to 32 and get him?

Say the 46 and their first 3rd round (with like a 5th rounder coming back the other way to us to make the pick math work)

-QG

Matt Waldman commented that Dalton is as good as his Offensive Line allows him to be...and if the O-Line improves significantly and the skill position players stay healthy, he statistically post starter-worthy #'s this upcoming Season...

...given that the Bengals added Cordy Glenn and drafted Billy Price, and apparently OC Bill Lazor is revamping the playbook, how bright is Dalton's future, both short and long term?

Appreciate any insight, Bengalsguys...

Sorry didn't see this :bag:

I feel like it is definitely a crossroads year for Dalton.  The line definitely has improved (though Price is a rookie I anticipate that he won't end up in Dalton's lap every single play like Russell Bodine did.

I also think that the change at OL coach will be a big boon.  Alexander just was not developing lineman and after 20+ years it was definitely time to go (he ended up in Dallas so it'll be interesting to see how this "trade" works out).  With it comes a change in blocking scheme (Pollack's styel) from the power blocking style advocated by Alexander.  Obviously the talent we have on the line isn't the same level that Pollack had to work with in Dallas, but personally I think it's going to mean good things for Joe Mixon.  The big question now is the right side of the line - frankly a couple of guys got a chance late in the year (like Westerman) and did well - basically both RG and RT look to be competitions (Jake Fisher seems to be the favorite for RT - the only thing I can say about him is that he is better than Ogbuehi (who Glenn is supplanting at LT and who has been thrown into the RT competition with Fisher).  Ogbuehi is the worst tackle I've seen without the last name Flowers.

Other than Mark Walton who they drafted in round 4 (who I think we'll end up in a limited role this year behind Gio and Mixon - though many reviewers liked the pick) they didn't pick up any new weapons for Dalton this year.  The keys at the skill positions will be Eifert staying healthy for once and one of the young receivers stepping up (Ross's rookie year was an utter disaster - he has been working in the offseason with TJ Houshmandzadeh).  Hopefully there will be less insane stubborn decisions (like how they had Hill be the "starter" - which basically meant running him into the line the first 2 plays of each half and then doing nothing else - I wish him luck in NE but he won't be missed.)

A lot of NFL types are down on the Bengals (they are one of the three longest shots on the board according to some oddsmakers which I personally think is crazy).

I am more optimistic than most about this year.  I really think Dalton having at least a little time in the pocket will work wonders.  Lazor getting a whole offseason to really put together his own playbook ought to be a plus (I'm not quite sure about him - Zampese was such a dumpster fire that anyone would look better by comparison).  For better or worse they extended Marvin for two years.  Right now Dalton has 3 years left on his deal at what is in the current market a bargain basement price (which is interesting since the Bengals got absolutely murdered for that extension when it was signed).  This would seem to be a positive in him being the guy for next 3 years.  However once this year is over they can cut Dalton with ZERO dead money against the cap. 

When you add it all up it gets back to what I said at the top - it's a crossroads season.  By the shape of things I'd be stunned if he isn't the starter for the next 2 seasons (even if the bottom falls out this year).  But if the Bengals finally once and for all move on from Marvin it probably will mean they move on from Dalton too and will have a draft pick that is high enough to make that move.

He's like a pull tab QB at this point - an okay #2 in redraft.  In terms of dynasty type scenarios I think he's a speculative play.

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread