Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Borden

Chris Carson - RB - Seahawks

2 hours ago, need2know said:

sounds like nothing to me

For a player to start the week with FP and not be on the injury list, to designated out of the blue as LP on a Thursday?

That's not as if they are giving him rest from the pounding he took -- otherwise would be out/limited in early week practices and back in the swing later in the week. This is decidedly off-trend.

It's may not be "something," but it certainly isn't nothing.

Hoping to see either FP today, or news that they were giving him some veteran rest and he's expected to be a full-go.

12 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

For a player to start the week with FP and not be on the injury list, to designated out of the blue as LP on a Thursday?

That's not as if they are giving him rest from the pounding he took -- otherwise would be out/limited in early week practices and back in the swing later in the week. This is decidedly off-trend.

It's may not be "something," but it certainly isn't nothing.

Hoping to see either FP today, or news that they were giving him some veteran rest and he's expected to be a full-go.

One of the things they mentioned as to why they didn’t think his shoulder was much of an issue is despite the LP, they didn’t limit media access to Carson.  That evidently has been one of SEA’s tells.

15 minutes ago, TheDirtyWord said:

One of the things they mentioned as to why they didn’t think his shoulder was much of an issue is despite the LP, they didn’t limit media access to Carson.  That evidently has been one of SEA’s tells.

Hmm...

SEA and Carroll -- one of the more inscrutable "coach-speak" coaches -- has a tell, eh?

Very interesting.... 

Rotoworld:

Chris Carson (shoulder) wasn't listed on the Seahawks' final injury report.

Carson is good to go for Sunday's matchup against the Browns. Rashaad Penny (hamstring) is questionable. Carson (84% snap rate, 27 carries, 2 targets) worked well ahead of Penny (16%, 6, 2) in Week 5 anyway. Carson is too good (as long as he's not fumbling) to keep off the field. Only Alvin Kamara (38 broken tackles) and Christian McCaffrey (35) have made more defenders miss than Carson (32) through five weeks.

SOURCE: John Boyle on Twitter.

Oct 11, 2019, 4:28 PM ET

Chris Carson rushed 24 times for 124 yards and a touchdown in the Seahawks' Week 6 win over the Browns, adding four receptions for 35 additional yards.

Carson has now cleared 100 yards in all three games since the Seahawks doubled down on him following his fumbling issues. He has averaged 27 touches in the process, and it hasn't mattered whether Rashaad Penny has played or sat. Carson should keep eating when the Seahawks host the diminished Ravens for Week 8.

Edited by The Frankman
  • Like 1

Looking at Carson's upcoming schedule against a string of brutal run defenses:

week 9 TB (#1 run D)

week 10 SF  (#12 run D)

week 11 BYE

week 12 PHI  (#2 run D)

week 13 MIN  (#4 run D)

Anyone else thinking of trading him now?  And what do we think we could get for him?  I wonder if I package Carson and, say, McClaurin, if I could get a top 6 RB?

34 minutes ago, Truebluey said:

week 9 TB (#1 run D)

week 10 SF  (#12 run D)

week 11 BYE

week 12 PHI  (#2 run D)

week 13 MIN  (#4 run D)

Anyone else thinking of trading him now?  And what do we think we could get for him?  I wonder if I package Carson and, say, McClaurin, if I could get a top 6 RB?

IMO if just McLaurin then maaaaybe you’d get Aaron Jones from a panicking owner. Ingram from someone in need of a WR. At least in my leagues where name values outweigh production at times. 

6 hours ago, Truebluey said:

week 9 TB (#1 run D)

Rankings can be misleading.  TB is a top run defense because teams have been passing all over them. It skews the numbers. 

They were also getting unreal play from their LBs the first few weeks, especially Barrett. He’s been banged up & his play tanked the last two weeks. 

week 10 SF  (#12 run D)

week 11 BYE

week 12 PHI  (#2 run D)

week 13 MIN  (#4 run D)

All legitimately tough run defenses.

but it’s not like Carson hasn’t faced any tough run defenses to date. CLE was supposed to be a tough test & Carson shredded them. 

possible, sure. Bird in the hand is valuable too. Carson’s been my most dependable player the last few weeks. I’m inclined to hang onto him & see if he can finish top 6. 

unless it’s a buy-low on a hurt Kamara or package Carson with someone better to get a CMC, Chubb or Cook, I’m not sure I’d more him.

Of the current “top 6” PPR backs Eckeler appears to be dropping off the face of the Earth, Fournette is difficult to project going forward & a huge health risk, David Johnson is banged up, Aaron Jones appears to be embroiled in a RBBC (and squarely in the doghouse after fumbling l, then later dropping that duck TD) and Ingram is pretty inconsistent, depending on which position his QB feels like playing that day.  

I don’t think I’d want any of those guys over Carson right now.  So if you’re aiming high at Cook, Kamara, Chubb or CMC, go for it.

5 hours ago, Loipz said:

IMO if just McLaurin then maaaaybe you’d get Aaron Jones from a panicking owner. Ingram from someone in need of a WR. At least in my leagues where name values outweigh production at times. 

But is that an upgrade?  GB seems very comfortable going 60-40 RBBC, and as we just saw, the doghouse door isn’t exactly closed. 

if someone offered me Jones+Scary Terry for Carson I’d thank them for the fair offer and politely decline. 

4 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Rankings can be misleading.   Carson’s been my most dependable player the last few weeks. I’m inclined to hang onto him & see if he can finish top 6. 

unless it’s a buy-low on a hurt Kamara or package Carson with someone better to get a CMC, Chubb or Cook, I’m not sure I’d more him.

Of the current “top 6” PPR backs Eckeler appears to be dropping off the face of the Earth, Fournette is difficult to project going forward & a huge health risk, David Johnson is banged up, Aaron Jones appears to be embroiled in a RBBC (and squarely in the doghouse after fumbling l, then later dropping that duck TD) and Ingram is pretty inconsistent, depending on which position his QB feels like playing that day.  

I don’t think I’d want any of those guys over Carson right now.  So if you’re aiming high at Cook, Kamara, Chubb or CMC, go for it.

Yes, when I meant Top 6 I meant Zeke, CMac, Cook, Kamara.  

I do think you make a good case. The way Seattle is using him, you have to figure he still gets the bulk of the goal line carries. And even if a run D is tough, Wilson seems to be able to conjure up ways to get the offense down in scoring position.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Truebluey said:

Yes, when I meant Top 6 I meant Zeke, CMac, Cook, Kamara.  

I do think you make a good case. The way Seattle is using him, you have to figure he still gets the bulk of the goal line carries. And even if a run D is tough, Wilson seems to be able to conjure up ways to get the offense down in scoring position.

And he’s been getting more receptions this year, including around the RZ. 

Chris Carson rushed 21 times for 65 yards in the Seahawks' Week 7 loss to the Ravens.

He "added" three catches for nine yards on five targets. It was tough for anyone to gain their footing in this game as it rained throughout the day in Seattle, and nobody other than Lamar Jackson stood out in the box score here. Carson should rebound in a big way next week in the dome against the Falcons' nonexistent defense.

Oct 20, 2019, 7:49 PM ET

Chris Carson notched 105 yards on 16 carries while also delivering two catches for 28 yards on two targets Sunday in Seattle’s Week 9 win over the Buccaneers.

The numbers look fine on paper, but it wasn't quite the dominant performance you'd expect from a running back of Carson's elite caliber. Much of his output came on a 59-yard burst, which nearly ended in disaster when Devin White came from behind to strip the football from Carson, though luckily it landed out of bounds. Carson wasn't as lucky when he coughed it up in the fourth quarter, resulting in his fourth lost fumble of the year. Being loose with the football is a good way to get benched, though coach Pete Carroll never lost confidence in his workhorse, who came through with a clutch, one-handed catch on Seattle's eventual game-winning drive in overtime. Ball-security remains a critical concern for Carson, though it's hard to argue with his production as the third-year power-back has now rushed for 90-plus yards in five of his last six outings. The Niners present a challenge in Week 10, though Kenyan Drake had no trouble gashing them for 162 yards in his Cardinals debut last week.

Nov 3, 2019, 7:53 PM ET

Gonna be interesting to see what happens given the fumbles.

Like always, I will stick to the line that Carson is too proven and too effective to limit touches.

But while he hasn’t had a whisper of a problem since the early season fumbles, it can’t be said that it’s not concerning or even a problem, and you know that’s gonna be a huge topic in the media, on boards/social media, and otherwise this whole week.

2 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Gonna be interesting to see what happens given the fumbles.

Like always, I will stick to the line that Carson is too proven and too effective to limit touches.

But while he hasn’t had a whisper of a problem since the early season fumbles, it can’t be said that it’s not concerning or even a problem, and you know that’s gonna be a huge topic in the media, on boards/social media, and otherwise this whole week.

They kept giving him the ball, including on the final drive and at the stripe. 

sometimes the defense makes plays too. I don’t see anything from Penny that would allow the Seahawks the luxury of punishing Carson. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

They kept giving him the ball, including on the final drive and at the stripe. 

sometimes the defense makes plays too. I don’t see anything from Penny that would allow the Seahawks the luxury of punishing Carson. 

I agree. If the team had a lot of faith in Penny in a tight game like that, Carson probably would have been benched. Continuing to roll Carson out seems to say a lot about how Carroll views both players.

• Like 1

Carson is ranked pretty high this week....in or near the top ten for RBs.  The Monday Night matchup against SF doesn't seem favorable to me, I'm considering other options.

4 minutes ago, boilerdave said:

Carson is ranked pretty high this week....in or near the top ten for RBs.  The Monday Night matchup against SF doesn't seem favorable to me, I'm considering other options.

Last 3 games RBs vs SF

Peterson 20-80 yards

McCaffrey 14-117-TD

Drake 15-110-TD

With this week taking a lot of people due to bye week, there are no other options for me.  He is locked in at RB1 as I scramble to fill other spots.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, boilerdave said:

Guy gets 20 touches a game and just put up over 100 yards rushing vs the stingy TB run defense. A guy who's been with his team for 3 days just put up 150 yds vs them and they lost their best LB for the season. If hes not in your top 10 any week especially a week with 6 teams on bye, Id love to know who is.

Edited by shadyridr
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, shadyridr said:

Guy gets 20 touches a game and just put up over 100 yards rushing vs the stingy TB run defense. A guy who's been with his team for 3 days just put up 150 yds vs them and they lost their best LB for the season. If hes not in your top 10 any week especially a week with 6 teams on bye, Id love to know who is.

This all day. No question it's a hard match up, but Carson is literally in the must-start conversation, even as SEA takes on Gordon and seems to have a little more balanced run/pass attack.

Carson is involved in all phases of the game.

I am just hoping he doesn't fumble again which would definitely fire up the same kind of chatter we saw in early season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Last 3 games RBs vs SF

Peterson 20-80 yards

McCaffrey 14-117-TD

Drake 15-110-TD

That’s good stuff. Thanks

Rotoworld Backfield Breakdown: Seattle Seahawks

RB1: Chris Carson (73% snap rate, 22.7 opportunities per game)

RB2: Rashaad Penny (13%, 6.3)

RB3: C.J. Prosise (14%, 4)

Notes: Carson was seemingly on the verge of being benched after fumbling three times in Weeks 1-3.

All he's done since is work as the offense's featured three-down workhorse:

Week 4: 76% snaps, 22 carries, 4 targets

Week 5: 84% snaps, 27 carries, 2 targets

Week 6: 79% snaps, 24 carries, 4 targets

Week 7: 89% snaps, 21 carries, 5 targets

Week 8: 69% snaps, 20 carries, 1 target

Week 9: 85% snaps, 16 carries, 2 targets

Carson did fumble twice in Week 9, although he wasn't benched and wound up getting each of the backfield's remaining six touches following the second fumble.

The 49ers join the Vikings, Saints, Buccaneers and Patriots as the league's only defenses to allow fewer than 20 PPR per game to opposing RBs. Still, Carson's status as one of the league's true featured backs makes him a matchup-proof RB1 until further notice. Nobody else in the league has broken more tackles than Carson (57) through nine weeks.

Edited by The Frankman
  • Like 2

Chris Carson rushed 25 times for 89 yards and one touchdown in the Seahawks' 27-24, Week 10 win over the 49ers.

He added three catches for 12 yards on four targets. Carson ran as hard as ever in this physical dogfight between two defensive-minded teams. One of the toughest runners in football, Carson continued to push piles and fall forward for extra yards. His score came from one yard out in the third quarter to extend the lead to 21-10. Carson has at least 20 touches in six of his last seven games, and Rashaad Penny lost another fumble on one of his two touches. Carson is as secure an RB1 there is in fantasy as the Seahawks head into their bye.

Carson also fumbled but it was recovered by Seattle.

Edited by The Frankman

10 hours ago, The Frankman said:

Carson also fumbled but it was recovered by Seattle.

Carson really has Carroll's full support.

Penny fumbles... straight to the doghouse.

Carson fumbles... part of the game, get back out there, played every snap the rest of the way. Good to see.

• Like 1

This dude runs so hard.....He won't have a long career running like that but man he is fun to watch 

8 minutes ago, nelly29 said:

This dude runs so hard.....He won't have a long career running like that but man he is fun to watch 

The body control on the not-TD before his TD was something to behold as well.

• Like 3

On 10/20/2019 at 8:16 AM, Hot Sauce Guy said:

True Bluey said: "Looking at Carson's upcoming schedule against a string of brutal run defenses:

week 9 TB (#1 run D)

week 10 SF  (#12 run D)

week 11 BYE

week 12 PHI  (#2 run D)

week 13 MIN  (#4 run D)

Trade him now?"

Rankings can be misleading.  TB is a top run defense because teams have been passing all over them. It skews the numbers. 

They were also getting unreal play from their LBs the first few weeks, especially Barrett. He’s been banged up & his play tanked the last two weeks. 

All legitimately tough run defenses.

but it’s not like Carson hasn’t faced any tough run defenses to date. CLE was supposed to be a tough test & Carson shredded them. 

Good call. Against two of the "toughest" run defenses in the NFL the past 2 weeks he has been absolutely money.  If you traded for him I'm thinking you're pretty happy.

14 hours ago, Truebluey said:

Good call. Against two of the "toughest" run defenses in the NFL the past 2 weeks he has been absolutely money.  If you traded for him I'm thinking you're pretty happy.

Gets all the carries as well, so week in, week out, better than average chance of scoring a TD... as opposed to say a Marlon Mack.

3 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

Where does Carson go in startup drafts right now?

Just outside the top-5 RB I would think. Depends on your scoring system, but I would think he's solidly in the RB 5-10 bracket... maybe 2-3 WRs would rank ahead of him.

1 hour ago, Dizzy said:

Just outside the top-5 RB I would think. Depends on your scoring system, but I would think he's solidly in the RB 5-10 bracket... maybe 2-3 WRs would rank ahead of him.

So end of the 1st round you think?

23 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

So end of the 1st round you think?

Sounds about right.

Locked in for 20-25 touches/game, all the goal line work, and stays in regardless of game script. Durable too.

Chris Carson rushed eight times for 26 yards in the Seahawks' 17-9, Week 12 win over the Eagles.

Carson added four catches for 31 yards on four targets, but the story for Seattle will again be Carson's fumbling issue. He put the ball on the ground on back-to-back second-half plays, recovering his own first one but losing it to Philly on the next play. (They charged the fumble to Russell Wilson because Carson technically never had possession of it.) With the fumbles, Carson registered a season-low eight carries and watched Rashaad Penny hang a 14-129-1 line on the board with a couple explosive runs. Coach Pete Carroll has stuck by Carson throughout the year, and Carson has been great when he isn't fumbling, but it'll be interesting to see if Penny stays involved next week against the Vikings.

Edited by The Frankman
  • Like 1

While I had voiced concern with Carson's early season fumbles, was glad to see him course-correct and the team stick with him,

Didn't catch the game today, but with b2b fumbles, and then Penny having a great day (and looking fantastic on his catch and run long TD), officially concerned, as all fellow Carson owners should be.

I remember Carson fumbling in his last game too, but was able to recover. This is officially a problem and won't be surprised to have those 20 carry games be a thing of the past, and to see a time-share going forward.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

While I had voiced concern with Carson's early season fumbles, was glad to see him course-correct and the team stick with him,

Didn't catch the game today, but with b2b fumbles, and then Penny having a great day (and looking fantastic on his catch and run long TD), officially concerned, as all fellow Carson owners should be.

I remember Carson fumbling in his last game too, but was able to recover. This is officially a problem and won't be surprised to have those 20 carry games be a thing of the past, and to see a time-share going forward.

I think it was part of the gameplan vs the eagles.  It seemed like the eagles run def was not as stout when Carson left the field.  Penny had huge holes to run through.  It wasn't anything he did .  He got lucky imo and the eagles did not fear penny.  Guess we will find out.....

31 minutes ago, need2know said:

I think it was part of the gameplan vs the eagles.  It seemed like the eagles run def was not as stout when Carson left the field.  Penny had huge holes to run through.  It wasn't anything he did .  He got lucky imo and the eagles did not fear penny.  Guess we will find out.....

Don't own either RB, and have always thought Penny was average while Carson was really good.   Yesterday, Penny looked decisive and explosive. 

It helped that Carson had one more touch (two plays into the next possession) after the second fumble, but one has to wonder how long Carroll will put up with Carson's fumbilitis.

Did all 9 lives finally expire? The further you go into a season the less tolerant any coach is going to be with playoffs on the line.

I think he continues to start in a timeshare now but it could be completely over if he fumbles again in the next couple of weeks.

I have dropped and picked up Penny twice already and now I probably won't get him when I need him. :wall:

Posted this in the Penny thread, but Carson is on pace for an unprecedented number of fumbles in the modern era. 

Already has 7.  I don't see anyone with more than 9 after looking back 25 years

1 minute ago, kittenmittens said:

Posted this in the Penny thread, but Carson is on pace for an unprecedented number of fumbles in the modern era. 

He only dropped one fumble, although that is still cause for concern. 

The second was a botched handoff. It looked like Carson expected Wilson to keep it, as there were was clearly miscommunication on the play. They both sort of threw their hands up and looked at each other. In some ways that might be worse for Carson, if they lose faith that he's understanding the plays called. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Truebluey said:

He only dropped one fumble, although that is still cause for concern. 

The second was a botched handoff. It looked like Carson expected Wilson to keep it, as there were was clearly miscommunication on the play. They both sort of threw their hands up and looked at each other. In some ways that might be worse for Carson, if they lose faith that he's understanding the plays called. 

Thanks.  It looks like they only scored him for 1 this week?  I think dropped handoffs go to the QB usually. 

I have Carson and penny.   I hope they decide on one over the other cause if they start using both thats not what we want

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, need2know said:

I have Carson and penny.   I hope they decide on one over the other cause if they start using both thats not what we want

Had penny benched in 2, had to drop him recently in both due to injuries n byes

:angry:

17 minutes ago, Efritch4 said:

Sounding like a time share according to Head Coach Stinky Pete....UGHHH!!!

Yeah, I just saw the comments. Definitely got interesting now once the dust has settled, although this week’s game vs. the Vikings will be a tough one for both RBs. If I had to guess, Carson is still the starter but he won’t get his usual heavy work (as Tom alluded to above) but we shall see. I think the team wanted this anyway to save Carson longterm, regardless of the fumble problem, even though it sure feels like it is about the fumbles. I’m going by what I’m seeing online. Again, I’m guessing here.

Edited by Mario Wario

1 hour ago, kittenmittens said:

Just posted this in the Penny thread:

15 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

Carson is actually responsible for 9 fumbles. 2 of them were attributed to Wilson because Carson never had possession... but that was because in both cases he was unable to cleanly take a simple handoff. (ETA: the one yesterday was apparently because Carson didn't realize Wilson changed the play at the line.)

Now combine that with Penny's performance yesterday, and I think it is obvious Carson will lose ground to Penny this week. What happens beyond this week depends on how they both play.

• Love 1