What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chris Carson, SEA - 10.7.21 - Neck Issue (1 Viewer)

Grabbed him with the 8th pick of the 7th round in a my one and only redraft. Felt that was pretty damn decent value.

Besides being the #1 RB on the Seahawks depth chart and having the trust of Cheatin' Pete, the one thing I liked is that Carson showed improved catching ability out of the backfield.
One of the things that made me go  :shock:  was when Carson made this catch in the 2017 preseason. There aren't a ton of RBs, especially bruisers like Carson, who can track and adjust to a deep pass like that. Carson is nothing if not interesting. 

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said RB Chris Carson "really took the lead at that position" and rookie Rashaad Penny "looked a little rusty."

Carroll indicated that Penny isn't where he was in camp and might see fewer reps until he's back to form. Carson looked to be the better player in Week 1 anyways, totaling 79 yards on 10 touches. Until the Hawks' backfield usage is certain, Carson can't be viewed as anything more than a FLEX option with RB3 upside in the event Penny is brought along slowly.

Source: Bob Condotta on Twitter 

Sep 11 - 6:27 PM

Seen nothing but Penny and Davis for all of the fourth quarter tonight.

Did something happen to Carson?

Was wondering this myself

Booth guys are too busy talking incessantly about Mack to notice he hasn't been in
Mack is a legit story, Carson may simply be a scrub. Penny is expected to be in the lineup, the story on a national level would be Penny not being in the lineup. We are the only type of people who recognize something odd about Penny being in over Carson.

This thing could be a mess for the whole season. I recall they didn’t have very many games where they were favored by Vegas. I think tonight is a small example of what the Seahawks will be offensively and it’s vomit inducing.

This thing could be a mess for the whole season. I recall they didn’t have very many games where they were favored by Vegas. I think tonight is a small example of what the Seahawks will be offensively and it’s vomit inducing.
They are not the contenders of years past but this isn't the worst team Russell Wilson has led and when Wilson is leading the team you always have a puncher's chance.

They are not the contenders of years past but this isn't the worst team Russell Wilson has led and when Wilson is leading the team you always have a puncher's chance.
I see no reason to drop either but if it continues to be a split with negative game script neither is worth starting. I will continue to root for Penny and I think they are too. They had him running routes tonight and had him split out wide. He looks like a rookie to me who needs to regain the composure and confidence he had in college. Hopefully, he can do that. 

Also, I posted this in the Penny thread but is relevant here: https://twitter.com/chad_scott13/status/1041903380304617472?s=21

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Carson rushed six times for 24 yards in the Seahawks' 24-17, Week 2 loss to the Bears on Monday night.

Carson didn't catch his lone target. Carson rushed on the first three plays of the game, picking up 13 yards. He received another three carries before the break but appeared to be benched after halftime in favor of a Mike Davis-Rashaad Penny combo. Carson didn't appear to suffer an injury and remained in uniform with his helmet on. This comes six days after coach Pete Carroll said Carson "really took the lead" at running back. It's the latest in a long line of statements that eventually mean nothing from Carroll. Carson cannot be treated as anything more than a low-floor RB3 heading into Week 3 against the Cowboys.

Speaking after the Week 2 loss to the Bears, coach Pete Carroll said Chris Carson didn't get any second-half touches because he was "gassed" from playing special teams.

Okay. Maybe don't play your best running back on special teams then. Anyway, Carroll added he wanted to see what rookie Rashaad Penny could do with a bigger workload. The answer to that question? Not much. Penny was even worse, rushing 10 times for 30 yards, while dropping a pass and catching none. Meanwhile, Carson averaged a respectable 4.0 YPC in the first half only to never see the ball again. The Seahawks are a mess, especially on offense.

Chris Carson - RB -  Seahawks

Speaking after the Week 2 loss to the Bears, coach Pete Carroll said Chris Carson didn't get any second-half touches because he was "gassed" from playing special teams.

Okay. Maybe don't play your best running back on special teams then. Anyway, Carroll added he wanted to see what rookie Rashaad Penny could do with a bigger workload. The answer to that question? Not much. Penny was even worse, rushing 10 times for 30 yards, while dropping a pass and catching none. Meanwhile, Carson averaged a respectable 4.0 YPC in the first half only to never see the ball again. The Seahawks are a mess, especially on offense.

Source: Gregg Bell on Twitter 

Sep 18 - 12:50 AM

This is strange in many ways.  Carson looked ok, better than Penny, at least.  Carroll said he was going to get him the ball more and for the first series it looked that way, then nada.

Carroll says a weird thing about him being gassed from playing on special teams.  Maybe Carson complained about  playing on special team and that ticked off Carroll or maybe he wasn't hustling on a play and Carroll confronted him and he said it was because of special teams, so he benched him.  It's speculation, but something like this must have happened.

When given a chance when has he not?
He’s never been productive. Not in the NFL, not in college. He has a flash play here or there. His ypc has stunk, his auxiliaries are average. Everyone loves the back that runs over DB’s that they’ll ignore everything to try to validate his role.

As compared to Penny?  Both games this year thus far.
Ok, so one 50 yard run? It’s short sighted. He had one good game last year (against a very bad run defense). Think they would even dream about splitting Carson out wide? This narrative from preseason is such a falsehood. Carroll created this scenario with his stupid ### commentary. Should never have made these wild assertations about a guy who has never been a workhorse. 

As a guy that wasted way too much time on Thomas Rawls, I'm very happy to be out of the hope and pray and parse the Carroll quotes business.

Carrol certainly seems like he is confused about the RBs and their actual productivity.
This is Pete Carroll when he doesn't have a defense dominating the league. Just another ham & egger coach. Yeah, lets play Carson on special teams because we drafted Penny to be the man. No idea how to use Jimmy Graham, no idea which RB is actually better. Carroll is a bum and it's gonna start to show now.

He’s never been productive. Not in the NFL, not in college. He has a flash play here or there. His ypc has stunk, his auxiliaries are average. Everyone loves the back that runs over DB’s that they’ll ignore everything to try to validate his role.
He's been productive everytime he's been asked.

No earthy idea what you are talking about with his ypc stinking. No idea what auxiliaries are either.

He's not got a lot of volume. That's about all you can come up with that would be accurate. I'll let you keep to your regularly schedule Penny stumping now.

He's been productive everytime he's been asked.

No earthy idea what you are talking about with his ypc stinking. No idea what auxiliaries are either.

He's not got a lot of volume. That's about all you can come up with that would be accurate. I'll let you keep to your regularly schedule Penny stumping now.
There has been no indication about Carson’s productivity besides biased eyeballs that love when he crunches a DB. This board gets all steamy over two down bruisers but they have no place in today’s NFL. There is a reason he had close to zero productivity in college and there is a reason Seattle is turning away from him early.

There has been no indication about Carson’s productivity besides biased eyeballs that love when he crunches a DB. This board gets all steamy over two down bruisers but they have no place in today’s NFL. There is a reason he had close to zero productivity in college and there is a reason Seattle is turning away from him early.
Penny looked like a total plodder out there. He needs to drop fifteen or so if he wants to run like that.  

Penny looked like a total plodder out there. He needs to drop fifteen or so if he wants to run like that.  
What’s the point of arguing this? Congrats that you think your eyeballs are better then mine. Let’s wait ten weeks and if the numbers back you up, I’ll admit it. Right now I think the line is bad and play calling is awful but he looks much the same as he did in college. Agile in space, picks through trash and nice short area burst when the room has been there which isn’t often. I love how everyone is giving every other rookie the benefit of the doubt even though Saquon has under 3 ypc outside his big run, Michel had the same problems with missing camp, Kerryon is fighting two JAG’s for work, Guice blew up his knee, Jones is inactive and Royce has lost a lot of 1/2nd down work to a UDFA and is invisible in the passing game. Guy deserves time and a chance. Not to be used as a device to point out Seattle’s incompetence last draft, that’s obvious. Worst thing that happened for the guy in fantasy circles in being taken in the first so fantasy goons promoting the RB doesn’t matter narrative can use him as their primary target for poor drafting.

What’s the point of arguing this? Congrats that you think your eyeballs are better then mine. Let’s wait ten weeks and if the numbers back you up, I’ll admit it. Right now I think the line is bad and play calling is awful but he looks much the same as he did in college. Agile in space, picks through trash and nice short area burst when the room has been there which isn’t often. I love how everyone is giving every other rookie the benefit of the doubt even though Saquon has under 3 ypc outside his big run, Michel had the same problems with missing camp, Kerryon is fighting two JAG’s for work, Guice blew up his knee, Jones is inactive and Royce has lost a lot of 1/2nd down work to a UDFA and is invisible in the passing game. Guy deserves time and a chance. Not to be used as a device to point out Seattle’s incompetence last draft, that’s obvious. Worst thing that happened for the guy in fantasy circles in being taken in the first so fantasy goons promoting the RB doesn’t matter narrative can use him as their primary target for poor drafting.
Not much, I guess. Just an observation, and that I think Carson looked a lot better than you're giving him credit for when he was in there. This seems like a departure from the "best man" winning the job, which has been Seattle's modus operandi under Carroll. 

Also, the only place I've rostered Carson is the subscriber contest, and we know I ain't winning that, so I really have no personal interest in arguing a Carson/Penny thing until I see either short shrift or a hype machine going on for one or the other.  

And I don't think the numbers are going to tell the story if they're going to trot what looks like an inferior back out there. We can tell by PFF stats if you'd like. Elusiveness rating, YAC, YPC, etc. 

Carson's best runs were 9, 4 and 4 yards. 

Penny's best were 10, 6 and 4.

Carson got them one first down, a 2 yard run on 2nd and 1 after he got 9 on his first carry of the game. 

Penny got them two - a 10 yard run was a 4 yard run after his own 6 yard run where he made a nice move and had to stretch for a first down.  

More importantly, Carson was in on no scoring drives

Penny was in on their first td drive and the subsequent drive that ended with the interception.  He carried the ball nine times in 14 plays on those two drives. The touchdown pass to Lockett was off a play action fake to penny. The interception was an underthrown pass to penny.

Most importantly, the coaches just plain used penny in more fantasy friendly ways.

Carson played rb and special teams. 

Penny played rb and wide receiver. 

Carson got spelled by penny

Penny never got spelled by Carson

It's not like either one played awesome, it was a tough d that was wrecking their line.  But penny got several big votes of confidence from the coaches last night and was in the game when it was on the line. That's a big shift from two weeks ago. 

It's not like either one played awesome, it was a tough d that was wrecking their line.  But penny got several big votes of confidence from the coaches last night and was in the game when it was on the line. That's a big shift from two weeks ago. 
I'm in total agreement with this; my posting was really about Carson not looking too badly against a stout defensive front. Penny certainly did get that vote of confidence and usage spoke volumes about where both are potentially headed in the offense. 

Carson's best runs were 9, 4 and 4 yards. 

Penny's best were 10, 6 and 4.

Carson got them one first down, a 2 yard run on 2nd and 1 after he got 9 on his first carry of the game. 

Penny got them two - a 10 yard run was a 4 yard run after his own 6 yard run where he made a nice move and had to stretch for a first down.  

More importantly, Carson was in on no scoring drives

Penny was in on their first td drive and the subsequent drive that ended with the interception.  He carried the ball nine times in 14 plays on those two drives. The touchdown pass to Lockett was off a play action fake to penny. The interception was an underthrown pass to penny.

Most importantly, the coaches just plain used penny in more fantasy friendly ways.

Carson played rb and special teams. 

Penny played rb and wide receiver. 

Carson got spelled by penny

Penny never got spelled by Carson

If I was articulate and not tilting, this is how I would have argued.  :wall:

Oh, but we shouldn't forget Carson averaged 4 YPC while Penny averaged 3 YPC. I'd like to see elusiveness ratings and YAC before I judged the better night. All we know is what the coaches thought, and they look like they want to use the first-rounder going forward, a point EBF has made numerous times on this board, the validity of which I've paid attention to.

As a Carson owner, I cannot wait to drop him and get away from this offense.  It stinks.  Carroll has no clue what to do on O.  Wilson is not going to be able to cover up Carroll and the lack of talent this year. 

Carson is probably the better runner than Penny right now but Penny is going to get more touches each week. 

Oh, but we shouldn't forget Carson averaged 4 YPC while Penny averaged 3 YPC. I'd like to see elusiveness ratings and YAC before I judged the better night. All we know is what the coaches thought, and they look like they want to use the first-rounder going forward, a point EBF has made numerous times on this board, the validity of which I've paid attention to.
Penny got hit at the handoff twice when the defender broke through the line.  Once for 0 yards and one for negative one.  

If Wilson doesn't hand him the ball on those plays he finishes with 8 for 31 instead of 10 for 30. 

You can't take plays away, but ypc in a small sample size is virtually meaningless. 

You can't take plays away, but ypc in a small sample size is virtually meaningless. 
Yeah, true. I'm just trying to use a better measurement than my vision. I'm sort of admitting my own limitations in what I'm personally seeing on a football field.

Regardless, your points were all taken. What matters is who sees the field and who gets the carries regarding this situation, and it was certainly Penny last night.   

Carroll seems determined to make Penny happen...

unfortunate for Carson who worked his ### off for this opportunity 

Caroll even gave Penny chances in better situations and he still averaged lower...

Chris Carson remains atop the Seahawks' running back depth chart for Week 3.

"Gassed" from playing special teams — really (at least according to coach Pete Carroll) — Carson did not touch the ball in the second half of Monday's dispiriting loss to the Bears. Any time Carroll opens his mouth, he signs Carson's praises, but the usage has not matched the verbiage so far this season. Carson will be a risky, low-end FLEX play for Week 3 against the Cowboys.
https://twitter.com/Liz_Mathews/status/1042154481482231808

#CheatinPete morphing into #LyinPete now. It was clownshoes how Carson has looked strong and he just suddenly stopped getting carries. Seahawks beat writers lost their mind in Twitter covering that mess. If he simply said timeshare, that's fine. If he wanted to see what Penny had (even at the expense of Carson), okay that's a decision. Don't give me that gassed bullcrap.

No Seahawk RB is going to succeed behind that line. Especially with Baldwin out.

If you're forced to start him, good luck. Might get better at home but that line is absolutely horrid.

Penny got hit at the handoff twice when the defender broke through the line.  Once for 0 yards and one for negative one.  

If Wilson doesn't hand him the ball on those plays he finishes with 8 for 31 instead of 10 for 30. 

A few posts earlier you compared three rushing attempts of Penny's vs Carsons.  I assume you did it to infer something, but would seem like a pretty small sample size to make a meaningful comparison.

Carson has averaged 4.6 YPC over 62 career carries.  Thats all we have, and that aint bad.

Completely agree that the coaching staff is pushing Penny in for playing time.  None of us know the reason and the coaching staff just flat out making crap up doesn't help us know the reason.  Penny barely played in preseason, gained a crapton of weight and is averaging 2.2ypc so far this year....I'm not sure how you establish "trust" in a player based on that.

Right now what he has is draft capital and I'd bet that's getting him in the game, we'll see what he does with it.  Sitting at 0-2, can't say its worked well for the Seahawks so far.

A few posts earlier you compared three rushing attempts of Penny's vs Carsons.  I assume you did it to infer something, but would seem like a pretty small sample size to make a meaningful comparison.
Yes, it is a small sample size.  The point I was making was that people said Carson outplayed penny this week. Or that penny was plodding. And they pointed to a difference in yards per carry on a small sample size.  But penny's 3 best runs were better than Carson's 3 best - penny had runs of 10, 6 and 4 compared with Carson's 9, 4 and 4. And penny got hit behind the line of scrimmage twice as he was receiving the handoff, resulting in carries of 0 and minus one.  So Carson's 6 carries for 24 and Penny's 10 for 30 look like they're a whole yard per carry different, but the reality is they both looked decent.  

Carson has averaged 4.6 YPC over 62 career carries.  Thats all we have, and that aint bad.
Agreed.  I liked him a lot as a sleeper last year and was bummed when he got hurt.  

Completely agree that the coaching staff is pushing Penny in for playing time.  None of us know the reason and the coaching staff just flat out making crap up doesn't help us know the reason.  Penny barely played in preseason, gained a crapton of weight and is averaging 2.2ypc so far this year....I'm not sure how you establish "trust" in a player based on that.

Right now what he has is draft capital and I'd bet that's getting him in the game, we'll see what he does with it. 
Draft capital is definitely part of it.  But it's also his ceiling.  If I have two guys playing similarly right now but one has worked as hard as anyone to get there and the other is just getting started, I want to reward the hard worker, but I still want the higher ceiling guy to get reps so he can reach his potential. 

The team sees penny as a workhorse feature back - a guy who not only has the size to carry the load and the speed to hit the home run, but the receiving ability to get there. And they used him in two critical fourth quarter drives when they were trailing the bears, so the much discussed blocking issues apparently aren't a show stopper. 

Carson is trying to make the case that he can do those things, too. And maybe he'll succeed. But the team apparently thought penny had that potential and didn't think their current roster did, so it's a case he'll have to continue to make. 

Sitting at 0-2, can't say its worked well for the Seahawks so far.
The seahawks lost their first game and with Carson as the starter, they had 3 points through three quarters this week. 

Then they brought in penny and gave him the ball on 10 of the next 14 plays. Penny had more first downs than Carson, and they scored their first touchdown on a play action fake to penny.

The bears intercepted a pass intended for penny when he was split out wide - you can make a case that that's bad for penny, but the idea that they can use him as a receiver like that in the first place is one of the things that gives penny that high ceiling.  

The drive penny came in unquestionably sparked an offense that had gone 3 and out repeatedly.  Was it because penny was in?  Because the defense was playing soft?  Could Carson have done the same things?  Should they have used Carson more in the first 3 quarters?  Those are all fair questions.  Saying that the seahawks hurt their chances of winning by bringing penny in, though, is not fair.  They scored 14 of their 17 points with Carson on the bench. 

Think we see it the same BF, mostly.  Agree team sees something in Penny, its why they drafted him in 1st.  I own both players and if I were to bet on the better player long term I'd take Penny pretty handily.

However, in the short term I do think it is completely fair to question if the Seahawks are 0-2 or not because of their mismanagement of the run game.  Carson has done everything necessary, including averaging more than 7yrds a carry in week one.  Giving him 7 carries that week and 6 this week, is absolutely cause to question the coaching and question if the outcome would be different if they actually did what they said they needed to do...commit to the run game and give Carson the ball.  Give Penny 20 carries, I could at least understand that better than what they've done so far.

Users who are viewing this thread