What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Kenny Golladay, NYG (1 Viewer)

hounder said:
Think I've seen 3 deep balls to Jones go off his fingertips, figure they will connect, but Golladay's production has me wondering if the main outside wr for Lions is Golladay.  How do people see Jones vs Golladay stat wise for rest of season? 
I think all 3 WRs are going to have good weeks. They were in comeback mode last week so everybody ate; there will be weeks where Galladay or Jones don't get theirs simply because of game plan or game script.

Everyone is super excited about the KG breakout but understand that he's still not getting as many plays called specifically for him compared to MJJ or Tate. But he's a playmaker and he has definitely expanded his route tree this year.

Jim Bob Cooter almost always plays it safe in the first half or first three quarters, and if it's close or (distant memories) they're ahead, they will continue to dink and dunk with Theo and Golden. They don't open things up and let Stafford do Stafford things until they're hopelessly behind.

IMO Tate is the safe PPR play because he's gonna catch 90+ for a fifth straight year, while MJJ or Galladay will have more Brandin Cooks type production - not a ton of targets unless they've abandoned the run & screen game, they'll each have big days and half their games will be meh. KG is by far the most talented but you cannot legislate usage.

KG will be the teams #1 in 2019 when Tate is playing somewhere else. Personally I don't think he will have enough targets to get here this year.

Just for kicks, let's look at the too-small-to-really-know sample size of 2018 through 2 games:

Stafford - 99 attempts. I am fairly confident he won't have 792 PA this season. Hasn't topped 600 since 2014. Has average 36.47 /g in the JBC era, so let's make it 37 for 592 on the season.

Tate - 28 targets extrapolates to 224. Has averaged 8.41 targets in his Lions career, fairly consistent production, so put him down for 135 94-1070-5

Golladay - 21 targets = 168 over 16. That is Megatron market share, seems highly unlikely. But he doesn't need that many IMO. 120 71-1075-8

MJJ - 17 targets = 136, his career high is 107. Like Tate, very consistent year over year. Just using the averages from his last 49 games: 108 62-965-6

RBs - 29 targets so far. In the JBC era: 2015 - 164, 2016 - 114, 2017 -111. I am projecting 135 this year. Theo is still a security blanket and Kerryon is a good receiver.

TEs - non-factor thus far, let's give them 50 targets (which might be generous but not by much.)

TJ Jones - 49 targets a year ago, but much of that production was when KG was hurt. But he gets a few looks every game. 25 targets.

That's 573 targets so I think we're in the ballpark.

71-1075-8 is great value for where he was drafted. Not WR1 territory, more like high WR2, but not bad for a second year player who was a little raw coming out.

Tate > Golladay > Jones

But the gaps are not huge. 
Tate = Golladay > Jones (for the season)

IMO what Golladay gives up to Tate in recpts/yds he will make up in TD's. Both Tate and Golladay will exceed Jones in all categories by 15-20%.

Golladay - 21 targets = 168 over 16. That is Megatron market share, seems highly unlikely. But he doesn't need that many IMO. 120 71-1075-8

71-1075-8 is great value for where he was drafted. Not WR1 territory, more like high WR2, but not bad for a second year player who was a little raw coming out.
Nice analysis but I would respectfully disagree with the 16-game recpts/yds totals (TD's seem very reasonable).

Golladay in the first two games just put up 13/203/1. That is 6.5/101.5 per game.

For him to end the season at 71/1075 that would mean 58/872 for the rest of the season. Or 4/62 per game. Not high WR2 territory on a per game basis.

Personally, I'd give him roughly 5/70 for the next 14 games (which averages roughly 80/1100 for a 16 game season)

(5/70 x 14) plus (6.5/101.5 x first 2 games) =  83/1180/9 for 2018. 

Tate = Golladay > Jones (for the season)

IMO what Golladay gives up to Tate in recpts/yds he will make up in TD's. Both Tate and Golladay will exceed Jones in all categories by 15-20%.
Yea maybe, but Staff targets Jones a lot down the field and in RZ.....he's just missed him on several throws.

Golladay is 4th (!!!) in air yards through 2 games behind only Julio, Hopkins, and AB.  Just sort on air yards at this link.

http://airyards.com/tables.html

Can't wait to see him on the primetime stage on SNF against the Pats who just got torched by Blake Bortles.  I think if anything Golladay is still underrated on the weekly or ROS rankings.
I'm going to have Golladay and Gordon going on SNF. Pretty sure all the scoring from those two is going to break my league's server.

Nice analysis but I would respectfully disagree with the 16-game recpts/yds totals (TD's seem very reasonable).

Golladay in the first two games just put up 13/203/1. That is 6.5/101.5 per game.

For him to end the season at 71/1075 that would mean 58/872 for the rest of the season. Or 4/62 per game. Not high WR2 territory on a per game basis.

Personally, I'd give him roughly 5/70 for the next 14 games (which averages roughly 80/1100 for a 16 game season)

(5/70 x 14) plus (6.5/101.5 x first 2 games) =  83/1180/9 for 2018. 
Are you projecting 138-140 targets for him? So you think KG will see more targets than Golden Tate? #15 career high is 135.

CORRECTION - had 143 in 2014, high since then (JBC era) is 135

Seens unlikely he’ll be much over 60% catch rate. I don’t think Stafford has ever had a high completion percentage to whoever was playing opposite Tate, but let’s look it up:

2014 - Calvin 55%

2015 - Calvin 59%

2016 - MJJ 53%

2017 - MJJ 57%, KG 58%

2018 - MJJ 47%, KG 62% (2 G sample)

Hmmm

It could happen, if KG is a generational talent. I think he’s a really good player. I don’t think he’s going to be elite this year. But I guess we’ll find out over the next 3 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, there were 10 WRs with 140 or more targets in 2017, 12 in 2016 & 2015, 2014 it was 11.

I just don’t think under the current OC we are going to see a target hog. There’s just not a lot of variance in Detroit’s production once the sample size gets larger.

Are you projecting 138-140 targets for him? So you think KG will see more targets than Golden Tate? #15 career high is 135.

Seens unlikely he’ll be much over 60% catch rate. I don’t think Stafford has ever had a high completion percentage to whoever was playing opposite Tate, but let’s look it up:

2014 - Calvin 55%

2015 - Calvin 59%

2016 - MJJ 53%

2017 - MJJ 57%, KG 58%

2018 - MJJ 47%, KG 62% (2 G sample)

Hmmm

It could happen, if KG is a generational talent. I think he’s a really good player. I don’t think he’s going to be elite this year. But I guess we’ll find out over the next 3 months.
Yeah. Getting all the math to work out incorporating targets is tricky the shorter term you get.

For example, Tate's historical catch rate w/ Stafford is near 70% yet he is only 50% in the first two games. But Golladay is north of 60% so far. Go figure.

So I just triangulated the best I could using all available info without getting paralysis by analysis.

Perhaps the most important metric is just the simple eye test + Stafford loves to chuck it to him.

Calvin owner and now Golladay owner. Calvin in his last couple years with the horrible coaching staff, usually went the first half with zero or 1 catch. Pissed me off so bad. Golladay with 3 passes his way in 1st half, week 2 as the #2 or #3 WR.

Week1 12 targets, 6 in 1st half. It was criminal how little this team used Calvin until they were losing late in the game under Caldwell.

Calvin owner and now Golladay owner. Calvin in his last couple years with the horrible coaching staff, usually went the first half with zero or 1 catch. Pissed me off so bad. Golladay with 3 passes his way in 1st half, week 2 as the #2 or #3 WR.

Week1 12 targets, 6 in 1st half. It was criminal how little this team used Calvin until they were losing late in the game under Caldwell.
Yep. I drafted Calvin in the first round twice and was lectured by the powers-that-be that his lack of production was touchdown dependency and luck. Bull####. Look at Julio.  

hounder said:
Think I've seen 3 deep balls to Jones go off his fingertips, figure they will connect, but Golladay's production has me wondering if the main outside wr for Lions is Golladay.  How do people see Jones vs Golladay stat wise for rest of season? 
in the preseason and late in training camp, Golladay was being used in 2WR sets. he was being groomed for this kind of role on the outside.

If Jones is out with this ankle injury on Sunday night, I assume that makes KG more valuable as a fantasy play.

My question is who lines up in 3-wide sets? Would it be T.J. Jones?

Golladay is third in the NFL with 111 snaps, trailing just Antonio Brown and JuJu. He's fifth in the NFL (tied with AB) with 11 first-down receptions. He's also third in the NFL with six explosive plays as measured by Pro Football Focus.
He looks great. How are the Lions going to mess this up? 

Shhh...I've rostered him twice in my two leegs and in the sub contest. Don't. jinx. this.  
I love him and he looks great. In no way do I want a jinx on any of my beloved Lions. However, if things do go south, remember it wasn't me that did it. It was just the Lion way. 

DocHolliday said:
WR2 every week.  Im an idiot for not starting this guy this week. 
Currently WR8 in PPR. His snap count, targets, red zone usage and air yards point to him being a WR1. I expect it to continue and am comfortable saying Golladay will finish as a top 12 WR barring injury.

Currently WR8 in PPR. His snap count, targets, red zone usage and air yards point to him being a WR1. I expect it to continue and am comfortable saying Golladay will finish as a top 12 WR barring injury.
Yep. His aDOT before last night was 15.8 yards. I'm not sure where it is today, but I'm glad I grabbed him late in my leagues. I reached for Gordon, and he (Golladay) has carried me into relevance in those leagues.  

So Golladay is running over Tate in two-wide, just like in camp. 

Sometimes camp is indeed important.  

I've had trade offers flying in for Golladay in my 16-team PPR dynasty auction league that I got him in last year.  I'm in dead last mostly because people have had their birthday party against me, leading the league in points against by a significant margin so far.  I own his rights through 2020 with an option to extend beyond that.  I'm a Lions fan so it's really hard not to be a homer here, but I'm not trading him for anything less than a WR2 and people are offering me Ross or Cobb for him.  I'm not crazy expecting a strong WR2 for him am I?

I've had trade offers flying in for Golladay in my 16-team PPR dynasty auction league that I got him in last year.  I'm in dead last mostly because people have had their birthday party against me, leading the league in points against by a significant margin so far.  I own his rights through 2020 with an option to extend beyond that.  I'm a Lions fan so it's really hard not to be a homer here, but I'm not trading him for anything less than a WR2 and people are offering me Ross or Cobb for him.  I'm not crazy expecting a strong WR2 for him am I?
Not at all! I am trying to land him and Hyde for Landry and Howard. I feel as though I’m overpaying but the dude is not budging. 

He’s already a strong WR2, BUT he’s a strong WR2 with real WR1 potential in the not too distant future.  

He’s a guy I’d trade for in dynasty not one I’d probably be looking to part with.

Thanks for reaffirming my stance on him.  I'm not trying to move him, but the vultures see the team at the bottom of the standings and think they can pick at it and I've had several offers randomly tossed my way this week from different teams.  He's definitely someone people are targeting.

Oh sure, now Golladay's a stud. But two months ago people were #####ing at me for calling him, "the closest thing Stafford has had to Megatron since he left".
I remember that, lol. I can’t speak for anyone else but I was certainly not busting your balls because the comparison was off, but just the fact that it was such a limited sample size. 

I traded Dez for him straight up right after the season when it wasn't apparent how things would play out. I'm feeling pretty good about that deal right now. 

How's the matchup with Dallas this week? Looks like they are ranked 3rd against the pass. Is Dallas that stout?

Oh sure, now Golladay's a stud. But two months ago people were #####ing at me for calling him, "the closest thing Stafford has had to Megatron since he left".
I would not call him a stud. He's one of many strong WR2-3 types out there. High volume offense but with 3 strong targets. He doesn't look anything like Calvin to me...maybe Calvin end of his career with bad knees. 

bolldpt said:
How's the matchup with Dallas this week? Looks like they are ranked 3rd against the pass. Is Dallas that stout?
Dallas is horrific offensively so the Lions should run a lot of plays.

bolldpt said:
They're playing good defense but haven't faced a team with 3 good WRs like the Lions 

They may not score either so don't expect a shootout

ETA: they = Dallas

Figured this might help gauge current value:

Dynasty - 12 team PPR Start 1QB,1-3RB,1-4WR,1-3TE

Contender with RB depth sent:

Philip Lindsay, Tarik Cohen, 2019 1st

for Kenny Golladay, James White

I've drafted him both years in my main league. Some of us would have agreed with you. Golden Tate and Marvin are different types of receivers. Golladay, as some have mentioned on the board, is Babytron. 

that's for @Ilov80s, who tuned me into that. 

Golladay is a stud. The only negative from a dynasty perspective is that he's a bit old for a 2nd year player.  He turns 25 in a month. 

Tate with a shoulder injury for this weekend. Something to keep an eye on.  If he ever gets some of Tate's targets  . . .

Users who are viewing this thread