What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What do you think is wrong with college education? (1 Viewer)

Do you think it gives students the best four years of studying?
Too much of it is through overpriced #####y schools and not enough of it is through good schools that cost a reasonable price. 

Also, what is "the best four years of studying" supposed to be?

Took you guys 4 years? :coffee:

Just kidding. Not sure how to answer the "best years of studying" question. I will say my degree has lead to me having a good job/living but I consider the things I learned outside the classroom to be the most valuable parts of my college education/experience.

Was discussing higher education with my FIL last weekend. Got to talking about how much someone can spend on certain degrees these days and really have no realistic hope of parlaying the degree into a financially successful career. Questioned whether some really expensive/elite schools should be offering degree programs that have little to no career prospects. Guess the question that needs to be answered is is it the job of a college/university to educate or prepare someone for a job? A good school does both and (usually) the more you learn the better your prospects. Cant overlook the fact that someone can come out of school 6 figures in the hole with a degree that wont help them much more than their HS diploma, though.  

Last edited by a moderator:
College has passed religion as America's #1 social branding system and that is the only reason it is allowed to refrain from entering the cyber age and cost at least 5x more than it should.

A lot of the majors are useless/impractical for real life jobs. 

Agree, and if they are practical they don't need to be taught at the University level.  EG:  Exercise Science.  Why do you need a University degree to be a trainer?

A lot more people go to college than is really necessary.  Not everyone should go to college.  To compound that we have these for-profit private colleges that accept anyone, cost a lot, and deliver worthless degrees.

A lot more people go to college than is really necessary.  Not everyone should go to college.  To compound that we have these for-profit private colleges that accept anyone, cost a lot, and deliver worthless degrees.
While I agree with you whole-heartedly on this, I find this a bit hypocritical coming from the same team that demeans and insults anyone without a college degree as "uneducated" and "rednecks".

But, yeah, you are right that not everyone should go to college.

Sadly, employers more often than not require a college degree even when it makes little practical sense. 

Combo of a lot of things, IMO.  A lot have been mentioned:

1.  Way too expensive/can't get out of the loans. 

Just nuts that people are dropping 100K on an education that just provides a base education for a 40-50K starting job.  Takes so long to get out from under the cloud of the loan.  If I remember right, I think the UW's tutition has gone up around 15x since I was there 20 years ago.  No way wages can keep up with that. 

2.  A lot of worthless degrees that don't translate. 

3.  I think we push the 'go to college' route too young.  So many people I know changed majors, careers, dropped out, etc.  So hard to know and pick what you want to do for the rest of your life at 18 years old.  ... and while you figure it out - see #1. 

4.  Piggybacking on #3, there are too many people going to college.  I think what that has done is just made the college degree worth even less and you need to go on to yet more school to make a decent wage for a lot of degrees. 

Don't get me wrong, it was some of the most fun I had in my life, but it's completely different now, mostly b/c of cost.  Not sure what I am going to suggest my kids do in 8 years when they are going to have to think about this. 

Don't have kids now, dunno if I ever will. But if I ever do, no way will I be guiding them down the college route unless they show an early aptitude in math/science.

...and cost the taxpayers tons of money with bad debt while the "students" get taken advantage of. It's criminal.

Stop federal subsidized loans that are guaranteed and college costs will come back down. 

Like anything else it can be used for a lot of good and it can be a total waste.
This. 

Some of the kids really shouldn't be in college because they just don't have their priorities straight. 

Others actually do apply themselves and come away successful. 

The price should be free for public institutions.

I don't think 2 year degrees should exist because I would like to know that my mechanic/electrician/CNA to have read some philosophy, history, and college level calculus.  I think everyone should be educated to a greater degree than what a high school provides.

I also think one the things that is wrong is the student.  I think all HS graduates should spend 1-2 years serving their country prior to university.

Required classes that have nothing to do with your major or minor field of study. Such as liberl arts classes for a science major.

For-profit college education is a problem.  The overall cost is ridiculous now, but it is a necessary evil in our society.  I am pro trade schools, wish they held more cache because there is a lot of pluses for the economy and society as a whole with them in play.  The world needs ditch diggers too, not everyone is a brain surgeon. 

In engineering, the faculty is too focused on reseach.  Classes are too math-based and not practical enough (semester-long class about tuning PID loops starts every problem with "The response is modeled as f(x)=blahblah" when nobody outside of a classroom has seen a response expressed as a formula).  Also, there's too much of a focus on how to create something and not enough about how to use existing things to build something new - they teach you how to design a transformer, but not the codes you have to follow when using a transformer as a component in a control enclosure.

Combo of a lot of things, IMO.  A lot have been mentioned:

1.  Way too expensive/can't get out of the loans. 

Just nuts that people are dropping 100K on an education that just provides a base education for a 40-50K starting job.  Takes so long to get out from under the cloud of the loan.  If I remember right, I think the UW's tutition has gone up around 15x since I was there 20 years ago.  No way wages can keep up with that. 

2.  A lot of worthless degrees that don't translate. 

3.  I think we push the 'go to college' route too young.  So many people I know changed majors, careers, dropped out, etc.  So hard to know and pick what you want to do for the rest of your life at 18 years old.  ... and while you figure it out - see #1. 

4.  Piggybacking on #3, there are too many people going to college.  I think what that has done is just made the college degree worth even less and you need to go on to yet more school to make a decent wage for a lot of degrees. 

Don't get me wrong, it was some of the most fun I had in my life, but it's completely different now, mostly b/c of cost.  Not sure what I am going to suggest my kids do in 8 years when they are going to have to think about this. 
So, I disagree with a lot of this.  True - kids don't have a clue what they want to do at 18.  I didn't.  Went to school to major in fire science and be a fireman, then after a couple of business classes that fire was lit and went into sales.  I still believe a college degree gives you options.  You can figure stuff later on.  Nobody can take it away from you.  Your options are a) entrepreneur b) learn a trade c) get a degree and figure stuff out.  You can say just go be an electrician or be a carpenter but that's pretty simplistic, and options are limited. The question is value - return on investment if debt is taken on. But I think overall people with college degrees will out earn those who don't have one, and the investment will pay off.  Not the case every time, but I'm glad my kids all have degrees.

Probably already mentioned, but IMO the main issue is a mix of the consumer and how schools are competing against one another.  

For students, who for a majority (I presume) want a nice campus - new facilities, nice dorms, etc. - in addition to a good education, it's easier for two competing schools for one school to point to a brand new building and say "Hey, you'll learn more from us AND you'll get to eat in this super sweet cafeteria."  For the student, it's probably more difficult to discern the educational value between to comparable schools, whereas discerning things like fancy new facilities is pretty easy.  

So, schools dump money into expensive remodels and new builds as the primary way to solicit new students, driving up the cost of tuition.  

Agree with a lot already posted. I'll add that our high schools are so poor at preparing students for college that when they arrive, the college needs to do a lot of the foundational work. For instance, I  am in math, and for students to go to college who cannot do basic algebra is ridiculous. Add to that the fact that students are often taught to just follow rules and not really think, and why are they going to college again? I guess that's my main point: high school students are all to often not really able to think, even upon graduation.

Keep in mind that universities aren't supposed to just be job training programs. Learning for the sake of learning has great value in and of itself. 

Keep in mind that universities aren't supposed to just be job training programs. Learning for the sake of learning has great value in and of itself. 
While I agree with this statement, it is not practical for the majority of college students out there to enjoy the leisure of this approach.  Instead they get bogged down with unmanageable debt in pursuit of the greater good of learning with no escape hatch on the other side of this noble pursuit.

Everyone wants to go to college because of cultural expectations that you have to go to college to be successful.  It is practical for those that know what they want to do and can use college to prepare them for that path - but I know plenty of people with Philosophy, General Studies and Business degrees (to name a few) that are working in jobs that in all truth really shouldn't require a degree but do because of cultural expectations.

I like the students who go straight through and get their masters....So tell me what your last job was like?..... huh, I have been in school...What practical experience do you have.?..what, I've been in school....Have you ever had a job?...well no...So tell me why I should hire you?....I think I would make a great VP

I like the students who go straight through and get their masters....So tell me what your last job was like?..... huh, I have been in school...What practical experience do you have.?..what, I've been in school....Have you ever had a job?...well no...So tell me why I should hire you?....I think I would make a great VP
The one additional year masters program where you take masters class in your senior year is a pretty good value.  

Stop federal subsidized loans that are guaranteed and college costs will come back down. 
Maybe but they are already capped.

THe amount of a loan from federal are now capped

Freshman - 5500 a year

Sophmore - 6000

Junior - 6500

Senior 7000

give or take.   You are not getting 100k in federal loans anymore

At least that how it worked the past 5 years shrug

THe amount of a loan from federal

Freshman - 5500 a year

Sophmore - 6000

Junior - 6500

Senior 7000

Was it ever that high?  Twenty years ago, I got 5500 in stafford and 1500 perkins and that was it.   If anything, it doesn't sound like they've been adjusting for college inflation from the numbers you listed. 

Was it ever that high?  Twenty years ago, I got 5500 in stafford and 1500 perkins and that was it.   If anything, it doesn't sound like they've been adjusting for college inflation from the numbers you listed. 
I don't remember for me - but the idea that federal loans are driving the cost of college upwards I don't agree with :shrug:

THe amount of a loan from federal are now capped

Freshman - 5500 a year

Sophmore - 6000

Junior - 6500

Senior 7000

I just walked away from a 3 year post graduate degree with 140K in loans. (I had a scholarship too, but for some stupid reason they didn't allow us to work for a full year, and unpaid internships are a thing in this field.)

It sucks. My loan payments are more than my rent.

I just walked away from a 3 year post graduate degree with 140K in loans. (I had a scholarship too, but for some stupid reason they didn't allow us to work for a full year, and unpaid internships are a thing in this field.)

It sucks. My loan payments are more than my rent.
But they weren't 140k in federal subsidized loans were they?

Yep. Unless Fedloan Servicing is lying to me.
Ah I see the difference you were in grad school

it depends on your status

Dependent Undergraduate Student

Dependent Undergraduate Student with a Parent PLUS Loan denial*

Independent Undergraduate Student

Graduate and Professional Degree Student

Career Maximum Loan Amounts

$31,000

A maximum of $23,000 may be subsidized

$57,500

$57,500

$138,500

The graduate debt limit includes Direct Loans received for undergraduate study.

I did not know that.  As my son meets the first criteria

So i guess it does play into some of it.  

Users who are viewing this thread