What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chris Carson, SEA - 10.7.21 - Neck Issue (2 Viewers)

Oh goody I’m looking forward to playing against him this week in the semi’s
I'm looking forward to starting him in the semis. Especially since I have Mike Evans, Chark, Thielen, Jared Cook, and a waiting room full of walking wounded on my team. I figure I need 157 points from Carson to advance to the super bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting him over zeke in my guillotine championship. Carolina has been terrible against run and they would love to pound the rock Sunday 
Starting both. Expecting a good day. Would lean Carson too. Carolina has been so so bad and may have quit. Seahawks great traveling East. Coming off a loss. Don’t think they’ll be flat. 

I really like this guy.  Even in a timeshare with Penny.  Glad I traded for him in a dynasty and drafted him in a redraft.

Chris Carson erupted for 133 yards and two touchdowns on 24 carries while also securing one of two targets for four yards Sunday in the Seahawks’ Week 15 win over the Panthers.

Going against the NFL's fourth-worst run defense (allowing 139.2 yards per game), Carson laid waste to Carolina, rumbling to a season-high 133 rushing yards while punching in his eighth and ninth touchdowns of 2019. He got off to a booming start, throttling the Panthers for 47 yards and a touchdown on the opening drive. The carnage didn't stop there as Carson thundered into the end zone for a six-yard, grown-man touchdown with seven minutes to go in the fourth quarter. Carson has struggled with ball security at times (league-worst seven fumbles) but has already rushed for over 1,000 yards, a mark he's achieved in two of three seasons since arriving as an anonymous seventh-round pick in 2017. With Rashaad Penny (ACL) no longer a threat, Carson should see another monster workload when the Seahawks host Arizona in Week 16.

I wouldn't be surprised that with all the doom and gloom, a lot of owners sit Carson and be has a 14-80, 3 for 35 receiving, 3 TD game in the next few weeks. Feels like he hasn't gotten the opportunities to punch it in as often as you would expect for a Russell Wilson team. 
and there it is:

Seattle Seahawks running back Chris Carson was tasked with being the solo shot in the backfield once again after Rashaad Penny hit the IR with a torn ACL, and he came to play. Carson destroyed the Panthers Defense on Sunday as he carried the ball 24 times for 133 yards, a new career-high. He also ran in a pair of touchdowns and exploded for huge yardage on the regular against the Panthers. He's now at 1,190 rushing yards this season, another career-high, and he'll be expected to remain one of the focal points of Seattle's offense for the rest of the season. Expect the Seahawks' success to ride heavily on his shoulders as the regular season winds up and the postseason begins.--Billy Stonick - RotoBaller

Coach Pete Carroll said Chris Carson (hip) is out for the season.

After going 8/40 running and 1/20 receiving, Carson exited the Seahawks' Week 17 loss to the Cardinals just before halftime. C.J. Prosise (arm) is also done for the year, so Travis Homer is expected to receive a featured role for the team's season-defining Week 17 matchup against the 49ers. It's a disappointing end to what had been a great season for Carson (when he managed to hold on to the ball). Overall, he rushed for 1,230 yards and seven touchdowns while also chipping in a 38-266-2 receiving line. Carson and Rashaad Penny form a lethal one-two backfield when both are healthy.

Cowboysfan8 said:
Wk 17 championship in one of leagues

Sucks to lose him 
At least you know and can start someone else.  I lost the championship by 2 points.

He was great all year, so not complaining, just disappointed.  Hope he can heal properly for next year.

ghostguy123 said:
Ummmmm, so what sort of injury does he have? Geeze.

Is he cool for 2020?

Hope some info comes out soon
Maybe just a few month thing, but certainly doesn’t sound good when he’s already ruled out for the rest of the season - including post-season - without even a Monday morning MRI.

ghostguy123 said:
Ummmmm, so what sort of injury does he have? Geeze.

Is he cool for 2020?

Hope some info comes out soon
Hip fracture

Carroll said Carson's hip injury is similar to the one safety Lano Hill suffered late last season. Hill had surgery on his hip last January; he was out for roughly eight months.

When was the last time that a team lost its top-3 RBs for the season?
Good question.  It had to involve Fred Taylor somehow though.
"Fragile Fred" was an unfortunate nickname which had more to do with alliteration than with reality. (He only missed significant parts of 3 out of 13 seasons due to injury.) You can also blame Tom Coughlin's outdated mentality on injuries -- he insisted on listing Taylor as "Questionable" every week in 2001, despite the fact that team doctors had ruled him out for the season.

Seems like there had to be a Shanahan team to do this. Isn't it how Ryan Torrain came to be a thing for a bit? 

Maybe I'm misremembering but didn't a ton of injuries precede the Peyton Hillis breakout season?

Actually speaking of Shanahans, last year the 49ers at one point had lost all of McKinnon, Tevin, and Breida for the year I think? 

These could all be incorrect. 

Seems like there had to be a Shanahan team to do this. Isn't it how Ryan Torrain came to be a thing for a bit? 

Maybe I'm misremembering but didn't a ton of injuries precede the Peyton Hillis breakout season?

Actually speaking of Shanahans, last year the 49ers at one point had lost all of McKinnon, Tevin, and Breida for the year I think? 

These could all be incorrect. 
I think you're on to something here.

The 2008 Broncos opened with Selvin Young as their starter. He was injured after a few weeks (but returned toward the end of the season as a non-starter) and was replaced by Michael Pittman, who started the next 3 games before getting injured. Then they turned to Ryan Torain, who had 68 yards on the first 12 carries of his first start.....before tearing his ACL shortly before halftime. Then they turned to Peyton Hillis, who started the next 4 games but tore his hamstring in week 13. At that point they turned to a recently-resigned (and hopefully motivated) Tatum Bell.

When Hillis had his breakout season in Cleveland, he opened the year as their starting fullback and was already getting a decent number of carries by the time their starting RB Jerome Harrison got injured.

Without the injury concern, he has to be viewed as a top15 dynasty RB right?  I can understand trepidation because of the injury and maybe he doesn't make a top15 list but because of his role he should be viewed rather highly right?  He's like Peyton Barber though, doesn't get respect as a starting RB, except Carson is actually good.  

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Chris Carson (hip) does not need hip surgery.

It's a sigh of relief after Carson was initially expected to undergo offseason surgery and battle potential long-term damage on the road to recovery. Carroll also sounded optimistic (as he typically does) that the 25-year-old would be healthy and ready for training camp. Rashaad Penny's value post-ACL injury in Best-Ball leagues this offseason could be worth chasing pending Carson's rehab throughout the spring.

SOURCE: Curtis Crabtree on Twitter

Jan 1, 2020, 3:44 PM ET

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Chris Carson (hip) does not need hip surgery.
Interesting. I think checking in with Jene Bramel's injury update might provide us with further clarity as the weeks go by. Fracture or disjointment must be different injuries, different rehabs, different protocols, you name it. 

et* I think Jene was exactly right at the time he had the information, however, news today seems to have changed the diagsnosis in some way. I won't post paid subscriber content analysis until it becomes free for all to see on the internet or mad speculation reigns. 

Chris Carson (hip) is expected to be ready for Week 1.

That would seem to mean Carson is questionable for the beginning of training camp. Coach Pete Carroll once again emphasized Tuesday that Carson avoided a fracture and surgery. Carson's injury seems less serious than Rashaad Penny's, but is major all the same. Backfield-obsessed Carroll might need to add another body to his banged up running back corps.

SOURCE: Bob Condotta on Twitter

Feb 25, 2020, 4:06 PM ET

CHRIS CARSON RB, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

Seahawks OC Brian Schottenheimer said he feels "really good about both [Chris Carson and Rashaad Penny] coming back" from injuries next season.

“Obviously, they both had significant injuries," Schottenheimer said. "Chris has been through some injuries before. I think it was his rookie year before I got here he had the leg fracture. I think he’ll be great. It sounds like they’re doing well when we get our updates from those guys." Carson remains questionable for training camp after fracturing his hip in the team's regular season finale and Penny is still aiming to re-join this offense sometime in September after going down with a brutal torn ACL in Week 14. With C.J. Prosise, Marshawn Lynch and Robert Turbin no longer around, it wouldn't be shocking to see Seattle reach for another back in this year's draft.

RELATED: 

Rashaad Penny

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on Twitter

Apr 14, 2020, 8:07 AM ET

Chris Carson (hip) is expected to be ready for Week 1. 

The word came straight from coach Pete Carroll in a Thursday radio interview. The ever-optimistic Carroll was less bullish/more evasive on Rashaad Penny (ACL). The Seahawks have been projecting optimism on Carson's status for months, though they did use a fourth-round pick on Miami RB DeeJay Dallas. Carson remains in the driver's seat for lead duties, but his punishing running style leaves him prone to nicks and bruises. 

SOURCE: Bob Condotta on Twitter 

Apr 30, 2020, 8:37 PM ET

What's everyone's take on Chris Carson?  Can he completely recover from fractured hip?  I mean it is no joke with that severity of injury.   After all, Seahawks drafted DeeJay Dallas from Miami in 5th or 6th round and then recently had signed Carlos Hyde.  Both are indicator of Seahawks' much need RB depth due to their propensity of run-heavy offensive scheme.  This doesn't sound like Carson and Rashaad Penny would be completely recovered from injury (Carson with fractured hip and Penny with torn ACL). 

What's everyone's take on Chris Carson?  Can he completely recover from fractured hip?  I mean it is no joke with that severity of injury.   After all, Seahawks drafted DeeJay Dallas from Miami in 5th or 6th round and then recently had signed Carlos Hyde.  Both are indicator of Seahawks' much need RB depth due to their propensity of run-heavy offensive scheme.  This doesn't sound like Carson and Rashaad Penny would be completely recovered from injury (Carson with fractured hip and Penny with torn ACL). 
Probably just Seattle being cautious. Penny is not expected to be ready week 1. 

The Seattle Times reports the Seahawks "still intend on Chris Carson being their primary running back in 2020" following Friday's signing of Carlos Hyde.

Carson is still rehabbing his hip injury, but the Seahawks have said he will be ready for Week 1. Hyde is a pure injury hedge in a backfield where Rashaad Penny (knee) seems destined for the reserve/PUP list, costing him six games. Hyde could end up an early-season nuisance but unless Carson suffers a setback, Hyde will not provide re-draft value.   

RELATED: 

Carlos Hyde

SOURCE: Seattle Times 

May 22, 2020, 6:17 PM ET

Very weird because I though they'd sign a guy who could catch the ball; they went after Freeman but he didn't like the contract. This seems to point at Carson staying on the field on 3rd downs because Hyde sure doesn't have better hands than him.

Very weird because I though they'd sign a guy who could catch the ball; they went after Freeman but he didn't like the contract. This seems to point at Carson staying on the field on 3rd downs because Hyde sure doesn't have better hands than him.
Probably true. Although I remember back in 17 thinking Hyde was turning into a decent all around back. I still think he's underrated as a back, but doesn't stand out in anything enough really.  If Carson missed time or doesn't fully recover, Hyde probably becomes a pretty good RB2. at least until Penny returns fully. 

Or this becomes a Cerberus, making it hard to start any consistently.

Gotta figure Penny comes back to cloud the situation at some point but Carson seems like an easy call as a 2020 value feature back, again. 

i agree though - I was sure they’d pick up a scat back / 3rd down guy in the draft. Carson showed pretty good hands last year though IIRC. 

Gotta figure Penny comes back to cloud the situation at some point but Carson seems like an easy call as a 2020 value feature back, again. 

i agree though - I was sure they’d pick up a scat back / 3rd down guy in the draft. Carson showed pretty good hands last year though IIRC. 
Last two games of the season, Homer had 5 & 6 catches respectively.  A couple catches a game in the postseason also.  

Last two games of the season, Homer had 5 & 6 catches respectively.  A couple catches a game in the postseason also.  
Homer was the first guy I thought of but then remembered his "questionable" pass protection. He'll need to make major strides in that department.

hyde really hurts carson imo
That’s how I see it.  If Carson has a fumble early then why wouldn’t they give Hyde the ball more?  Carson was a good value last year but with him coming off injury, the fumbling problems and Hyde in the picture I’m staying away from him at his ADP.  

Interesting development with Hyde joining the team - honestly think it's equal amounts risk mitigation for both Carson's fumbling and Penny's recovery. It likely impacts value of both Carson and Penny, but not sure at this point by how much. My gut is that numbers may decline for Carson given potentially more of a split load, but not so split that Carson's opportunity is diminished by the signing.

Users who are viewing this thread