What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chris Carson, SEA - 10.7.21 - Neck Issue (3 Viewers)

Right now I've got Carson queued up third on my waiver order (behind Cohen and Kerwynn Williams).  I'm actually debating whether Breida might be a better dart throw if I don't get either of the first two guys.

The issues in Seattle are clear (several other RBs, bad O line).  Meanwhile Breida could be useful with Hyde, or a potential HR if Hyde goes down.  Breida had a quiet week 1, so you maybe don't even need to use a claim to get him.

Right now I've got Carson queued up third on my waiver order (behind Cohen and Kerwynn Williams).  I'm actually debating whether Breida might be a better dart throw if I don't get either of the first two guys.
Cardinals just brought back Chris Johnson. It's more of a mess over there than in Seattle.

I would queue it up Cohen, Carson, Kerwynn.

I am going to be really surprised if Johnson gets meaningful carries.  Seattle is a big mess.  AZ should only be a small mess. 
I think Carson is more of a legit RB with a much higher ceiling than Kerwynn Williams. If we're looking at RBBC in both places, give me the higher upside player in Carson.

Cardinals just brought back Chris Johnson. It's more of a mess over there than in Seattle.

I would queue it up Cohen, Carson, Kerwynn.
I don't know if I would call it more of a mess in Arizona. Kerwynn clearly beat out CJ in the preseason. I see him getting the bulk of the work with Ellington getting more passing down work and Johnson being the goal line/short yardage back. In Seattle Rawl's is going to be back in the mix as the defacto starter and I can see the bulk of the workload going to whomever has the hot hand between Rawl's, Lacy and Carson. I just don't see Pete Carroll committing to any one back there unless one of them just blows it out of the park. Carson and Lacy had a chance in Week One and both failed to do anything spectacular.

I don't know if I would call it more of a mess in Arizona. Kerwynn clearly beat out CJ in the preseason. I see him getting the bulk of the work with Ellington getting more passing down work and Johnson being the goal line/short yardage back. In Seattle Rawl's is going to be back in the mix as the defacto starter and I can see the bulk of the workload going to whomever has the hot hand between Rawl's, Lacy and Carson. I just don't see Pete Carroll committing to any one back there unless one of them just blows it out of the park. Carson and Lacy had a chance in Week One and both failed to do anything spectacular.
I think Eddie will end up being the goal line back

File it under the obscure and intangible but Carson just looks like a RB out there doing RB things and he appears to be able to be more than a one dimensional player. I think that bodes well for him. I don't know if that means he can take the job from the others in Seattle, but I think he is in the game, he will be productive. It really comes down to how much opportunity he gets.

Williams, on the other hand, is in a situation where I'm not discrediting him but I'm concerned for the team. I just don't know if they can function without DJ. I think they can and they will be competitive but it would not surprise me one bit if they lose to the Colts that this quickly becomes a lost season with very little effort all year. 

They take the cake though, no?
It's close but at least they got some push on a couple of Carson's carries. I thought DET was worse to be honest. I still have more to watch.

If you look at the RB landscape as a whole, a lot of backs struggled to break 4ypc last week. 

SameSongNDance said:
It's close but at least they got some push on a couple of Carson's carries. I thought DET was worse to be honest. I still have more to watch.

If you look at the RB landscape as a whole, a lot of backs struggled to break 4ypc last week. 
So I was listening to Greg Cosell the other day talk about Seattle's OLine. He said that Seattle schemes the OL for Wilson, who is not a typical pocket passer as we all know. So it is supposed to shift around and at times that could look ugly because of that dynamic. But it does kind of explain why Wilson tends to do better as the season goes on. Still, I hope that translates to quality carries for Carson.

When the dust settled from waivers...I ended up with Carson this time from the group of Cohen, Williams, Buck Allen.

I ended up having him ahead of several of those guys anyway as a possible pick up....and dumped Lacy for him.  I think looking far enough ahead...this may be the right play.

When the dust settled from waivers...I ended up with Carson this time from the group of Cohen, Williams, Buck Allen.

I ended up having him ahead of several of those guys anyway as a possible pick up....and dumped Lacy for him.  I think looking far enough ahead...this may be the right play.
had drafted both lacy and rawls and ended up with carson last night as well for lacy. maxed out my cap in a salary cap league for him over cohen, allen, and williams, the same three u listed. between rawls and carson i am hoping to land a legit RB2 starter by mid season.

I am a long time Seahawks fan, after we drafted Carson in the 7th I went and read tons of threads plus watched plenty of film on him;  Pete Carroll loves him, the players rave about his veteran presence the kid will be a stud and he will be the starter.

The Hawks have a fairly nice run friendly schedule,  yes I drafted him, I took him in the 13th round in a Dynasty PPR League, the kid can block, he has good hands, amazing awareness some have compared him to Terrell Davis/David Johnson for his one quick cut to the hole and go.

The one negative is Tom Cable will have to rework that left side as losing Fant in pre-season hurt us, if anybody can accomplish this it's Tom Cable!

Pick him up before the train leaves the station!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a long time Seahawks fan, after we drafted Carson in the 7th I went and read tons of threads plus watched plenty of film on him;  Pete Carroll loves him, the players rave about his veteran presence the kid will be a stud and he will be the starter.

The Hawks have a fairly nice run friendly schedule,  yes I drafted him, I took him in the 13th round in a Dynasty PPR League, the kid can block, he has good hands, amazing awareness  some have compared him to Terrell Davis/David Johnson for his one quick cut to the hole and go.

The one negative is Tom Cable will have to rework that left side as losing Fant in pre-season hurt us, if anybody can accomplish this it's Tom Cable!

Pick him up before the train leaves the station!
Yep. Tom Cable can coach up any O-Line.  

Didn't their line suck last year?
If I have to explain it then you don't know much about Tom Cable converting players as we have one of the lowest Payroll for O-Line and Cable coverts players as Seattle spends their money on the defense not the O-line!

Fant did not play college football he played basketball, the last time he played football was in grade 8, out of necessity he started for us last year and he actually did remarkable well considering the situation; he came into his own towards the end of the season and earned the right to start this year.  We also picked up Joeckel from Jacksonville the O-line was addressed in the off season but unfortunately injuries happen.

Cable has converted his fair share of players so commenting didn't there o-line suck last year adds nothing to the conversation if you don't what you're commenting on.

I've heard repeatedly what a great job Cable does coaching up OL who were drafted late or undrafted and in some cases switching positions. My question is, when was the last season the Seahawks actually had even an average performing OL, and what the heck has Cable been doing since then? Or does the blame lie fully with Schneider for refusing to devote resources to OL?

Either way, results speak. If this level of OL play is what the Seahawks planned on, they need to change their methods. If they planned for better results, then who is failing, Schneider or Cable?

I've heard repeatedly what a great job Cable does coaching up OL who were drafted late or undrafted and in some cases switching positions. My question is, when was the last season the Seahawks actually had even an average performing OL, and what the heck has Cable been doing since then? Or does the blame lie fully with Schneider for refusing to devote resources to OL?

Either way, results speak. If this level of OL play is what the Seahawks planned on, they need to change their methods. If they planned for better results, then who is failing, Schneider or Cable?
2005 O-Line Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson, not under the Tom Cable era though, I can't imagine Cable enjoys having to convert players and we certainly could've drafted better than Malik McDowell and addressed the line.

I;ve  really liked what I've seen from Carson from the pre-season and in Week 1.    Picked him up on waivers yesterday in both of my 12-team leagues as a speculative add.   I think that sooner rather than later given Thomas Rawls' propensity to get injured, the kid takes the starting RB job by the throat and runs (pardon the pun) with it.   

Pete Carroll is clearly intrigued with Carson.   

Rawls owner here. Not sure I want to double down on the Seattle rb situation, and I'd have to drop perine or foreman to claim Carson off the wire. This thread is steering me that way though, and it's just swapping lotto tickets. Carson is getting PT. 

Rawls owner myself. Let me ask everybody what is more likely....Thomas Rawls comes back this week vs SF, 100% healed from his ankle, pissed off as hell, with a coach that wants to feed him...and takes over that backfield...or a 7th round draft pick who couldn't even start his senior year at Okla State, whose entire stat line last week was one run...overtakes healthy Rawls?

I get how he's an intriguing handcuff to Rawls but anybody who thinks health permitting Carson is actually better..I just don't see it.

Rawls owner myself. Let me ask everybody what is more likely....Thomas Rawls comes back this week vs SF, 100% healed from his ankle, pissed off as hell, with a coach that wants to feed him...and takes over that backfield...or a 7th round draft pick who couldn't even start his senior year at Okla State, whose entire stat line last week was one run...overtakes healthy Rawls?

I get how he's an intriguing handcuff to Rawls but anybody who thinks health permitting Carson is actually better..I just don't see it.
Rawls is an incredible talented back but with his running style he will not stay healthy; coaches and Lynch have spoken to him about picking contact holes and protecting his body, Rawls stated himself in an interview that's not the way he likes to run. Pete Carroll wants a RB he can rely on, I love Rawls but I feel he will be injured again with his smash into and over everybody running style.

Just Win Baby said:
My question is, when was the last season the Seahawks actually had even an average performing OL,
They were a single play from winning back to back titles in 2013 and 2014.  That count?

rawdog said:

Um, Rawls only started as a senior because he transferred to the MAC, and remind me again, what round was he drafted in?

rawdog said:

Rawls was an undrafted guy out of the MAC who has 8 career NFL TD's. He's not some world beater. And he can't stay healthy. Carson looked great last week and it wasn't just that one run. He had a run where he was stopped way behind the line of scrimmage and turned it into a 3 yard gain. He's looked like a stud all pre-season while Rawls hasn't played because he was hurt. Maybe Rawls plays well this week but it's only a matter of time before Carson gets a bigger share of the carries and Rawls gets hurt again.

They were a single play from winning back to back titles in 2013 and 2014.  That count?
That is not a direct answer to the question.

I might have guessed that 2013 or 2014 was the answer to the question you quoted, but you ignored the rest. WTF has the Seattle brain trust been doing with their OL since then?

This is my problem with the RB situation in Seattle.  Rawls and Carson look like equal talents.  Not sure which one gets the nod.   Feels like a guessing game 

This is my problem with the RB situation in Seattle.  Rawls and Carson look like equal talents.  Not sure which one gets the nod.   Feels like a guessing game 
Agree

I have both but probably can't start either this week. Waiting..

I don't understand where that's coming from, but it seems like a lot of people feel this way.  Carson wasnt getting carries, lacy sucked, Carson got touches, he looked pretty good, Carroll said he earned more and he's excited to see him.  That doesn't mean he's earned the starting job. He didn't even imply it. It seems like he's pretty clear that Rawls is starting this week if he's healthy. It sounded like Rawls was close to playing last week so I'd expect him to be healthy, and that he sat for lacy in part because he was playing green bay Ann's another week of rest was a luxury thert thought they could afford.  I'm not sure Rawls will be any good for fantasy, but I would bet on him leading the backfield in carries and i like the matchup against the 49ers a lot better than green bay. 

Full disclosure,  I have Rawls and lacy in one league and Carson in another, so I can't say I'm really rooting for one over the other.  I'm starting Rawls if he plays and benching lacy and Carson.  I'm very close to dropping lacy but will give it one more week in case he bulldozes the 49ers, but the Seattle line just didn't seem to get any push last week and there doesn't appear to be much help on the horizon. I have no plans to start Carson until I see him take over, but if and when he does I'll be happy to have him in the mix 

Not a bad place to be in actually. Pete will utilize the best of both and give opportunities. RBBC is a common theme nowadays. Only a few RB's in the league are solid every down backs. I'll take the Carson gamble on my bench for now and potential RB #2, Flex, bye week, fill in play for future injuries, etc. Lacy doesn't look too good and Rawls has a tough time staying healthy. 

WTF has the Seattle brain trust been doing with their OL since then?
Seattle has invested more draft capital into their offense line than any other team in the past 6* years. You can argue that they haven't invested those picks well, but they have spent the picks. Also, they just lost their starting left tackle just before the start of the season. They were super excited about Fant headed into the season for many good reasons. Not sure that too many teams would be able to adjust on the fly and expect great results in that situation. 

As it is pretty much every year, people are going to freak out after week 1 and overreact. Like the zen master and Gust Avrakodos said, we'll see

* Note: Can't remember the specific number of picks and the specific number of years, but it was quite a few, and many were higher round picks. 

Seattle has invested more draft capital into their offense line than any other team in the past 6* years. You can argue that they haven't invested those picks well, but they have spent the picks. Also, they just lost their starting left tackle just before the start of the season. They were super excited about Fant headed into the season for many good reasons. Not sure that too many teams would be able to adjust on the fly and expect great results in that situation. 

As it is pretty much every year, people are going to freak out after week 1 and overreact. Like the zen master and Gust Avrakodos said, we'll see

* Note: Can't remember the specific number of picks and the specific number of years, but it was quite a few, and many were higher round picks. 
2nd round Center this year
1st round Tackle in 2016
3rd round Guard in 2016
2 4th round Guards in 2015
2nd round OT in 2014

2nd round Center this year
1st round Tackle in 2016
3rd round Guard in 2016
2 4th round Guards in 2015
2nd round OT in 2014

Found a very detailed article on Field Gulls. 

Headline: Tom Cable may be doing a better job with the Seahawks offensive line than you think
Part 1: Evaluating the offensive line from multiple perspectives, including player development, production and what fans should expect going forward.

LINK: https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/8/24/16196040/tom-cable-seahawks-offensive-line-evaluation-career-av-draft-picks

Not sure if there was a "Part 2". 

Users who are viewing this thread