What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cooks to Pats, Fantasy Impact (1 Viewer)

dmac37

Footballguy
What does this do to fantasy values of Patriots and Saints?

Cooks- up?

Brady- up

Brees- down

Thomas- up

Edelman- down

Gronk- ?

I don't think it changes Cooks fantasy prospects too much.  I think I liked him better in the Saints offense. Probably more places for the ball to go in NE than their was in NO, and NE is unlikely to be losing many games in the 4th qtr. Helps Brady obviously. Helps Snead and MThomas. 

Cooks- 2017 no change, long term down (have to think Brees has more years remaining than Brady). Goes from 1a or 1b to 1a or 1b or 1c. Could be worse given new team and Brady's tendency to spread ball around a lot.

Brady- up

Brees- down

Thomas- up, more targets, more number 1 coverage but should be positive net effect 

Edelman- down, have to think this hurts his prospects 

Gronk - 1 more high end target to feed but Gronk will get his and I suspect this hurts Edelman and Mitchell more than Gronk

Mitchell - Ouch, too many mouths to feed

Like this

•  

Quote this 

Personally i'm interested to see thoughts on what it means for the Saints WR depth chart long term behind Thomas.

Cooks- up?

Brady- up

Brees- down

Thomas- up

Edelman- down

Gronk- ?
Cooks - Up/neutral - Can't see him getting less Targets than he did in NO. I can see the same or more but not less. The Pat's didn't trade all that for him not to use him.

Brady- Up - Another elite weapon.

Brees- Down - Loses his best WR and he's getting a little older.

Thomas- Down - He will be exposed being the focal point of defenses.

Edelman- down - Less targets

Gronk- neutral - He is still the #1 option but he gets hurt a lot........

Cooks is better than Welker and can run the patented New England bubble screen and short slant.  

I think he's going to thrive and be the primary WR but he's never been a goal line threat so Gronk is going to clean up inside the red zone. 

Cooks is better than Welker and can run the patented New England bubble screen and short slant.  

I think he's going to thrive and be the primary WR but he's never been a goal line threat so Gronk is going to clean up inside the red zone. 
Lots of targets though and Brady is still going to hit him on 3-5 long TD's........All he was missing in NO was the targets........Not saying he's going to get them in NE but it's in the range of possible outcomes that they target him heavily.......

Did Brees drop when he lost Colston or Graham?  No.  Not sure how this is different, plus Thomas is a more complete receiver and better than Cooks overall.  Plus, we still don't know what the complete offense is a this point.

brady- up, another 5000 yard plus season coming

cooks- up, like it long term if they keep him. prolly edelmans last year.

thomas- up, gonna get a ton of targets

brees- down, seems like the Saints are concentrating on their defense. less shoot outs if it improves

Cooks - Up/neutral - Can't see him getting less Targets than he did in NO. I can see the same or more but not less. The Pat's didn't trade all that for him not to use him.

Brady- Up - Another elite weapon.

Brees- Down - Loses his best WR and he's getting a little older.

Thomas- Down - He will be exposed being the focal point of defenses.

Edelman- down - Less targets

Gronk- neutral - He is still the #1 option but he gets hurt a lot........
:thumbup:  This.  They look really dumb if he is like 4th in targets and used as a Decoy like half the season.  Most of my leaguemates act like that is the case.  So in my 16 tm dyn PPR he is my WR1 (I have not much behind him.) So whoever owns Cooks in Dyn PPR I don't think you will get fair market value for him. 

:thumbup:  This.  They look really dumb if he is like 4th in targets and used as a Decoy like half the season.  Most of my leaguemates act like that is the case.  So in my 16 tm dyn PPR he is my WR1 (I have not much behind him.) So whoever owns Cooks in Dyn PPR I don't think you will get fair market value for him. 
Good teams don't use great WR like Cooks as decoys. That's what teams that miss the playoffs every year do.

I think he'll be less volatile but he will have several 3/30 weeks, followed up by the 7/`130 and 2 td games.  Just who he is.  

I think he'll be less volatile but he will have several 3/30 weeks, followed up by the 7/`130 and 2 td games.  Just who he is.  
You say he'll be less volatile and then immediately contradict that statement by implying he'll be extremely volatile. I'm just a little confused... which is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is all this Brees down coming from?  This will not affect Brees one bit, he will get his usual 4800-5000 yards, 35TD's. 

Where is all this Brees down coming from?  This will not affect Brees one bit, he will get his usual 4800-5000 yards, 35TD's. 
hmmmmm his last 5 games weren't all that great last season. Well the Arizona game was great but everybody was torching AZ through the air at that point. He's a little older plus he's losing a very important WR in Cooks. I'm not saying he's going to fall off the face of the earth but yeah he's not going to have as good of a year as he just had. That's probably a safe bet actually.

Brady has a chance to have a monster year...Gronk back, Cooks onboard, Hogan more familiar and Mitchell a year older...this offense was good last year but it has a chance to be big-time good next year...

hmmmmm his last 5 games weren't all that great last season. Well the Arizona game was great but everybody was torching AZ through the air at that point. He's a little older plus he's losing a very important WR in Cooks. I'm not saying he's going to fall off the face of the earth but yeah he's not going to have as good of a year as he just had. That's probably a safe bet actually.
I'd be more concerned that he would fall off because of aging than Cooks leaving.  In Stills' last season with the Saints, he had 63 receptions on 85 targets for 931 yards.  Ginn has averaged 49 rec for 746 yards over the last two years with Cam.  I think Ginn will fall somewhere between his average with Carolina and Stills' last season.  I'd look for whoever steps into the primary receiving RB role to pick up the rest.

From what I have seen, this probably means down for Gronk. Some are theorizing that they will play him less to increase the chance that he lasts through the season and they will use sets with more WR and less TE. At least that's the working theory. 

I see a lot of driven opinions based on how they hope it effects their fantasy team. Everyone on the Pats has taken a value hit, even Cooks, Edelman and Gronk somewhat. People think Cooks value goes up from 250 points in standard PPR? He got 78/1173/8... but that is going to go up with 37 other mouths to feed? The QB is the same level so its not like he is getting a huge extra bump. This is my problem with the fantasy community, they talk on hopes and dreams instead of reality and logic...destroys value assessment. Edelman may see fewer targets, I'm not so sure when no matter who they get, his value stays consistent in his production barring injury. His line was 98/1106/3 may be lower but not by much. I have heard for years, Edelman will take a hit... he just never does. Boston guy above didnt even mention the guy coming off of a 98 catch season in his post of all NE options. I do agree Gronk will play less to keep him healthy. Amendola will be cut, one would think.

Brees Down? Guy makes the players, the players do not make him. Graham left, how did Brees do? Colston left, how did Brees do? Bush left, how did Brees do? Guy hasnt had less than 33 total TDs since 2007. Has only thrown lower than 4600 yards once since that time and that year he threw for 4300. lol Brees takes a value hit though, huh? In my eyes, you lose any credibility on your football opinion by saying such things. Logic and reality, not hopes and dreams.

Mitchell/Hogan..............Gronk/Allen...............(OLINE)...............Edelman..............Cooks
.........................................................................Brady.....................................................
.........................................................................................................................................
......................................................Lewis/White/Unnamed RB..........................................

Snead.......................Ginn...............(OLINE)...............Fleener/OJHoward?..............Thomas
..........................................................Brees.....................................................................
.........................................................................................................................................
.........................................................Ingram....................................................................

I see a lot of driven opinions based on how they hope it effects their fantasy team. Everyone on the Pats has taken a value hit, even Cooks, Edelman and Gronk somewhat. People think Cooks value goes up from 250 points in standard PPR? He got 78/1173/8... but that is going to go up with 37 other mouths to feed? The QB is the same level so its not like he is getting a huge extra bump. This is my problem with the fantasy community, they talk on hopes and dreams instead of reality and logic...destroys value assessment. Edelman may see fewer targets, I'm not so sure when no matter who they get, his value stays consistent in his production barring injury. His line was 98/1106/3 may be lower but not by much. I have heard for years, Edelman will take a hit... he just never does. Boston guy above didnt even mention the guy coming off of a 98 catch season in his post of all NE options. I do agree Gronk will play less to keep him healthy. Amendola will be cut, one would think.

Brees Down? Guy makes the players, the players do not make him. Graham left, how did Brees do? Colston left, how did Brees do? Bush left, how did Brees do? Guy hasnt had less than 33 total TDs since 2007. Has only thrown lower than 4600 yards once since that time and that year he threw for 4300. lol Brees takes a value hit though, huh? In my eyes, you lose any credibility on your football opinion by saying such things. Logic and reality, not hopes and dreams.

Mitchell/Hogan..............Gronk/Allen...............(OLINE)...............Edelman..............Cooks
.........................................................................Brady.....................................................
......................................................Lewis/White/Unnamed RB..........................................

Snead.......................Ginn...............(OLINE)...............Fleener/OJHoward?..............Thomas
..........................................................Brees.....................................................................
.........................................................Ingram....................................................................
Dont see a lot of difference in targets between Snead, Thomas, Fleener and Mitchell, Gronk and Edelman. Former had 308 last year, latter 244. Prorate Gronk over 16 games and the Pats are still at 282. Last year of Edelmans contract and hes 31. He was the target hog last year with 158. Pats went after Cooks hard. Gotta think theyre going to revamp their offense a bit to fit him. Not gonna be hard to beat the 117 targets he got in New Orleans. 

I like Thomas, but Snead the guy with the most upside from this move. 

Thomas taking #1 CBs, Snead will be the go-to... He's actually one of the more underrated WRs in the league, imo

Snead is kinda like Josh Gordon huh?
As a Snead owner, I am now going to trade him because you said this and look into acquiring Thomas before he explodes.
Soulfly is like that bad luck guy from Bronx Tale who slips my mind right now. Probably because I was excited about Snead before I read that, now I am flustered. Ha!

I like Thomas, but Snead the guy with the most upside from this move. 

Thomas taking #1 CBs, Snead will be the go-to... He's actually one of the more underrated WRs in the league, imo
I think you're right about Snead but would not be the least bit surprised if the saints draft a receiver who takes a lot of targets.

The only thing I'm fairly confident in here is Edelman takes a hit by volume. 

What about Peterson, Charles, Lacy or Murray. They are still out there and NE needs a hammer.
If they can get value, sure.  Otherwise I think they draft their hammer later in the draft, at least a few guys who work for the pats will drop into the mid rounds, they don't need an elite talent.   Personally I'm watching Brian hill. 

If they can get value, sure.  Otherwise I think they draft their hammer later in the draft, at least a few guys who work for the pats will drop into the mid rounds, they don't need an elite talent.   Personally I'm watching Brian hill. 
You guys don't think Blount can handle the load? He looked really good last year.

Tex

Snead is kinda like Josh Gordon huh?
As a Snead owner, I am now going to trade him because you said this and look into acquiring Thomas before he explodes.
Soulfly is like that bad luck guy from Bronx Tale who slips my mind right now. Probably because I was excited about Snead before I read that, now I am flustered. Ha!
I actually have a history of great calls in respect to WRs, especially young ones/rookies.

Gordon being suspended is just gordon being suspended. Trade Snead. Your legauemate will thank you

I get it, this is the new Trump schtick people are using to validate themselves regardless of facts.
Snead is a good player, but like I said, Sneads value just took a hit because of you. lol.
Saints draft one of the Big 2 TEs I believe, if they do, Fleener will have one more year of relevance in NO.

Tex, Blount can clearly handle the load, but he has a SB and his career is almost over. He may want the money the Patriots are not willing to give.

I've mentioned this in other threads and feel the need to do so here.

As a Pats fan I love this - IF Cooks can catch on in the Pats system.  There *have* been a number of WRs brought into the system who have failed miserably.

I get it, this is the new Trump schtick people are using to validate themselves regardless of facts.
???

980 and 890/yds last 2 seasons... each with a missed game. 100+ targets each season, with cooks IN THE MIX.

Please enlighten me to which facts you're speaking of... Because the only facts I see, are 240+ targets the last 2 seasons, being part of NE now.

Soulfly, even if you did have a good track record, you were so far off on Gordon it wouldnt matter. In fact, Everyone should ignore you and everything you say on Snead just because you refused to admit your failings on Gordon to this day. I will after this post. The very first Person I ignored in over a year of being here. You say because he got suspended? lol Everyone else saw what was happening, except you. But now I should trust your eyes? Snead is a good player, I said I love him... but I truly believe you are a curse. I literally do not like him because of how bad your track record is. Sorry on a board where football discussion matters, when someone takes the schtick you have on Gordon, your opinion cant be trusted. This has nothing to do with Snead and all about your bad luck. Like how at the Horse Race in Bronx Tale, everyone had the best horse, until they saw the curse had him too... the horse lost. Real life can mirror fiction. I'm sure you are a good dude in life and a nice person, but here... your opinion is a curse to the players you speak of. Its not even that you are annoying dude by any means, its just I see you like a player and I now feel he is cursed. lol. That has to be noted so people are aware the lengths you will to go down with the ship.

People should now tread lightly with Snead. lol Please do not like OJ Howard or the TE they draft, PLEASEEE!

WheelsUp said:
Blount can clearly handle the load, but he has a SB and his career is almost over. He may want the money the Patriots are not willing to give.
How many time has Blount been a free agent? I lost count, but it's been multiple times. He never got offered much money and has never in demand. That is going to change all of a sudden? I am guessing the market will again be soft for a one trick poney that can't catch and is on the front side of 30. The Pats won't give him much money, but neither will anyone else. 

I think Cooks is up. Bill LOVES Cooks which is evident with this trade. Here's a quote from Bill on Cooks:

Patriots coach Bill Belichick offered high praise after the speedy wideout burned his defense for big plays of 45 and 36 yards in addition to a pair of 18-yard receptions on Saturday.

"I'm glad we don't have to play him twice a year and he's not in our division," Belichick said, via The Times-Picayune. "He's a really good player."

Edit: wrong timeline

It's a myth that Cooks didn't get targets in NO.  He had 117 last year, which is a lot for speedy wideout known primarily for speed and not route running.  I could see his targets being around the same or a little less in NE, but his catches, yards and TDs will probably be around what they were last year. 

If Brees drops off, it will be because of age, not because he lost Cooks.  Brees has been great his whole NO career despite never really having a stud WR.  

Assuming Father Time does not catch Brady, he should light it up again, especially since 2017 should be the best collection of weapons he has ever had (injuries permitting).  He had a deep collection of weapons in 2016, and we saw what he did in 12 games, and with a speed guy like Cooks in the mix, that only makes them more dangerous. I think Mitchell and the other WRs not named Edelman take somewhat of a hit.  It's hard to know how much Lewis and White will be utilized individually from week to week. 

Forgot about this in Aug 2015. We should've seen it coming. 

While the New Orleans Saints dropped their second preseason game to the New England Patriots 26-24, there was still plenty to take away from the game.

One thing? Brandin Cooks looks poised to do big things in 2015.

As Evan Woodbery of NOLA.com reports, Cooks received rave reviews after catching four balls for 117 yards and a touchdown. The one person who may have given the most praise was Patriots head coach Bill Belichick.

"I’m glad we don’t have to play him twice a year and he’s not in our division," Belichick told NOLA.com after the Patriots’ win. "He’s a really good player."

Obviously, having an opposing coach say something like this is impressive, but when it’s Belichick, that sort of takes it to another level.

(h/t NOLA.com)

Pats D could be up...with Cooks and Gronk in the fold the Pats O should be putting up big points meaning opposing offenses are probably gone have to force things which means the potential for more turnovers and sacks...

Cooks - Up - It's ridiculous people think he will get less targets. He will get a ton of usage to keep Gronk healthy

Brady- Up - SUPER YEAR if he can stay healthy. 

White/Lewis - UP UP 

Brees- Down -  See Before/After Randy Moss effect on Brady

Thomas- Down. He's not as good as Cooks nor will he ever be. 

Edelman- down - Absolutely less targets. I see Mitchell increasing his targets.

Gronk- Down- but he may stay healthier. I see less targets per game to keep him healthy for the playoffs- THIS IS A TOP PRIORITY FOR THE PATS. I think the TE will be significantly less targeted between the 20's this season. The End Zone targets will increase for Gronk with or without Blount. 

Pats D could be up...with Cooks and Gronk in the fold the Pats O should be putting up big points meaning opposing offenses are probably gone have to force things which means the potential for more turnovers and sacks...
Just like the Saints offense won't really change Brees' numbers as long as he's there, I don't thing the Pats offense reconfigured and added together changes much. NE always has a potent offense and plays with the lead a ton. So they went from scoring 30-odd points to scoring 30-odd points. Not much difference. People have a tendency to want to just layer on more and more production, but in reality things just get moved around and redistributed with only a slight bump. I don't think Brady's numbers go up.  Maybe they score a little faster or score earlier in games . . . I think it just means they go into clock burning mode earlier in games. Maybe a couple more TDs with Gronk back and Cooks getting behind the defense, but nothing major.

Similar to the NBA. Put 4 guys that average 25 ppg on the same team and they won't average anywhere near 100 points playing together.

Plus we are still a long way from opening day . . . who knows who will be on the Opening Day roster. If they lose Hightower and move on from Butler, the defense could be weakened. There still is a ton of free agency, the draft, more trades (as if they haven't done enough in that area already), potential cap hits, etc.

Just like the Saints offense won't really change Brees' numbers as long as he's there, I don't thing the Pats offense reconfigured and added together changes much. NE always has a potent offense and plays with the lead a ton. So they went from scoring 30-odd points to scoring 30-odd points. Not much difference. People have a tendency to want to just layer on more and more production, but in reality things just get moved around and redistributed with only a slight bump. I don't think Brady's numbers go up.  Maybe they score a little faster or score earlier in games . . . I think it just means they go into clock burning mode earlier in games. Maybe a couple more TDs with Gronk back and Cooks getting behind the defense, but nothing major.

Similar to the NBA. Put 4 guys that average 25 ppg on the same team and they won't average anywhere near 100 points playing together.

Plus we are still a long way from opening day . . . who knows who will be on the Opening Day roster. If they lose Hightower and move on from Butler, the defense could be weakened. There still is a ton of free agency, the draft, more trades (as if they haven't done enough in that area already), potential cap hits, etc.
Gonna have agree to disagree here (and I do understand your logic)...this offense (on paper) has a chance to be in that 2007 ballpark (especially if Gronk stays healthy) ...Brady has a group of weapons like he never has and I have zero doubts that BB will try to put up as many points as possible regardless of the score...also, let's remember...the whole line is intact and they have debatable the best OC in the NFL back...this offense is just loaded and they will still be adding in another piece or two...

Users who are viewing this thread