What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Kenny Golladay, NYG (2 Viewers)

Run It Up

Footballguy
Guess ill start this, Kenny is on my board for this coming draft. NFL comparison would be AJ Green, almost identical combines. Dynamic big body WR, was effective his 2nd year carrying out of the backfield, averaging 9.6 ypc.

6'4" 218 lbs, turns 23 24 in November. 

Combine vs (AJ Green), not sure how the NFL does combine grades cause they gave Green a 8.69 and Golladay a 5.49, seems like a huge penalty for being an FCS player?

• 4.50 forty = (4.50)
  • 18 reps = (18)
  • 35.5" vert > (34.5")
  • 120" broad < (126")
  • 7.00 3-cone < (6.91)
  • 4.15 shuttle > (4.21)
Film:

vs Western Mich
vs Toledo
vs Western Illinoise
Highlights

Stats:

Receiving

Rushing

Scrimmage

Year

School

Conf

Class

Pos

G

Rec

Yds

Avg

TD

Att

Yds

Avg

TD

Plays

Yds

Avg

TD

Career

Northern Illinois

Northern Illinois

MAC

JR

WR

Northern Illinois

MAC

SR

WR

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be a good late round receiver from a small school. 

Not trying to be critical but are we going to have a thread for every player?  Just trying to decide whether to start a Jalen Robinette thread. 

Not trying to be critical but are we going to have a thread for every player?  Just trying to decide whether to start a Jalen Robinette thread. 
I start dynasty threads for any player I think has potential and doesn't have a thread yet. The point is to get information for dynasty purposes and to become the player thread after they are drafted. This definitely wont be my last one this class.

Previously, threads on Ty Montgomery, Austin Hooper, Devon Cajuste, Jake Mcgee - 50/50 aint bad.

I start dynasty threads for any player I think has potential and doesn't have a thread yet. The point is to get information for dynasty purposes and to become the player thread after they are drafted. This definitely wont be my last one this class.

Previously, threads on Ty Montgomery, Austin Hooper, Devon Cajuste, Jake Mcgee - 50/50 aint bad.
Fair enough.  And frankly I hadn't heard of the kid. 

Feel free, there's no reason whatsoever that any given player of value shouldn't have a dedicated discussion thread.  And if he's not worth discussing that will play itself out ;)

Do petition for any new thread to be added to the Index Thread though so we can find it easier.

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline relays that the Bengals worked out Northern Illinois WR Kenny Golladay individually at Friday's pro day.
The Lions also sent their wide receivers coach to the NIU pro day. CBS Sports' Rob Rang thinks that the 6-foot-4, 218-pounder is worthy of more draft love than he is currently receiving, writing that he "looked terrific during the [Combine] position drills." Golladay won't be creeping into the Day 1 conversation, but a mid-round selection on Day 2 is very much in play, here.

Source: Draft Analyst 
Mar 11 - 3:27 PM

I say start it but I'm bias because I start lots of these unknown player threads. I was considering just grouping them together but individual player threads seem to be more relevant than a bunch of the other threads that get floated out there. 

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein likens Northern Illinois WR Kenny Golladay to Jordan Taylor.
This size/speed prospect has been receiving more buzz in recent weeks. "Golladay could be targeted by teams looking for a field-stretcher with size who has the potential to become a matchup problem in the redzone," Zierlein wrote. "Golladay has the talent to become an eventual starter in the league." The 6-foot-4, 218-pound Golladay turned in a 40-yard dash of 4.50 seconds at the NFL Combine. He logged an 87-1,156-8 receiving line during the 2016 campaign.

Source: NFL.com 
Mar 24 - 1:18 PM

Lions selected Northern Illinois WR Kenny Golladay with the No. 96 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.

Golladay (6’4/218) spent two seasons at NIU after transferring from North Dakota, compiling a 160-2,285-18 (14.3 YPR) receiving line and earning first-team All-MAC from the conference’s coaches as a senior. PFF College charted Golladay with just five career drops among 165 catchable targets. Golladay held his own at the Combine, running 4.5-flat with adequate vertical (35 ½") and broad (10’0") jumps. While Golladay needs to get stronger and improve his route technique, he is an intriguing H/W/S prospect with sure hands and developmental upside. Even for a team that needs receiving help in Detroit, Golladay is more multi-year project than year-one contributor.

I don't think they know what they are talking about. His gauntlet was fantastic. catching horrible throws. His youtube highlight also show nothing having to do with body catching.

From NFL.com : Catches it away from his body and with desired extension.

Picked a couple random games over past 2 years. Sorry, don't see the body catching they blabbered about & yes they did blabber about it. I was watching it at that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mn2j6SVy1I&t=139s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHRLJcRBgGY

I don't think they know what they are talking about. His gauntlet was fantastic. catching horrible throws. His youtube highlight also show nothing having to do with body catching.

From NFL.com : Catches it away from his body and with desired extension.

Picked a couple random games over past 2 years. Sorry, don't see the body catching they blabbered about & yes they did blabber about it. I was watching it at that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mn2j6SVy1I&t=139s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHRLJcRBgGY
So where do you rank him Iod001?

Guess ill start this, Kenny is on my board for this coming draft. NFL comparison would be AJ Green, almost identical combines. Dynamic big body WR, was effective his 2nd year carrying out of the backfield, averaging 9.6 ypc.

6'4" 218 lbs, turns 23 in November. 

Combine vs (AJ Green), not sure how the NFL does combine grades cause they gave Green a 8.69 and Golladay a 5.49, seems like a huge penalty for being an FCS player?

• 4.50 forty = (4.50)
  • 18 reps = (18)
  • 35.5" vert > (34.5")
  • 120" broad < (126")
  • 7.00 3-cone < (6.91)
  • 4.15 shuttle > (4.21)
Film:

vs Western Mich
vs Toledo
vs Western Illinoise
Highlights

Stats:

Receiving

Rushing

Scrimmage

Year

School

Conf

Class

Pos

G

Rec

Yds

Avg

TD

Att

Yds

Avg

TD

Plays

Yds

Avg

TD

Career

Northern Illinois

Northern Illinois

MAC

JR

WR

Northern Illinois

MAC

SR

WR

Great call, obviously some teams liked him more than the fantasy community did.  Just one note, he isn't from the FCS.

Greg Cosell analyzes Lions' 2017 draft picks
Excerpt:

Round 3 (85) Kenny Golladay, WR, Northern Illinois

Cosell: "Golladay is a fascinating guy. Small-school guy. He presents an intriguing size/speed profile and there are snaps where he clearly looks the part. See with these taller guys stride length becomes a factor because even if they don't run 4.3, I mean he ran a 4.5, which is fine, but he's 6-4, 218, so he has stride length.

"I think he's a little unrefined as a route runner, which most college guys are, but I think he is definitely a little unrefined. He needs coaching to understand the nuances and details of NFL route running so his size and speed can become a factor.

"The question I had about Golladay is, can he present the vertical dimension at the NFL level because of his size and stride length? If teams believe that he can, then his value increases dramatically. My guess is, because the Lions drafted him in the third round, they see him down the road as that guy.

"He was a very interesting guy to watch. He's tall, he's sleek looking, he's 218 (pounds), but doesn't look it. His stride length and build-up speed are a big part of his game, especially when he had free access of the line of scrimmage. He did get on top of college corners, so now you have to decide if you think he can get on top of NFL corners.

"He's a really intriguing prospect."

He seems to be pretty forgotten in early rookie drafts. I've been participating in DLF mock drafts and passing on him just to see how far he would far if I don't draft him. He's picked after numerous round 5-6 players despite being a round 3 selection.

Slightly ridiculous question, but does anyone know how old Golladay is?  I've seen conflicting reports as to whether he is 23 or 24, and different birthdays listed for him (turning 24 on Nov. 16, or he already turned 24 on Jan. 1).  Just asking for dynasty drafting purposes...

He seems to be pretty forgotten in early rookie drafts. I've been participating in DLF mock drafts and passing on him just to see how far he would far if I don't draft him. He's picked after numerous round 5-6 players despite being a round 3 selection.
Great value given his athletic profile, college production, draft capital and landing spot.

Slightly ridiculous question, but does anyone know how old Golladay is?  I've seen conflicting reports as to whether he is 23 or 24, and different birthdays listed for him (turning 24 on Nov. 16, or he already turned 24 on Jan. 1).  Just asking for dynasty drafting purposes...
I honestly couldn't tell you where I saw that he turns 23 in Novemeber, I did a cursory search just now and I found a tweet from the NIU twitter (as well as a few others) that says his birthday is Nov 3, was posted in 2015. ROTO says he is 24, with a DOB of 1/1/1993, which makes me think its a place holder. Found an NIU article about a game they played Nov 3 2015

The junior, who was celebrating his 22nd birthday Tuesday, made a one-handed catch while dragging his foot and falling out of the end zone.
So he will be turning 24 this November, I will edit the original post.

I took him a few days ago at pick 5.9 of rookie draft, player I intended to take over him went at 5.8 so was not who I was targeting. I'm intrigued by big fast WR's with good production but to be totally honest what got me to pick was more opportunity over talent, the 3rd WR job in Detroit is about as open as any 3rd WR job in the NFL and with a good fairly young QB.

The one concern I had with him was his YAC is pretty terrible,  I don't recall the exact stats but not good. Also as was just referenced he's on the older side but this thread makes me feel better because I was not excited about the pick when I made it.

I'm bullish on him, he's pretty much a taller Marvin Jones who is flourishing in the same offense.

Got him Uber late. He's got a pass happy QB. Tate and Jones won't be around forever.

ESPN Lions reporter Michael Rothstein projects third-rounder Kenny Golladay as the No. 3 receiver.

This is just a mid-May projection, but the Lions likely would not have selected Golladay in the third round if they did not think he could contribute early. Sure-handed with solid triangle numbers and college production, Golladay is a great value pick in Dynasty formats.

Source: ESPN 
May 15 - 9:53 AM

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/05/notes_and_observations_from_de_4.html#incart_river_index

Notes and observations from Detroit Lions OTAs

[...]

-- Among the rookies, I was particularly impressed with Kenny Golladay. At 6-foot-4, he's impossible to miss, even with 10 other receivers on the roster right now. He lined up mostly outside, but got some time in the slot as well, where there will be opportunities for snaps this year with Anquan Boldin out (at least for now). Golladay's hands look as good as advertised too, sucking in every ball I saw thrown his way. That includes a nice catch in traffic against defensive back Des Lawrence during one-on-ones. 

Per Tim Twentyman of the Lions' official website, third-round WR Kenny Golladay has been "very good" during the two open OTAs to the media.

"He has good hands and has shown to have a knack for getting open," Twentyman wrote. "He can also go up and get the 50/50 balls. I have yet to see a ball hit the ground when thrown Golladay’s way through two open OTA practices." A height-weight-speed freak at 6'4/213 with 4.5-flat speed, Golladay has a chance to ascend the Lions' receiver depth chart very quickly. He's already in the running for No. 3 duties and could threaten Marvin Jones and Golden Tate in due time.

Source: detroitlions.com 
May 31 - 2:49 PM

As long as Detroit doesn't resign boldin I think Kenny g will have a role here this year and possibly develop into Staffords go to guy when jones and/or Tate decline or leave. One thing golloway and Michael roberts have is huge hands, and for a qb that seems to be plagued with drops by his receivers getting some sure hands in there will be a relief. If one of them can thrive in the red zone they could get a lot of tds. Current receiving threats haven't been red zone threats, so I'm looking forward to seeing them this year. Martavis bryant is my comp, with room to add lbs to his frame. 

I've went through the rookie WR hype too many times 

WR Sharpe last year the latest way too over hyped rookie  WR's - everyone looks great in camp

I really, really like him. He has huge potential in that offense. He literally can be the guy.

Users who are viewing this thread