What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official""" Pittsburgh Pirates 2017 thread: Bouncing back? (1 Viewer)

monessen

Footballguy
If we didn't start a thread for this season yet, well, here it is.  Looking forward to good discussion.  If we did start one, I'll delete this one.

Carry on, folks!!  

The Bucs have placed Jung Ho Kang on the Restricted List, though MLB may have their own sanctions forthcoming.

monessen said:
A honda? Fred, what's up?  Is something wrong?
Hey what's up.  Glad to see you're actively posting again.  I don't believe it's a honda.  Just not a whole lot of excitement in the off-season so far.  I think the team will compete for another WC if Cole can stay healthy/effective, Taillon is a serviceable # 3 and they can get something out of some of the young guys (although I have concerns about Glasnow).  The outfield is still pretty darn good.  Bell will hopefully be an upgrade at 1st compared to the slop that we've had at that position for many years.  The rest of the infield is ok but nothing special.  

High praise from the master of the unique pitch.  Thanks!

Fred's been carrying the thread for a long time.  Time for me to get back in the game.

Hey what's up.  Glad to see you're actively posting again.  I don't believe it's a honda.  Just not a whole lot of excitement in the off-season so far.  I think the team will compete for another WC if Cole can stay healthy/effective, Taillon is a serviceable # 3 and they can get something out of some of the young guys (although I have concerns about Glasnow).  The outfield is still pretty darn good.  Bell will hopefully be an upgrade at 1st compared to the slop that we've had at that position for many years.  The rest of the infield is ok but nothing special.  
Yours is actually a more favorable viewpoint than mine. The health of this club ought to be a concern.  Except for McCutchen and Mercer---neither of whom tore it up last season---the other starting players missed chunks of time last year.  No word if Cole is 100%, and other key pitchers have an injury history.  Further, overall depth is more suspect than usual.  If this crew wins 80 games, that'd be an achievement.

Yours is actually a more favorable viewpoint than mine. The health of this club ought to be a concern.  Except for McCutchen and Mercer---neither of whom tore it up last season---the other starting players missed chunks of time last year.  No word if Cole is 100%, and other key pitchers have an injury history.  Further, overall depth is more suspect than usual.  If this crew wins 80 games, that'd be an achievement.
Yup my view is definitely optimistic and everything probably needs to break right for them to make a WC run.  The Cubs will be great but I think the Cards may finally have a down year.  

Did well in a start versus Tampa.  Baltimore?  Not so much.
Boston today?  Rather poor showing by Hutchison.  Looks grim.  May make the squad and pitch in long relief so as to prevent the Liriano trade from resembling a total fiasco.

Was Kang known to have potential issues before he came to the USA?
It may have been teams did their research on Kang, which is why the Bucs' modest bid was the winner a couple of years back.  Teams didn't want to risk a lot on the player.  He was denied a work visa to leave Korea today, so his season's in doubt.

It may have been teams did their research on Kang, which is why the Bucs' modest bid was the winner a couple of years back.  Teams didn't want to risk a lot on the player.  He was denied a work visa to leave Korea today, so his season's in doubt.
Including the posting fee, the Pirates committed $16M for Kang.  That was unprecedented for a Korean hitter.  I don't recall any recall any public discussion of personal issues but there were plenty of concerns about his leg kick and how his KBO stats would translate.

Including the posting fee, the Pirates committed $16M for Kang.  That was unprecedented for a Korean hitter.  I don't recall any recall any public discussion of personal issues but there were plenty of concerns about his leg kick and how his KBO stats would translate.
And, considering his best position may be DH, since his MLB fielding skills don't exactly inspire a lot of confidence in a pitching staff . . .  

He's a liability as a back-up shortstop, and closer to Pedro Alvarez than David Freese as a third baseman.

:blackdot:

Thanks for starting this up, mon. I'm reading some good things about Polanco out of the WBC so far. Being in the same division as the Cubs and Cards makes it tough to be optimistic when you shop at K-Mart while they shop at Tiffany's, but I think the lineup looks solid, especially if Cutch can bounce back. We're going to need someone to emerge in the rotation, though.

:blackdot:

Thanks for starting this up, mon. I'm reading some good things about Polanco out of the WBC so far. Being in the same division as the Cubs and Cards makes it tough to be optimistic when you shop at K-Mart while they shop at Tiffany's, but I think the lineup looks solid, especially if Cutch can bounce back. We're going to need someone to emerge in the rotation, though.
Am a little worried that Polanco's shoulder has flared up this early.  That's a lefty power bat sorely needed.  Yes, his performance in the WBC was encouraging.  Let's hope he stays on track.  I guess they'll bat him 5th, though clean-up wouldn't be a bad choice.

Hearing that Adam Frazier will lead off and play second with J-Hay/Freese alternating at third when Freese isn't at first-base.  Interesting.

Looks as if Frazier will play left field in Fenway with Polanco's left shoulder hurting.  Yet Polanco is going to DH.  Maybe it's left field in Fenway and the Green Monster that causes additional "stress (Hurdle's phrase)" on one's shoulder.

Anyhow, good luck to the Bucs in Boston to start this season.

Can anyone tell me why Cutch is batting 3rd?   
Hurdle is loyal to a fault. I think they've gotta give Cutch a couple weeks to see if there's any hope. I don't think there's any baseball related thing that I want to happen more than Cutch figuring it out, but I just don't think it's going to happen.

Hurdle is loyal to a fault. I think they've gotta give Cutch a couple weeks to see if there's any hope. I don't think there's any baseball related thing that I want to happen more than Cutch figuring it out, but I just don't think it's going to happen.
Yeah.  They gave him all of last year to shake out of it and it really hurt the team.  I would rather they drop him to 6 or 7 and if he starts hitting then move him up then.   

If there are no other games postponed for the next 10 days, Ivan Nova may have to pitch a series finale in New York against the Yankees.  Am not sure the Bucs want that scenario. Wouldn't be a surprise if Brault or someone is called up to pitch April 13th in Boston.

If there are no other games postponed for the next 10 days, Ivan Nova may have to pitch a series finale in New York against the Yankees.  Am not sure the Bucs want that scenario. Wouldn't be a surprise if Brault or someone is called up to pitch April 13th in Boston.
Since today's game is sold out, it will be played, irrespective of 35-degree weather and snow flurries.

Listening to the game on the radio and I can hear "Nothin But a Good Time" playing on the PA. Never change, yinzers, never change.

Slow to post about the buccos this year. I am excited for today's game though. Glasnow is a key to the season if he can throw the ball over the plate, the Pirates should have a string starting rotation and I think win 90. Big if though.

Drunken Cowboy said:
Slow to post about the buccos this year. I am excited for today's game though. Glasnow is a key to the season if he can throw the ball over the plate, the Pirates should have a string starting rotation and I think win 90. Big if though.

:oldunsure:         :scared:    

Drunken Cowboy said:
Well I guess not. Not even sure he gets another start before being sent down. That was terrible.

Coming back to win the game would help Glasnow's psyche.
Honestly I doubt it.  I agree that he needs to be sent down and next time he's brought up should be in the bullpen.  I know it's WAY too early to make a judgment on him but I'm not sure that he'll ever be a legitimate starter in this league.  He only has 2 pitches and has always had control issues.  That won't work against major league hitters.  I'm just hoping he can become a dominant reliever at some point.   :shrug:    

The season's a week old.  But there have been some fitful Pirate showings, even in victory.  Six of the runs scored versus the Braves were unearned, and we ought to be glad Atlanta was so charitable with their miscues.  Why do I have the feeling the year is going to be up & down similar to what we've already seen?

But if Taillon and Nova stay consistent, that'll be a stabilizing influence to give this squad a chance to win.  Also, having Frazier in the lineup---a left-handed bat to complement Bell & Polanco---is a good thing to break up the sameness of having righties Freese, Harrison, Cervelli, Mercer, etc., hit consecutively.

Bucs are going to use Frazier at short to spell Mercer today versus Arrieta.  Didn't know Frazier had any experience at short, and figured Hanson is on the roster for that purpose.  This bench is not a team strength, bullpen's been shaky, everyone's shown inconsistency in some capacities.  First-base has been a vast wasteland.  Must improve in many areas for this squad just to be considered decent.

Bucs are going to use Frazier at short to spell Mercer today versus Arrieta.  Didn't know Frazier had any experience at short, and figured Hanson is on the roster for that purpose.  This bench is not a team strength, bullpen's been shaky, everyone's shown inconsistency in some capacities.  First-base has been a vast wasteland.  Must improve in many areas for this squad just to be considered decent.
You can add that Glasnow is a complete disaster.  

Polanco out for a second straight day.  For a young stud with cleanup potential, it may be wishful thinking to get 140 games out of him.  His injury track record doesn't bode well.

Sweep of the Cubs ?     :loco:  
This weekend was the first time I have seen the Pirates this year. What stuck out the most was how aggressive they were on the basepaths. It seemed like they were always pushing for that extra base, and that unnerved the Cubs defense which led to bad and hurried throws (on Sunday Heyward had a brutal throw to home that opened the floodgates). 

This weekend was the first time I have seen the Pirates this year. What stuck out the most was how aggressive they were on the basepaths. It seemed like they were always pushing for that extra base, and that unnerved the Cubs defense which led to bad and hurried throws (on Sunday Heyward had a brutal throw to home that opened the floodgates). 
I hope that trend continues.  They're not as talented as the Cubs so they need to do something to gain an advantage.  

Seventy-eight pitches were all it took for Nova in a complete game loss to the Cards.  Appropriate, since the Bucs look like a 78-win team this season.

Well if there was any doubt before, this season is officially over with the Marte suspension.  Not sure if they'll bring up Meadows as it doesn't seem like he's ready.  I don't think it's a good idea to rush him in an attempt to salvage the season.  Anyone they can trade for as a stop gap?

Users who are viewing this thread