What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Footballguys for 2017 - New Stuff / Ask Questions Here (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Hi Folks,

I know several folks had questions about what we're doing for Footballguys for 2017. Let me start this thread new to try and consolidate the questions here. We'll do our best to answer but also please understand in March there are always things still being decided and there are things that aren't concrete yet.

If you've got a question, please ask it here. But let's keep it to real questions. It the main goal is to say you think FBG sucks now, or always has, save yourself time. But if you've got a legit question about FBG, ask it here and we'll do our best. If we don't know, we'll say we don't know.

Thanks.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
David Dodds: 

As Maurile hinted at, MyFBG has been a giant priority this off-season.

Before last year, we licensed software from Fantasy Pros for integration between FBG and host providers.  Their software worked great, but was also costing more and more money each year.  We were also a bit fearful that we would not be able to renew that deal into the future as Fantasy Pros was only willing to negotiate the next year ahead (all at a time we were placing more and more emphasis on this integration).  Those worst fears are being realized by other companies this year as Fantasy Pros is now not licensing this tech (and keeping it for themselves).

Last year, we bit off more than we could chew in bringing this technology in-house.  We were trying to not only replace the tech, but push the boundaries on doing a lot more with it.  As we fell behind schedule, we changed the plan midstream so that we could at least have something that worked.  It was the worst of all solutions in hindsight as it rammed two incompatible systems together and was extremely clumsy at best and didn't work at all for others.

I am not looking to sugar coat stuff. Fantasy Pros has an elegant solution and we did not in 2016.  We have made this a priority for 2017 and feel like we have already made substantial progress down this path.  We believe the 2017 version of MyFBG will be to the standard we have always strived for.

Been a subscriber for last ten years.  The my MyFBG has been beat to death so I'll ask two other questions... 

Why is the subscription up now as opposed to June or July in previous years? If I paid in July of 2014 for three years, then why as of March 1st am I no longer a subscriber?

Also, I'm considering not renewing because most of the staff doesn't update their rankings, especially in dynasty or IDP. This coupled with the MyFBG not working makes this a hard renew.  How do you respond?

David Dodds:  All of our content after the SuperBowl is free (requires a free login) until we close the doors again in July.  If that is not the case for you, email overton@footballguys.com

The site officially opens up the day after the NFL draft.  Sigmund Bloom and a few others do a few things from the SuperBowl to the NFL draft, but that is not a focus of Footballguys.  Our staff regroups during these off-months before hitting it hard again when we open the doors.  

Is there consideration, in your planning meetings, on bringing back Wisdom of the Crowds/WDIS?
David Dodds: I don't think we are going to bring this back.  The contest was liked by a selected handful of people, but the output was not viewed by many at all.  It used to be a helpful tool for me in crafting projections, but that is no longer the case either.  

Like this

Your current stance on commitment to dynasty content, rankings, etc? To set expectations.

thanks

Hi FBGs. In the past there have been many complaints about content, including timeliness. I know there are times, more often happens later in the season, where material is not released on time. This is specifically an issue when dealing with when waivers clear; some content was released hours before waivers cleared or even the following morning.

My question is maybe more of a suggestion: The subscriber content can include a lot of articles, rankings etc. Some of it is delivered through email (Blooms upgrades/downgrades, weekly rankings, etc), but some is not. Might there be an option for a subscriber to customize their e-mailed material? So perhaps if a player wants "For the Win" e-mailed to them, they can select that, or de-select the Upgrades/Downgrades from Bloom. This might help fix the issue of timeliness because it would allow someone to get an e-mail alert with their content when it is put onto the website rather than refreshing the website frantically. It would allow people to have access to material the minute it is published. 

Allowing a subscriber to customize what they see (and don't see) might be a good way to give the subscriber 100% what they want while filtering out 100% of what they don't want to see. 

I know when I subscribed it was a bit of frustration combing through the e-mails to figure out what I wanted to see, and then logging onto the website to search out the rest of what I wanted to see. Some of the paid content I did not find valuable at all, whereas some was helpful to a degree. It would have been nice to have a filtering process of some kind, especially when it came to e-mailed material. 

Thanks

Hi Joe,  Will you be able to make the rankings on the website exportable to Excel?  Especially the pre-season expert compilations.  I would like to be able to sort these in different ways.

And will you be able to front-load season content to Monday. Tuesday and Wed?  My waivers close Thursday morning, like many others so the player add content is critical Mon/Tue and Wed of the week..

Thanks!

One big change for 2017 that I think most people know about but it's worth saying here I guess is how we're splitting the paid subscription into two options.

We've always had just one premium subscription called the Insider PRO that cost $34.95 for the season. That covered all our content online. Both DFS and Regular Season.

But we heard lots of you guys say you may just play season long and not DFS. And we agreed it would be good to separate.

So for this year, we're going to have two options: 

Insider PRO that covers just season long. It will cost $29.95 for the season. (Or $24.95 for Early Bird pricing in effect now until May 31)

and the

Insider PRO Plus that will be all the season long content in the Insider PRO plus all our DFS content. That will be $45.95 for the season. (Or $35.95 for Early Bird pricing in effect now until May 31)

J

Your current stance on commitment to dynasty content, rankings, etc? To set expectations.

thanks

Hi Joey,

My expectation would be to keep our Dynasty Content essentially equal to what we did for the 2016 season. 

J

Nope.  I got locked out of the rankings last week.  I had to subscribe according to the page.  

And not to be too glib, but shouldn't you, David, be emailing your employee asking the question.  Why is the customer the one chasing down an answer that conflicts with something you just stated?

MyFBG is a huge priority for me and it seems for many others as well.  It obviously caused a big uproar last year.  In particular was the fact that it was not working and this wasn't made known until the start of the season when many were depending on it.  More importantly was the complete lack of communication on it until after the season started despite knowing it was an issue.

I know you said "we believe the 2017 version of MyFBG will be to the standard we have always strived for", but what is the expected timeline for this?  What kind of updates/communications are to be expected?  Since there are those of us that pay subscriptions primarily for this service, certainly you can understand not wanting to go through the same thing again.

Finally, and honestly speaking, last year turned off a lot of people, not only because of the poor implementation of MyFBG as well as the tardiness of lots of content, but moreso due to a significant lapse in the customer service that has been present for quite some time (i.e. weekly Random Shot getting mailed out while not responding to many complaints about poor product).  For the first time, I read LOTS of comments from posters that they wouldn't be returning.  General question, but why should people return given the direction last year went?

Nope.  I got locked out of the rankings last week.  I had to subscribe according to the page.  

And not to be too glib, but shouldn't you, David, be emailing your employee asking the question.  Why is the customer the one chasing down an answer that conflicts with something you just stated?
I can confirm that rankings are no longer available and I also agree that this should be something you guys take care of, not each of us individually, especially since this thread was started primarily for concerns such as this.

I know you said "we believe the 2017 version of MyFBG will be to the standard we have always strived for", but what is the expected timeline for this?  What kind of updates/communications are to be expected?
May I suggest potentially offering a demo version for free at some point this summer? 

thanks

We open the door up after the NFL Draft.  We aim to crush it from that day forward with articles on upcoming rookie drafts, Blooms Top 100, dynasty rankings, etc.   I would email Sigmund Bloom (bloom@footballguys.com) if you have specific requests for this content for the 2017 season. 

Hi FBGs. In the past there have been many complaints about content, including timeliness. I know there are times, more often happens later in the season, where material is not released on time. This is specifically an issue when dealing with when waivers clear; some content was released hours before waivers cleared or even the following morning.

My question is maybe more of a suggestion: The subscriber content can include a lot of articles, rankings etc. Some of it is delivered through email (Blooms upgrades/downgrades, weekly rankings, etc), but some is not. Might there be an option for a subscriber to customize their e-mailed material? So perhaps if a player wants "For the Win" e-mailed to them, they can select that, or de-select the Upgrades/Downgrades from Bloom. This might help fix the issue of timeliness because it would allow someone to get an e-mail alert with their content when it is put onto the website rather than refreshing the website frantically. It would allow people to have access to material the minute it is published. 

Allowing a subscriber to customize what they see (and don't see) might be a good way to give the subscriber 100% what they want while filtering out 100% of what they don't want to see. 

I know when I subscribed it was a bit of frustration combing through the e-mails to figure out what I wanted to see, and then logging onto the website to search out the rest of what I wanted to see. Some of the paid content I did not find valuable at all, whereas some was helpful to a degree. It would have been nice to have a filtering process of some kind, especially when it came to e-mailed material. 

Thanks

Hi Dr. Brew,

Several years ago, we had some problems with timing and getting features out on time as promised. We went to work on that changed multiple systems taking out bottlenecks in some places and adding staff in others. Like having Maurile Tremblay do early forecasts for example. Since then, I'm not aware of any features we've had trouble hitting dates on. But it's something we continue to try and improve. There's always the balance between quality and time. It would be feasibly possible to have full projections out Monday at 6 am. But they'd be terrible as so many things are unknown. We could have great projections ready for you Sunday morning at 12:30. But they'd be pretty useless if that was our first cut right before kickoff. We think we've hit the balance about right where we are. Although as people know who watch closely, the value of our early projections is sometimes something I question as things (and values) change so much during the week. But bottom line, I think what we're doing now on schedule is about right.

For the customizing emails, the answer is we don't have any options on changing how things are emailed. But I hear you on that. We are in the process of changing our email provider for how we handle sending out. I don't think it'll happen this year, but one of the things I'd love to move toward is being able to customize what emails users receive. That one is interesting too. We have lots of people who want everything we produce emailed to them. Other folks yell at us for clogging up their email box. So I hear you.

J

Hi Joey,

My expectation would be to keep our Dynasty Content essentially equal to what we did for the 2016 season. 

J
The 2016 approach of lost articles and ignored dynasty rankings was quite a deviation from past years.  In fact, I left another site years ago to come to FBG for dynasty content alone.  If last year is the new norm, it should've been communicated before last year, but I guess at least has been communicated now.

I'm not sure I understand your question.

You have to register for a free Footballguys Insider account to view the rankings. Are you saying you're registered for the free account and it's still not letting you see them? If that's the case, we definitely need to fix.

J

May I suggest potentially offering a demo version for free at some point this summer? 
I think we can support this.  It's tricky because we use Amember services as the login process to hold cloud info.  We will figure something out though that can showcase this fully at a minimum.

I think by the end of June, we will have the new myFBG completely rolled out to the site.  Some features are season-long though and we won't have week 1 projections until later than that obviously.

You have to register for a free Footballguys Insider account to view the rankings. Are you saying you're registered for the free account and it's still not letting you see them? If that's the case, we definitely need to fix.

J
I've registered for the free account.  This is what I'm seeing after the top 5 rankings:

[SIZE=140%]WANT TO SEE THE REST?[/SIZE]

The full page you are accessing is only available to our [SIZE=120%]Footballguys Insider PRO subscribers.[/SIZE]

In addition to this page, we'll publish about 50,000 more pages of content this season that are just for our Footballguys Insider PROs. It's the ultimate edge to help you WIN YOUR LEAGUE.

[SIZE=120%]ESPN's Matthew Berry says, "Footballguys Insider PRO is the best premium Football only site on the planet."[/SIZE] We agree. To see more reasons why the Insider PRO is your ticket to the championship, click HERE.

Registration is simple and in seconds you'll be reading this article plus all the other Footballguys content available only to our Insider PROs. If you're uncertain about your current subscription status, click HERE.

Plus we have a [SIZE=120%]MONEY BACK GUARANTEE[/SIZE] so there's nothing to lose.

[SIZE=120%]SIGN UP NOW[/SIZE] and let's [SIZE=120%]WIN YOUR LEAGUE.[/SIZE]

I've registered for the free account.  This is what I'm seeing after the top 5 rankings:

The full page you are accessing is only available to our [SIZE=120%]Footballguys Insider PRO subscribers.[/SIZE]

In addition to this page, we'll publish about 50,000 more pages of content this season that are just for our Footballguys Insider PROs. It's the ultimate edge to help you WIN YOUR LEAGUE.

[SIZE=120%]ESPN's Matthew Berry says, "Footballguys Insider PRO is the best premium Football only site on the planet."[/SIZE] We agree. To see more reasons why the Insider PRO is your ticket to the championship, click HERE.

Registration is simple and in seconds you'll be reading this article plus all the other Footballguys content available only to our Insider PROs. If you're uncertain about your current subscription status, click HERE.

Plus we have a [SIZE=120%]MONEY BACK GUARANTEE[/SIZE] so there's nothing to lose.

Thanks - That's definitely a mistake and I've alerted the correct people to correct. 

J
The rankings page cut off at 5 like it would if I wasn't signed in.  The option you just explained mentions daily emails and breaking news, but nothing about rankings.

If a current (yet expired) subscriber has to resubscribe to another subscription in order to access content that's currently free, then that is probably what happened to me (and some others above).   I'll just leave this one at that I suppose.

I think we can support this.  It's tricky because we use Amember services as the login process to hold cloud info.  We will figure something out though that can showcase this fully at a minimum.

I think by the end of June, we will have the new myFBG completely rolled out to the site.  Some features are season-long though and we won't have week 1 projections until later than that obviously.
even a video demonstrating how it works might be enough for some folks 

The 2016 approach of lost articles and ignored dynasty rankings was quite a deviation from past years.  In fact, I left another site years ago to come to FBG for dynasty content alone.  If last year is the new norm, it should've been communicated before last year, but I guess at least has been communicated now.

Hi Johnb,

Was there something specific you were looking for there? 

I know we can always do better but I was pleased with our Dynasty content last year. This is some of the content. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article-list.php?cat=dynasty&ref=s

And as the new year rolls in, I thought these were excellent.

TOP 200 DYNASTY WR PRE-FREE AGENCY by Sigmund Bloom

TOP 150 DYNASTY RB PRE-FREE AGENCY by Sigmund Bloom

But for sure, we can always do better.

J

Thanks for letting me know. That's an error on our part then.

Let me see what we need to do to fix.

J

Is the VBD Excel App still going to be around? I much prefer that than the DD App.
yes this will be still be available in 2017.  So will the DD Classic and all of Bruce Henderson's tools.  We are moving forward with the online DD too, but there is no plan to eliminate Bruce's version for 2017.

MyFBG is a huge priority for me and it seems for many others as well.  It obviously caused a big uproar last year.  In particular was the fact that it was not working and this wasn't made known until the start of the season when many were depending on it.  More importantly was the complete lack of communication on it until after the season started despite knowing it was an issue.

I know you said "we believe the 2017 version of MyFBG will be to the standard we have always strived for", but what is the expected timeline for this?  What kind of updates/communications are to be expected?  Since there are those of us that pay subscriptions primarily for this service, certainly you can understand not wanting to go through the same thing again.

Finally, and honestly speaking, last year turned off a lot of people, not only because of the poor implementation of MyFBG as well as the tardiness of lots of content, but moreso due to a significant lapse in the customer service that has been present for quite some time (i.e. weekly Random Shot getting mailed out while not responding to many complaints about poor product).  For the first time, I read LOTS of comments from posters that they wouldn't be returning.  General question, but why should people return given the direction last year went?
Since later posts have already been responded to and this one hasn't yet, I'll repost again.  Any answers to the bolded above?

Hi Johnb,

I know we can always do better but I was pleased with our Dynasty content last year. This is some of the content. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article-list.php?cat=dynasty&ref=s

J
Honestly, I'd be fairly satisfied with updated rankings (with comments) like it seemed writers were historically passionate about.  They were what brought me to FBG.  

As far as articles, consistency would be nice.  Surely the list you just provided contains articles that weren't produced each week, either by surprise to subscribers or again, in comparison to past years.

Since later posts have already been responded to and this one hasn't yet, I'll repost again.  Any answers to the bolded above?
We plan on having it ready for mass consumption by the end of June at the latest.  We will let everyone know when it's available and we will provide an avenue to comment / provide feedback.

Honestly, I'd be fairly satisfied with updated rankings (with comments) like it seemed writers were historically passionate about.  They were what brought me to FBG.  

As far as articles, consistency would be nice.  Surely the list you just provided contains articles that weren't produced each week, either by surprise to subscribers or again, in comparison to past years.

Hi Johnb,

Some of those were special articles so I guess they were surprise but most were features repeated weekly. I'll look to see what we can do about adding more comments. 

J

Hi Johnb,

J
Almost every, single week there were articles, rankings, trade value charts, etc that were listed with the day they would be out that never happened.

As for being pleased with your dynasty content last year, do you not read your forum?

What does "early bird" get you?  If you're not starting things up until after the draft, what content are the early bird subscribers getting?

For those of us who are very much into dynasty, I seem to interpret what you're stating as no value will be provided for dynasty leaguers who need this information for their annual rookie drafts.  Is this the case?

Hi Johnb,

Some of those were special articles so I guess they were surprise but most were features repeated weekly. I'll look to see what we can do about adding more comments. 

J
Current rankings at all would be a good start.  Most updates last year in season were prompted by forum folks hounding guys.

On content, I'll give you an example.  Buy low sell high used to be weekly.  And then maybe two years ago it (and other articles) would just disappear from the content page some weeks and usually had no explanation.  This has been well documented in other threads.  I believe last year or the year before at least Norton? explained one week he had some personal stuff come up.  Otherwise, it was never explained.    

So fine if that's the direction going forward and realistically you probably don't need an old guy like me to succeed anyway.   Just pointing it out that it's not my (our) imagination.

Hi Gian,

Can you help me understand what you mean with customer service? We receive a ton of email every day that is responded to. Most within 24 hours. I do think it's important to define how people can contact us. The MyFBG page had a large red link with how to get help. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/myfbg/my.php  We did not always have the answer people wanted, but we tried to not leave anyone hanging. 

I do think there's a misconception that posting on the message board is the same as contacting customer service. We should do a better job making that clear. 

Are you saying you had email requests that weren't responded to?

J

What does "early bird" get you?  If you're not starting things up until after the draft, what content are the early bird subscribers getting?

For those of us who are very much into dynasty, I seem to interpret what you're stating as no value will be provided for dynasty leaguers.  Is this the case?
Think early bird has traditionally just be a cheaper cost

For those of us who are very much into dynasty, I seem to interpret what you're stating as no value will be provided for dynasty leaguers.  Is this the case?

Nothing extra Spike. It's just a discounted price for buying early.

J

We open the door up after the NFL Draft.  We aim to crush it from that day forward with articles on upcoming rookie drafts, Blooms Top 100, dynasty rankings, etc.   I would email Sigmund Bloom (bloom@footballguys.com) if you have specific requests for this content for the 2017 season. 
In regard to dynasty (and, I would assume, keeper leagues), I would like to suggest that's almost too late to open up the doors.  A non-insignificant percentage of those leagues start their annual rookie drafts almost immediately after the NFL Draft.  Any delay would make much of that information obsolete once it came out as it would be too late for it to be of value.

The rankings page cut off at 5 like it would if I wasn't signed in.  The option you just explained mentions daily emails and breaking news, but nothing about rankings.

If a current (yet expired) subscriber has to resubscribe to another subscription in order to access content that's currently free, then that is probably what happened to me (and some others above).   I'll just leave this one at that I suppose.
Same here.

Current rankings at all would be a good start.  Most updates last year in season were prompted by forum folks hounding guys.

On content, I'll give you an example.  Buy low sell high used to be weekly.  And then maybe two years ago it (and other articles) would just disappear from the content page some weeks and usually had no explanation.  This has been well documented in other threads.  I believe last year or the year before at least Norton? explained one week he had some personal stuff come up.  Otherwise, it was never explained.    

So fine if that's the direction going forward and realistically you probably don't need an old guy like me to succeed anyway.   Just pointing it out that it's not my (our) imagination.

Hi John,

We have two sets of rankings here that are current as of 3/10, with another 3/5 and one 2/14. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/viewrankings.php?viewpos=qb&type=dynasty&howrecent=35   Some people are having trouble seeing the content and we're working on what is up there. And for sure, nothing is being imagined, all our content is right here for dynasty http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article-list.php?cat=dynasty&ref=s

For content, we'll do our best to stay consistent. But to your example, buy low, sell high was part of that change. In 2015, we had some scattered buy low / sell high features. For last season, we had 3 weekly features in weeks 14, 15 and 16 all more in a consistent format covering each position. We thought that approach in 2016 was a more consistent way to approach it.

But we can always do better so thanks for your feedback there. And we always need old guys. We have to stick together... ;)

Hi Joe,  Will you be able to make the rankings on the website exportable to Excel?  Especially the pre-season expert compilations.  I would like to be able to sort these in different ways.

And will you be able to front-load season content to Monday. Tuesday and Wed?  My waivers close Thursday morning, like many others so the player add content is critical Mon/Tue and Wed of the week..

Thanks!
Just bumping my question again.

Will Excel Export be available for pre-season rankings? And can content be made available much earlier in the week, i don't care if it's weak content or not, best guess is all I look for when making decisions for trades, pickup and drop offs and I usually look forward to jumping into the next week asap so more content on Monday's and Tuesdays would be much appreciated.

A third thing, can some 2 QB analysis be tossed in here and there as the pre-season and seasons move along.

Thanks,

Just bumping my question again.

Will Excel Export be available for pre-season rankings? And can content be made available much earlier in the week, i don't care if it's weak content or not, best guess is all I look for when making decisions for trades, pickup and drop offs and I usually look forward to jumping into the next week asap so more content on Monday's and Tuesdays would be much appreciated.

A third thing, can some 2 QB analysis be tossed in here and there as the pre-season and seasons move along.

Thanks,

Hi Mp,

For now, we won't be changing anything about how our content can be exported. I know this isn't you, but we'd had problems in the past with sites exporting our content to their own. So we don't anticipate changing anything there.

I hear you on the "I don't care if it's weak content" but that's a tough one for us. At some point, it's not something we feel good about putting our name on. But I hear you on more content on Mon/Tue. Let us look there.

J

How is the software re-write going on the "Cloud" version? Last year's launch "Christmas in July" showed some pretty big bugs in the program. How well is that fixed for this season?

That's a work in progress. It's a lower priority than the MyFBG which we think is top.

J

What we published is all here. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article-list.php?cat=dynasty&ref=s  There isn't any rug to sweep it under.

J
Joe,

I don't think the issue is what's published, but what's listed to be published that ultimately isn't published.  For dynasty specifically, there were multiple weeks where there were 6-7 dynasty related pieces listed to be published as of Monday, yet come Friday there would be 4-5 actual dynasty articles linked while the remaining 1-2 simply disappeared from the list.  This isn't something that happened once or twice, but numerous times.  

And yes, mp, it's still a small percentage of our readers but 2 QB leagues are growing. We may have more content there. Although currently all our tools including the 186 Cheatsheets will have rankings factoring in for 2 QB leagues. Which as you know, changes things dramatically.

J

Joe,

I don't think the issue is what's published, but what's listed to be published that ultimately isn't published.  For dynasty specifically, there were multiple weeks where there were 6-7 dynasty related pieces listed to be published as of Monday, yet come Friday there would be 4-5 actual dynasty articles linked while the remaining 1-2 simply disappeared from the list.  This isn't something that happened once or twice, but numerous times.  

I see what you're saying. Do you remember what specific articles they were? I don't recall what articles this might have happened to but that's definitely something we want to avoid. I know there are times when we'll drop an article if the content is redundant to a previous article. But we need to be clear about what we're doing there.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread